Astronomy/The Physics and sciences Involved in outer space

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
CaptainBlicero
CaptainBlicero
ARRRRRRRR!
CaptainBlicero
ARRRRRRRR!
ARRRRRRRR!

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:49 pm

Post by CaptainBlicero »

mathcam wrote:Gravity is also easily explained: All molecules all continuously doubling in size every second. Thus, what appears to us to be us landing on the ground after jumping up is really just the earth catching up...it's doubled in size and has risen to meet our feet.
Mathcam - are you plagiarizing Scott Adams, or did you come up with this independently?
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:33 am

Post by mathcam »

Very nice. I am indeed plagiarizing Scott Adams. I wondered if anyone would catch that.

Cam
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:49 pm

Post by bigbenwd »

who's scott adams?
"Plato is a lot of fun. It comes in many colors. You can put it through the plato fun factory, and make spaghetti out of it. You shouldn't eat it, but if you do, your poop turns different colors."
-Werebear
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:11 am

Post by mathcam »

He's the author of Dilbert cartoon. He mentioned this doubling thing as an appendix, though it's fairly easy to disprove.

Cam
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:17 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Actually I've heard that theory elsewhere before. Not in print, so I can't point to an older source. But I don't think it's a Scott Adams original.

Anyway, any other bizarre theories out there?
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:41 am

Post by mathcam »

Quantum field theory is pretty bizarre. :)

Cam
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:54 pm

Post by Stewie »

Cam? As an appendix to what? a dilbert cartoon? or a book which I would probably be interested in reading, and therefore you should tell me the title?

Interesting nontheless.
blackhawk
blackhawk
Hercule Paranoid
blackhawk
Hercule Paranoid
Hercule Paranoid

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:31 pm

Post by blackhawk »

Stewie wrote:Cam? As an appendix to what? a dilbert cartoon? or a book which I would probably be interested in reading, and therefore you should tell me the title?

Interesting nontheless.
No I think hes referring to the appendix inside of me(Blackhawk).Its a pretty interesting appendix.
McSlasherton
McSlasherton
Townie
McSlasherton
Townie
Townie

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Post by McSlasherton »

blackhawk wrote:
Stewie wrote:Cam? As an appendix to what? a dilbert cartoon? or a book which I would probably be interested in reading, and therefore you should tell me the title?

Interesting nontheless.
No I think hes referring to the appendix inside of me(Blackhawk).Its a pretty interesting appendix.
Ok now i've been watching this thread for a while now and I have one thing to say about this post by Blackhawk....this has to be the dumbest thing in this whole thread (and thats saying a lot)......altough dumb it is quite amusing...i'm sorry but I had to say this....but don't get me wrong I know him and he is quite funny.....so no offense Blackhawk..... :lol:
When the inventor of the drawing board messed things up...what did he go back to?
-- Bob Monkhouse
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:58 pm

Post by Quagmire »

I know the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

"42."
McSlasherton
McSlasherton
Townie
McSlasherton
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:21 pm

Post by McSlasherton »

That's odd........my science teacher told me that.......how does that work out?................:?
When the inventor of the drawing board messed things up...what did he go back to?
-- Bob Monkhouse
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:21 pm

Post by bigbenwd »

No way! that's the same answer I got!!

anyways, I find quantum universes quite interesteing and quite unfathomable at the same time. where antoher Universe is created each time a decision is made, and then the 2 different universes follow 2 different pats. Considering there is an infinite # of decisions each second.
"Plato is a lot of fun. It comes in many colors. You can put it through the plato fun factory, and make spaghetti out of it. You shouldn't eat it, but if you do, your poop turns different colors."
-Werebear
McSlasherton
McSlasherton
Townie
McSlasherton
Townie
Townie

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:24 pm

Post by McSlasherton »

So you're pretty much saying that there are an infinite number of universes....so...but...HOLD ON!!!........my brain hurts.... :shock:
-- Bob Monkhouse
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:43 pm

Post by bigbenwd »

exactly, mine too., I dont get it at all. What I'm saying is if one electron in one atom goes left, it makes a universe, if it goes right, it makes a different universe, and there is an infinite # of directions it can go. keep in mind that is only 1 electron in a single atom reating new universi.
-Werebear
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:21 pm

Post by Quagmire »

McSlasherton wrote:That's odd........my science teacher told me that.......how does that work out?................:?
Google for "Douglas Adams".

Also Google for "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:39 pm

Post by Cadmium »

Quagmire wrote:I know the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

"42."
And why is that?
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:53 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Also google for "the answer to life, the universe, and everything".
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:56 am

Post by mathcam »

Interesting nontheless.
Sorry, didn't see this. This was a comedy book by Scott Adams, which not full of Dilbert cartoons, did feature them prominently. It was by no means a book on theoreticaly physics, if that what you were asking. It was just an appendix that basically read "I've always wondered about this. Now that I'm writing a book, I can tell you about it too."

Cam
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:14 am

Post by Stewie »

Do you, by any chance, remember the name of the book?
CurtainDog
CurtainDog
Goon
CurtainDog
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:28 pm

Post by CurtainDog »

'the Dilbert Future'? Just a guess 'cos I haven't read the book, but that's the best google could come up with. His ideas on time sound pretty cool...
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:27 am

Post by mathcam »

It's either that or "The Dilbert Principle: A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions," but CurtainDog is probably right.

Cam
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:16 pm

Post by bigbenwd »

Did anyone else see that nova show (I think) that talked about Super-Massive black holes at the center of every galaxy?
-Werebear
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:01 am

Post by mathcam »

Hm, possibly. I've seen a couple of Nova shows related to that. Wasn't there was some news report yesterday of them finding a black hole in the middle of some galaxy?

Cam
shadyforce
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:09 am

Post by shadyforce »

Everyone knows that if you drop a buttered piece of bread, it will fall on the floor butter-side down. And if a cat is dropped from a window or other high and towering place, it will land on its feet. But both these ineluctable facts pose a deeper question. What happens if you attach a buttered piece of bread, butter-side up, to a cat's back and toss them both out the window? Will the cat land on its feet? Or will the butter splat on the ground?

Even if you are too lazy to do the experiment yourself you should be able to deduce the obvious result. The laws of butterology demand that the butter must hit the ground, and the equally strict laws of feline aerodynamics demand that the cat can not smash its furry back. If the combined construct were to land, nature would have no way to resolve this paradox. Therefore it simply does not fall. Ergo, you have discovered the secret of antigravity.

A buttered cat will, when released, quickly move to a height where the forces of cat-twisting and butter repulsion are in equilibrium. This equilibrium point can be modified by scraping off some of the butter, providing lift, or removing some of the cat's limbs, allowing descent. Most of the civilized species of the Universe already use this principle to drive their ships while within a planetary system. The loud humming heard by most sighters of UFOs is, in fact, the purring of several hundred tabbies.

The one obvious danger is, of course, if the cats manage to eat the bread off their backs they will instantly plummet. Of course the cats will land on their feet, but this usually doesn't do them much good, since right after they make their graceful landing several tons of red-hot starship and pissed off aliens crash on top of them.

This poses the question [obviously], how do you steer the buttered cat/spaceship? There is one way: we all know that wearing a white shirt while eating spaghetti bolognaise is a guarantee of a trip home to your Ma for the weekend to get your washing done. So you plaster the outside of your ship with white shirts. Place four nozzles symmetrically around the ship. Then you fire Ragu bolognaise sauce in the direction you want to go. The ship, drawn by the shirts, will automatically follow the sauce. If you use T-shirts, you won't go as fast as you would by using, say, expensive dress shirts.

This does not work as well in deep gravity wells, since the tomato sauce [now falling down a black hole, perhaps] will drag the ship with it, despite the counter force of the anti-gravity cat/butter machine. If this happens you're a dead man/woman. But you'll have to admit, it's not a bad way to go.
[size=75][color=darkblue]I'm never wrong... well I was wrong once but that was when I thought I'd made a mistake but hadn't.[/color][/size]
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:04 am

Post by bigbenwd »

Riiight, you have fun with that theory shady
anyways
yeah cam. As I remember from the show, it showed evidencet hat there are supermassive black holes at the center of each galxy, just some of them are more "active" than others. some, like ours, are "resting". While the one in the galaxy next to us is "eating" stars by the millisecond.

Which brings up another question, what is a blak hole, and where do you go if you are sucked into one?
-Werebear

Return to “General Discussion”