Mafia on TV

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Thoth
Thoth
Not the spot
Thoth
Not the spot
Not the spot

Mafia on TV

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:02 am

Post by Thoth »

I just watched the new show Traitor on the BBC. It's basically Mafia and was really a lot of fun to watch. It's on every day this week at 1800GMT. I'm certainly watching every episode.

There are 9 contestants that give some background info about themselves. 7 are citizens and telling the truth. 2 are traitors(that know each other) and are lying. Next they start discussing and asking questions to each other. At any time someone can stand up and accuse someone of being a traitor. They all vote secretly and if a majority votes traitor that players alignment is revealed and he's send away. Then they continue discussion.
Twice during the game the traitors get a chance to send one of the others away and they win if there are the same amount of citizens as there are traitors left. Once during the game the host (who does not know the traitors) gives a hint about one of them. This time (revealing that the remaining traitor has been driving a motorbike since the age of 4).

At the end the remaining players of the winning team get to share GBP5000 (about $8500)

In the episode I just watched one traitor was voted of right away, but the other one played extremely well. She voted with the majority of the town every, got someone lynched for voting correctly every round(that person voted Traitor, citizen citizen on the first 3 votes, was right every time, but all 3 were lynched anyhow) and in the 3-player endgame the remaining 2 citizens were basically fighting for the right to be able to accuse each other and completely trusted her.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:31 am

Post by MeMe »

Sounds great -- wonder if it's available on BBCAmerica...?
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:43 pm

Post by Quagmire »

MeMe wrote:Sounds great -- wonder if it's available on BBCAmerica...?
I can't wait to tune into British Broadcasting Company America.
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:53 pm

Post by bigbenwd »

BBCA is awesome, i like monty pythons fluing circus... then again, who dosent? *begins quoting MPFC for he next 432 hours*
"Plato is a lot of fun. It comes in many colors. You can put it through the plato fun factory, and make spaghetti out of it. You shouldn't eat it, but if you do, your poop turns different colors."
-Werebear
ages
ages
Goon
ages
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:46 am

Post by ages »

I watched tonights show. The "town" won. It was surprisingly good television. Didn't think the mafia played very well though, they never managed to coordinate their votes to get a pro town lynched, also they made an awful desicion for their night kill.
[size=75]Note: For those who were curious, playing mafia involves forming rational thoughts and expressing them with, well, sentences. Let's try this in the future.

Mathcam in a newbie game[/size]
BlueSin
BlueSin
Unique
BlueSin
Unique
Unique

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:21 pm

Post by BlueSin »

aw...I can't watch it at my country. :cry:
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:00 am

Post by bigbenwd »

What country do you live in?
"Plato is a lot of fun. It comes in many colors. You can put it through the plato fun factory, and make spaghetti out of it. You shouldn't eat it, but if you do, your poop turns different colors."
-Werebear
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:56 am

Post by mathcam »

They have celebrity mole, here, which is certainly mafia-esque. Roughly, it's like a reality show where the contestants (all celebrities) try to earn group money, and there's one "mole" who is trying to thwart them from doing so while remaining inconspiciuous. At the end of the day, they vote off the most suspicious.

there was a trivia show a while back that I got really excited about, but I can't remember its name. The format was like an individual family feud...you tried to pick the 1st-10th breeds of dog, for example (10th was worth 10 points, 9th 9 points, ... 1st was 1 point, so it was kind of tricky). But
one
player had the answer sheet the whole time. So they would have to get as many points as they could without making it clear that they had the answer sheet. At the end of the round, the players would vote off whoever they thought had been cheating. I wonder what happened to that show?

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:57 am

Post by mathcam »

Actually, this is a brilliant idea for a mini-game...of to Mish-Mash....

Cam
thorred
thorred
Goon
thorred
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:19 am

Post by thorred »

I watched a bit of Traitor, but I'm not a big fan of tv shows so I didn't like it much.
Kerplunk
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:03 am

Post by Kerplunk »

For the first time I watched Traitor tonight. It was real fun! I had one correct as Traitor, after I had very many wrongly accused of Traitor.

Tonight's show, the Traitors were very good and managed to stay in the game until there were only 4 players. So it's 2 against 2. Why didn't one of the Traitors stand up immediately accused one of the Citizens, voted him off and win the game?

As I'm asking the question, I already know the answer. :) Because the money is divided amongst the ones who remain. So, if only one Traitor remains, the money is all his/hers. And if the immediately accuse another Citizen, the Traitor had to split the 5000 pond.

Anyway, great programma.
Has your mafiagame lasted for only a few days or maybe it dragged on and on and on? Check the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Records]Records page[/url] on the wiki to see if it is a record!
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:12 am

Post by PolarBoy »

The first two seasons of The Mole had normal people for contestants and they were really good. I really enjoyed the psychological aspects and the ways the games were used to get people wondering about each-other. And the mole kept me guessing right to the end about who it was. I highly recommend watching the DVDs if you didn't see them.

I haven't seen the celebrity show though. Somehow I can't imagine it being as interesting.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:45 pm

Post by Norinel »

mathcam wrote:At the end of the day, they vote off the most suspicious.
I should smite you for that. There's no voting. What they do is have the players take a quiz every episode about the Mole (Personal data like "Is the Mole male or female?", game data like "How much money did the Mole earn for the pot in Game X?", culminating with "Who is the Mole?"), and the (non-mole) player who scores the lowest is executed.

I like Mole; I've watched the last two seasons and am watching the second celebrity edition. I'm also eagerly awaiting the first season, which I missed the first time around, being rerun on GSN. (Apparently, they're starting with Celebrity Mole Hawaii in mid-March) Television Without Pity has recaps and stuff.
ZONEACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:51 pm

Post by ZONEACE »

Ive watched ever season of the mole, i love it sooooooooo much.
Late twenties, early Thursdays
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:02 am

Post by mathcam »

I should smite you for that. There's no voting. What they do is have the players take a quiz every episode about the Mole (Personal data like "Is the Mole male or female?", game data like "How much money did the Mole earn for the pot in Game X?", culminating with "Who is the Mole?"), and the (non-mole) player who scores the lowest is executed.
Yeah, I never actually knew how the game mechanics worked...I just watched it confusedly a couple of times. This is good to know. I like the iea of the questions, but personally found most of them to be incredibly inane. Most of them were like

"What colored shirt was the mole wearing at dinner?"

but since everybody wore different color shirts at dinner, this was the EXACT same question as "Who do you think is the mole?" In fact, almost every single questions was somehow just rephrasing "Who do you think is the mole?"

Cam
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:51 am

Post by PolarBoy »

The questions were largely inane on purpose. It required the players to be observant, also, sometimes the players were seperated, so the only way to know the answer to some questions would if someone who was there was sharing information with you. Also remember that you don't want anyone else to know who the mole is, so if they see that you're seemingly obessed with one player, you've just given them a huge clue as to your suspicions. Now admittedly a lot of this stuff didn't exactly come through in the final cut, but the psychological aspects of it were very important to the players and helped make the show a heck of a lot more interesting.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]

Return to “General Discussion”