A Lack of Common Courtesy: A mini-essay on social norms

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:33 am

Post by kuribo »

AniX wrote:When you see someone urinating on the floor, give them the option of stopping. If they continue to do it or do it again, you tell them to leave. If they don't, you make them.
Geez, I'm never coming to your parties.

If anyone peed on MY floor, I'd probably beat them with a tire iron.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:35 am

Post by farside22 »

You may want to add people who take all games you are in with them as personal.
People seem to be forgeting this is just a game and start to believe that you are attacking them on a personal basis because you happen to be attacking them in another game.
I think if people can't seperate games individually they should only play one game at a time.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Bogre
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:42 am

Post by Bogre »

good post
Show
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal.
ArmageddonMUD
www.armageddon.org

Scum do it in the Shadows.
Danger
Danger
Goon
Danger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:33 am

Post by Danger »

I see it like this: If you want people to be nice then some of the responsibility has got to lie with the older players. Only in the lower games. The minis, the newbie’s- I have only played in a couple of games and I have been hit for crap logic really quickly. I throw out an idea and it will get aggressively trashed. Now, fair enough, a shit idea is…well, shit but what do you expect from new players? I’m not trying break into a massive game and throw my hat down. That’s wrong. Im trying to learn and funny enough I have only been honest and town in 2 games but lynched both times early. I turned into an asshole too. I get aggressive but its only reaction cuz im not like that at all. Now I know how to survive day one. Just check in. Lurk a bit, agree with the most experienced player and vote near the end for reasons others have given. You might not win the game but I bet you live day 1.
Many highly intelligent people are poor thinkers. Many people of average intelligence are skilled thinkers. The power of a car is separate from the way the car is driven.
Rogueben
Rogueben
Goon
Rogueben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:47 am

Post by Rogueben »

I have a couple of things to say to that.

Firstly don't discuss ongoing games, it is particularly bad in this case.

Secondly it could be worth looking through some older games and reading through how other people play. You might find then that you will espouse less crap logic, and come up with more coherent ideas. This will stop aggressive trashing.

People on this forum are generally not malicious, they are not trying to hurt your feelings by attacking you. That is the aim of the game of mafia.

It also wouldn't hurt you to join another newbie game and get some guidance from some good IC's. If you want to ask any questions send me a PM and I'll see if I can help at all.
Currently busy 7 days a week. Will post regularly though.
Danger
Danger
Goon
Danger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:59 am

Post by Danger »

Rogueben wrote:I have a couple of things to say to that.

Firstly don't discuss ongoing games, it is particularly bad in this case.

Secondly it could be worth looking through some older games and reading through how other people play. You might find then that you will espouse less crap logic, and come up with more coherent ideas. This will stop aggressive trashing.

People on this forum are generally not malicious, they are not trying to hurt your feelings by attacking you. That is the aim of the game of mafia.

It also wouldn't hurt you to join another newbie game and get some guidance from some good IC's. If you want to ask any questions send me a PM and I'll see if I can help at all.
Was not counting the games I was in. I agree that would be terrible.
Thank you for your reponce. I was not saying I was in the right. Im trying to give a reason why people might be getting rude.
Many highly intelligent people are poor thinkers. Many people of average intelligence are skilled thinkers. The power of a car is separate from the way the car is driven.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:50 am

Post by Oman »

No, in games its okay. We're talking about GD in here. I mean in an ongoing game a player who I love dearly trash talked me, but its a game, tensions are high.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:13 am

Post by JDodge »

Danger wrote:I see it like this: If you want people to be nice then some of the responsibility has got to lie with the older players. Only in the lower games. The minis, the newbie’s- I have only played in a couple of games and I have been hit for crap logic really quickly. I throw out an idea and it will get aggressively trashed. Now, fair enough, a shit idea is…well, shit but what do you expect from new players? I’m not trying break into a massive game and throw my hat down. That’s wrong. Im trying to learn and funny enough I have only been honest and town in 2 games but lynched both times early. I turned into an asshole too. I get aggressive but its only reaction cuz im not like that at all. Now I know how to survive day one. Just check in. Lurk a bit, agree with the most experienced player and vote near the end for reasons others have given. You might not win the game but I bet you live day 1.
Here's a hint - minis are not "lower games". You shouldn't expect people to give you any leeway for being a "newbie" in anything other than a newbie game - if you're looking for people to cater to your own newness, stick to newbie games. Otherwise, you can expect the same treatment any other member of the site gets.

I really really hate the "I'm a newbie, I'm entitled to be a moron" mentality.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
Danger
Danger
Goon
Danger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:25 am

Post by Danger »

JDodge wrote:
Danger wrote:I see it like this: If you want people to be nice then some of the responsibility has got to lie with the older players. Only in the lower games. The minis, the newbie’s- I have only played in a couple of games and I have been hit for crap logic really quickly. I throw out an idea and it will get aggressively trashed. Now, fair enough, a shit idea is…well, shit but what do you expect from new players? I’m not trying break into a massive game and throw my hat down. That’s wrong. Im trying to learn and funny enough I have only been honest and town in 2 games but lynched both times early. I turned into an asshole too. I get aggressive but its only reaction cuz im not like that at all. Now I know how to survive day one. Just check in. Lurk a bit, agree with the most experienced player and vote near the end for reasons others have given. You might not win the game but I bet you live day 1.
Here's a hint - minis are not "lower games". You shouldn't expect people to give you any leeway for being a "newbie" in anything other than a newbie game - if you're looking for people to cater to your own newness, stick to newbie games. Otherwise, you can expect the same treatment any other member of the site gets.

I think your wrong here. Your missing the point. I said I was giving you a reason, I didnt say it was right. Why is it so hard to understand? and whats a moron?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:29 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

No, he's right.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:34 am

Post by Lord Gurgi »

You would probably be better off playing newbie games if you expect to be treated as a newbie.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
dahill1
dahill1
bagel
dahill1
bagel
bagel

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:37 am

Post by dahill1 »

Danger wrote:Image
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:46 am

Post by JDodge »

Danger wrote:
JDodge wrote:

I think your wrong here. Your missing the point. I said I was giving you a reason, I didnt say it was right. Why is it so hard to understand? and whats a moron?
If your reason isn't right, you shouldn't be bitching and then using your reason as justification for bitching.

Especially if you're going to get all indignant when people call you on your reason being wrong.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:51 am

Post by Porochaz »

I agree with post 157
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:40 pm

Post by IH »

danger wrote:I see it like this: If you want people to be nice then some of the responsibility has got to lie with the older players. Only in the lower games. The minis, the newbie’s- I have only played in a couple of games and I have been hit for crap logic really quickly. I throw out an idea and it will get aggressively trashed. Now, fair enough, a shit idea is…well, shit but what do you expect from new players? I’m not trying break into a massive game and throw my hat down. That’s wrong. Im trying to learn and funny enough I have only been honest and town in 2 games but lynched both times early. I turned into an asshole too. I get aggressive but its only reaction cuz im not like that at all. Now I know how to survive day one. Just check in. Lurk a bit, agree with the most experienced player and vote near the end for reasons others have given. You might not win the game but I bet you live day 1.
being hostile is sometimes a significant enough "punishment" that you probably will think twice about what you say
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Danger
Danger
Goon
Danger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:00 pm

Post by Danger »

I was not "bitching". I was saying that if you attack people for suggesting a new idea then expect them to attack back. I know their is rule of thumb when playing mafia, but why do you *always* have to follow it. Isnt it a bit boring ? Why not try something else for a change? Now, if it meant you lynched the right person, then fuck it. Good play.I wonder how many times it has lynched the wrong person? So your "rules" dont always work. You then bitch about the player and blame him. I reckon it can be avoided by taking note rather then waiting for your turn to push your own opinion.
I know that some wont agree. That would not be controversial enough.
Danger
Danger
Goon
Danger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:11 pm

Post by Danger »

JDodge wrote:

In my newbie game it was the same. Had you *asked* I would have told you that. So how is it wrong now?
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:37 am

Post by Porochaz »

Cause your meant to be learning using the fact that you're a newbie as an excuse isnt you learning its an excuse to stop you learning.
Last edited by Porochaz on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Danger
Danger
Goon
Danger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:35 am

Post by Danger »

Porochaz wrote:Cause your meant to be learning using the fact that your a newbie as an excuse isnt you learning its an excuse to stop you learning.
This was about me trying to answer the question of why people might get cheesed off. For the record I got in the crap for applying a real life experience to a mafia game. Thats it. I wasnt till I got pissed off that I started using the newbie arguement. I know some people think the best form of defense is attack but geez..Dont bully people in to not bringing new ideas to the table. Surely everyone is always learning? I kinda want to vote a guy in a mafia game right now but hes a shit. I know hes smart, agressive and ubtuse enough to attack with crap and I will forget about mafia and just shot shit with the guy. I hate bullys. It gives me a lot of plessure getting under thier skin. its easy too. You just mirrior the guy and they hate what they see. Ironic really.
Loads of great people on the site too. Most of them asked to get replaced for being picked on. Then thiers the elite and of course thier the ones that can make a change, a difference if you will. That was my whole point all along.
Danger
Danger
Goon
Danger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:44 am

Post by Danger »

Rogueben wrote:
What an absolute top bloke.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 am

Post by iamausername »

Hey Danger, just because someone thinks you're scum in a game of mafia, it doesn't make them a bully.
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:45 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Danger wrote:and whats a moron?
Not to completely miss the point or anything, but I found this hilarious. I don't know why.
#greenshirtthursdays
Danger
Danger
Goon
Danger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:57 am

Post by Danger »

ChannelDelibird wrote:
Danger wrote:and whats a moron?
Not to completely miss the point or anything, but I found this hilarious. I don't know why.
Dam it, why you of all people? come on..it was a great joke...
Danger
Danger
Goon
Danger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:58 am

Post by Danger »

iamausername wrote:Hey Danger, just because someone thinks you're scum in a game of mafia, it doesn't make them a bully.
do you know the games im talking about?
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:02 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

I completely missed the joke. :facepalm:

Anyway, I'd just like to suggest the following that has no relevance to any recent posts in this thread at all:

I think it's important not to take grudges into games, and just as important not to develop them because of things that happen during a game.
#greenshirtthursdays

Return to “General Discussion”