Mens Clothing Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Mens Clothing Thread

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 12:29 pm

Post by Porochaz »

Ok, so I know some of you are fairly into your fashion and I am in need of a little help. (cause I have no idea)

I'm going to a wedding and have bought myself a new suit. (charcoal 3-piece) I have been heavily advised to wear a white shirt, (the choice is that or black, which I prefer but might look to casual or east end london gangster?) but I'm not sure what colour tie to wear. I have a red one which I bought today, but Im not sure it will go. I am usually wary of bright things, it's also a bit thinner than I like. I have this impression as a bigger guy, a thin tie kind of accentuates that? Anyway the suits getting altered at the moment so I am unable to experiment, so am looking for advise.

Also, there is a barbeque which I've been told is smart-casual. Which is a pain because my default is either overly casual or overly smart. (I had to be told politely that a tux was a bad idea for the wedding) I'm thinking about buying a purple shirt for this. Probably without a tie. However, as I'm looking for work at the moment as well, I am trying to double up. (hence buying the suit, as well) So I have a dark purple tie, Im looking at getting a dark purple shirt. Presumably not in the same shade. Anyway, my question is will any shade do? or should I be looking for a specifically lighter or darker shirt?

Im over thinking this, probably. But thought it was worth asking, I'm very much a fleece, jeans and a t-shirt guy so this is new ground for me. I'm also against more flamboyant things, I'd be looking for no patterns.

Also Im aware I use brackets way to often.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 1:31 pm

Post by Oso »

A Wedding? The attention will be on the wedding party so a charcoal suit/white shirt/black, or dark tie is completely acceptable. Look like you put some thought into your attire but don't do anything that would draw attention to you and you will be fine.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 5:09 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Dark green Hawaiian-esque shirt.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 1:49 am

Post by Glork »

White shirt, red tie is fine, unless red is one of the wedding party colors.

Otherwise, go white shirt, dark any-other-color-tie.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 1:51 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

whatever pie does, do the opposite
green shirt thursdays
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 1:53 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 3, Glork wrote:White shirt, red tie is fine, unless red is one of the wedding party colors.

Otherwise, go white shirt, dark any-other-color-tie.

I would doubt red is. Although its a good point, because if the groom has any say, purple probably is.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 1:54 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 2, InflatablePie wrote:Dark green Hawaiian-esque shirt.

I laughed, although Im not even sure I can get such a thing in the north of Scotland - they wouldn't sell well for some reason.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 2:15 am

Post by zoraster »

For tie thinness, the rule of thumb is to match your jacket's lapels. I doubt it needs to be precise, but if you have wide lapels and a thin tie it'll look weird.

For smart casual, do you have a sport's coat or a blazer? Not necessary, but because men's fashion is largely modular, going with a blazer allows dressing down if you feel like you're too dressed up simply by removing the jacket.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 3:19 am

Post by Oman »

Hey man, this is my fucking jamalam so I'm more than happy to help:

Firstly we're going to remember the golden rule - Fashion is about one thing: Feeling good and fuck everything else. If you don't feel good in anything you're "meant" to look good in, it's not for you. There's nothing worse than the dude that looks all uncomfortable because his clothes don't feel like a second skin. That said, human brains work a particular way with colours, so this is all conventional wisdom for a reason.

Charcoal suit is an excellent idea, three piece is an excellent idea. You've invested in VERSATILITY (this is a word to which we'll return in this post).

Don't wear a thin tie. You and I are the same, it'll make your head look fat. It's just not worth it when ties are 10 dollars (or like...3 pounds, or pi euros or whatever). Also yes, thin ties and wide lapels make you look like a scrappy douchebag, and this guy is incredibly attractive to start, so imagine how we'd look!
Spoiler:

Buy the following in a thickness that you like -
Black tie, dark blue tie, light blue tie, red tie.
Get yourself some matching pocket squares/hankies. Matching means similar, not exact. Worst case pick up a few plain white cause they'll go with most anything in that charcoal suit. This is your versatility set. You can wear any of those ties with that suit for different levels of formality, and you can do that with a white or black shirt underneath. Get a white shirt and a black shirt, you'll want both for (you guessed it) versatility. Two shirts, 1 suit, 4 ties, you've got yourself like seven different viable outfits! When buying shirts or ties your rule of thumb is
"two-and-one".
Two plain fabrics, one patterned fabric. Two dark or muted colours, one bright colour. This means you don't wear a purple cross-hatched shirt with a red striped tie (two bright colours, two patterns, they'll clash and look too busy).
Spoiler: Yes yes yes
Spoiler: Jesus God NO!

For the wedding either black or white will work. White is more traditional and more formal, black is more muted and (I'll be honest with you) more likely to hide the stains from the scotch you spill. The big thing is make sure your suit and your black shirt LOOK DIFFERENT. If they blend together you'll look like you're wearing a sack with a tie and you'll lose the whole effect. Plus (again, you and me, mate!) you're a big dude so a flat (i.e. pieces and patterns bleeding into each other) front will make you look like a brick wall or a boulder.
Spoiler: Definitely having fun at this party

Textures and edges will make you look crisp. The pattern helps with this. See how the tie bleeds in to the shirt. You don't want this.
Spoiler:

Paisley is coming back, if you want to get on that train. Here's a hint: You do, but it's not an easy train to get on. Maybe just wait until you've got your feet under you first.
Spoiler: then you do this

Red is not the wedding party colour. I'll guarantee you that. If it is, fuck it, anyone that has red as a wedding party colour isn't the type to get angry with you for wearing red.

Job interviews are jacket and trousers, maybe vest depending on the job for which you're interviewing, white shirt and black or dark blue tie. You want to impress them with your "put-together-ed-ness", not with your flashy bullshit. You also don't want to risk them not liking something. They might really hate red ties or garish shirts or whatever, but nobody hates standard dress. It's the safe play, then make up for it with your skillz.

Casual is super easy for you! You know why? VERSATILITY! Some people say you can wear a charcoal jacket over jeans, but they're wrong. Not because you can't, but because why would you when you bought a three piece?!
Spoiler: AWWWWW YISS!
Yeah. You can rock that look (TBH I'd probably drop the tie for smart-casual, put it on for semi-formal. I dunno, feel the people around you. Worst case, wear it, duck to the toilet and take it off). AdditionalEdit: If you wear a tie and no jacket you look like a manager at Target or WalMart or whatever the fuck the UK has (SheepStore, MushyPeasMart).

Last bit of advice: Black shoes, man. You want to go burgundy? Fine, I won't hold you back, but if you wear brown you'll look just terrible.
Spoiler: You can't prefer the right. Human brains aren't built that way

Cheat sheet:
  • Two-and-One
  • Tie as thick as your lapel. Thicker knots are better (full windsor, really)
  • ONE point of attention. A cool hat, a fluro paisley tie, a bright coloured square, but never all three. ONE. You are not a clown.
  • Complementary, Triad, and Analogous colours.
    FUCKING LEARN THIS.
    Best 10 minutes you'll spend, easy as SHIT to remember, and will make life easy.
  • Nobody wants to fuck the sad guy. Make sure it fits comfortably and that you enjoy wearing it.
  • $200 on a tailor is worth more than $1000 on a suit. If you get that charcoal tailored for a few bucks, it will make such a difference, and you can wear it everywhere.
  • Hang up your suit when you get home, not matter how trashed you are. Drycleaning is expensive and bad for the suit, you only really need to wash an occasional suit twice a year if you hang it up.
  • Feel good. Fuck everything else I wrote.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 4:39 am

Post by Korts »

Oman knows his shit. Whatever he says, do that.

Also, whatever you wear, the most important thing is that it's the right fit.
scumchat never die
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 7:58 am

Post by Porochaz »

Thanks Oman.

Bought some shirts and ties today. Think I look pretty good. It does help that I'm having a pretty awesome hair day. Couldnt find my camera though, so may try again tomorrow (with the proper suit, it's getting altered just now) for opinions.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 8:23 am

Post by Brandi »

In post 4, xRECKONERx wrote:whatever pie does, do the opposite

Pie wears pants
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 9:45 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 4, xRECKONERx wrote:whatever pie does, do the opposite

bright magenta Hawaiian shirt?
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 9:47 am

Post by Nexus »

NAKED
Trans rights are human rights.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 12:52 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

In post 6, Porochaz wrote:
In post 2, InflatablePie wrote:Dark green Hawaiian-esque shirt.

I laughed, although Im not even sure I can get such a thing in the north of Scotland - they wouldn't sell well for some reason.

I'll fix this, measurements pls

(I'd say a large is probably fine but I don't know how foreign/US sizes work or if there's even any difference so)
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 1:01 pm

Post by Porochaz »

When I buy t-shirts from America, I buy extra large usually but large fits as well
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 9:29 am

Post by Porochaz »

EDIT: Personal photos.
Last edited by Porochaz on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 10:40 am

Post by zoraster »

I think it's probably a good idea to wear a jacket if you're going to wear jeans. That way if people are in slacks and a collared shirt, you're still looking appropriately dressed. If you have a blazer or sportscoat that'd look even better, but the suit jacket is just fine. Smart casual is kind of an annoying term.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 10:44 am

Post by Brandi »

You look really good in all of these Poro but I'm really partial to the casual wears. I guess you just look more comfortable in them.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 10:51 am

Post by shaft.ed »

I was hoping for a bikini shot
sadface
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 11:50 am

Post by quadz08 »

that purple shirt is killer, dude

wear the shit out of that combo
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 12:30 pm

Post by Porochaz »

In post 17, zoraster wrote:I think it's probably a good idea to wear a jacket if you're going to wear jeans. That way if people are in slacks and a collared shirt, you're still looking appropriately dressed. If you have a blazer or sportscoat that'd look even better, but the suit jacket is just fine. Smart casual is kind of an annoying term.

I dont have either, I did try a leather jacket, but felt it looked to casual.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 2:23 pm

Post by Porochaz »

In post 19, shaft.ed wrote:I was hoping for a bikini shot
sadface

Fine...

Spoiler:
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2015 5:02 am

Post by Oman »

So guys, Chaz pulled off the red tie/white shirt. I'd like to see something in his pocket to splash colour next time, but overall I dug it.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2015 5:06 am

Post by Nexus »

I need a summer jacket. I don't want to be wearing hoodies in the Summer anymore.

Suggestions?
Trans rights are human rights.

Return to “General Discussion”