Should I Upgrade To Windows 10

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 4:19 am

Post by Zachrulez »

What they're doing to try to force upgrades ought to be illegal IMO.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 am

Post by Papa Zito »

I agree.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 5:01 am

Post by Psyche »

meh
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2016 12:33 am

Post by talah »

It's not really about the incovenicence, it's more about the trend for your information being a commodity.

It's not only Win10 that suffers from this erosion of choice; as an enterprise data/network/application administrator I can attest that there is a huge push from big data to "just put your stuff in the cloud". It's being memed as "disruptive data" among every big data company and its purpose is to shame responsible IT admins in front of managers and CEOs who would like to buy the hype of it.

Where is your data stored? Where is your *customer's* data stored? Do you have a duty of care to give a shit about this? "Disruptive data" says no. Disruptive data is a meme that says you're stupid for not immediately buying in to any technology which is -ipso facto- forward facing and without consequence.

Very few people question the technology or the pervasiveness of storing your data in the cloud for anyone who has access to it, to see. (And I bet you don't know who exactly that is.)
But the same theme has been pushed on us for quite a long time and apparently most people either don't care or are okay with it.
The theme is "Your privacy should *not* be private on the net and everything you do should be available to us to market products to you - and you can't actually stop that from happening"

No matter how many opt-out cookies you have, ad companies that are either first or third parties of your favourite search engine are given a free license to track your IP and activity and push ads from their sponsors in your face.

And now Microsoft have taken a turn that not even Apple took which is taking control over software compatibility, out of your hands, and even control of your computer wholesale out of your hands, and have made it into a product for unknown parties. For the last couple of years at least, if you've had Win7+ and have been religiously installing updates as was best practice, you've been installing microsoft products which send a shitload of information to them about your user activity and your PC activity which "Helps you to upgrade to the most recent version of Windows".

I've been crippled as an administrator by the way MS are going about things. I've had to manually schedule uninstalls for updates which suck CPU and send unknown information to Microsoft, and review them one by one. Where I used to have a faith in MS security patches being "always as up-to-date as possible", now I need to review every single update which is published to make sure it doesn't cripple our systems or compromise our data. And even then I have no faith that Microsoft hasn't decided that every Windows user's content isn't their property and are just taking it anyway.

So yeah. I wouldn't upgrade but even if you're on Win7 or Win8.1 you probably already have the "telemetry updates" which Microsoft have already helped themselves to. I can't stop it, although if I was a legislator, I'd make this shit illegal.

More info here:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=microsoft+telemetry+updates

It's also possible to set a registry key to stop Win10 advertising:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]
"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

^If you save that into a text file and change the extension to .reg (as opposed to .txt) then double click, reboot, you shouldn't get any more prompts to install Win10.

Current Telemetry updates for Win7 / Win8.1 are unfortunately a bit more difficult to avoid and becoming more difficult (egh).
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2016 12:46 am

Post by talah »

Actually the .reg file needs a registry header to work properly, if anyone's interested. Below is corrected.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]
"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

Note that I believe that this will stop you from upgrading to Win 10 from 7/8.1 through the "Get Windows 10" prompts while they still have it for free up till July 29th. If you change your mind and want to get it before then, there's an article here that explains both blocking the update and restoring it. There are also some update prereqs explained there if you do want it and are having trouble upgrading.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/3080351

In the interests of providing options, if you want to remove the blocking registry key and re-scan for GWX (ie "Get Windows X"), you'd copy the folowing into a notepad file and save it as whatever.cmd and double-click to run it. That'll delete the registry key above and kick of an upgrade compatibility scan/re-offer.

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfigandcontent"
“reg delete HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx /value DisableGwx”

Interestingly the new update options offer a sort of offline branch mainly intended for businesses which we'll kind of be stuck with where I work.
Here if you're interested in this kind of stuff (it's called LTSB).
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itp ... -servicing

The advantage to this option is that you're not forced to install updates if you have business software which may-or-may-not-be compatible with a short-term mandatory update plan by the time updates auto-install. There are several disadvantages though, including things like Out-of-box apps (really simple and essential things like the camera and calendar apps) not included in the image because they're intended to be updated with the other update model... and a tonne of awkward and terrible workarounds to get around them.

Egh. Anyway I'm off-topic now so I'll just shaddup :P
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:09 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Anyone else have their computer freeze with the anniversary edition update? My laptop did exactly this.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:38 am

Post by Psyche »

one year later i still love windows 10 more than tech nerds think i should
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

I refuse to upgrade to the newer addition. The way it tells me it exists keeps pissing me off
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:46 pm

Post by Ankamius »

I used a program to delete everything related to windows 10 from my computer and set my computer to not install them again. I'm mostly not upgrading out of principle at this point.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Post by Psyche »

luddites
Caira
Caira
Goon
Caira
Goon
Goon

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:29 am

Post by Caira »

I don't mind it. I thought it would be the devil. But then I turn on the news to trump and realized win 10 couldnt be that evil
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:36 pm

Post by BBmolla »

I didn't upgrade :(
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Post by Psyche »

wow
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Post by Elbirn »

I really miss having a normal start menu.

Win7 was just perfect and now its gone
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #314 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:36 am

Post by profii »

I think the only reason not to is if your computer is slow and wouldnt work very well. Otherwise do it!
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #315 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:10 pm

Post by Elbirn »

Can these bots be purged from our lands?

Edit: thanks mods
Last edited by Elbirn on Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #316 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

not until bbmolla upgrades
To be clear: quack
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #317 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:33 pm

Post by BBmolla »

yeah I'm still on 7 lmao
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #318 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:46 pm

Post by Psyche »

ugh
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #319 (ISO) » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Post by Equinox »

In post 317, Elbirn wrote:Can these bots be purged from our lands?
Please edit the links out of the quotes.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #320 (ISO) » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:21 pm

Post by hiplop »

10 is gr8
third best scummer of all time
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #321 (ISO) » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:27 am

Post by talah »

I'm still using 8.1 and it's fine as a non-volatile substitute for 7 until 2023 (when public support ends) iirc.

I have a laptop running Linux Ubuntu which is free and open source but haven't delved into limitations with that, yet. I know it runs things like Firefox and Steam, but for example some steam games don't have Linux versions. Some software I've bought specifically for Windows won't work with it either, that I know. However, most new software and games have Linux/Ubuntu versions.

If you don't much care about carrying old licensed software with you, Ubuntu is an extremely viable alternative to Windows these days, and it's especially good if you care about privacy and stability.

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

(I've worked on the ground in enterprise OS's for 15 or so years. Windows sucks on many levels and the sooner you get out the better imo. Linux is actually next-gen OS - being open source - and you can even run Windows stuff with Virtual Machines if you have the need to and know-how, or a savvy friend who does.)
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #322 (ISO) » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:09 am

Post by Awoo »

I've been using Linux Mint exclusively and I've never looked back. It's a very newbie friendly distro, and unlike ubuntu, it comes with a normal start menu out of the box.
GeneralWu
GeneralWu
Goon
GeneralWu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #323 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:39 pm

Post by GeneralWu »

Windows 7 is undoubtedly one of the best operating systems of all time.

Some of the themes are quite refreshing to the eye. It's also quite fun to use. I used to go on my dad's Windows 7 computer every day just because I liked the operating system. THere's quite a lot of things you can customize with it.

Windows 7 also has a whole ton of nice wallpapers. You get high-quality photos of things like plants, scenes, buildings, and even anime characters. The themes in general look really nice, and it's quite good for your eyes to be honest. This wallpaper is probably one of the best default wallpapers of all time, and coupled with the aero theme it looks amazing:

Windows 7 also comes with quite a few games (like Chess Titans, Checkers, Mahjong, and even this game called Purble Place that I used to play).

I've used Windows 10 on my school's computers, and it's honestly not that good compared to Windows 7. It doesn't have the same refreshing look, and it kind of loses it's classic look. The aesthetic changes are comparable with the changes from iOS 6 to iOS 7.

I feel like one of the only benefits of Windows 10 is application support, but most applications that support Windows 10 support Windows 7 anyways.
Last edited by GeneralWu on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneralWu
GeneralWu
Goon
GeneralWu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #324 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:42 pm

Post by GeneralWu »

I haven't really messed around with Windows XP, but if anyone happens to have a computer running that operating system, you probably shouldn't upgrade it (if you can upgrade in the first place).

Windows XP has always been a mystery to me, since it's older than me and I never really got a chance to use it. The only times I actually got to play with it were when I decided to turn on a big, old, slow computer I used to have.
I really miss the screensavers of Windows XP to be honest.

I also really liked the game 3D Pinball for Windows (or whatever the pinball game was called), which came with Windows XP but I unfortunately don't know how to get it on other devices.

Return to “General Discussion”