Regarding the NS Arrest News (Updated 12/3)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1175 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:58 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

In post 1171, AniX wrote:
In post 1146, MonkeyMan576 wrote:And I'd hate to break it to you, but online IS NOT real life. Part of the reason cyberbullies and cyberpredators are able to do what they do is because people take the internet so seriously. If people lead a more balanced lifestyle and took facebook/twitter posts with a grain of salt, then they wouldn't be able to so much damage. A lot of people use the internet as an escape from real life, which is understandable because life can suck sometimes, but I don't see any good reason why someone should hurt themselves because of what someone says online.

What I "love" most about this post is it in a thread discussing someone whose primary method of indulging his pedophilia was going on the internet and making posts to children.

You are totally sidestepping what I am saying and taking it out of context. Of course what NS did was bad, no one is arguing that. But, as a parent, there are larger social issues that need to be addressed.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1176 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Post by kuribo »

There are larger social issues

As a parent

Than CHILD MOLESTATION

Are you a parody of a human being? Are you an AI that has somehow malfunctioned and is managing to post bizarre non-truths?
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1177 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

In post 1174, kuribo wrote:You sound like the Unabomber or a 90 year old man when you blame the Internet for everything

I realize I probably sound that way but I am trying to play the devil's advocate. It's like trying to tell a group of professional poker players that gambling can lead to addiction.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #1178 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Post by kuribo »

No, you pompous windbag, it's like telling people "WELL YOU SEE PEOPLE RELY TOO MUCH ON THE TELEPHONE"

Your views on this are so absolutely, mind bogglingly wrong that I'm starting to think you don't even believe it yourself

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #1179 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 1177, MonkeyMan576 wrote:I am trying to play the devil's advocate

you shouldn't be.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #1180 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Post by Antihero »

In post 1177, MonkeyMan576 wrote:I am trying to play the devil's advocate.

not necessary
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #1181 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:03 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Monkey you're doing the equivalent of running to a cancer rally and being like "THERE ARE OTHER BAD ILLNESSES OUT THERE TOO! LIKE AIDS AND LUPUS!"
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #1182 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Post by Brandi »

I wish I could give everyone ITT a beer or cider ;-;
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #1183 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 1181, BBmolla wrote:Monkey you're doing the equivalent of running to a cancer rally and being like "THERE ARE OTHER BAD ILLNESSES OUT THERE TOO! LIKE AIDS AND LUPUS!"

No it's more like he's shouting "CANCER IS CAUSED BY RUNNING! IF EVERYONE WALKED THERE WOULD BE NO CANCER"

BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #1184 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 1183, kuribo wrote:
In post 1181, BBmolla wrote:Monkey you're doing the equivalent of running to a cancer rally and being like "THERE ARE OTHER BAD ILLNESSES OUT THERE TOO! LIKE AIDS AND LUPUS!"

No it's more like he's shouting "CANCER IS CAUSED BY RUNNING! IF EVERYONE WALKED THERE WOULD BE NO CANCER"

fair
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1185 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

In post 1176, kuribo wrote:There are larger social issues

As a parent

Than CHILD MOLESTATION

Are you a parody of a human being? Are you an AI that has somehow malfunctioned and is managing to post bizarre non-truths?

Yes, there are larger issues than what happened with NS. There are tens of thousands of people that things like this happen to. If I am a terrible person for wanting to protect children in general and not just to look at this as a singular incident, then consider me guilty as charged.

Demonizing the accused is not going to help protect future MSers. And not recognizing the internet for what it is isn't going to help either.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #1186 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Post by kuribo »

If the Internet is so evil, feel free to leave it at any time

You are using the Internet to denounce the Internet to people on the Internet. You are literally posting the most absolutely pointless thing in the history of this site and instead of cutting your losses you keep doubling down and saying "yeah but the internet is evil"

It's a communication tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #1187 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:09 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 1173, MonkeyMan576 wrote:
In post 1165, fferyllt wrote:What a vile thing to say.

I'm invoking Vi's rule.

In post 1166, Brandi wrote:uhhh how does that even remotely argue with the idea that online relationships are real
obviously if someones going to cheat on/leave someone they are going to do it no matter the methods/avenue they take to get there
that's just a bizarrely irrelevant thing to ask

Obviously asking hard questions merits a lot of backlash here. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm trying to get to the bottom of the real issues that a lot of people are sidestepping. Obviously this is going to rub some people the wrong way, but avoiding the real issues does not solve the problem. If you want to act like the online medium does not create or foster some of the issues that people experience, than go right ahead, but that is a pretty naïve attitude in my opinion. It's like asking why sports figures have a tendancy to have violent personal lives or why politicians have a tendancy to get involved in financial quandaries.

People aren't saying that the internet doesn't have unique relationship problems that real life doesn't have. They ARE saying that that doesn't mean it is any less real or the relationships you form are any less valid. That's like saying "I know everyone is a big fan of cars, but I think they create and foster a lot of issues in terms of transportation avoided by walking, what with gridlock and traffic jams and crosswalks" and somehow extrapolating that into "Therefore cars are an inferior form of travel". No, it's just different.

The internet is not perfect for forming relationships for many of the reasons you stated. Real life is not perfect for forming relationships, for many of the reasons you have decided to glaze over when implying that real life is so superior. If only there was a way to use both in proportion to how well their strengths and weaknesses correlate to your needs...

And most of the backlash you are getting is when you try to justify your position by rationalizing other people's interpersonal troubles were the result of computers instead of the people using them.

MonkeyMan576 wrote:
In post 1174, kuribo wrote:You sound like the Unabomber or a 90 year old man when you blame the Internet for everything

I realize I probably sound that way but I am trying to play the
devil's advocate
. It's like trying to tell a group of professional poker players that gambling can lead to addiction.

I don't know what made you to think that a thread where people are emotionally working through one of the members of their forum was a pedophile that was already contentious was the place for saying things in a combative way just to see how people respond to them, but it SERIOUSLY mislead you.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #1188 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:10 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Reck is gonna have a heart attack if he reads all this.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1189 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1146, MonkeyMan576 wrote:And I'd hate to break it to you, but online IS NOT real life. Part of the reason cyberbullies and cyberpredators are able to do what they do is because people take the internet so seriously. If people lead a more balanced lifestyle and took facebook/twitter posts with a grain of salt, then they wouldn't be able to so much damage. A lot of people use the internet as an escape from real life, which is understandable because life can suck sometimes, but I don't see any good reason why someone should hurt themselves because of what someone says online.

lmao get the fuck out
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1190 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

good job GIF
green shirt thursdays
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1191 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

In post 1178, kuribo wrote:No, you pompous windbag, it's like telling people "WELL YOU SEE PEOPLE RELY TOO MUCH ON THE TELEPHONE"

Your views on this are so absolutely, mind bogglingly wrong that I'm starting to think you don't even believe it yourself

Um, there is a big difference between the telephone and the internet.

And equating the internet to cancer is ridiculous.

The internet is largely unregulated, and I get part of the romance of it is that you can do and say pretty much whatever you want.

People need to pay more attention to what happens online, parents need to pay closer attention to what their kids do online, and schools need to provide more education on how to deal with online issues including the differences between real life and online personas. There are lots of issues that come with the new online world and we are only beginning to realize what kind of damage can happen.

I am going to bed my laptop is running out of batteries.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #1192 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Post by kuribo »

And the idea that none of this is real is still bullshit. Last time I checked, I existed and I assume you do too

For example I presently exist in w pitch dark room, posting here while my dementia patient hopefully stays asleep, listening to the drone of his O2 concentrator, lamenting how it's like 80 fucking degrees in here, and waiting for my girlfriend to come back from her food run so she can sit with him for five minutes while I take a piss

Cause I really have to piss right now

But you don't care. Cause I'm not real.

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1193 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:14 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1128, Chevre wrote:I guess the issue I have without the more colorful venting seen in the past few days is like, why do it here public? It just seems dramatic when you could like, shout at a wall or vent with a closer friend, certainly someone closer than the average whole of mafiascum.

I enjoy most people here, but not to an extent where I am comfortable to seem them virtually stomp around in a rage in the hangout space in which we coexist.

GEE I DON'T KNOW CHEVRE WHY THE FUCK WOULD PEOPLE WANT TO VENT COMMUNALLY WITH THE COMMUNITY THAT WAS AFFECTED BY THE FUCKING TRAGEDY

I HAVE
NO FUCKING IDEA

WHY
THE FUCK
WOULD ANYONE DO THAT
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1194 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1132, MonkeyMan576 wrote:Yeah, he is, but obviously your primary issue is with your family and not him.

literally choke
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1195 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1136, MonkeyMan576 wrote:I could be wrong, but it seems like a classic case of misdirected anger.

you are wrong
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1196 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1157, MonkeyMan576 wrote:The internet should not be one's primary means of social interaction. It leads to an unhealthy worldview and doesn't promote social wellbeing. Online friends are not the same as real friends. And an online "family" does not replace the support of a real family. I realize I am fighting an uphill battle here because I am on an online forum, but the truth is the truth.

literally choke on a fucking splintercock
green shirt thursdays
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #1197 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:18 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

kuribo, thank you for giving a voice to the deep anger that I also feel that is buried beneath a huge mound of sadness. thank you <3

dgb thank you for telling rach marie that her pedo apologist argument is not accepted here. thank you <3

mod team thank you for making it very super clear that asking for naked pictures of 12 year girls is not accepted here. thank you. <3

reck <3
whew!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1198 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1164, MonkeyMan576 wrote:
In post 1161, kuribo wrote:
In post 1157, MonkeyMan576 wrote:
In post 1150, kuribo wrote:

You have that so completely fucking backwards that I can't even take you seriously anymore.

Predators and bullies flourish online because people like you will say "it's not real life, nothing has consequence here."

Go watch the video of MS trying to fuck a teenage boy and tell me that isn't real life

I'm not talking about adults preying on 12 year olds. I'm talking about parents who allow their teenagers to spend 18 hours a day on the internet and then are surprised when something bad happens.

The internet should not be one's primary means of social interaction. It leads to an unhealthy worldview and doesn't promote social wellbeing. Online friends are not the same as real friends. And an online "family" does not replace the support of a real family. I realize I am fighting an uphill battle here because I am on an online forum, but the truth is the truth.

My "real" family are heroin addicts, abusers, and thieves. My "online" family and my friends have shown me more caring ad compassion that even my own mother. It isn't my "primary means" of social interaction, but it certainly is a way for me to keep in touch.

And before you continue down the "online is not real life" keep in mind my ex-wife left me for a man she met online. Felt pretty fucking like real life during my divorce proceedings, pal

And you think maybe if she didn't spend as much time online or if she spend as much time on your relationship as she did on the internet than maybe you would still be married?

i sincerely hope your family evaporates around you and you're left broken, beaten, and without support. and i hope when you are, and you turn to the internet for support, everyone's as much of a fucking cocklord to you as you've been in this thread, you enthusiastically tone deaf puke bogle
green shirt thursdays
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1199 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:21 pm

Post by Accountant »

Ok

I said I wouldn't exacerbate the previous argument but I have to step in here and side with kuribo

MonkeyManiac is just wrong. Not misguided or like overreacting but genuinely wrong like 1+1=3 wrong

Sorry but its the truth
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.

Return to “General Discussion”