I have a great life

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Egg
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

I have a great life

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Post by Egg »

So why is it so hard to be happy?
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Post by Ythan »

hat
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:32 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Not enough drugs.

Contact me for drugs.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Post by CooLDoG »

In post 2, Majiffy wrote:Not enough drugs.

Contact me for drugs.

same
after a wank.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:46 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

The first step to answering this question is to define what happy means to you as objectively as possible
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 0, Egg wrote:So why is it so hard to be happy?

I have the same problem. I won't go into specifics, but I feel like this is the overall message:

Don't look for happiness. Do something to better yourself. Happiness will find you.

Don't do the things that provide short-term happiness (candy, videogames). When it's over, it was just a waste of time!
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:13 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

I've been asking myself this question for a long time. When you find the answer, let me know, OK?
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:54 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

Wild guess: You're craving challenge.

Go sky-diving. Travel a foreign country with a very limited budget and no knowledge of the local language. Climb a mountain. Deep-sea dive. Bare-knuckle box.
Stab a hobo.

I don't know you that well but sometimes having a "great life" without feeling like you earned it can make you unhappy. Go have an adventure.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:56 am

Post by inte »

In post 3, CooLDoG wrote:
In post 2, Majiffy wrote:Not enough drugs.

Contact me for drugs.

same

same
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:57 am

Post by inte »

and consensual of-age dick pics. 21+ only
Show

vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:23 am

Post by vonflare »

reported
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:22 am

Post by PokerFace »

Excise and eat healthy. I have had bad bouts of depression in life in my past. Doing this and spending time with my family has helped me better recognize and appreciate how good I got it.

I like Khan's idea a lot as I once had a job that didn't challenge me and that led to one of my depressions. When I got laid off from there, the depression got worse. But I managed to find a better job that challenged me and paid me more. It may not have been a local job (Youngstown got wrecked by the finacial depression that started in 08-09) but its been most fun job I've ever had
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:28 am

Post by Psyche »

your post isn't detailed enough
Egg
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:49 am

Post by Egg »

Eh, it's probably from not sleeping enough. I look forward to the mornings in between doubles (3 to 11, 11 to 7) because I can get four or five hours on those days.

You may be on to something with the challenge thing as well. When I worked jobs where hard work is rewarded, I did everything possible to get myself more hours at first, then pay raises and eventually promotions. Now all I do is baby sit 60 grown men. Raises come based on seniority. Promotions (which don't even appeal to me) are based on a list compiled from a written test. Even better jobs are bid on and rewarded by seniority. People are miserable all the time and no fun to talk to. It's just an all around shitty place. But it pays twice as much as anything else I'll find, has great benefits, is stable, and has a great and early retirement. I mean, I guess I knew when I took it that I was trading happiness for financial stability, but that's adulthood, right?

As far as sky diving and all that, I dunno. I can't think of something like that that appeals to me. I already travel out of state once every 4 months or so. I played in the World Series of Poker this summer.
And there are no hobos in my home town
. I actually am going to Atlantic City in a couple of weeks, so I mean it's not like I don't get out and do things. One of the perks to having four consecutive days off every week and six weeks of vacation time every year.

I dunno. I mean it's not just work. I kind of feel like there's always someone putting me down whether it's work, groups of friends, family, and of course mafiascum. No matter what I do, everything is wrong. I'm always hearing what an idiot I am. And if I'm not stupid, I'm an asshole. I don't know what it is, but I get it everywhere and if I don't, it's because I'm being ignored completely. Talked over, interupted, or just straight up not heard even if I'm yelling and believe meI have a loud voice. It can't possibly be everyone else's fault when it happens everywhere, so it's got to be something I'm doing legitimately wrong and I just have no idea what it is and it frustrates me to the point where I question everything I'm doing in my entire life. And that makes no sense because I have a great career, an amazing wife and kid, and poker skills like no one I've ever met (not so subtle brag). I'm 25 years old and can realistically buy a house (and intend to in the next year). I don't know what it is, or why, but I just don't feel like everything is ok in my head. I think I had a thread about that somewhere before, but couldn't find it.

I dunno. It's probably basic coming to terms with being an adult stuff or something and I'm probably just being dumb by worrying, but while I get bursts of it once in a while when I'm doing something fun, constant happiness feels like a distant memory that probably won't come back. And I was such an opptimistic person who found the bright side of everything as a teenager. Not anymore. Instead of the best, I see the worst in people now. I'm not a very social person anymore which is weird because I talked to anyone who would listen as recently as two years ago. I can't take criticism at all which has always been true to an extent, but I'd keep it to myself and now I just snap at people who criticize me and that's not like me at all.

If anyone is still reading and replies to this, I appreciate it and I realize I probably sound like someone who is gonna shoot down whatever you say because I'm just a miserable prick, but that's not who I am on the inside.

Preview edit: sorry. Wasn't in the mood for detail last night.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:08 am

Post by Majiffy »

But have you tried drugs

||
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Egg
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:02 am

Post by Egg »

Nope. Haven't considered throwing away my entire life just to impair my body for fun. If I wanted to do that, I'd just drink because at least it's legal and not frowned upon by my family/job.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:04 am

Post by Persivul »

Do you have a spirit of gratitude toward a higher power? That can greatly increase your happiness.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbea ... ou-happier

In the process, people usually recognize that the source of that goodness lies at least partially outside themselves. As a result, gratitude also helps people connect to something larger than themselves as individuals — whether to other people, nature, or a higher power.

In positive psychology research, gratitude is strongly and consistently associated with greater happiness. Gratitude helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity, and build strong relationships.
Egg
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:07 am

Post by Egg »

Yes
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:12 am

Post by Persivul »

What's your job?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:14 am

Post by Psyche »

i'm sorry but who the hell is this guy
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:15 am

Post by Psyche »

i change my mind i don't wanna know
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:24 am

Post by inte »

its a 2015'er thats all u gotta know
Show

Egg
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:11 am

Post by Egg »

In post 18, Persivul wrote:What's your job?

I'm a state correction officer.

Psyche, Persivul is pretty cool. I played a mafia game with him once.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:47 am

Post by SilverWolf »

Egg-You might have a mild case of Depression. Being super hard on yourself is a sign. Isolating yourself is another. No longer getting pleasure out of things that used to give you make you happy is another. I actually would not recommend the drugs or alcohol-it will only make it worse-a temporary high is all. I would recommend talking to your doctor about it or getting into a therapist.

It's important that you have someone you can talk to about this who will listen to you and understand. Not everyone understands.

Persivul is actually correct that if it's something you believe in, a spiritual outlet can help. If you like music, listen to it. Exercise-go for walks. This is a natural mood lifter. I've found a real rewarding thing for me to do was volunteer at the local Humane Society helping rescue dogs and matching them up with homes. If you have something charitable you think would be rewarding-look into it. Helping others does wonders for making you feel better about yourself.

Also, understand this is perfectly normal and it's better not to keep these feelings to yourself. You'll feel a shit ton better when you've let it out and seeing a counselor might be beneficial. Maybe even group therapy with others who are feeling the same way or even a short term use of an antidepressant. Here's where I'd refer you to a Dr. because I am only guessing this is your problem based on my own issues. I could be wrong. I don't know you well enough to say for sure. You should see someone though.

edited to add-lack of sleep can fuck with your brain big time, if that's your issue then yeah, get more sleep if you can find a way to do so.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:44 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 15, Egg wrote:Nope. Haven't considered throwing away my entire life just to impair my body for fun.

I didn't tell you to start mainlining heroin into the big vein on your scrote. :neutral:

||

Return to “General Discussion”