MST3K is back!

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:19 pm

Holy shit. Patton Oswalt is on-board as a cast-member (TV's Son of TV's Frank) and writer. Plus Jonah Ray as host and Felicia Day?! Sweet.

I hope they get enough for 12 episodes and a new full run.
Last edited by Kublai Khan on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Occasionally intellectually honest

quadz08
President Weiner

Pronoun: He

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:13 am

I should probably watch the original show sometime
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.

Flameaxe
Comma Police

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Baron Vaughn as Servo is going to be the greatest thing in the world.
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Pronoun: They

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:56 pm

I'm curious why they're not getting one of the original voices to be Servo. I mean, it's not like Weinstein is doing anything else, really.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

Flameaxe
Comma Police

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:59 pm

I think a lot of it is that they don't necessarily want to make more episodes of the old series, more look at it as a full reboot slash new generation? Rifftrax kind of fills the role of continued "1st gen".

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:30 pm

Neat.
Get to know an Ythan.

Vi
Professor Paragon

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:39 pm

In post 1, quadz08 wrote:I should probably watch the original show sometime
Let me help out. Looking at the episode list and going off memory--

Top Tier (not in order)
Hobgoblins - Teensploitation guilty pleasure. The MST3K crew thought this was one of the worst films they'd done.
Manos: The Hands of Fate - The gold standard for bad movies; most people will expect you to have seen this one.
Operation Double 007 - What happens when they try to give Sean Connery's brother a gig. It's actually not a horrible movie if you ignore science completely.
THE PUMAMAN - A superhero movie. They figure out what pumas do as they go along.
Santa Claus - Santa, not-Satan, Merlin, Mexican kids, and the narrator team up for an unintentionally horrifying kids' movie.
Space Mutiny - Totally not Battlestar Galactica. Stars Blast Hardcheese. One of VP Baltar's favorites.

Would Watch Again (not in order)
Angels' Revenge - Off-brand and off-color Charlie's Angels. From Wikipedia: "If you are not offended by this film, something is wrong with you."
Danger!! Death Ray - One of several Italian James Bond knockoffs.
Eegah - A caveman versus the director, his wife daughter, and his Elvis-wannabe son. Uncomfortable tension ensues. Considered one of the worst. Watch out for snakes.
Escape 2000 - An attempt at a grungy dystopian film. Leave the Bronx.
Future War - Dinosaurs, aliens, John 3:16, and boxes getting the cardboard kicked out of them.
Kitten With a Whip - Possibly the legit best movie they covered. Suspense. A woman manipulates and blackmails an aspiring politician.
Merlin's Mystical Shop of Magical Wonders - Amalgam of two failed movie scripts, both of which are disturbing in ways not intended.
Mitchell - Chris Christie is a rogue cop. The director (who played the title character) threatened violence on the MST3K team for this one.
Outlaw - The full title is "Outlaw of Gor". If you're not sure what that means, there will be fanservice. And many improperly pronounced cries of "Cabot".
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians - Actually not a horrible kids movie, but still really corny.
The Brain that Wouldn't Die - Not a terrible film but it will hit you right in the feminism. The source of Jan-in-the-Pan.
The Creeping Terror - So bad that it was dubbed the first "Z-movie", as in several grades below a "B-movie".
The Final Sacrifice - Canada attempts to do cult horror. If you've seen bumper stickers that say "Rowsdower!", it's from this.
The Wild Wild World of Batwoman - I'm really not sure I can explain this one.

Worth Mentioning Tier (not in order)
Bloodlust! - The plot behind this movie looks rather familiar...
Colossus and the Headhunters - Sword-and-sandal hostage-princess movie best remembered for the least seductive dance scene in history.
Girls Town - Nuns, a reform school for girls, and a '50s teen idol. Not that bad a movie if memory serves.
Invasion of the Neptune Men - A Japanese superhero film. Almost certainly one of the worst movies in the set.
Monster a Go-Go - An amalgam of two failed horror movies that were never released. Really some truly awful sci-fi, probably one of the worst movies in the set.
Racket Girls - A movie about female wrestling (actual wrestling, not pro wrestling), with extended wrestling segments. Be careful with those expectations.
Radar Secret Service - Law enforcement solves crimes using the latest and most exciting technology. It's...
Teen-age Crime Wave - One of several edgy teenage crime movies of its day. You're DIRT, Terry.
The Incredible Melting Man - Suspense monster movie. Lauded for its sweet special effects.
The Atomic Brain - A brain seeks a body transplant.
The Crawling Hand - Self-explanatory. That hand can MOVE, though.
The Girl in Lovers' Lane - Notable mostly for showing how difficult it was to portray a homosexual relationship in its day.
The Starfighters - A two-hour long commercial for the Air Force featuring extended midair refueling sequences. The majority of it is stock footage.

Coleman Francis Tier
The Skydivers - Bad.
The Beast of Yucca Flats - Well-known for being godawful sci-fi. Probably one of the worst.
Red Zone Cuba - This is my pick for the worst movie in the set, but I don't mean that in a good way. I was actually, genuinely offended by the content, and then learned they cut the worst parts out of the MST3K edit.

Bonus! The Short Films
Mr. B Natural - Oh my god. If you were in band, you have to see this. The MST3K edit is only half of the 30-minute original, too, and both are available on YouTube, sooooo etc.
Once Upon a Honeymoon - I... have no words for this.
Keeping Clean and Neat - oh god the '50s
A Date With Your Family - oh GOD the '50s
Uncle Jim's Dairy Farm - If you've ever been on a farm, it's... not like this.
Circus on Ice - Considered one of the darkest commentaries they did.
Last Clear Chance - It's like D.A.R.E. for the 1950s. Why don't they look?

This isn't even all of the movies I've watched; I'm pointing you to the ones I'd mention because 197 episodes at 90 minutes each add up.
in every moment
our time and energy vote
for what's best for us

Flameaxe
Comma Police

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:50 pm

The Future War episode is fucking great

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Oh god, that list has so many great memories. PUMA MAN!, Mitchell, Manos, and Space Mutiny were my favorites. Plus I liked "This Island Earth" a bunch, even though it's a somewhat decent movie, the riffing was awesome.

I started watching through the series (slowly, maybe 1-2 a month) a little while ago to make see I'd either seen them all. I'm still in the first season (with Dr. Forrester and Dr. Larry).

chamber
Cases are scummy

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:10 pm

I don't know, I'm not that hyped. In many ways they started a genre, but it's not one that hasn't been fleshed out in otherways and filled by others in their absence.
Taking a break from the site.

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:29 pm

True. But they had a knack for finding those bad sci-fi movies that really was incredible. Most of the current "riff a movie in real-time" stuff (including RiffTrax) just doesn't have that Rowsdower gold to it because they tend to riff on well-known movies. And it can be fun, but it's not introducing you to something you might have never watched.

Of course, the new might not either (since there is new writers), but I'll give it a fair chance.

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:30 pm

Oh, and Vi forgot the Gamera movies.

chamber
Cases are scummy

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:46 pm

I prefer the condensed edited reviews like Nostalgia Critic used to do to riff trax anyway.
Taking a break from the site.

Vi
Professor Paragon

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:23 am

In post 11, Kublai Khan wrote:Oh, and Vi forgot the Gamera movies.

Those were all early on. When I was going through the series I targeted the middle seasons and worked outward.

Really what I think we're saying is that quadz and whosoever wants to join in watching these should invite us.
in every moment
our time and energy vote
for what's best for us

Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:39 am

In post 0, Kublai Khan wrote:Felicia Day?!

ugh
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Persivul
His Majesty the King

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:49 am

In post 6, Vi wrote:Mitchell - Chris Christie is a rogue cop. The director (who played the title character) threatened violence on the MST3K team for this one.

:?: I thought this had Joe Don Baker and Linda Evans. My favorite, though I didn't see all of them.

Vi
Professor Paragon

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:03 am

More people know who Christie is than Joe Don Baker. Disclaimer: I am not a film buff.
in every moment
our time and energy vote
for what's best for us

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:39 am

Hobgoblins is also great because it was actually submitted to the MST3K by the director. Not that it stops them from taking some vicious shots at him anyway.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

Vi
Professor Paragon

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:44 am

In post 17, Sudo_Nym wrote:Hobgoblins is also great because it was actually submitted to the MST3K by the director. Not that it stops them from taking some vicious shots at him anyway.

IIRC Wikipedia said the MST3K treatment inspired the director to make a sequel, which was about as high-quality as you'd expect.

sorry for posting so much but I like this topic
in every moment
our time and energy vote
for what's best for us

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:09 pm

As do I. My MST3K club are still the only people from college I talk to; we actually got together this last weekend to watch Cave Dwellers and MegaForce (technically MegaForce is Rifftrax, but close enough). And yesterday I went to see the Rifftrax Live of Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny. So, yeah, I'm pretty hype for this.

Vi
Professor Paragon

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:19 pm

In post 19, Sudo_Nym wrote:Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny
What.

I have a strong suspicion that my life is not complete.
in every moment
our time and energy vote
for what's best for us

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:59 pm

Trust me, Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny is a movie that makes Santa Claus Conquers the Martians look sane and well-thought out. It's more of a full-body experience than a movie.

Flameaxe
Comma Police

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:35 pm

In post 14, Papa Zito wrote:
In post 0, Kublai Khan wrote:Felicia Day?!

ugh

Yeah this is about the only meh thing I have going about the reboot so far

Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:48 am

Okay I'm watching the Manos ep because it was on Youtube. I've heard about this for ever but have never seen it.

The theme song is actually pretty great.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:32 am

Any theme song that advises you to just relax is going to be good.

Next
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion