Rap

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #750 (ISO) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:14 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

Lmfao

Xtension cord got arrested again he bout to do like a 50 bid rLOL bye

Maybe aI have a problem but unless I dont like a artist personality then I will listen to their music no matter what they fid
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #751 (ISO) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:09 am

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

New NERD album is disappointing.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #752 (ISO) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:13 am

Post by PJ. »

It's okay, listen to the GOAT instead.

Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #753 (ISO) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:14 am

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

lol
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #754 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Post by Killthestory »

if you like the new album of eminem's we're not friends
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #755 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 pm

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

In post 754, Killthestory wrote:if you like the new album of eminem's we're not friends
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #756 (ISO) » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Post by Zachstralkita »

RIP MF Doom's son. Kid was 14...
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #757 (ISO) » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:37 am

Post by PJ. »

Listened to Tekashi69 today. Was like "oh this ain't bad" then I found out he was a pedophile and I was like yikes and am currently deleting him from my consciousness
skirt skirt
skirt skirt
Mafia Scum
skirt skirt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #758 (ISO) » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:00 am

Post by skirt skirt »

In post 755, Lil Uzi Vert wrote:
In post 754, Killthestory wrote:if you like the new album of eminem's we're not friends
Stop with the hate circlejerk you cunts it's not even awful. There's some questionable songs and let's forget need me and heat are things but there's some good tracks.
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #759 (ISO) » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:24 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

He's kinda washed . It's not like people wanna hate it. Well people probably do to seem cool.

Tekashi roman numerals is a fucking weirdo.

Kts u owe me the fade for changing your avi
skirt skirt
skirt skirt
Mafia Scum
skirt skirt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #760 (ISO) » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:49 am

Post by skirt skirt »

In post 759, Zachstralkita wrote:He's kinda washed . It's not like people wanna hate it. Well people probably do to seem cool.

Tekashi roman numerals is a fucking weirdo.
people are calling it the worst album in the year, its not good by em's old standards (probably his 2nd or 3rd worst album other than encore and MAYBE mmlp2) but its still better than most of the garbage people put out nowadays. castle and arose are tes level and most of the other songs aren't even bad. its getting 2 and 3 star reviews which is just gross, if you look in hhh its just a constant hate circlejerk. disappointing.
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #761 (ISO) » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:30 am

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

My response is going to be a mess but, in all honesty, I think Revival is the worst album of the decade. I remember listening to it the day it came out while outside, doing work in the blistering cold. Usually when I feel like I'm freezing half to death, I'm quite stoic, but that day was different, as I was constantly asking myself "What the fuck is going on?” as I was listening to the album.

I am still flabbergasted after listening to it, and it's been hard for me to form a coherent thought since the last second of Arose played. And I usually don't hate albums man. I instead just kinda shrug bad albums off and keep it moving but I found all 77 minutes and 39 seconds of this album to be fucking miserable.

The production is fucking terrible, as it sounds rank amateurish at best, and painfully oblivious to what is pleasant at worst. While some of the production in the pop tracks is serviceable, I found the beats for Bad Husband, Chloraseptic, Framed, and Untouchable to be a far cry from the quality production he used to once house on his albums. By and far, however, the worst beat is Believe. It’s sparseness during the verses is ineffective, its attempt to be booming during the chorus is weak at best, and I thought my headphones were dying while listening.

Mixing is another major issue. This album often did not feel full, and I think part of it was how it was mixed. Nothing really hits hard, the beats lack the lushness of his previous albums, and generally, I found myself occasionally checking my headphones to make sure the chord wasn't loose.

The bigger problems, however, stem from Eminem himself and probably Rick Rubin as well. This album is a hodge podge of callbacks to Eminem's edgy days in the late 90s, his political leanings of the early 2000s, but all under the veil of his newfound pop-sound stemming from Recovery. With MMLP2, he seemed to at least harken some of his sound back to the era from which it stemmed. Revival, however, forces the subject matter and general philosophy to update to 2017 Eminem’s punchy, fucking atrocious staccato flow. He even adopts some of the flows of the modern era, and fails to show that there is any reason to consider him better than his contemporaries. The album does not sound horrible just because the production and mixing is shit. It sounds horrible because he sounds uncomfortable, and all of the songs sound forced, not at ease like the rest of his catalog.

And the album certainly covers the same ground as the rest of his catalog, which is why the last three tracks didn't redeem the album for me like they have for others. Sure, I get that he does go out his way to apologize to Hailie and Kim which is cool. However, this album covers the same shit every other album has. Last time, he apologized to him Mom, this time, to the other women in his life. It's inevitable growth. Unlike 4:44, which found Hov making confessions and revelations out of nowhere, Eminem does what he should, quite frankly, be doing at this age anyway. Owning up to his shit and keeping it moving.

Yet, a big problem arises from this concept. Eminem has never really been forced to grow up. We have always reveled in his immaturity and made it symbolic of Eminem. As such, his serious moments became more appreciated, and his goofiness became expected. But on Revival, it becomes unbearable. One track, he's apologizing to the women in his life and threatening to take political action. On the next track, he's rapping the same shit about harming women he did in both 2009 and 1999. He doesn't sound comfortable trying to grow on this album, as his political commentary sounds like a University freshman on Twitter, and so it gets sandwiched in between his most immature offerings yet.

The immaturity is also reflected in the wordplay, which has already been discussed too heavily by critics for me to go over again, but I will say, absolutely no one, not even in White america, wanted a 2017 version of Ass Like That over a fucking "I Love Rock and Roll" sample. He managed to revive all the head-scratching moments of his career on the album, and yet make them even worse than the previous incarnations. And then there’s him basically admitting he needs a Mom on the song with P!NK – the album reeks of an immaturity that, honestly, feels uncomfortable, downright headache-inducing, in 2017.

The final thing I will say is this – there were three albums I kept thinking about while listening to Revival. The first was 4:44. He had the chance to pull off beautiful growth and transformation as an artists and a person, but didn’t. He didn’t have to follow Hov’s blueprint, but hell, Revival is the exact opposite of 4:44. The second was Syre. Jaden says “No one look at my dab.” on George Jeff. At least he wasn’t smelling his pits while dabbing, unlike the much older Eminem. I realized, after he spat that shitty line, that I enjoyed a Jaden Smith album more than an Eminem album. And the third album I thought about was Camp. Camp got shitted on for corny punchlines and surface-level discourse on race in America, among other things. I’ve always loved Camp, and after listening to Revival, I love Camp even more. At least with Camp, we knew Gambino had room to grow, as an artist and as a human being, and so Camp became a testament to who he was and where he was in life at the time. Revival reminds us that Em is the kid who never grew up, and it shows in his music.

It’s sad that Em’s career will go out on such a whimper, but fuck this album was bad.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #762 (ISO) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:23 am

Post by PJ. »

Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #763 (ISO) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:40 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

There is too much filler on Revival. I don't think it is good or bad. As far as Rap goes, maybe it leans bad by having a poor opener (I still have haters, so I can still rap...) and being radio bait with the intended singles on the album.

I would say the most compelling tracks are Untouchable, River, Like Home, and Bad Husband. Castle/Arose might be good, I'm not sure. This could be the type of work you have to return to in order to appreciate it.

Remind Me is hilariously bad and goes against the entire point of the album. The most egregious filler track on the list. I think the point is that Em loves himself :roll:

I feel like Revival is supposed to be an analysis of hurt pride and determination, in Em style, but it's hard to accept it as a serious work. What sort of adversity does a wealthy white rapper in his 40s face?
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #764 (ISO) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Post by Killthestory »

sometimes problems arise from even the most curious circumstances, but that doesn't have anything to do with eminem's album. the album itself is based off selfish desires and don't reflect anything that he's trying to convey as honest or actually thoughtful. it's radio bait, as you said, but in the worst form possible.
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #765 (ISO) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

Huncho Jack!
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #766 (ISO) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Post by Killthestory »

decent
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #767 (ISO) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:37 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I caught these guys live in Chicago a few weeks ago and it was amazing. I've been waiting to hear them live for about 10 years now.

tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
skirt skirt
skirt skirt
Mafia Scum
skirt skirt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #768 (ISO) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:48 am

Post by skirt skirt »

Good post luv I'll probs reply when I'm not phoneposting at work

Whether you think the album is meh to bad by em standards (me) or awful (luv) everyone agrees it's not tes or mmlp quality by a long shot. Someone on Reddit pointed this out, and I think it's a cool take: eminem made himself by destroying everyone who tried to diss him and by being edgy (to the point the cia investigated him). Nowadays, he's too old to be extremely edgy and get away with it well (plus he's already done it all) and more importantly there's just nobody tryna fuck with him. Everyone has seen what happens when you diss em, so nobody calls him out and he just progressively spirald. He has nothing to talk about, and nobody getting him fired up which is where em shines. To a degree I agree he's washed, but I don't think it's unrecover(y)able
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #769 (ISO) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Post by Killthestory »

that's pretty awesome tsq lol.
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #770 (ISO) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:38 pm

Post by Killthestory »

Spoiler:

throwback
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #771 (ISO) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 768, skirt skirt wrote:Good post luv I'll probs reply when I'm not phoneposting at work

Whether you think the album is meh to bad by em standards (me) or awful (luv) everyone agrees it's not tes or mmlp quality by a long shot. Someone on Reddit pointed this out, and I think it's a cool take: eminem made himself by destroying everyone who tried to diss him and by being edgy (to the point the cia investigated him). Nowadays, he's too old to be extremely edgy and get away with it well (plus he's already done it all) and more importantly there's just nobody tryna fuck with him. Everyone has seen what happens when you diss em, so nobody calls him out and he just progressively spirald. He has nothing to talk about, and nobody getting him fired up which is where em shines. To a degree I agree he's washed, but I don't think it's unrecover(y)able

I think the thing is
Em standards is what we always wanted because he set his own level, he earned being a legend. even tho its always been the cool thing to not like eminem
And when he doesnt reach that precedent he created with the ridiculously fucked up animal he was before, everyone gets mad and shit
maybe he like tries to appeal to people when hes not, maybe it's cause we want slim shady instead of eminem who might actually be a better human now sentimental bullshit etc etc

It was a difference between being edgy and being unadulterated offensive to underscore how bullshit everything really was and eminem nailed it back in the day, it was part of why he was so amazing
So nowadays we really just dont want to hear what he has to say
tbh that song with beyonce makes me feel really terrible like inside oh my god it was bad

Killthestory wrote:
Spoiler:

throwback
ily
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #772 (ISO) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 am

Post by Killthestory »

i feel like marvel has a department dedicated to badass music for black panther. getting sza and kendrick on a song? putting GIL SCOTT HERON OVER A VINCE STAPLES BEAT? PROBABLY OTHER COLLABS?

so hype
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #773 (ISO) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:05 am

Post by Killthestory »

king's dead is the hardest song with the most garbage verse on it
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #774 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:44 am

Post by Ginngie »

Who else here thinks Smooky got a future in the game?
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi

Return to “General Discussion”