Smoking

This forum is for discussion about anything else.

Do you smoke?

Yes, every day.
10%
Yes, but only on special occasions.
3%
No, I quit smoking.
9%
No, and I never did.
78%

Total votes: 68

Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:50 pm

Post by Werebear »

I had a cigarette and a half at my friend's high school graduation. Of course, I was wasted on CHEAP wine. And I do mean cheap. I occasionally have a cigar (that means once or twice a year) while playing poker at a friend's house. I hate smoking. It makes people reek. I can smell a smoker as soon as they enter a room (and none of the smokers believe that I could smell them). It's a dirty, filthy habit. And to Lenny Bruce (may he rest in peace), yes, non-smokers die every day... but when I go, it's not going to be wheezing my life away in an oxygen tank because my lungs don't work any more.

My mom used to smoke two packs of Marlboros (in the red box) every day. May 1, 1980, she put them on a shelf and swore she'd never smoke again. She never did. And she swears that she'd be dead today if she still smoked... and I believe her.

By the way, in New York State, they banned smoking in restaurants and bars. Those smoky hazes that infested bars without smokeeaters (air cleaning machines) is now gone. And while I loathe cigarettes, I have to side with the smokers on this one. Smoking
should
be allowed in bars. A few bars around here have closed their doors because business has dropped off (smokers are driving the 14 miles to Pennsylvania).

*gets off soapbox*
[color=green]Anyhoo, why is it suspicious that I get confused with a mattress?[/color]
--Wacky, HHGG3 - Life, The Universe, and Everything mafia
God
God
Goon
God
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:32 pm

Post by God »

So am I DS, I never used to, stayed away and drug-free, but then I got real drunk one night and it was offered, i was like "No man, I don't smoke that shit....meh, okay give it here" and since then it's been a once in a while (parties) kinda thing. Only when drinking.
"Still looking for one, heh" Dragon Phoenix, inside the 2nd DP9 Modprod.
NanookTheWolf
NanookTheWolf
R.I.P. He trusted mathcam.
NanookTheWolf

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:42 pm

Post by NanookTheWolf »

I guess that I will be the one who feels left out here, because I actually do smoke. Not in the past, but currently in the present. Started when I was 14 and still do to the day at 19. I'm not sure why I do it really, but I go out of my way to try and not smoke around others. I always smoke outside and away from the building (dorm).

Whenever I have a friend out there with me that doesn't smoke, I really try to blow the smoke the other way, and if the wind grabs it and goes towards them I say sorry continuosly. I don't know, maybe I am a guilty smoker, but it seems to calm me down when I get worked up about something. I usually only smoke about half to a full pack a day, but I know it still isn't good for ya.

Now pot on the other hand is a different story...I don't feel guilty when I do that, well because I go to a hippie college to begin with and I only smoke with other people do it. That is something that only gets done occasionly though.

Ps. The state of Maine doesn't allow smoking in any public places, including bars, beaches, and amusement parks.
shadyforce
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:03 am

Post by shadyforce »

If people want to smoke then fine. It's their health. But as long as they don't make passive smokers out of their 'friends' and as long as they acknowledge the lowered opinion people will have for them if they walk into a room stinking of smoke, then fine.

Addiciton is another problem, and one I can't really relate to. My uninformed opinion is that people who want to give up but can't because they are addicted are just lacking mental strength and will power, but as I said, that's uninformed, I've never really been addicted to anything...

Well, I'm told I'm addicted to gaming, but that's different since I don't see it as bad for me, and I don't want to give up gaming.
Last edited by shadyforce on Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][color=darkblue]I'm never wrong... well I was wrong once but that was when I thought I'd made a mistake but hadn't.[/color][/size]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:05 am

Post by mathcam »

I say we start the "Get Cadmium to start smoking" campaign.

We could all vote him in every game until he quits. :)

Cam
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:18 am

Post by Dasquian »

shadyforce wrote:Well, I'm told I'm addicted to gaming, but that's different since I don't see it as bad for me, and I don't want to give up gaming.
...but you could give it up anytime you wanted to, right? :D
mathcam wrote:"Get Cadmium to
start
smoking"
And I was going to make a joke about mathcam's typo, but it's too obvious to be funny. Insert your own :)
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:22 am

Post by mathcam »

How bizarre. Mathcam made a typo. That
never
happens. :)

Cam
d8P
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
The "I told you so" guy

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:52 am

Post by d8P »

There's no such thing as an addictive personality:

"Recognition of high levels of psychiatric comorbidity in the substance abusing and substance dependent populations has fueled a search for an "addictive personality." Personality traits often thought to accompany alcoholism and other dependencies include impulsiveness, narcissism, dependency, anxiety, hypochondria and ambivalence. However, prospective studies have established no specific personality profile that predisposes individuals to alcoholism or other drug dependencies."

There were quite a few proponents of the personality model of addiction in the early 90's but it has since been abandoned as hogwash, hanging on in pop-psychology and self-help books.

Some of the myths about smoking have been tackled directly andhave been discounted:

"It is evident that smokers perceive that smoking helps alleviate negative mood states, but the available evidence suggests that the only negative mood state so alleviated is that resulting directly from the nicotine dependence itself."

Also from that study:
"Markers of nicotine consumption indicate that smokers maintain a relatively consistent nicotine intake, and that failure to maintain that intake results in symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. Studies of mood effects indicate that the major psychological motivation to smoke is the avoidance of negative mood states caused by withdrawal of nicotine". This is what I experienced. Consicous recognition of the true value of these withdrawal symptoms gives you a sense of accomplishment that more than compensates for the momentary niggling in your subconscious.

Having said that, help is always good. Just make sure you're getting the right kind of help. Some of your friends who've quit had a nightmare doing so, and will naturally assume it'll be the same for you, will even try to convince you that you're miserable.

I heard "it must be hell" about once a day. I'm sure it is if you're convinced it will be.
Last edited by d8P on Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]-POST NO BULLS-[/size]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:14 am

Post by mathcam »

I'm afraid your wrong, d8P...my personality is quite addictive. Once you've had a little 'Cam, you just can't get enough.

Cam
Malaprop
Malaprop
Goon
Malaprop
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:47 am

Post by Malaprop »

I only smoke on special occasions, like when I've been playing at sticking forks in electrical sockets.
[size=84]gim sumun.bi shà-thir-ma u ba-rì[/size]
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:06 am

Post by PolarBoy »

God wrote:Cigars and
pot

But no cigarettes. :D :P
To me this explains a lot of things, like slime molds for instance.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:30 am

Post by jeep »

addictive personality
Genetic personality... Sorry. I used a term that is commonly used even though it was not technically accurate. There is certainly a genetic predisposition to becoming addicted. In fact, people without it, merely get dependant on stuff, not addicted.

-JEEP
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:33 pm

Post by bigbenwd »

... I'm 15, and no.
"Plato is a lot of fun. It comes in many colors. You can put it through the plato fun factory, and make spaghetti out of it. You shouldn't eat it, but if you do, your poop turns different colors."
-Werebear
Uraj45
Uraj45
Goon
Uraj45
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:40 am

Post by Uraj45 »

Never smoked, never will.
I've only tasted alcohol and 3 occasions. The first time was when i was really young and I thought it was gingerale. The second and third were for religous things.
I've sworn that I am never ever ever going to get involved in drugs or smoking or coffe or alchohol. I am certain of it.
I wish I could say the same about soda. I've been trying to give that up recently. . .But i don't think it's because of the caffine because I like the caffine free stuff too.
Tacitus velut nox. Vigilans velut umbra.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:06 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Caffeine is physically addictive. Alcohol and THC are not. All have side-effects, negative and positive, which are amplified with increased consumption. (Of course, there are different levels of physcological addicition, but that is more difficult to qualify).

Makes you stop and think about what really makes a drug...
Leonardo 007
Leonardo 007
Goon
Leonardo 007
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:08 am

Post by Leonardo 007 »

It's interesting how every one has other preferences.

For me it is:

Cigarettes - NEVER!

Drugs - Impossible.

Coffee - Yuck!

Alcohol - Welcome! :lol:
Uraj45
Uraj45
Goon
Uraj45
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:42 am

Post by Uraj45 »

All have side-effects, negative and positive, which are amplified with increased consumption.
actually, none of them have positived side-efffects (well, I don't know what THC is. . .). The energy boost from caffine is not a good thing. There are no positive effects of alchohol, just red wine specifically. Even though a glass or two won't hurt you too much,even one glass effects you in a small way, and alchohol is just a poison. It cycles through your body doing all sorts of damage until it is burned off giving no nutritional value.
Besides that, the stuff tastes
nasty
. I thought I was going to through vomit when I had to tase that champagne.
Tacitus velut nox. Vigilans velut umbra.
Primoris
Primoris
Goon
Primoris
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:27 am

Post by Primoris »

I've read multiple articles in various newspapers of the years, all based on scientific and medical research, indicating that alcohol, 2 glasses per day to be precise, is good for your veins and heart. Take more than 2 glasses a day and the positive effects stop to outweigh the negative effects though.

As for drugs, I don't mind people smoking pod, since I've never heared about someone high from pod robbing a store or causing accidents, it's the hard drugs that cause junkies to rob old ladies and stores.

I'm against laws to ban smoking from ALL public places. But I don't intend to ever start smoking myself.

BTW, IIRC THC is the ingredient of certain drugs like pod that make you feel "good". Positive effects are that when you're in agony, it might help to keep the pain at an acceptable level. (It's a available on doctor's receipe here, marijuana) The negative effects are that in the end nothing is left of your brains because all cells have died. :P

Now, I wonder if anyone bothers with this, but I'll post it anyway :P
The best trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:42 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

Many psychologists now recognize non-chemical addictions, such as gambling. Er go, if their analysis is to be trusted, you can be addicted to anything, whether you are physically affected by it or not.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Wacky
Wacky
Goon
Wacky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:13 pm

Post by Wacky »

PolarBoy wrote:Many psychologists now recognize non-chemical addictions, such as gambling. Er go, if their analysis is to be trusted, you can be addicted to anything, whether you are physically affected by it or not.
...must...get...on...mafiascum.....
...whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:37 pm

Post by bigbenwd »

I dont like most alcohol, I like champagne though, I have a glass every once in a while. like every 3 or 4 months.
"Plato is a lot of fun. It comes in many colors. You can put it through the plato fun factory, and make spaghetti out of it. You shouldn't eat it, but if you do, your poop turns different colors."
-Werebear
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:44 pm

Post by jeep »

The energy boost from caffine is not a good thing.
This statement has what scientific basis? I've actually spent a lot of time reading over studies on caffeine. There are definite positive side effects. That does not mean that the good outweighs the bad. In my opinion, it does... in moderation, of course.

-JEEP
shadyforce
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:41 am

Post by shadyforce »

Primoris wrote:I've read multiple articles in various newspapers of the years, all based on scientific and medical research, indicating that alcohol, 2 glasses per day to be precise, is good for your veins and heart. Take more than 2 glasses a day and the positive effects stop to outweigh the negative effects though.
You gotta love this argument. People said the same thing about smoking years ago. They thought it cleared the lungs. It seems some people are so desperate to find that drinking is good for you, they'll do anything.

As for this particular argument, well it''s bs imo. Maybe a glass of wine is good for you, maybe a pint of beer in moderation is good for you, but it sure as hell isn't the alcohol in them that is good for you. Alcohol is a toxin. It is
not
good for you. Alcoholic drinks in moderation might be good for you, but it's in spite of the alcohol, not because of it. Find an non-alcoholic substitute and you'll get the same positive effects without the negative effects of alcohol.

And if you want a simple example of what I mean:

Take one glass of milk, pour some rat poison in it and drink. Studes have shown that it is good for your bones.
[size=75][color=darkblue]I'm never wrong... well I was wrong once but that was when I thought I'd made a mistake but hadn't.[/color][/size]
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:09 am

Post by jeep »

Alcohol is a toxin
By definition, that does not mean it's bad for you. Many "toxins" are not. A toxin is merely a poisonous (not necessarily poisonous to humans...) by-product of metabolic activity (in this case of yeast).
Studes have shown that it is good for your bones
Show me the study. I rarely believe other peoples interpretations of studies...

-JEEP
shadyforce
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:35 am

Post by shadyforce »

jeep wrote:
Alcohol is a toxin
By definition, that does not mean it's bad for you. Many "toxins" are not. A toxin is merely a poisonous (not necessarily poisonous to humans...) by-product of metabolic activity (in this case of yeast).
Very true, but in this case the toxin
is
bad for you. Alcohol
is
poisonous to Humans.
jeep wrote:
Studes have shown that it is good for your bones
Show me the study. I rarely believe other peoples interpretations of studies...
There may or may not be studies that show calcium in milk is good for your bones, but this was just a
hypothetical example
of the poor logic when people say alcohol is good for you when they mean certain substances found in alcoholic drinks are good for you.

Return to “General Discussion”