Individual-1 (Donald Trump)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Maruchan
passportent

Post Post #19525  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:13 am

In post 19524, Maruchan wrote:(i'm only using this as an example, because at the age of 9/10 there wasn't much I was buying, but I do remember the cost of bottles of mtn dew from when i was 11)
Show

Kublai KhanHappy Birthday!
Khan Man

Post Post #19526  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:17 am

I'm just heckling from the peanut gallery and your intelligent response has shamed me into silence.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Equinox
Shot Count

Post Post #19527  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:50 pm

I'm tempted to toss the entire Bay Area in California as an example of high rises in cost of living, but I also haven't been reading about half of the recent posts. Anyway, I'm posting this now so that the example is out there.
revise and resubmit

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell

Pronoun: He

Post Post #19528  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:08 pm

Bay area, Seattle, San Diego, LA...even places near those places are impossibly high. The real bitch of it is that raising minimum wage really hasn't helped.
I have wined and dined with kings and queens and I’ve slept in alleys and dined on pork and beans

Get To Know A Panzer

Equinox
Shot Count

Post Post #19529  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 pm

In post 19529, Panzerjager wrote:Bay area, Seattle, San Diego, LA...even places near those places are impossibly high. The real bitch of it is that raising minimum wage really hasn't helped.

The sad part is that the desert areas outside of Los Angeles were considered undesirable. In the late 2000's, rent was around $700-800 per month out there. As of last year, rent has soared to over $1000 per month (The Atlantic). The desert can be uninhabitable without sufficient air conditioning; it's not uncommon to have highs of over 110 for several months of the year.
revise and resubmit

shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Post Post #19530  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:23 pm

In post 19529, Panzerjager wrote:Bay area, Seattle, San Diego, LA...even places near those places are impossibly high. The real bitch of it is that raising minimum wage really hasn't helped.

Dont forget Boston
selling my house right now and feel kinda shitty for contributing to the problem

Equinox
Shot Count

Post Post #19531  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:25 pm

While we are adding cities to the list, I'm going to throw Washington, DC, into the ring.
revise and resubmit

u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19532  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:44 pm

if the givens are

housing prices in cities are getting out of control and
housing prices outside of cities aren't

maybe we need to invest a ton in mass transit systems to facilitate sprawl
i know new york could use a new train tunnel or 3
103-11 0-2

Ginngie
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19533  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:48 pm

Public mass transit that's actually good would make everyone nut

However, Sim City has taught me it's gonna be a fucking bitch.
Eddie Cane

u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19534  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 pm

103-11 0-2

PenguinPower
Pongwin

Post Post #19535  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 pm

In post 19533, u r a person 2 wrote:maybe we need to invest a ton in mass transit systems to facilitate sprawl

If only it were that easy.

Nashville, TN is an example of how it's not, despite exponential growth and housing price increases (both in city proper and surrounding areas).
<(") | (")>

u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19536  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:06 pm

I didn't know nashville had a great mass transit system. neat

interesting survey of the direction of conservative thinking

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/opin ... crats.html
103-11 0-2

PenguinPower
Pongwin

Post Post #19537  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:08 pm

In post 19537, u r a person 2 wrote:I didn't know nashville had a great mass transit system. neat

It doesn't. At all. Despite heavily needing one given the influx of jobs/people and the increase is housing prices/rent.

We tried to get one up and going, but then the mayor slept with her bodyguard and it died.
<(") | (")>

YellowSnow
Goon

Post Post #19538  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:09 pm

It would be nice if the USA had a national speed rail system. Put hubs in LA, NY, Miami, Seattle, Denver, Dallas, and Cleveland and I think it would work.

u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19539  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:14 pm

In post 19538, PenguinPower wrote:
In post 19537, u r a person 2 wrote:I didn't know nashville had a great mass transit system. neat

It doesn't. At all. Despite heavily needing one given the influx of jobs/people and the increase is housing prices/rent.

We tried to get one up and going, but then the mayor slept with her bodyguard and it died.

oooh i misunderstood where the problem was. I thought you meant that designing mt systems was hard. on the same page now
103-11 0-2

Psyche
mr. personality

Post Post #19540  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:26 pm

In post 19538, PenguinPower wrote:

Oh hey im visiting nashville for a few days tomorrow do you want to meet a stranger i will quiz you on the area

ill buy you lunch!
"You say you're bored, but you don't even try to take action or change anything. You seek some sort of stimulus, and yet you don't even attempt to challenge new things...Yeah, I had a phase like that too, once upon a time.
Listen well - to be human is to be an eternal wanderer. It's up to you to discover the new vistas of life. No one else will clear the way!"

PenguinPower
Pongwin

Post Post #19541  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:29 pm

Sure.
<(") | (")>

Psyche
mr. personality

Post Post #19542  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:08 pm

if i go missing guys you know who to investigate
"You say you're bored, but you don't even try to take action or change anything. You seek some sort of stimulus, and yet you don't even attempt to challenge new things...Yeah, I had a phase like that too, once upon a time.
Listen well - to be human is to be an eternal wanderer. It's up to you to discover the new vistas of life. No one else will clear the way!"

rb
Survivor

Pronoun: It

Post Post #19543  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:43 am

In post 19522, u r a person 2 wrote:the cpi is a cost of living index. the goal of it is to measure increases in the cost of living. that's what it is.

so from that we can see that the cost of living is not going up at a tremendous rate

and while I do agree that real wages are stagnant, unless you're seeing people getting pay cuts, they are at most marginally worse off than they were 15 years ago because of the intersection of inflation and wages because there simply has not been much increase in the cost of living.

as i understand it, the CPI is measuring the rate of inflation

if the line on that index is the same as the previous year, it doesn't mean prices haven't gone up. it means the rate of inflation has stayed the same - not that prices have been static
beep beep im a jeep

McMenno
Aren't we all

Post Post #19544  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:53 am

Imagine having a shitty public transit system

This post was made by netherlands gang
Show

u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19545  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:54 am

correct, but that's accounted for when I say that "real" wages are stagnant, which implies adjustment for inflation. There is also no data to show that nominal wages are stagnant. people are getting paid more now than 20 years ago.
103-11 0-2

rb
Survivor

Pronoun: It

Post Post #19546  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:22 am

In post 19546, u r a person 2 wrote:correct, but that's accounted for when I say that "real" wages are stagnant, which implies adjustment for inflation. There is also no data to show that nominal wages are stagnant. people are getting paid more now than 20 years ago.

not in a way that outpaces price increases..

at this point i'm gonna disengage after this post because you're clearly arguing in bad faith and your insistence on firebringer levels of bad opinion is making discussion worse. the CPI doesn't show 'static' prices, it shows a rate of inflation increase. even when inflation doesn't increase at a higher rate than the previous year, prices still go up - and in the majority of cases when you take statistics of 'average wage of job X' vs 'average cost of necessities', the gap is closing. compared to the last couple of decades. i.e. cost of living relative to wage regularly increases.

whether the rate that this gap closes is not actually relevant to the point. it's a bad faith red herring intended only to mislead.

sugma
beep beep im a jeep

u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19547  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:41 am

edit: nm whatever you win I'm an asshole
103-11 0-2

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #19548  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:10 am

In post 19533, u r a person 2 wrote:if the givens are

housing prices in cities are getting out of control and
housing prices outside of cities aren't

maybe we need to invest a ton in mass transit systems to facilitate sprawl
i know new york could use a new train tunnel or 3

The givens are actually "Housing prices in cities are getting out of control, and the housing prices within 30-45 minutes of those cities are also getting out of control"
I have wined and dined with kings and queens and I’ve slept in alleys and dined on pork and beans

Get To Know A Panzer

talah
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19549  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:30 am

Did the leader of the free world fix everything yet?

Asking members of the leading free world

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion