Linux Appreciation Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Linux Appreciation Thread

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

I have recently gotten a Raspberry Pi that I have to program in C. As such I have been doing a lot of work in Linux, particularly on my laptop, which is running Ubuntu.

I really like the Unity interface, and how customizable it is with compiz. I love using workspaces, which are smoother and more stable than the multiple desktops blatantly shoehorned into Windows 10. Virtual terminals are also handy for many of the same reasons, especially considering the fact that I do a lot of work in the command line.

Vim is a bitch to learn, but the more you work with it, the more you
force yourself to
start to love it.

Actually getting SSH to work between the Pi and my Laptop felt like a miracle! It was always really clunky to try and do things like that in Windows, and I could never 100% accomplish any projects I set out to do in a Workgroup environment.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Post by Kison »

I have to program in C.
Don't hear many people saying that these days. What are you working on?

Vim is a bitch to learn, but the more you work with it, the more you
force yourself to
start to love it.
I always liked Nano better, but vim is good to be somewhat familiar with because you'll eventually run into a system where it's your only option.
(or run into a situation where even that isn't an option........ :shifty: )

You just reminded me too, I have a Raspberry Pi sitting in my desk. When I went home last December, my brother showed me his new ridiculous hobby of making these little bead "action figure" type things. Here are two that he gave me(a Mario mushroom and a character from a video game called Maniac Mansion):

Spoiler:

He laboriously uses tweezers to place each bead on a rack by hand before ironing the whole thing together. I was like, oh hell no, this is the 21st century, what the hell are you doing, there must be a
machine
that can just do this for you. He scoffed at the idea of automating this horrible thing he does, so it's my new little side mission to build him something that can place these stupid beads for him.

My not-yet-well-thought-out plan is basically to get a couple of raspberry pis, hook some cameras to them, then hook them to some microcontrollers guiding a hopper or something similar. Basically start off getting the thing to accurately pick up a bead and place it at any given point on the rack, then work from there. But been so incredibly busy. :cry:
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

Why bother with cameras for that setup? It would probably be simpler just to hook up bead containers for each color bead and have the arm move in pre-calibrated values based on the distance from each container to the arm. Other than that the idea sounds really cool :)

But as far as the programming goes, I need to take a grayscale pixel value from a webcam and raise an array of pins based on that value for a research project. The goal is to have it done in real time at a decent framerate, which is why it's being done in C instead of Python.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Post by Kison »

In post 2, Flubbernugget wrote:Why bother with cameras for that setup? It would probably be simpler just to hook up bead containers for each color bead and have the arm move in pre-calibrated values based on the distance from each container to the arm. Other than that the idea sounds really cool :)

Was more for color detection in a later phase where you wouldn't have to preload beads into specific chambers. I think the biggest challenge here will be finding hardware that is able to handle the delicacy of placing these things. They are incredibly light and need to be put into place precisely.

But as far as the programming goes, I need to take a grayscale pixel value from a webcam and raise an array of pins based on that value for a research project. The goal is to have it done in real time at a decent framerate, which is why it's being done in C instead of Python.

Sounds fun, honestly. I miss working on cool random stuff.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:57 am

Post by Papa Zito »

Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:41 pm

Post by Majiffy »

I have received confirmation that most of my audio software is now compatible with Linux so I'll probably set up Linux on my next computer.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
YawningAngel
YawningAngel
Goon
YawningAngel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:23 am

Post by YawningAngel »

There are pretty robust image processing libraries for python that are implemented in C for speed, you could use python very happily for such a project
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:13 am

Post by inte »

unity is fugly and slow real talk
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:59 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

KDE is worse and GNOME is zzzzzzzzz
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:24 am

Post by Aeronaut »

I like macs
2023 W/L | 1-0
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:59 am

Post by inte »

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10999335

this is what i think of when i think of linux
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:38 am

Post by tn5421 »

I'm using Manjaro Linux 18.0.4 Rolling Release with Xfce.
Spoiler: neofetch
WIP
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:38 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Well manjaro's a new one for me
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:31 am

Post by tn5421 »

In post 12, Flubbernugget wrote:Well manjaro's a new one for me
It's basically newb-friendlier Arch.
WIP
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:39 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Setting up Arch is one of the best ways to learn linux but idk how I feel about actually trying to use it
bugspray
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Post by bugspray »

In post 9, Aeronaut wrote:I like macs
i hope you are talking about EMACS :(
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:49 am

Post by Awoo »

Ever since windows 10 started forcing its updates on me, I just wiped it, moved to linux, never looked back.

Good paint.net alternative for linux users: it's called Pinta. GIMP is actually terrible for making minor touch ups.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:39 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

I might have to try that again. Last time I tried using Ubuntu as my main desktop I kept running into issues with skype and flash. Now that both of those are basically dead I shouldn't have an issue anymore. I might still run into Mp3 issues though. Updating linux is still more painful than windows updates too. Hmmmm
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:34 am

Post by Kison »

Linux is great. But not as a desktop. I tried using Ubuntu as a desktop back in 2013. Why not? I had just spent six months absorbing as much knowledge of the command line as humanly possible, it was what all our servers used, and Windows was for noobs, right?

But after several weeks I still could not figure out how to do several basic things such as opening the janky spreadsheet program(Calc??) without resorting to an arsenal of aliases I'd built up in my profile. Programs would crash sporadically. I broke all the rules, ran everything as root & had hacks to make it work. I came to the sad realization that I wasn't smart enough for this life.

One hard drive failure later & I got talked into trying a Mac. Not a fanboy but it seems to be the best of both worlds(but overpriced).
nomnomnom
nomnomnom
Jack of All Trades
nomnomnom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:37 am

Post by nomnomnom »

Linux as a desktop experience got much better since 2013. I'd advise trying things out again, the experience is much better on all fronts and there are a lot more friendly distributions than Ubuntu as well!
bugspray
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:12 pm

Post by bugspray »

yeah like tbh if you have already some experience with doing stuff in the commandline definitely might want to go for fedora
and libreoffice is a lot nicer to use now, i definitely have gotten a lot of use out of it making spreadsheets for optimizing some stuff in various videogames :p
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Post by Kison »

If I was 15 and had all the free time in the world again, I'm sure I'd give it another shot. These days, my general philosophy is Tried & True over Shiny & New unless there's an opportune moment or high certainty of productivity gain. Probably the only thing I'd be more reluctant to switch is my text editor (the true secret to superpowers is how quickly you can manipulate complex data)
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:05 am

Post by GeorgeBailey »

Arch or bust
GeorgeBailey
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:31 am

Post by Skygazer »

i've been using gentoo since march of this year and i really really like it :triumph: even got a PR fixing a broken package accepted into their repo! i used arch for a while though and it will always have a special place in my heart.

i dont really care for desktop environments so i use sway (a window manager, it's sort of an i3 clone for wayland) with wofi and waybar. 95% of the time im just using firefox and a terminal emulator anyways. might post screenshots later.

anyways arch and gentoo kind of got me stoked to use computers again. i think the problem was i'm just too much of a control freak for windows.
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:59 am

Post by Who »

I've been considering downloading Linux for a few weeks now, which distribution is best?

My impression of all the distributions:
Ubuntu is easy to install and stable but several people tell me not to do it because "proprietary bad". Also by default it uses Gnome but Mate Ubuntu also exists and doesn't use Gnome.

Debian is basically the same as Ubuntu but more difficult to install. Also the stable releases are super spread out so using old software? But that doesn't seem like a huge issue, other than security there isn't really much difference between software now and software 2 years ago. Though it isn't proprietary so all the people who say "proprietary bad" advocate for Debian.

Arch and Gentoo are shitloads of work and unstable. Manjaro removes the "shitloads of work" part of Arch but is still unstable.

Qubes has some interesting ideas, but is difficult more difficult to install than Ubuntu or Debian and also has issues with dual-booting.

Are any of these wrong? Am I missing anything important?
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?

Return to “General Discussion”