Food for Thought (om talks about food)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Food for Thought (om talks about food)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:32 am

Post by Om of the Nom »

cos you should never put it past me to make a shitty pun like that whenever I can ;)

Hi pals! Hola amigos! 你好我的朋友!

I have been making a ton of foods lately and am thinking about making more cos I have little to do with myself right now and am channeling my creativity into food and then eating said food :)
I also tend to get into food obsessions that last 1-2 weeks or so at a time so maybe hopefully I can document them in this thread and revisit the memories in the future.
Maybe we can also educate each other on a variety of cuisine styles since I am very interested in learning new things about the various culinary regions of the world!

I want to talk about things I have tried recently! Yesterday I was presented a dish which included both Mole and Nopalitos/Nopales. I have never had these items before and was super keen to try them out. Sadly, I wasn't terribly impressed by them :(

Mole was super interesting to taste however, since I've never really had anything that is significantly complex on the tongue. I could taste elements of sweet, spicy, savoury and even a small bit of acidity too. I think I am going to be okay with the idea of the sauce the more I try it tho. I researched a little bit and it turns out there is so much more variety of Mole than just what I had so I am interested in trying more kinds in the future if I can get my hands on them.

Nopalitos were a different beast altogether. They were jarred in a salt + water brine according to my friend so when I tasted them right out of the jar they just tasted kinda like sad pickles (and I'm not a major fan of regular pickles). He suggested soaking them in water and after some time I tried it again and.... still tasted like pickles. Needless to say I'm not too happy with that :( I've been looking forward to trying Nopalitos for at least a month now and so I am feeling a bit let down about the whole thing. Maybe fresh Nopales would taste nice but I doubt that would be easy to find here since I am not near Mexico.

Ok but here is the fun part of the evening where we (read:me) share photos of the nice things we have made recently :)
Spoiler: mini donuts!
Except not really!
These technically aren't donuts cos they are Arepas! I just decorated them with a few sweet things and named them donuts. I used pre-cooked maize-flour mixed with water (and a tiny bit of salt), deep fried them and then half dipped them in toffee, and then cinnamon sugar (not seen: double dip in the toffee after).

These turned out really nice, especially considering I made these on a whim and had never made these before. They seemed to have a nice crisp outer shell but the inside was fairly airy and not doughy in the slightest, and the taste was pretty delicious. I tried to make some more today with regular flour and water and they turned out a lot worse so lets not talk about that ;)

Spoiler: Spicy Curry Lentil stuffed Capsicum
I made most of this one up as I went along, not gonna lie. Got a saucepan and a bit of oil, chopped up half an onion and a few cloves of garlic, cooked them, added some pre-cooked lentils, chicken stock powder, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, coriander and cold water. I waited for it to reduce, then added spinach and spooned it all into the capsicum and stuck it in the oven for like 40-50 mins while I played with my dog.

I was really happy with this! I'm not usually a mega fan of soft capsicum but this was alright with all the nice flavours. I love the crispness of a green capsicum and it seemed to balance out the relative heaviness of the curry lentils. Eating this felt like I was doing my body a big favour too so there's that niceness.

I am curious to hear what you guys have to say about anything that I may have mentioned. I am open to feedback and I am open to recipe suggestions too!

My Mom has been telling me about a place she goes to that does Green tea poached Pears with Vanilla/Matcha yoghurt and that sounds really delicious to me, so I'm going to be looking into that over the next few days or so.
“Leftover lady, let alone the strongest to be subdued.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

hey beautiful ! how was your day ?
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:37 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

In post 0, Om of the Nom wrote:Yesterday I was presented a dish which included both Mole and Nopalitos/Nopales.
Sorry to hear this didn't turn out the way you'd expected!
Where did you get it?
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:38 am

Post by Om of the Nom »

My friend said he got it while at a Mexican restaurant with a friend. He mentioned the place had a section where you could buy a bunch of different mexican food items. I never got the name of it down but maybe I can convince him to take me there someday and see whats available.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:35 pm

Post by Zulfy »

I'd never heard of nopalitos up until just right this instant.
I will make it my mission to eat nopalitos at some point in the future.
Thank you for sharing
no investigation no right to speak
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:36 pm

Post by Zulfy »

What are you going to make next?
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

Green tea poached pears is the next goal but i can't make it today anyway cos mom needs to buy pears first.

Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:48 am

Post by Om of the Nom »

Hi pals! Ommy here.

I know I said I couldn't make the poached pears today but Mom went to the shops today and she got pears so here I am with a new pic :)

Spoiler: Green Tea Poached Pears
First off let me start by saying that I've never poached anything that is not an egg or a chicken breast so I was very happy with how easy this recipe was and how tasty it turned out to be in the end. The recipe I used was for 4 pear's worth of syrup so that meant 4 cups of cold water and 2 cups of brown sugar into a saucepan (I used 1 cup brown and 1 cup white because I didn't have enough brown on hand). I used arbitrary amounts of flavours here, but they were Matcha powder, Vanilla essence and Cinnamon. Get the syrup mixture to boil, reduce the heat and add the pears, cook it for 18-20 minutes, turning every once in a while. Then once its tender let it cool in the syrup, and transfer to the serving dish when it's done, reheat the syrup and reduce it a bit and pour over the pear.

Now, I am sooo happy with this. I am allll about Matcha and Green Tea flavoured things and this certainly did not disappoint. The only criticism I have is maybe It is a tiny tiny bit too sweet. The pear wasn't poached to perfection but that's alright cos it still tasted nice, and I still have 2 more pears to try it on for next time. I think I hit a really nice balance between the Matcha and the Vanilla flavours, with the hint of Cinnamon tying them together. The smell was absolutely divine.

10/10 would make again. I just wouldn't eat it often cos it's an obvious sugar load and I am trying to be more health conscious!

Maybe I will make my next project a cool cheesecake.

Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:22 am

Post by Brandi »

These are like food science experiments! Very neat. Good job Om <3
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:54 am

Post by Zulfy »

Oh damn Om if I can make a suggestion you should try out pupusas.
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

oh my gosh yes that looks so nice, i will try and make it sometime soon (maybe next week) :)

I haven't done too much cooking lately but i just want to say that tzatziki tastes excellent and fresh and goes well with the freshness of a green capsicum and i am at peace with the culinary world right now

Return to “General Discussion”