Davsto's Top 100 Songs (Complete!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:37 am

Post by Davsto »

Dogs

by Pink Floyd

Not quite as long as Tarkus, but still a fair 17 minutes, Dogs takes up virtually all of the first side of Pink Floyd's album Animals. The Dogs being the middle level in the Animals hierarchy - above the Sheep who sit around doing nothing all day, but still ruled over by the Pigs. Damn this song is good though - mostly guitar driven albeit with fair (but not irritating) use of synths, and plenty of different sections with vocals and guitar solos alike.
Highlights
include the opening with the slightly ominous acoustic guitar strumming (all the acoustic guitar use in this song is great actually) and synth wobbles before the stern vocals come in and the anger in the song truly sticks in, the lyrics, all the guitar solos in the song which are all amazingly lyrical and emotional (the best being the angry guitar solo at around 1:50, the longer, weepier guitar solo starting 3:35 which also gets a reprise near the end of the song, and the guitar solo immediately following that solo which is definitely a different solo despite not really being separated by the previous one by anything other than a few acoustic strummings), the bit leading up to 8:00 where the anger slowly builds up until the line "dragged down by the stone" at which point the song delves into a synth-dominated section which is incredibly atmospheric with the word "stone" repeating hundreds of times until you feel like you're the one drowning, and the final two minutes which is a wonderful vocal section where the same simple melody line is repeated and gradually builds up until the song climaxes.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:40 am

Post by Davsto »

Rain

by The Beatles

Click image to listen

One of the Beatles' first psychedelic songs and the B-side to the more famous Paperback Writer, Rain is among my favourite Beatles songs, and it's basically just about people complaining about the weather. It contains lots of technological tricks - the backing track was recorded faster than normal and then slowed down, the vocals were recorded slower than normal and then sped up, and the ending contains the first use of backwards vocals on a record.
Highlights
include the drumming which is some of Ringo's best drumming ever, the guitar tone which is just wonderful, the chorus melody and the ending fade out with the aforementioned backwards vocals.
AxleGreaser
AxleGreaser
Mafia Scum
AxleGreaser
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:04 am

Post by AxleGreaser »

Spoiler: spoiler
IIRC just skimming no zepplin so far. (the obvious one... and black dog, would be must haves in my list) Also who substitute and my generation.
on second thoughts I think thats moving the center of your list so maybe not.
Yeah I have vinyl of many of what you've done so far. esp anything you have repeats of like beatles, floyd, yes, ...
Also harder rocks and floksier and piano stuff ... meh I like music.
I couldn't leave out Alice restaurant (Arlo guthrie), or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdCCPqjGSEg I don't speak word of german, but that one tears me up into bits more.
Basically I couldnt limit myself to 100. Hmm I dont cry when I listen to that one any more. I worried about why.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:58 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 152, AxleGreaser wrote:
Spoiler: spoiler
IIRC just skimming no zepplin so far. (the obvious one... and black dog, would be must haves in my list) Also who substitute and my generation.
on second thoughts I think thats moving the center of your list so maybe not.
Yeah I have vinyl of many of what you've done so far. esp anything you have repeats of like beatles, floyd, yes, ...
Also harder rocks and floksier and piano stuff ... meh I like music.
I couldn't leave out Alice restaurant (Arlo guthrie), or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdCCPqjGSEg I don't speak word of german, but that one tears me up into bits more.
Basically I couldnt limit myself to 100. Hmm I dont cry when I listen to that one any more. I worried about why.
I hadn't listened to Led Zeppelin at the time of this list being made - I have since listened to the first four albums. Stairway to Heaven, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Dazed and Confused would all be in my top 100 now. In terms of the two Who songs, they're both great, but neither of them make the list (although My Generation is obviously a great song).
AxleGreaser
AxleGreaser
Mafia Scum
AxleGreaser
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:53 pm

Post by AxleGreaser »

In post 153, Davsto wrote:My Generation is obviously a great song).
I strongly advise a C&C warming. Remove Cats and Coffee before clicking on links.
About it being great song, as opposed tot hat being great rendition here is an interesting cover of it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY
TBMK none of them are actually members of the original band.
Last edited by AxleGreaser on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:54 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Needs more Honey G
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
AxleGreaser
AxleGreaser
Mafia Scum
AxleGreaser
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:13 am

Post by AxleGreaser »

To be my list it would need some Dylan, (and some other things, in other directions) but its not my list and they would move the lists center/focus.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:24 am

Post by Davsto »

Again, hadn't listened to any Dylan at the time. The Dylan songs which would probably make it on now are the fairly obvious ones - Like a Rolling Stone, Subterranean Homesick Blues, and Idiot Wind.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:32 am

Post by Davsto »

Starship Trooper

by Yes

Click image to listen

Yeah, this is my favourite Yes song. For a start, they don't go too wanky - the lyrics are at least vaguely interesting sci-fi imagery rather than just loads of random words chucked together, and the first half of the song is mostly vocal with little instrumentals - the latter half of the song is entirely instrumental, but oh dear me is it justified, and it's the single reason that this song is so high. The first half of the song is decent enough, and has a few strong points, but wouldn't even come close to being in my top 100.
Highlights
of the song include the bassline, the sci-fi tone of the guitar, and the whole of the song from about 5:35 onward - it starts as just a simple riff on a phased guitar, then gradually more and more electric guitars and acoustic guitars and basslines and percussion comes in and slowly builds up around the same riff until a guitar solo or two at the climax as all these instruments stay whirling around you, before fading out. One of my favourite codas to a song, ever.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:00 am

Post by Davsto »

So Lonely

by The Police

Yeah, the Police, you've probably heard this, yadayadayada. It's another great contrast between verse and chorus, with the soft ska/reggae-ish verses and the harder and fast-paced choruses.
Highlights
include the aforementioned chorus with a pretty great vocal harmony, the guitar solo, and that great bit where it's mostly just Sting improvising over building tension before the chorus kicks back in for the final bit.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:03 am

Post by Nexus »

if this doesn't end with mr blobby i will be angry
Trans rights are human rights.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:05 am

Post by Davsto »

KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:13 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

FREEBIRD!
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:23 am

Post by Aeronaut »

Aeronaut likes this thread
2023 W/L | 1-0
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:41 am

Post by PJ. »

Yo, it's been 164 days, can we at least change the name of the thread to "A song whenever I damn well please - ... "
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:18 am

Post by Davsto »

I Can See for Miles

by The Who

The Who Sell Out is a really weird album. On the first side, the songs have short "adverts" between each one (although this seems to be forgotten by side two), and with ballads like Tattoo and the bizarre Odorono, it's a lot more pop than rock - with the exception of I Can See for Miles. One of the hardest rock songs of the time, even going on to inspire the Beatles' Helter Skelter, although it still does have the more poppish vocal melody and harmonies over the thick bass, power chords and crashing drums.
Highlights
include Keith Moon's drumming (duh), the great vocal melody (particularly the harmonies on the "I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles" bits, which I swear change slightly each time they come up), and the generally great guitar and bass work and interplay.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:44 am

Post by Davsto »

I'm Only Sleeping

by The Beatles

Click image to listen

Another example of a song on Revolver having music which perfectly fits the lyrics - half the track sounds like all the players are incredibly tired. In a good way. The slightly slurred vocals and backing vocals, the sudden stops and starts, the lazily strummed acoustic guitar and the backwards guitar solo, all contribute to the fantastic mood of this track. Hell, at one point, one of the vocalists actually yawns.
Highlights
include the way the music wonderfully complements the lyrics and mood, the interesting if nothing else backwards guitar solo, and the fantastic vocal melody and harmonies (my favourite being the "Keeping an eye on the world going by my window" sections).
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:55 am

Post by Davsto »

Showdown

by the Electric Light Orchestra

Click image to listen

On the Third Day was the first ELO album where they really started to get it right - their first album was too sloppy and rough, while their second album was too overblown and pretentious, while this album really starts to get the blend between orchestral and rock, even though they wouldn't get a full orchestra until the next album. This song is probably one of the best examples of this, with a good beat and guitar, and a string section which doesn't let you forget it's there, but never feels unnecessary or in the way.
Highlights
include the vocals which have a good amount of power and occasional nice flairs (like that line where they go falsetto for two notes before switching back), the string section with its crescendos and flourishes putting you on edge with the mood of the song as well as having a fantastic string riff, and the fantastic guitar solo which is among my favourites of all time.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:40 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Elanor Rigby best be on this list
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:48 am

Post by Davsto »

Pigs (Three Different Ones)

by Pink Floyd

And to complete the Animals trio we have Pigs - all about the three top people of society, maliciously controlling everything else. The song is really well crafted - several sections both instrumental and vocal, great riffs and generally just an incredibly crafted Pink Floyd song.
Highlights
include the intro with the absolutely amazing organ riff followed by a bass solo and then guitar hits to build up tension before the first verse, the weird talk box effect on the guitar which does an amazing job of mimicking a pig in the middle instrumental section, and the final guitar solo which closes the song.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:50 am

Post by Davsto »

I Am the Walrus

by The Beatles

Click image to listen

Yeah, this was probably fairly predictable. The song with such a wonderful orchestral section it literally inspired ELO to exist, I Am the Walrus is quite a surreal and oddly bitter song - as much as basically every word means nothing ("semolina pilchard climbing up the Eiffel Tower, elementary penguins singing Hare Krishna, man you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe") Lennon's vocals still give off an impression of anger at something, even if no-one knows exactly what it was anger at (likely not even Lennon at the time). Highlights include the aforementioned orchestral section (particularly in the intro and some of the more triumphant sections such as around the "semolina pilchard"), the interesting vocal melody which is largely based on just two notes, the nonsense lyrics which are entertaining nonetheless, and the outro with the bizarre sounds, voices chanting "oompa oompa stick it up your jumper", Shepard's Tone, and excerpts from a BBC Radio reading of King Lear.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:50 pm

Post by Chevre »

TOP TEN BABY
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:19 am

Post by Davsto »

Sultans of Swing

by Dire Straits

Fuck I love Dire Straits. I know this list doesn't really show it much (at the time it was made I pretty much only knew this, Money for Nothing and Walk of Life), but I now honestly adore them. Well, I say Dire Straits, but let's face it - it's a one man band run almost entirely by Mark Knopfler unless for some reason you consider the bass or rhythm sections to be the highlights. Private Investigations, Tunnel of Love, Where Do You Think You're Going, Telegraph Road, all songs that probably would make it onto this list at some point if I were to rewrite it now. Love over Gold is among my favourite albums of all time, as is their debut Dire Straits, which features this incredible song, among other strong numbers like Down to the Waterline with its great intro, and the slow, soft, and atmospheric Six Blade Knife. And this, probably the quintessential Dire Straits song - Money for Nothing may have made a bigger impact at the time, but Sultans of Swing is the Dire Straits song which will probably endure the longest, if only because Money for Nothing was very much a product of its time.
Highlights
of this song include the guitar. Nothing else really - the vocal melody is barely relevant (with the slight exception of the "with the sultans of swing" vocal hook, and the lyrics are pretty decent too), the drum section is serving its purpose and little more, and I generally tend to forget that the bassline exists. But damn, what a use of the guitar. The riff, the licks between each line, the rhythm guitars strumming away behind the lead, and the immaculate guitar solos - the one starting at around 3:26 being fairly catchy and interesting but nothing special, and the outro guitar solo at 4:58 which is my second favourite guitar solo of all time, starting with some tricky wobbling between notes (seriously I adore that little bit from around 5:01-5:05) before working up the tension to the arpeggios at 5:17. Absolutely wonderful.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:30 am

Post by Davsto »

Hey Bulldog

by The Beatles

Yellow Submarine is an utterly bizarre Beatles album. First of all, it is completely from the wrong time - the music of the album is very psychedelic, in line with that of Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour in 1967, but it was released in '69. Side B is entirely instrumental orchestral pieces written for the Yellow Submarine film by George Martin, and the first side of the album contains two songs which were previously released (Yellow Submarine and All You Need Is Love), meaning that the album contains a grand total of four new Beatles songs. As you can imagine, it is one of the weakest Beatles albums. However, it does contain this absolute gem - the least psychedelic song and one which would be more likely to fit on Revolver than any other album.
Highlights
include the main piano/guitar riff which opens the song, the lyrics which gracefully switch from I Am the Walrus-type nonsense ("Sheepdog/Standing in the rain/Bullfrog/Doing it again") to surprisingly threatening and meaningful lines ("Some kind of solitude is measured out in you/You think you know me but you haven't got a clue"), the guitar solo, and the fadeout where the riff is played over some ramblings from Paul and John in the background.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:51 am

Post by Davsto »

Bat Out of Hell

by Meat Loaf

Click image to listen

I think it's fair to say that, once you saw Meat Loaf was on this list, you pretty much expected this to be on at some point. This is very much the quintessential Steinman-composed Meat Loaf song; slightly overblown backing with choral vocals and orchestras and guitars everywhere, booming vocals from Meat Loaf, a very long song with multiple different sections and an overall epic feel. This was pretty much my favourite song when I was younger and, I'll be honest, not much has changed, because it is such a good song.
Highlights
include the two-minute instrumental intro with the piano and the guitar solos which mimic the vocal melody, when the vocals kick in after the song has gone down to just the piano and Meat Loaf starts with his powerful voice, the lyrics which are seriously good even if the switch between apocalyptic images and love-related lyrics is sometimes a tad jarring, the insanely catchy chorus ("LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL I'LL BE GONE WHEN THE MORNING COMES"), when the song sounds like it's ending at around 6:20 then suddenly it turns into a whole new section with another great guitar solo, and from around 7:40 where probably my favourite vocal melody, vocal tone, and lyrics in the song describe the aftermath of a motorbike crash (I especially love the touch of having it once quietly with a loud section, then repeating louder but with a softer section where the louder bit was last time), before it crescendos and Meat Loaf screams into "like a bat out of hell" once again before the song ends.

Return to “General Discussion”