Would doing a "Players Who Have Been Permabanned Mafia" get

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:18 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Thread was already written about that here. It got deleted because it was bs.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:43 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

In post 16, BROseidon wrote:Oh shit I hope Survivor Meet Invitational doesn't get me in trouble!
When Faraday did Fantasy Camp 2 the only problem he had I think was the person who picked Sirdanilot so you're probably fine.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:15 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 19, Majiffy wrote:
In post 16, BROseidon wrote:Oh shit I hope Survivor Meet Invitational doesn't get me in trouble!
Yeah what's going on with that, 2 days without MS has left me confused about everything.
It'll probably be up by like Friday or Saturday or something.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:17 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 26, Shadoweh wrote:
When Faraday did Fantasy Camp 2 the only problem he had I think was the person who picked Sirdanilot so you're probably fine.
Yeah I'm not all that concerned. None of the flavor is mean about anyone, since it's like 95% memes.
zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:02 pm

Post by zakk »

ummm didn't you just celebrate first amendment rights along with the rest of things that make America great, like, two days ago? or was that just the rest of us? :P

imo there's nothing wrong with a good-humored satire of people, that definitely falls within freedom of speech and they would have a very difficult time proving any kind of professional harm or mental or physical anguish... see here and here and here

plus since they're permabanned i don't think they really have any ability to complain. as long as there's not like post restrictions specifying people have to act like their interpretation of the player in question, i don't think having their player names in the flavor would be a problem. i mean the scummies do that each year right? as long as it's marginally tasteful, the fact that they're banned shouldn't really make much difference right? shit, idk.

i mean, in all likeliness you should be fine... unless the site staff wanna be prudent and try to avoid being sued into oblivion... ;)

/pre-in pls
permanently retired

see here for more info
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:33 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

First amendment has nothing to do with interactions with a private party.

Say it after me: You have no rights claims against a private institution. The first amendment only refers to government actions.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Post by PokerFace »

In post 12, Vi wrote:
In post 7, PokerFace wrote:TSQ ran a game once where roles were named after players and written in poor taste. Game was stopped by the administration during day 1 because of all the trolling and bad things being said about people. You could name a role after someone if it was in good taste and respected the person it was designed after but if you made fun of the person, I feel you'd go down a similar path and since these people were all perma banned and you already gave them funny names... chances are it won't work

Edit: I think TSQ ran that game, tried to find it in the theme parks archives this morning and couldn't. So maybe someone else ran it?

Quagmire and dahill1. http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?t=8540
Ahh The$tatu$Quo certainly explains why my search failed and why I thought it was TSQ. I apoligize for discrediting the real TSQ. I have no recolection of reconer and quadz games similar to this idea. I may have missed those games happening completely
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:41 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

oh I totally forgot about that game.

Pretty sure an mod account "the$tatu$quo" would never be approved these days.

Also, I havent read through it, but I'm pretty sure cody and dahill deserved whatever punishments they got for that game.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:01 am

Post by Iecerint »

Vi hosted a game based on active players and it was fine.

I think it could be fine if it were done well.

You would need to research the reasons for the bans to determine whether it could be done tastefully (e.g., if you like a certain banned player, but the circumstances of the banning are hush-hush).
evilpacman18
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:06 am

Post by evilpacman18 »

Hi bbmolla and iecerint
I play piano and competitive Smash 4 under the tag EPM
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:10 am

Post by BBmolla »

Hi EPM! I see you've been doing some crazy awesome shit EPM, congrats.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
evilpacman18
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:15 am

Post by evilpacman18 »

Haha not sure which shit you're referring to but thanks!
I play piano and competitive Smash 4 under the tag EPM
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:41 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 26, Shadoweh wrote:
yeah and we got away w/ it because he was disliked too.

seems like a fine idea for a theme game tho.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:30 am

Post by Vi »

Assuming that the administration has done away with "you must get permission from everyone whose likeness you want to use", it really comes down to intent. I ran three games about scummers and even appropriated one as a running joke in every game. Frankly there's no love lost between me and some of the people I used in MetaMafia, but I did my best to present those people as legitimate entries without making an effort to editorialize, because the point was to be entertaining and show off who's who on the site at the time. To give an idea of how much less conservative you can be than that, another game that was run in the spirit of fun ended with vezokpiraka slipping a hand into Fate's pants (still one of the most disturbing flavor scenes I can remember). The two games that got adminsmashed were the ones that were designed specifically to take a dump on people with handwaves of " 'sorry' if you're offended".

There was another relevant and IIRC peaceful game related to the
other
time a scummer threatened a lawsuit, but if you weren't around for Forum 62 I'm not sure I can explain it.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:34 am

Post by BBmolla »

In post 36, evilpacman18 wrote:Haha not sure which shit you're referring to but thanks!
I always see you doing cool music stuff in general
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Post by Porochaz »

I seem to remember DGB getting offended with Quag's one. I also had a vague recollection of being in it, so Im glad I was proved correct. Its a hell of a player list, so its sad it got shut down. Apart from killer seven, that guy was horrid. (Killah Nine on the other hand...)

Im trying to remember who I was, I think it was ryan, but I appear to have finally deleted any role PM before 2009. I wish I remember exactly what my post restriction was, looked fun.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:40 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

DGB was livid over that game. She never forgave cody for it.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Post by talah »

Aren't folks like uberninja or cyberskeleton or whatever it was frequently referenced in scummies scripts?

Like it seems that being banned here actually provides an acceptable level of notoriety for some reason, and I don't see the line between making a game with the names of banned users as characters and idolating them as characters in scummies scripts.

*shrug*
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:14 pm

Post by Porochaz »

I think its the level of what they did. RC/UN's ban was needed but if I remember correctly he never really targeted one person, so using passing references to him is generally amusing. He was everywhere on site and left quite an impact. So in site history you can't really ignore him and you can mention him without anyone getting triggered, it's the same with a few other users - Wacka Alpaca - or god, it's dangerous to say... Yamichan

There are more examples, but there really isn't any harm in mentioning them. Playing a game using their names as roles, meh, it belabours the joke for 1 and 2, you start crossing the line of glorifying what they did. And I'm treating the latter named player like Beetlejuice, she just didn't leave.

My search also dug up this gem of a thread - http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=15036
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:47 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 43, Porochaz wrote:RC/UN's ban was needed but if I remember correctly he never really targeted one person
Not really true, but Tierce shook it off pretty well while still being quite offended by some of the most blatant sexism I've seen outside YouTube comments and GamerGate.

Also, you reminded me that I did a fourth game with scummer roles. I actually got permission to use a picture of Goofball when she was like eight years old for the game, and I'm still not sure how I swung that without coming off as really creepy. So yeah, trust and respect etc.
Aren't folks like uberninja or cyberskeleton or whatever it was frequently referenced in scummies scripts?

Like it seems that being banned here actually provides an acceptable level of notoriety for some reason, and I don't see the line between making a game with the names of banned users as characters and idolating them as characters in scummies scripts.

*shrug*
FWIW after Mr. Flay left I'm not sure the mods really bothered policing/reading the Scummies.
Even so, there's a difference between threads like those and developing a months-long event that specifically denigrates people you don't like.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:32 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I've always loved games where the roles were based on a players meta. Monkeyman ran one and I've always wished a good mod would run another. There was also mafiacamp.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Post by PJ. »

Unless Shotty's role pm has a restriction that the plAyer must only post from Wendy's cash registers, I think the game will be a failure.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:53 am

Post by Iecerint »

Aww, that makes me miss Cobalt.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:15 am

Post by Rob14 »

What about a game where all the role PMs were based around the players themselves? Like Player A could play Player C, etc. Scum team are the mod and the reviewers, so fake-claims are available to them. Players/reviewers have to OK that their name can be used and that they have a sense of humor to join up. Think that would cover the bases.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:34 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit

Return to “General Discussion”