RIP Scumchat

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Post by Porkens »

In post 0, Shanba wrote:It's been about half a billion years since I joined this website. I came here after playing mafia on, of all places, Penny Arcade's forum. Initially, as I do in all places I join, I simply lurked, unsure of whether I wanted to make the plunge or not - reading games, GD threads, so on, before finally jumping in and joining a newbie game - and shortly afterwards, replacing into the disaster that was kingmaker mafia II. But while my initial enthusiasm for the game has waned, the friends I made playing the game have stuck with me, and many of you I now know in real life as well as internet buddies. The community is sometimes a bit screwy, but by and large you guys are awesome.

Which brings me to the point of my post, as hinted (not so subtly) in the title. You see, back in the day there was a little link underneath the general discussion forum that brought you to an exchange 5 AIM chatroom where the dedicated mafia players used to gather and chat. I came there and was immediately greeted with the lurid multicoloured fonts that people loved to use - and rapidly taught games like Contact, Ghost and so on. And of course, we played mafia there. Lots of mafia. Upick, mostly.

Time went by and the crowd there changed. It became populated by people who had started to lose interest in mafia, and while it was people from mafiascum, talk was as likely to be about Tengaged or League of legends as it was about mafia. It started to develop a negative reputation, and the games of mafia and contact or whatever dried up, but I still loved it and I still enjoyed the company of the regulars. Eventually the negative reputation led to the removal of the link from the website, and it became the duty of the regulars to advertise and try to keep the little scumchat community alive by pimping the link every once in a while, trying to get a few more people to stop the slow bleed of people moving on from spending hours in an old AOL Instant Messenger chatroom.

What's more, soon afterwards, the chatroom was added to the website proper, and the need to have somewhere to just talk with people, that had continued to sustain the chatroom in the dark days went away. Scumchat lacked purpose, and it showed in reduced numbers.

For the last year or so it's been clear that scumchat is dying. The regulars dried up to roughly me, Patrick, Mykonian and Izzy. For the last month or so I hadn't opened Pidgin to check if it was still running. Today I opened scumchat, and for practically the first time since I had joined the site, I found scumchat empty. Not even an account idling there, simply empty. Scumchat is dead.

This thread is simply something to mark the passing of a chatroom in which I spent many hours and which remained an important part of my life for the best part of a decade.

RIP.
very nice.
Rip.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:16 am

Post by hasdgfas »

RIP indeed. I'd be a much different person without Scumchat. I had no idea what hornet's nest I was walking into when I first joined the room, but many good times were had over the years.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Post by MTD »

Am i correct that Scumchat is actually inaccessible since... March?
still the same old MTD
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 71, Majiffy wrote:
In post 64, xRECKONERx wrote:i am like legit emotional af about this
Our formative years!

You had to keep your profile/away message game
strong
if you didn't want to become a pariah.

I mentioned AIM getting the plug yanked to a kid a few years younger than me... early 20s?... He was like "What's that? A message thingy?"
Now we have Facebook and social media. It's actually pretty unsettling that we're reaching a point where young people don't even know what an instant messenger is/was.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:15 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

no it's not
green shirt thursdays
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 79, xRECKONERx wrote:no it's not
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 78, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 71, Majiffy wrote:
In post 64, xRECKONERx wrote:i am like legit emotional af about this
Our formative years!

You had to keep your profile/away message game
strong
if you didn't want to become a pariah.

I mentioned AIM getting the plug yanked to a kid a few years younger than me... early 20s?... He was like "What's that? A message thingy?"
Now we have Facebook and social media. It's actually pretty unsettling that we're reaching a point where young people don't even know what an instant messenger is/was.
You. You
have Facebook.
I
have crippling depression and an uncontrollable compulsion to isolate myself from others! So
ha!
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

Return to “General Discussion”