Song Contest 99 (Entries up, votes due 10/3!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:15 pm

Post by Apricity »

Thanks for the heads up.
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Post by Apricity »

Chad made my head hurt. And I liked India's a lot more than I thought I would.
Willowmeadow
Willowmeadow
Goon
Willowmeadow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:46 pm

Post by Willowmeadow »

I ended up liking India more than I should have. Albania was also really pretty.

Finally submitted my votes.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:37 pm

Post by Parama »

the votes, they are in.

no prize for guessing my 12 lol
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Post by PJ. »

Jesus fuck these take so long
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:35 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

I should just about get this done before deadline.
#greenshirtthursdays
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:26 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Well, that was a strong contender for the worst song contest that we've ever had.
#greenshirtthursdays
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:02 am

Post by inte »

FUCK
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:03 am

Post by inte »

legit didn't get to listen to anything. i'm a cocksucker sorry guys
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:04 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 131, ChannelDelibird wrote:Well, that was a strong contender for the worst song contest that we've ever had.
Which one?
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:57 am

Post by Davsto »

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:54 am

Post by Parama »

still like 9 more hours can't rabble yet
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Oh yeah, reminder: Votes are due at midnight tonight!
Willowmeadow
Willowmeadow
Goon
Willowmeadow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:42 pm

Post by Willowmeadow »

In post 134, KuroiXHF wrote:
In post 131, ChannelDelibird wrote:Well, that was a strong contender for the worst song contest that we've ever had.
Which one?
Read again.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:32 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Voted.

RANKINGS

Central African Republic - King Crimson - Starless: Man, Davsto is showing me so many bands that I've always meant to check out but never did. Not what I was expecting at all, I thought they'd be like...almost metal, or something. Through the first half of the song I'd say this is a little slippery. As in, hard to keep my attention. Sax solo is kinda cool. Mid 7/10. Dude wasn't the strongest singer was he? Oh well. Old metal precursors like this tended to focus much more on the music anyway. Feel different about the first half of the song this time. Reminds me of Prince's West. It's a slow jam you can paint yourself into. High 7/10.

Uzbekistan - Da$h - Asteroids: This is a pretty awesome track. That bassy noise. A couple things here reminding me of Tyler. Guitar sample is a little unsettling, in a weird way. This is like, basement weed-smoking music is what this is. Huh. Low 7/10. Yeah definitely some Tyler in here. Don't know who influenced who, but I'd be amazed if one of them didn't influence the other. Anyway, I'm not super gripped by this song, but it does unsettle me a little and I do really appreciate the complexities of it. Deserves points. High 7/10.

CIV - ukiakikiikkikikii - ashokikikehaosihdh: Pretty good! Like the breakdown. Even though they introduce it by saying the word "breakdown." It's not
that
interesting, but it's interesting enough. Mid 7/10. Heh. There's a section where it sounds like they're screaming back and forth "Potato!" to each other. Why can't American screamo get in on that action. I like the guitar solo. These lyrics, though. Maybe they're more eloquent in Japanese, but the English translation makes them seem so dumb. Anyway, this is still decent. Mid 7/10.

Bhutan - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Timorous Me: Photo was misleading. Expected punk. Dude has a good voice though. And the music is kinda thin, but still enjoyable. I like this enough. Mid 7/10. It's aight. Mid 7/10.

Spain - Mr. Twin Sister - Blush: This is cool. They're "taking their time," as they say. I like the subtlety in the atmosphere of this one too, the way they slather on reverb to certain guitar chords and then mix it with what sounds like super washed out vocal samplings. I like. Mid 7/10. Sooooo chill. It's a good song. I like it. I don't love it. Mid 7/10.

Iceland - Shining - Healter Skelter: Excited for this one, tbh, because of the name of the album. This is like metalcore, but with saxophone replacing lead guitar. And while it's rhythmically interesting, I feel like they're just kinda wailing and not doing anything all that impressive with it. Sonically it's OK, but I feel like they're executing somewhat poorly on a good idea I guess? Low 7/10. I think what's holding me back on this track is that I feel like I could learn this saxophone part, and I don't know shit about saxophone. So basically I just feel like they built this song around a novelty that generally just makes sense as a novelty and not as something I'd want to continue listening to. At least it's somewhat creative. Low 7/10.

Mali - Watsky - Tiny Glowing Screens, Part 3: Music is good. Rapping is OK but he's kinda just hitting every beat for the most part...gets a little repetitive. Maybe Kendrick has spoiled me lol. Eh, I kinda liked it. Low 7/10. I'm starting to notice a trend with white rappers not named Marshall. It's like, they just rap along with the beat and don't branch out much. I know that's a broad brush, but...eh. Anyway, I feel about the same about this. Low 7/10.

Finland - Mamamoo - Piano Man: Already by far the best thing Finland's submitted. It's a little overproduced, perhaps, but hey it's K-Pop. They've done far worse than this. I mean...this doesn't really grab me or anything. But it's nice to listen to at least. High 6/10. Eh, it's catchy. I'll bump it up a little. Low 7/10.

Chad - Sea of Treachery - Back to the Surface: P standard -core. Singing part is just passable. Breakdown is fairly uninteresting. Yeah, this ain't great. Low 6/10. It's OK. I like it more because of personal bias. So, High 6/10.

Canada - Jin - Kagerou Daze: Well, it's much better than I was expecting. It's nothing all that special, but it's competent and nice to listen to at least. Yeah. Mid 6/10. Like. High 6/10.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Post by Parama »

@tool go check out blackjazz deathtrance or omen, the former especially is... something

it's not really a gimmick imo, the sax bit of this song is only at the start, and, again, the drums are the lead instrument on this song (and most of their songs tbh)
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 139, toolenduso wrote:
Uzbekistan - Da$h - Asteroids: This is a pretty awesome track. That bassy noise. A couple things here reminding me of Tyler. Guitar sample is a little unsettling, in a weird way. This is like, basement weed-smoking music is what this is. Huh. Low 7/10. Yeah definitely some Tyler in here. Don't know who influenced who, but I'd be amazed if one of them didn't influence the other. Anyway, I'm not super gripped by this song, but it does unsettle me a little and I do really appreciate the complexities of it. Deserves points. High 7/10.
Respect bro

I don't think they're remotely similar to be honest, both came from diff environment and content completely different. I don't think one influenced the other at all. I see where you drew the comparison though. If you want, peep Da$h's sixth mixtape V.I.C.E.S., nothing at all like
Bastard
(Or get Caveman Files, his 4th one which is what this track is off. Da$h's early shit is practically gone now.. you can't find it, earliest shit I have from him is his 3rd mixtape). Da$h's whole discography is full of gems IMO, and you haven't even heard of RetcH (his partner in crime)

Tyler is straightedge and earlier content was goofy abstract juvenile shit rapping about kidnapping women and cutting them up. You know how Tyler doesn't fuck with Vince Staples? It's not cause he dislikes him, he said Vince makes good music. It's cause it's two different styles. Vince is a god damn gangbanger. Vinny Stapes and Da$h have a few tracks together I believe.

Da$h is from NJ and pretty much came from the trap. He hasn't really BLOWN up so to speak but if you know then you know, and everyone else is missing out. Earl, however, fucks with Da$h (and RetcH) heavy and he has a few tracks with him. Da$h actually lived with Earl for a bit in 2014, I think?
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Post by Parama »

now we rabble
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Post by Davsto »

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Post by Parama »

starless and rabble black
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:16 pm

Post by Davsto »

tangled up in rabblue
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:21 pm

Post by Davsto »

(also, fun fact, my song Starless, despite containing the lyrics "Starless and Bible Black", isn't actually from the King Crimson album Starless and Bible Black. There
is
a King Crimson song called Starless and Bible Black on that album, but it is an instrumental improvisation. The song Starless was originally going to be called that and be on that album, but Fripp didn't really like it at the time so it got polished up and put on the following album, Red, instead. Joys.)
Willowmeadow
Willowmeadow
Goon
Willowmeadow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Post by Willowmeadow »

rab
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:22 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 140, Parama wrote:@tool go check out blackjazz deathtrance or omen, the former especially is... something
Yeah I could check out some more of them. It wasn't my favorite entry but it was one of the more interesting ones.
In post 141, Zachstralkita wrote:I don't think they're remotely similar to be honest, both came from diff environment and content completely different. I don't think one influenced the other at all. I see where you drew the comparison though. If you want, peep Da$h's sixth mixtape V.I.C.E.S., nothing at all like
Bastard
(Or get Caveman Files, his 4th one which is what this track is off.
Will do, thanks for the suggestion. It was the weirdness of the track, the modulated deep voice and to a lesser extent Da$h's flow that reminded me of Tyler -- but if I'm wrong I'm wrong, and you'd know better than me.

In post 141, Zachstralkita wrote:Tyler is straightedge and earlier content was goofy abstract juvenile shit rapping about kidnapping women and cutting them up.
Yeah, I've barely listened to him since Goblin tbh. He's straightedge? I didn't know anybody was straightedge anymore, much less a member of OF.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:29 am

Post by Davsto »

ble