Another Year, Still Here! (Birthday/Scumday Thread)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Aristophanes
Paid the rent

Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:40 pm

Howdy Scummers!

I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we could wish people well on their Birthdays/Scumdays!
I often see people do it in games, which is awesome, but if you aren't in a game with someone and want to wish them a jolly good anniversary of having joined the world or this site, why not have a place for that! :)

So, yeah! Have at it!
Proud owner of a rare Virtual Elbirn Hug! <3

"Amazon is the reason Ancient Egypt revered cats." - Jingle
"yOu beTtER wAtCh iT oR i'Ll rePoRT yOu" - podoboq

Aristophanes
Paid the rent

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Happy Birthday HavingFitz! :)

I hope you're out enjoying the evening!

mastin2
The Second Coming

Pronoun: She

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:14 pm

You're not the first one to have had this idea.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!

Aristophanes
Paid the rent

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:52 pm

Oh.
I didn't see another one though!

Did it fail or is it underused?
Or am I just blind...

Aristophanes
Paid the rent

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:03 am

Happy birthday Chev!

I know I hate on you at times,but I mean no harm and honestly respect you yo! :)

Kmd4390
I lost a bet.

Pronoun: It

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Back in my day, you got a whole thread just for you.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare

Aristophanes
Paid the rent

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:03 pm

I just thought it might be nice to centralize it..

Kmd4390
I lost a bet.

Pronoun: It

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:07 pm

I actually agree
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare

Aristophanes
Paid the rent

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:36 am

Nobody wants to use this thread?
Oh well.

Happy Birthday Mala! :):)

animorpherv1
Lone Wolf

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:21 am

Happy scumday mastin!
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae

Aristophanes
Paid the rent

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:23 am

Happy Scum day indeed Mastin!

What's it been, 10 years now? Lol

mastina
Memorable Event

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Eight, actually.
October 8th, 2008 was when I, after hearing of mafiascum from posts on the battleon forums, came onto here. (I always wonder who those people, on HERE, were. They were obviously scummers, but you'd think that after all the talking I've done about how I'm from there, that some of them would speak up and say, "Hey, I was there!" They'd have 2008-or-earlier joindates, at least on their original accounts.)

Title Fairy Feedback
April Event: Entitlement is ongoing!

Aristophanes
Paid the rent

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:23 pm

So, why make a new account in '09? And in '16?
All on the same day too! That takes dedication! :P

It is odd though that they wouldn't have ever spoken up!

animorpherv1
Lone Wolf

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:24 pm

mastin2 was the result of losing a bet, actually. Mastin swore off the first account if she lost.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae

mastina
Memorable Event

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:24 pm

In post 13, animorpherv1 wrote:mastin2 was the result of losing a bet, actually. Mastin swore off the first account if she lost.
You'd think that, years later, people would have figured out that's not true by now, but no. That's a commonly-held belief, and me being who it's about, I know where the idea spawns from, yet it's not actually true.

What happened was, I returned to playing in fall of 2010 after a long hiatus. I was always intent on switching to mastin2...but I didn't want to start my first games AS mastin2. There was the risk I would "ruin" the account, which at the time I held hopeless naivety of dreaming to be perfect. (My first two games were newbies for good reason!) So I wanted some game experience as Mastin, and then when I felt I was a decent, competent enough player, I'd switch to mastin2.

When I made the bet, I intentionally made it that way specifically because I knew I was going to switch accounts anyway so it didn't matter if I won or lost. If I won, vindication. If I lost, a reminder to be vigilant and the beginning of my fresh start. I won either way. People might think this is something I'd make up after the fact, but the proof IS in the joindate. I made mastin2 on my scumday, October 8th, 2009. That account went 100% completely and entirely unused until spring of 2011, when I made the bet.

And yes, I do plan things out that far in advance. I've been holding my intention to create an account named mastina close to my chest since spring of 2015, because I wanted to make it on my eighth scumday (October 8th, 2008, plus 8 years. I mean, I know, October is the tenth month and all that, but Octo does mean eight) and I didn't want some asshole to steal the name from me.

In post 12, Aristophanes wrote:So, why make a new account in '09? And in '16?
I made a new account on my first scumday for a LOT of reasons. You have to understand that, at the time I came to mafiascum, I was a naive little kid. I had heard of mafiascum from some random discussion about the game of mafia in the battleon forums' forum game section. (Unfortunately, for space concerns because their forums are kind-of an old relic, they have--or at least had--a policy of deleting all completed games after a certain amount of time had passed, so I have no way of looking these things up.) So when I came here, I was the mastin2 from Battleon Forums.

Everyone on the Battleon Forums called me Mastin, thus why when I signed up on here I went with the capital M and the lack of the number, but my actual username on the battleon forums, the forum I originated from, was--and still is--mastin2. (So, mastin2 predates Mastin.) I had a lot of potential, early-on in my career: in my first two games, I drew cop and got guilties both times and basically singlehandedly won the games for the town. I also got nightkilled a lot.

...But then, the early beginner's luck of sorts, the success, got to my head, I gained an ego, and I proceeded to ruin game after game by being one, a total dick, and two, a complete moron, while three, being an utterly incompetent player, who four, spammed the thread, making it five, completely intolerable to play with me, and six, I joined so many games that I didn't have enough time for them which was especially disastrous when seven, I had to mass-flake.

A wallposting, spamposting, lurking, village idiot who tried to one-up craziness and insanity with each passing game. I wouldn't want to play with the me of that era, and nobody else did--or would--either. Inefficient, deliberately-scummy posting that was noisy and didn't actually work, not to mention an extreme attitude problem and being an incredibly sore loser who would rant that it was never my fault even though it always was.

And by the time my scumday was approaching, I had time to reflect on all of this. I hated what I had become. It wasn't the me I had hoped to be. It wasn't the me I had dreamed to be upon joining the site. It wasn't mastin2, the person who had immigrated from the battleon forums. It was someone else. And, I liked mastin2. mastin2, on the battleon forums, was adored! People loved me there, I had good friends, I was in a respectable position. I never got in trouble, people would ask me for advice, and I was in general just fun to be around.

So, I went out of my way to get a computer with internet access on that day. (See, I had internet at home, but mafiascum was--and still is--blocked by my parents, the cause of my original site flake.) I remember it clearly, I specifically walked to the YMCA and went into the teen center, specifically so that on October 8th (I did look the day up!), I'd have the chance to create a new account, which I'd use if I returned to playing. I didn't know if I'd ever consider myself ready/worthy to step into that account, but I made it, and I waited, because I hoped that I could be that better person I remembered.

...Not that it made much of a difference, since one, people still remember me as Mastin, and two, I blew it as mastin2 anyway (multiple times, in fact--about once a year, minimum), but the thought was still there. :P

As for why mastina: One, I wanted an account on my eighth scumday. Two, people still call me "he", and those same people often are the ones who call me "Mastin", which is (theoretically) harder to do on an account called "mastina". (In other words, to combat dysphoria.) And three, everyone calls me mastina nowadays anyway. (Well, the majority of people do.) So it just fit perfectly.

It is odd though that they wouldn't have ever spoken up!
The first and most likely explanation is that they just aren't around anymore. Probably not on either, but it'd only take not being around on here.
The second possibility is simply that they've forgotten.

I mean, to me, the battleon forums were my home long before mafiascum was, so I remember them fondly. They introduced me to mafia, so it's relevant to me.
For them, for all I know, the battleon forums were a short-term thing and they were around on mafiascum longer/earlier.

After all...there were only three games ever played.
The first game, which I spectated, was what we'd know as a semi-open.
The second and third games were both (hilariously scumsided) multiball setups, with one being secret multiball and the other being more public multiball. (Incidentally, I was nightkilled N1 in both of those games. I was also the DOCTOR in both of those games.) Both were mod-abandoned some time around D2, and were contemporary games to each other. One was werewolf-themed, I think the second had some sort of alien invader theme? But the original was classic mafia.

Title Fairy Feedback

McMenno
Man of Many Faces

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:33 pm

so is this permanent or what

mastina
Memorable Event

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:35 pm

The account?
Oh yeah, I'm gonna be using it a fair amount.
Not quite sure if I'm making it my main, but I'm definitely going to get my mileage here.

Title Fairy Feedback

McMenno
Man of Many Faces

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:37 pm

maybe I should store up some alts

I'll call it... the alt vault

mastina
Memorable Event

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:50 pm

You'd be amazed at how many alts I have.
I only have the two on my scumday, but I do have a ton out there, here and there.
Two are pretty well-known: one from my days as Mastin (altslipped multiple times there), one from my days as mastin2 (never altslipped, but I've referenced my games on that account, and on that account have reference my games, so it's really basically common knowledge of players from that era).

Yet beyond that, they do literally number in the dozens. Most are tied to my account, but at least one or two aren't, so even the mods might not know about them. (Not that I could use them, since I don't remember the passwords, so they're lost forever.)

Title Fairy Feedback

Aristophanes
Paid the rent

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:22 pm

That's actually an awesome story Mastina! :)

vonflare
ドオト

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:55 am

This post was auto-generated

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:05 am

Not sure if this is just a vonflare thread but happy birthday glork
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

GTKAS Jiffy! (Part 1) || GTKAS Jerfy (The Sequel!) || How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart) || In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

vonflare
ドオト

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:56 am

can't it be both?
This post was auto-generated

PokerFace
Too Useful

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:59 am

Glork is a year older

Screw you Cancer!
Plays as PokerFace on irc
Plays as Noj on scumchat
I love to Vidge on Night 0

Glork
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:27 am

I'm not sure whether to say thanks or just merge this with the existing Birthday/Scumday thread.

I guess both.

Thanks!

*merges thread*
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!

Next
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion