I'm Bored and Have Some Talent

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Post by Firebringer »

These are huge improvements in art style compared to first image you provided.
As a unlicensed unqualified critique. I say keep it up.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:55 pm

Post by T-Bone »

This is cool.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:56 pm

Post by Accountant »

So she's breaking into a booby-trapped house?
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:35 am

Post by mastina »

In post 24, Brandi wrote:Someday I'll try again.
You'd be good at it! Your art is leagues above my own in quality. And I'm not saying I suck. (I mean, I'm not great, but I'm at least okay.) You're just in a league of your own in comparison to me.
In post 25, Firebringer wrote:These are huge improvements in art style compared to first image you provided.
As a unlicensed unqualified critique. I say keep it up.
The improvements are partially the real-life me getting better at drawing between the gaps for the sketches, and partially me becoming more competent at actually using the program I am. I think that the next page I have is probably going to be the "peak": it'll be even better artistically than this one was, and with maybe one or two exceptions down the line, all the pages after it are going to be overall inferior.

Then again, I haven't actually finished the digital drawings
for
them, so who knows? I might actually not disappoint you.
But, this is me giving you a fair warning that, most likely, you will in fact be facing disappointment: initially impressed with what I provide next, and then holding me to that standard, finding what follows fairly lackluster.

All the same: thank you! I do appreciate the support and while I'm warning you I don't get much better, I do at least HOPE that I can continue to give something at least adequate.
In post 27, Accountant wrote:So she's breaking into a booby-trapped house?
No, it's a normal house. She just went for a dynamic entry and discovered that some superhero tropes...encounter issues when tried.

The source of the electrocution will be shown in a couple of pages--it's the reason she came in through the window in the first place. (Unfortunately, it'll be a while before you see that page. I'm thinking of taking two weeks off of comic-making and attempting to write the entirety of the novel version of Gistou in that time period, for NaNoWriMo.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Post by mastina »

Spoiler: That’s great! …What KIND?
Yes, she’s calling out Tropes by name. It’s
that
kind of series. The answer to the spoiler title will become clear as the series progresses, but obviously at least partially the Warrior type given her transforming bow.

...On the artistic side of things: this is as good as I'm getting, realistically speaking. I honestly think that this could potentially be the magnum opus of my work; everything following it...just isn't as good, in my eyes.

That being said:
Remember how I said before that there would be some artistic inconsistencies? Well here ya go. Her bow handle has a shadow. It should not; that's an error. Similarly, the bow handle is opaque when it should be partially transparent; that is also an error.

This is a bit of a nitpick, but the shadow has a white outline, thanks to wrong order of operations (I transformed THEN filled, where I should've filled THEN transformed).
I have a similar misapplication in the handling of the sketch layers, too. (Thus why elements of the black and white version are so strong.) Plus, this is detail-work, but basically: this is one of the only images I anticipate ever drawing of a hand so close...and I didn't include fingernails.

And while not an error per se, there's a difference in the bow between this page and the cover page. Speaking of the bow, as a probable (but not necessarily) error, the arrow appears to pass right through bow handle. And that's just the glaring errors which stuck out to me. I'm usually fairly good at self-critiquing my own work, but even I have blindspots; you as a viewer will probably notice plenty more! (I'm always open to critique, by the way. Some areas I know I need improvement in, but if you critique an area I wasn't aware I needed improvement in, you'd actually be helping me out!)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:52 am

Post by mastina »

Yes I am quite aware of the atrocious anatomy (if you can even call it that)/perspective, I wasn't exactly putting that much effort into this, if I was then I would've been able to make a page. :P

Butyeah, this was thanks to an incredibly stressful week and a bad mental spot. It's turned into a bit of a longer break thanks to NaNoWriMo, but I'm not stopping indefinitely.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:05 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

This is awesome
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:22 pm

Post by mastina »

It is! I put it on hold for NaNoWriMo, but that's ending soon, so expect me back!
zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:03 pm

Post by zakk »

why are the legs all wobbly is she scared or just a wobbly alien

why is the red hood riders hood black

what is her name other than red hood rider

what is she riding

if nothing then why is she called red hood rider

so many questions

so little
time
permanently retired

see here for more info
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 33, zakk wrote:why are the legs all wobbly is she scared or just a wobbly alien
Lack of program experience, limited to the first page. After gaining experience and switching to a wireless mouse rather than the laptop's built-in mousepad, I fixed that.
why is the red hood riders hood black
Funny story that.
The inside of the hood was supposed to be one color, and the outside another. I forget which was which. One was red, the other was black.
At some point, the outside became black so the inside was supposed to be red.

...But then when it came time to actually draw the inside, that...uh, didn't happen.
So it was accidental art deviation on my end.
what is her name other than red hood rider
Ruby Scarlet Ventrella is her full name.
if nothing then why is she called red hood rider
The name Red Hood Rider is a triple-pun: Robin
Hood
, little
Red Riding Hood
, and Kamen
Riders
, essentially.

As for what riders are: riders are a cousin to magical girls. The full explanation of what makes a rider a rider is a 13-page document, so you
probably
don't wanna hear me talk about it
that
much. To keep the long story short, though: a rider is essentially a being fighting for the forces of good. They are innately imbued with the element light. (The Rubyverse works on an eight-element system: fire, ice, water, energy, air, earth, light, and darkness.) They can be of either gender and any age, but teenaged girls are the most common. Each uses a construct of some kind, in Ruby's case a bow, to fight. A fundamental rule of being a rider is that they are physically incapable of killing their opponents.

The name rider comes from connotations of them being holy beacons of justice, essentially. And they do this largely by instinct, following the path they are guided to. In short, they represent the verb ride: "sit on and control the movement of", or "be carried or supported by (something with a great deal of momentum)" with a shade of "be full of or dominated by". They both direct others (the first), and are being directed themselves (the second). A true rider cannot be corrupted, because they are full of and absolutely dominated by the principles of being good. Thus, rider.

And I know that's sappy, but it's at least what the term means in theory. In reality, things are...a bit looser. Ruby is a fine example of a rider who does not exemplify a cliched do-gooder personality. They're still actual human beings. They can be wrong. They can be manipulated to some extent. But they're USUALLY in the right.

You can also see connotations from rider: "a small weight positioned on the beam of a balance for fine adjustment". In
theory
, this is what riders are meant to do for society: balance it, by making small positive changes for the better, i.e., taking crooks off the streets. More in the ancient term: "‘mounted warrior, knight’", while she may lack a mount, riders are considered to essentially be the chivalrous portrayal of an ideal knight: a warrior of justice who upholds virtues and fights for the betterment of humanity as a whole, with honor.

And just like real-life knights, real-life riders...tend to fall short of that idealism. You probably won't see that immediately, but as the story progresses, you'll see more and more of their flaws.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:32 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 34, mastina wrote: Ruby Scarlet Ventrella is her full name.
Good.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:53 pm

Post by JaeReed »

It's ok if you need to put things off a bit more, mastin <3
"Jae defends his townreads like a fanatic" - Charloux
"On the issue of myself they go back and forth between overpowering paranoia and absolute certainty I'm town... it's kind of exhausting." - Nahdia
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:02 pm

Post by mastina »

Sure it'd be okay, but that doesn't mean I want to. :P

I'm working on the next page basically now, as I multitask.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:45 pm

Post by mastina »

Spoiler: You can tell he’s unimportant because he doesn’t have a name!
When I said it was kind of world, I wasn’t kidding, y’know.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:22 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I realized the main character here reminds me of Ruby Rose, except for it's a light bow instead of a scythe/sniper rifle
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Post by JaeReed »

THAT REMINDED ME I NEED TO MAKE HER WATCH THAT WITH ME SINCE SHE HASN'T SEEN IT

Thanks, Gamma!
"Jae defends his townreads like a fanatic" - Charloux
"On the issue of myself they go back and forth between overpowering paranoia and absolute certainty I'm town... it's kind of exhausting." - Nahdia
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

YES, YOU'RE SO WELCOME
<Embrace The Void>

Return to “General Discussion”