quickie experiment ideas

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:03 am

Post by Accountant »

Are people who are more wordy in mafia games more likely to read wordy posts or text walls?
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Post by Psyche »

had this other idea that might be interesting except i don't have a tight hypothesis/model to test

r/confession is a place where people can make confessions about questionable stuff - admissions to things they think would be popularly condemned by those they care about or themself; each post is labelled "Remorse", "No Regrets", "Conflicted", "Light", "Support Only", or "Tough Love"

i'm interested in the first three of those, because they can be used as a short of quantitative scoring of professed remorse about something someone's did (0 - No Regrets, 1 - Conflicted, 2 - Remorse)

it would be straightforward to do some studies, maybe train a ML classifier, on the content these different kinds of confessions to explore how language varies as people's shame/guilt varies
it could be a window into the psychology of remorse
in the final stage of research, maybe a complete science would be able to measure things like apology sincerity and whatnot
who knows!

the data is kind of messy because the subreddit is expressly for "(1) An acknowledgement or admission of wrongdoing on your part; or (2) a statement admitting that you are personally guilty of a wrongdoing", which posts labeled as "No Regrets" would seem to not even qualify for
it's not clear why people make posts like those to r/confessions, so if i were to do any serious, rather than exploratory research, i'd need to also do some accounting for stuff like this

before i mess with this stuff, i'd like to find some previous models of regret/regret expression so that i can clearly connect the project to past research and test specific and broadly meaningful hypotheses
until i get something like that, this idea will probably idle
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Post by Vaxkiller »

How many replies to a post in an online forum before a meme is presented.
Vaxkiller is not anti-vaccine, he is a killer of Vax machines.

Games played.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

would be interested in the nationality of those people.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Post by Vaxkiller »

Speaking of reddit psyche, did you see r/place ? It was reddits april fools thing. Everyone could place 1 colored square every 5 min on a big blank canvas. It made me think alot about people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/

Some nice data in there.

I was thinking, what if the blank canvas was bigger? How would that effect how people acted?
What if it were smaller?

Games played.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:31 pm

Post by Psyche »

what could the data illustrate about the human mind
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:31 pm

Post by Vaxkiller »

Are you doing a quantitative study or qualitative study?

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:32 pm

Post by Vaxkiller »

In post 30, Psyche wrote:what could the data illustrate about the human mind
Hmmm, I guess thats kinda subjective. I see what your going for now.

Games played.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:52 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

experiment with quickies you say

I'll see if your mom is free and get back to you
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:24 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

Experiment: Send me $5 and see what happens.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:03 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 7, Allomancer wrote:
In post 6, Psyche wrote:One thing I study a lot is randomness perception. Explicitly, a lot of people have the mistaken belief that, if something happens more frequently than normal during some period, it will happen less frequently in the future, or that, if something happens less frequently than normal during some period, it will happen more frequently in the future (presumably as a means of balancing nature). And even those who don't subscribe to the gambler's fallacy still exhibit a sort of over-alternation bias. In a series of coin tosses, the likelihood that a Heads will follow a Tails is 50% - that's what a random alternation rate looks like. However, people think that sequences where the alternation rate is more like 55% or even 60% look
more
random than truly random sequences. And no one seems to know for sure why. I'm going to try to survey the literature for hypothetical explanations and think up short experiments that would falsify each of them.
I've noticed that, too! Like, if you flip 3 heads in a row, people think, "okay, theres no way we can flip heads again"
that's known as the Gambler's Fallacy. It's a common and enduring misconception, unfortunately.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:22 am

Post by Accountant »

How come people never list me as conftown when I draw three scum in a row
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:02 am

Post by Psyche »

it's usually a fallacy people avoid when they have time to think things through
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

Well this is within the realm of the brain I guess, at least, audiologists will never figure it out:

I have undiagnosable Tinnitus. It's a type of subjective Tinnitus that only I can hear, and it manifests itself in the brain. I've had it from my earliest memories and experience Tinnitus whenever I perceive near-silence or think about Tinnitus. I have no injury in my ear and no observable hearing loss (perfect hearing). The ringing in my head only impairs my ability to sleep, which is fixed by having white noise (my ENT suggested radio static, but that's nearly as bad) or my solution: music, which I listen to all day for the same reason.

My question: are people with undiagnosable Tinnitus more likely to partake in creative activities? If I wasn't tired all the time, I imagine I would be playing my guitar more often.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Post by Psyche »

that would be hard to pull off as a quickie, especially since the tinnitus you specify is undiagnosed
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 22, Brandi wrote:I'm pretty bat at wording things so maybe you can understand the idea of my question here:

Are people more or less likely to be discouraged to pursue certain "dream"* fields of work if they are generally thought of as creative ones?

*(As in something someone cares about and wants to do- typically not something like working at mcdonalds)
i like this idea but i wonder how i could turn it into a quickie experiment
i could have one condition where participants are in one condition primed to think a career field they like is creatively involved (maybe we ask them to list some ways the field requires creativity?) and in one condition
not
primed the same way (but maybe as a control have them list ways the field engages the 5 senses), and measure their interest in the field afterward using a likert scale, etc?

if interest is greater in control condition than the priming condition, that would be evidence for the hypothesis

there are probably some kinks in this design to fix, but since it wouldn't take long for a participant to go through the manipulation (like, 5 minutes?), i could probably run an experiment like this pretty cheaply (a little over $20 for n = 40?). Would need to connect the experiment to a body of literature for the experiment to be worthwhile though.

Return to “General Discussion”