Accountant's Utopia Philosophy

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2725 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:27 am

Post by Shaziro »

That clearly isn't a well enough personified enemy for people to unite. My point is, you're not going about your goals in the most efficient or optimal manner, which I figure would be part of it actually being correct.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2726 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:47 am

Post by Accountant »

They won't unite because there's an enemy to unite against. They'll unite because it's
right
. Or, well, because they got re-educted. Same thing. But I refuse to bring about utopia in an unrighteous way. The moral high ground MUST be maintained in order to continue our position of superiority.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #2727 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:52 am

Post by Annadog40 »

Morality is situational.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2728 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:06 am

Post by Accountant »

No.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2729 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:34 am

Post by Shaziro »

Yup.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2730 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:44 am

Post by Accountant »

Nope. What is right does not change.

Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #2731 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:47 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

It's wrong to shoot someone for no reason
It's right to shoot someone to stop them committing a massacre
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2732 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 am

Post by Accountant »

The two are different things. The first is murder, the second is self defense. Murder being wrong doesn't change no matter what the situation is.

Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #2733 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:51 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Quick hammering as town is wrong
Quick hammering as scum in lylo is right
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2734 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:53 am

Post by Accountant »

Again, the two are different things. The first is "not playing to your win con", the second is "playing to your win con"(this is not pedantry; quickhammering is bad as town because it makes town lose).

Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #2735 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:07 am

Post by Annadog40 »

So different situations.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2736 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Post by Accountant »

?

Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2737 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Post by Shaziro »

You are describing situational morality, Accountant. The act is the same, for instance quickhammering, but the -situation- is different, and that defines the morality of the act.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2738 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Post by Accountant »

You can call it whatever you want, really. My point was made, and that's all there is to it.

Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2739 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Post by Shaziro »

I mean, no it wasn't. If your point was that morality isn't situational...you know, the thing you said...then your point was pretty soundly shot down. Not even with light arms fire, it was some Anti-Air level shootdown.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2740 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 2739, Shaziro wrote:I mean, no it wasn't. If your point was that morality isn't situational...you know, the thing you said...then your point was pretty soundly shot down. Not even with light arms fire, it was some Anti-Air level shootdown.
Uh? Morality isn't situational. The nature of the correct path doesn't change no matter what situation you're at.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2741 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 2734, Accountant wrote:Again, the two are different things. The first is "not playing to your win con", the second is "playing to your win con"(this is not pedantry; quickhammering is bad as town because it makes town lose).

Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2742 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:48 pm

Post by Shaziro »

Murder, Accountant. Man murders man. Is it moral or not?
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2743 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Post by Accountant »

That is not the definition of murder.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2744 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Post by Accountant »

the
unlawful
premeditated killing of one human being by another.

Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2745 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Post by Shaziro »

Fine. Man kills man. Is it moral or not?
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2746 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Post by Accountant »

Neither. The act of "man killing man" is not even considered to be something that can be defined as a moral action.

Here's why. It's clear that things are moral insofar as they push forward the correct path and immoral insofar as they block or sabotage it. Without understanding how the particular act of man killing man affects the correct path, it's not even considered to be an action that can be judged under morality. The question posed in 2745 is as meaningful as asking me "Bob eats a burger. Is it moral or not?" or "Alice presses a button. Is it moral or not?"

There's nothing inherently moral or immoral in the act of killing another human being(not in the same way that following the law is inherently moral and murder is inherently immoral). That's because there are so many different moral actions that fall under the scope "killing another human being", including an executioner that lawfully executes a condemnn prisoner, a person that kills another in self-defense, a serial killer that hunts down and stabs a victim to death, a soldier that shoots another soldier and so on and so forth.

When I say "there is no such thing as situational morality", I mean that the nature of the correct path is independent of the situation. The question "what is moral?" only has one answer: that answer is "to follow the correct path". The actual calculation of what real course of action leads to the correct path depends on you - that is indeed situation-dependent(a point I have never contested). But things that are inherently wrong, like murder, will continue to be wrong no matter what the situation is. And there is no situation that would lead to something like "not following the correct path" being the most moral thing to do.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2747 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Post by Accountant »

To illustrate the difference between calculating whether or not something is moral vs calculating what's the most moral course of action, let's look at someone who's deciding what charity to donate their money to. Some charities waste all your money on overhead expenses - others are run by unscrupulous people that steal money. Others are actually good charities to donate to. Calculating what charity to donate to is situation dependent, but the act of "donating to charity" being a good thing remains constant.

Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #2748 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2749 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Post by Shaziro »

I was looking for a picture/comic in the same vein, beat me to it you jerk!

Return to “General Discussion”