2017 NFL Football

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #1425 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:09 am

Post by PJ. »

Like, it's very clear that this rule is being called in a way that far exceeds what it's trying to accomplish, with refs being able to look at the action frame by frame.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1426 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 am

Post by racefan12 »

In post 1420, PokerFace wrote:Also the cowboys game. I thought it was a first down when they showed footage. Then they brought out the sticks. It now looked like I was wrong or they gave the ball a bad spot. Then they bust out a folded index card. WTH! Since when is this a thing? What's the crazy rule that allows this?
At least since 2013
PrivateI:
I wish I could bang on the home keys on my keyboard to create an appeal to emotion. It sounds so...soothing.

CuddlyCaucasian:
Mafiascum: a land where pansexuality is widely accepted and understood while two people who share the same first name cause mass confusion

You have questions about me? I try to give you answers!
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1427 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:30 am

Post by racefan12 »

I had a long response to the Jesse james catch typed up, but my phone delete it because it's dumb, so tl;dr: It should have been a catch, but I took one look at it and knew it wouldn't be called as one because it was in the end zone.
PrivateI:
I wish I could bang on the home keys on my keyboard to create an appeal to emotion. It sounds so...soothing.

CuddlyCaucasian:
Mafiascum: a land where pansexuality is widely accepted and understood while two people who share the same first name cause mass confusion

drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1428 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:48 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

Thom Brennaman and Chris Spielman are both so bad - Thom is airheaded and it's like he did too many pharmaceuticals in the 70s, Chris is just Neanderthal-ish

(I listened to the eagles game live, not watched, now am watching and have to deal with these 2)
balance among all things
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1429 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:08 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 1421, PJ. wrote:I can't wait for Brady and Belichick retire so LUV can support the best NFL team
fixed
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1430 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:11 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

4th down false start penalty at the end of the eagles vs. giants game, causing a 10 second run-off of the clock

eagles should decline the penalty so that a.) they don't give the giants' offense more space to work with and, b.) they don't get the 10 second run-off which, if the giants end up scoring, the eagles would want more time on the clock
balance among all things
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #1431 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:14 am

Post by Flameaxe »

In post 1430, drealmerz7 wrote:4th down false start penalty at the end of the eagles vs. giants game, causing a 10 second run-off of the clock

eagles should decline the penalty so that a.) they don't give the giants' offense more space to work with and, b.) they don't get the 10 second run-off which, if the giants end up scoring, the eagles would want more time on the clock
This is decent to talk about

But really the offside on 4th and 4 the giants we're punting would have been the penalty that lost the game
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1432 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:22 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

6 points that would have won the giants the game:

1 - blocked extra point
3 - blocked field goal
2 - safety after changeover on downs and eagles were backed up near the end zone until they got space by a giants' penalty after their 4th down play was over

I don't know if I've seen a special teams get 3 different types of kick-blocks in a game before

extra point, field goal, punt

what you going to do next, block a kickoff?
balance among all things
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1433 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:27 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

So losing the game is obviously better for the giants than winning it.

But my question is this, is the fact that we've sucked all year on offense entirely related to McAdoo's shitty play calling and shitty scheming? Because it sure as fuck seems like it.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1434 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:28 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

yes obviously it was clear from the get go he was a terrible coach

and I would say yes of course it is better to have lost for draft purposes, especially considering it was mostly a moral victory (even though I'm sure eli is like "fuck the stats I want to get the win")
Last edited by drealmerz7 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
balance among all things
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1435 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:28 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

It should have been a fumble in the endzone

Still bitter.
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #1436 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:29 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 1430, drealmerz7 wrote:4th down false start penalty at the end of the eagles vs. giants game, causing a 10 second run-off of the clock

meh, I think it takes away the option of a run play
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1437 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:29 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

right exactly it's a fumble in the endzone which is then recovered
balance among all things
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1438 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:30 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Right but I thought it was a complicated set of factors: Our O-line isn't very good. Our RBs weren't very good (a fact that clearly revealed itself to not be true once Darkwa and Galliman started getting carries.) Eli was old and inaccurate. I knew the play calling was bad and I've ranted enough about it in this thread but I didn't think it would be as simple as "have someone else do the scheme and the playcalling and have the offense actually play like an NFL team again."
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1439 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:30 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

In post 1436, shaft.ed wrote:

meh, I think it takes away the option of a run play
worth it to keep the shorter distance, giants weren't running well at all vs. eagles and that's easy enough to defend that far out for eagles D at that point, more distance even gives runners more space to move through if you want to contest that it doesn't remove the run option if the penalty is taken
balance among all things
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1440 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:31 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Also are you kidding me no? 4th and 12 at the goal line is much more difficult than fourth and 6. Eli even said after the game: "There aren't a lot of good fourth and goal from the 12 plays in the play book."

From that spot the giants essentially have 1 option for the play which helps the eagles defend.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1441 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:33 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

In post 1440, Thestatusquo wrote:Also are you kidding me no? 4th and 12 at the goal line is much more difficult than fourth and 6. Eli even said after the game: "There aren't a lot of good fourth and goal from the 12 plays in the play book."

From that spot the giants essentially have 1 option for the play which helps the eagles defend.
hmm, yeah, well, hard to agrue considering the result anyway, but, it's definitely how I was thinking end of game
balance among all things
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1442 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

from a coaching standpoint and advantage standpoint

- the super bowl is in Minnesota, so which do you think is better (General Yu!) ? :

a.) the Eagles get home field advantage through the playoffs

b.) the Eagles travel to Minnesota for the NFC Championship and get familiarity with 1.) the travel there, 2.) potential winter weather conditions, 3.) the facilities and overall stadium, 4.) a dominantly Minnesota biased crowd conditions which in turn prepares them for super-bowl conditions as far as noise+unfriendly territory, and all of those making it 5.) a harder test overall to further help the Eagles be more prepared for the SuperBowl
balance among all things
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #1443 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:42 am

Post by shaft.ed »

I mean really, what the Eagles should be worried about is how the hell the Giants are even in that game. Offense did it's job and special teams repeatedly saved the day. But their secondary was horrendous against a team that has been struggling to do anything on offense all season because it has zero run game, a bad O-line and an entire group of second string WRs.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #1444 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:44 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 1442, drealmerz7 wrote:from a coaching standpoint and advantage standpoint

- the super bowl is in Minnesota, so which do you think is better (General Yu!) ? :

b.) the Eagles travel to Minnesota for the NFC Championship and get familiarity with 1.) the travel there, 2.) potential winter weather conditions, 3.) the facilities and overall stadium, 4.) a dominantly Minnesota biased crowd conditions which in turn prepares them for super-bowl conditions as far as noise+unfriendly territory, and all of those making it 5.) a harder test overall to further help the Eagles be more prepared for the SuperBowl
6) Eagles lose their first game of the playoffs anyway, so this is all pointless speculation
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1445 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:00 am

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

In post 1429, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 1421, PJ. wrote:I can't wait for Brady and Belichick retire so LUV can support the best NFL team
fixed
#Boston4Life
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1446 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:06 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

In post 1444, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 1442, drealmerz7 wrote:from a coaching standpoint and advantage standpoint

6) Eagles lose their first game of the playoffs anyway, so this is all pointless speculation
it was a question of which anyone thinks is better :þ
balance among all things
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #1447 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:11 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Slightly increased chance of winning in Philly is better than a slightly decreased chance of losing in Minny
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1448 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:33 am

Post by racefan12 »

In post 1437, drealmerz7 wrote:right exactly it's a fumble in the endzone which is then recovered
That's the conclusion I came to.

The interesting question I would have is how it would have been called had James been touched as he was going to the ground. In my mind, that should have put him beong down at the 1 yard line, as the ball didn't actually touch the ground until after his knee was down and he then lunged forward to try to reach the end zone. It probably still would have been called incomplete though.
PrivateI:

CuddlyCaucasian:

T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #1449 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:40 am

Post by T-Bone »

Scot, I'm a Ravens fan and root for any and all failures for the Steelers. There is no reason you need to take it personally.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019

Return to “General Discussion”