2017 NFL Football

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon
Location: Welcome to Silent Hill (The living's in the way we die)

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:27 am

Post by Bella »

During the regular season, Boswell has missed one extra point in 2 seasons (62/63), and is 50/57 over that time, including a single miss under 40 yards. Heinz Field is also notoriously bad for kickers because of the wind (and historically, the shitty playing surface, although they've vastly improved that over the last 5-10 years). That, and the fact that it's mathematically advantageous to go for two more often than conventional, conservative football wisdom (choosing when to go for 2 is Tomlin's strongest area as a football coach, imo) is why the Steelers go for two more than most teams. Kicker isn't a problem there, and the Steelers have bigger needs.

Edit: Also, the Steelers recently re-signed him, so...
Show
Chloroform girl, how have you been?
Don't let me catch you sleeping again
You're only alive because I like you
It's been three years since you've seen the sunlight
But I know you're having fun
Bound, gagged and chained up in my basement
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:52 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

If Cruz is going to have another 1,000 yard season, it will be because the WRs ahead of him on a depth chart are hurt.

Jennings' issue with the Giants was simply the offensive line. He isn't anything special anyway, but not many RBs would succeed in NY without being able to catch passes regularly.

Completely agree about Cousins. Best situation for Washington and for Cousins is him re-signing.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:25 am

Post by Bella »

Cruz is a slot receiver, he underperformed last season because he was asked to play outside more. In the right kind of offence (the Patriots, for example, where they run 4 receiver sets a lot and orient their offence to making passes in the middle of the field, thus making slot receivers a more important part of their game), he could still put up a 1,000 yard season. On most teams, he's going to be a third option, even if players ahead of him on the depth chart get hurt.
Show
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:57 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Cruz could put up a 1,000 yard season with the Patriots if you break Gronk's kneecaps and shoot Edelman in his constantly-hurt foot first. There's no way Cruz would put up more than 750 yards on a healthy Patriots offense. Too many mouths to feed.
Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:34 pm

Post by Bella »

I didn't say he could do it on the Patriots, I cited the Patriots offence as an example of the type he could put up 1,000 yards in. Although, rumor has it that Amendola might be cut if he doesn't restructure his contract, and as a bigger receiver than both of them, Belichick and McDaniels are perfectly capable of tweaking their offence to take advantage of that fact. Put together with the fact that Gronk will likely get hurt (he's played the full regular season twice in his career, and hasn't done it for 5 years) and Edelman played 16 games twice in his career, and I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that Cruz could do it.
Show
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Post by PJ. »

I need more tavon Austin in my life.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

So is AP about to be a Raider and how should I feel about that possibility?

I kinda think they have other needs they should be focused on:
- re-sign Carr and Mack
- grab a top tier corner
- improve the MLB position
- sign a RT to replace Watson
- consider upgrading at slot WR

Their line is good enough for some no name RB to do fine, so why take a high cost gamble on AP? And if they do want to spend money on the position, why not just bring back Murray? But it's still AP so if he's got something left in the tank, he'd be fun to watch.

I keep hearing Martellus Bennett's name too and it's kind of the same thing. TE isn't a need and he won't come cheap but man is that an upgrade.

Basically I'm confused about how to feel about these names coming up.

One thing I know is I don't want Lacy or Blount. Or even Desean Jackson for the money he wants.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Post by PJ. »

Do you guys run pro style or are you mostly spread? AP has run 90% of his runs out of traditional pro style sets, so he's "old school". Might be a fit issue.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:57 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Raiders should sign Steven Jackson.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Well Romo is about to get cut. :/
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:03 am

Post by ChrisOrmie »

Broncos fan here. I think we're the favorites for Romo at this stage, but I really don't want him. Our O-Line is so porous that he'll last maybe 2 games before getting injured, plus Siemian would probably be traded to make the room. This means we could have Lynch (not ready yet, second playbook in 2 years...) without any real backup - VERY scary proposition. I'll take Siemian as starter again, Lynch as backup, and I think that's good enough this season to make the playoffs even if we don't go far in them.

Defense is way underrated imho, a D-Line run stopper like Calais Campbell would take away the one weakness I think that group has. Sadly Jacksonville might be leading that chase, but he's a CO native and hoping he wants more than just dollars. Expecting a run-stopping ILB through the draft (r3 possibly) to help out there but apart from that it's a fairly complete setup. The draft is stacked with CB, but that's our strongest position and so hoping other teams take them off the board and leave us to pick a bit more than we could normally.

O-Line is scary. Only worthwhile starter from last year was Matt Paradis, who is coming off two hip surgeries. Need FA here as the draft is weak, so two of Whitworth/Reiff/Zeitler quality would be good for me but probably a bit of a stretch. Probably end up with Okung again if he's willing to take less than he was due to, and need to find a RT. The guards I think we have as the coaching is far superior this year to the past few, and our current players have the talent to make it work. Not going to be an amazing O-Line, but it should keep TS on his feet long enough to make us competitive on offense again - not to mention being able to punch holes for us to get a run game going this year. Take the vets to patch things this year (maybe next) and wait until a better draft class to rebuild the O-Line - only thing that makes sense to me, however I would take Ramczyk at 20 if he's healthy. He might take a year to learn, or could plug in at RT if we don't solve that at FA, but I like his footage and think he'd be a good long-term fit.

Scariest thing is how good Oakland/KC became last season. Think we've now got a good fight on our hands, but should have enough to make the playoffs with a bit of luck.
Ride forth you merry gentlemen of yore and tell the lords of Hades that we come for to claim their heads in the names of vengeance and righteousness!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:36 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

WEWWWWW BOY.

yall

the brock osweiller saga is fucking amazing

so the texans dumped him to the browns. brown had a fucking wealth of cap room so they took him to buy a draft pick, basically
browns said they were considering just cutting him
now teams are already reaching out to the browns to figure out his availability

also: Latavius Murray to Seattle (rumor), JT to Dolphins, Alshon to the Eagles? Jesus christ i love free agency
green shirt thursdays
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:25 am

Post by ChrisOrmie »

In post 36, xRECKONERx wrote:WEWWWWW BOY.

yall

the brock osweiller saga is fucking amazing

so the texans dumped him to the browns. brown had a fucking wealth of cap room so they took him to buy a draft pick, basically
browns said they were considering just cutting him
now teams are already reaching out to the browns to figure out his availability

also: Latavius Murray to Seattle (rumor), JT to Dolphins, Alshon to the Eagles? Jesus christ i love free agency
Hahahaha love this! Houston needed to dump that contract so badly - they paid through the nose to get him, and again to drop him!

Also seems that they now lead the race for Romo. Happy about that too. Calais Campbell chase is still not over by some reports, he's the only FA I really want badly at this stage.
Ride forth you merry gentlemen of yore and tell the lords of Hades that we come for to claim their heads in the names of vengeance and righteousness!
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:02 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Chris I agree with you about Denver.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:02 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 5, Nero Cain wrote:though if Romo does go anywhere it'll be the Texans.

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:12 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

yeah and i can't wait to see how much they overpay for him
green shirt thursdays
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:41 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

^

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Post by PJ. »

The most interesting thing about the Osweiler thing is that I'm surprised it doesn't happen(in football) more often, because it's a textbook basketball trade - bad teams taking on bad contracts for assets. And maybe giving up a decent veteren with a better contract in return.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:34 am

Post by PokerFace »

Yay romo to Texans seems most likely now. Hopkins should be happy
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 42, PJ. wrote:The most interesting thing about the Osweiler thing is that I'm surprised it doesn't happen(in football) more often, because it's a textbook basketball trade - bad teams taking on bad contracts for assets. And maybe giving up a decent veteren with a better contract in return.
football contracts have much less gauranteed money in them if I recall correctly
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:28 am

Post by PJ. »

Well basketball contracts are 100 percent guaranteed. But still think back to any bad qb that got a second contract basically ever. All of those guys put their teams in 8 digit holes whether they played or got cut.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Why did the Saints want to trade Cooks so badly?
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 46, T-Bone wrote:Why did the Saints want to trade Cooks so badly?
they have an over abundance on offense and need defense?

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

just read about it, supposedly Cooks was unhappy.

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Post by PJ. »

Makes sense, underutilized.

Return to “General Discussion”