2017 NFL Football

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

2017 NFL Football

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:24 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Last edited by Nero Cain on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 756, PokerFace wrote:Way too early next year predictions.

Romo goes to KC

1 KC
2 NE
3 PIT
4 TEN
5 OAK
6 BAL

1 GB
2 NYG
3 SEA
4 TB
5 DAL
6 SF

Outside of CAR's 3 peat no team has repeated hold of NFC south. Consider how well TB did this year and couple that with ATL and CAR loosing some important co-ordinators, I say TB takes NFC South next year

BAL < PIT
OAK > TEN
DAL > TB
SF > SEA

DAL > GB
SF < NYG
OAK < KC
PIT < NE

DAL > NYG
NE < KC

DAL < KC
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 757, Kmd4390 wrote:Romo's not going to KC. Foles is fine as a backup for them and Romo wants to start.

I agree with you on Tampa though. I've been saying since their little winning streak that their near future looks pretty bright.

1. PIT
2. NE
3. OAK
4. TEN
5. KC
6. CIN

1. DAL
2. SEA
3. TB
4. GB
5. ATL
6. NYG

OAK>CIN
KC>TEN
TB>NYG
GB>ATL

OAK>NE
PIT>KC
TB>SEA
GB>DAL

OAK>PIT
TB>GB

OAK>TB
37-20. Carr MVP.

Top 5 2018 draft picks:
1. NYJ
2. LA Rams
3. CHI
4. PHI
5. CLE

Fully admit to my Raiders fan bias and this is just for fun. Tampa beat KC and Seattle in that winning streak this season. I want to see what they do at RB, especially during Martin's suspension. But Winston played pretty well and is only getting better and more comfortable. Evans fixed his problems with drops and put up great numbers (#4 in rec yards, #2 in Rec TDs). I expect an upgrade at TE. The line obviously needs work, but if they take care of that, the offense will be one of the best in the league.

I considered putting the Bills in the 6 seed, but I don't like that they are going with a complete overhaul when they don't need to. The Bengals' biggest problem was injuries and they can fix that.

The NFC North is interesting too and it's easy to just default to the Packers because of their consistency over past years, but it's really not that simple. The Vikings showed promise early in the year, but they have very little cap space to fix the issues that they ran into and the DBs need to get on the same page with the coaching staff. The Lions improved a lot out of nowhere and it's hard to say whether they'll repeat this season's success or not. I can see it because the change seems to be a locker room / culture kind of thing, but maybe that would change if they lost a few games in a row at some point. It's hard for us fans to predict something like that because we aren't in the locker room with them. The Packers have already moved on from a couple of players early this offseason (Starks, Shields) but they don't really tend to make a lot of changes and they don't need to. I'd like to see them establish a running game, but they don't have many other weaknesses.

Most of my other picks are just teams that are good right now that it's hard to see dropping off. Of course 2-3 of them, at a minimum, probably will. But it will be because of a bad offseason, injuries, or other bad luck/decisions that there's no way we'll see coming right now. Other teams will improve in the draft and free agency, but it's hard to say who or why, and they may jump some of these teams. For example, the Redskins have a ton of uncertainty in their passing game. Until we see the offseason (who they keep, who they don't, and who they bring in), how can we say how they'll do next season?

I also feel weird putting the Browns at #5 in the draft believe it or not. They have a ton of draft picks, including #1 and #12 overall. They have a ton of cap space. And I really like their head coach. But a 1-15 team that is terrible at drafting and will struggle to get free agents to want to sign with them doesn't turn into a playoff team overnight. It will take time. And yes, more than it has already because they basically started over (again) last offseason. Now that they have the cap space and draft picks, it's time to see what they do with it. Baby steps.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Sorry, I felt it was time to start a new one. I also like to have edit powers.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Romo takes a paycut and stays with Dallas.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

though if Romo does go anywhere it'll be the Texans.

Browns
Jets
jacksonville
Broncos?
bears
vikings?
rams
49ers

Are his only other potential suitors. Other than maybe the Broncos the other teams seem don't seem much like contenders. A case could be maybe made for J-ville and the vikings but the vikes run game is in-flux.

Also just how cool would a all Texas SB be?

pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

In post 5, Nero Cain wrote:
Also just how cool would a all Texas SB be?
0/infinity cool
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:00 am

Post by PokerFace »

Romo wants a place he can start and go to a superbowl with. Only teams that fit that bill are DEN and KC. DEN has QBs early in their careers that could one day win a SB. KC has 1 QB much later in his career that won't win a superbowl in Smith. Foles is a good backup. BUT if KC wants a championship they need an upgrade and they can afford to risk Romo getting injuried as they have two guys that could easily come in and start though they are weaker than Romo.

JAX and MIN also have QBs early in their careers with unknown potentials in Bortles and Bridgewater. Bradford unlikly to stay with vikings after season starts. Romo will not want to be in CLE, CHI, or Rams. They have no chance at SB or playoffs in 3 years and at most thats what romo has left. CHI and RAMS may want Romo as a bridge to a young guy but cleveland won't want him for that.

NYJ could have playoff shot with Romo. Decker and Marshall are great targets for him. Forte great RB to take pressure off Romo. Powell good developing RB. NYJ defense however is not what it used to be. I think if Romo goes there they will make playoffs but fall short. DEN and KC can make playoffs without Romo and thats why Romo will want to go there. Romo does not want a team that he will have to push, he wants a team to push him to the top. Elliot and dallas could have pushed him if he still had time.

Romo is either KC, NYJ, or DAL in the future they most sensible
Last edited by PokerFace on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:12 am

Post by PokerFace »

If Romo goes to jets, my NFC picks remain the same while AFC is:
1 PIT
2 NE
3 OAK
4 TEN
5 NYJ
6 KC

NYJ > TEN
KC < OAK

NYJ < PIT
OAK < NE

NE < PIT (Pit finally beats NE in playoffs)

PIT < DAL (PIT chokes to a young team they should beat. Dallas uses more money on defense instead of on Tony. Sad day for Tony)

If Romo stays in Dallas:
1 NE
2 OAK
3 PIT
4 TEN
5 KC
6 BAL

1 GB
2 DAL (Dak may struggle in year 2 as people get a better hold on what DAL is now about. Romo will get playtime and boost them over NYG during
regular season
)
3 SEA
4 TB
5 NYG
6 SF

BAL < PIT
KC < TEN
NYG > TB
SF > SEA

KC < NE
PIT < OAK
NYG > DAL (Dallas DEF comes up short. Romo is scapegoated again. Perhaps now they get rid of him for 2018)
SF < GB

NYG < GB
OAK > NE (Carr for MVP but...)

OAK < GB (Rodgers better than another #4)
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:29 am

Post by T-Bone »

No way Romo goes to KC. They are satisfied with Alex, and he just came off one of the best years of his career.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:50 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 9, T-Bone wrote:No way Romo goes to KC. They are satisfied with Alex, and he just came off one of the best years of his career.
that.

I guess NYJ is an interesting situation. Like there's Marshall and Decker to throw the ball too but he's playing in the cold and Powell is your RB wich isn't horrible i guess. And you are in a division with the Pats, a Miami team that went to the playoffs and a fairly though (IMO) Bills team. If Romo is looking to win then this doesn't feel like an ideal situation to me.

In Denver there's a coaching change but they do have a talented roster so...I guess it makes sense. But don't they have a bad o-line? Why the fuck would he want to go there.

In Houston he's playing a fairly weak AFC South. I think they have a p solid defense and a nice 1-2 punch in Hopkins and Fuller and I think last years run game was a fluke. So I feel like Houston makes the most sense.

Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:26 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Romo suitors in my opinion:
SF
PIT (Only if Roethlisberger retires which probably won't happen, but has been discussed)
NYJ
DEN
DAL
CHI
WAS (If Cousins leaves which I don't see happening)
BUF
HOU (not sure they are interested, but I like the fit)
CLE
LA Rams (this is a stretch because of Goff)

I don't see KC at all. Alex Smith is their starter and that isn't changing. I don't agree with Poker that they need a change at QB to win the Super Bowl. What they need is to re-sign or somehow replace Berry, for Houston to stay healthy, and their RBs to stay healthy. A true #1 WR would help too.

Nero, the Browns are a little high on your list. If they wanted a short term bridge kind of QB, they wouldn't have cut Mccown. Not to compare Romo to Mccown because that would be an insult to Romo, but I think they want a long term answer whether that's Kessler, Griffin, Watson, Gorropolo, or someone else. Romo doesn't meet their interests.

I also don't see Minnesota or Jacksonville. Bradford has the job for at least 2017. After that, maybe they look to do something big in case Bridgewater doesn't come back strong from the injury. Jacksonville is being thrown around in these QB discussions, but I think Bortles gets one more year at the very least. You don't bring in a guy like Tony Romo in their situation. If they add a QB, it's a veteran that you don't have to go all in on or a rookie who needs time to develop.
Poker wrote:Romo wants a place he can start and go to a superbowl with. Only teams that fit that bill are DEN and KC
Poker, the Broncos are not a playoff team with their current roster. The defense from Super Bowl 50 has slowly started to crumble. They are still solid, but won'tcarry a team into the playoffs the way they did that year. It's a miricle they were close in 2016. They need to figure out QB. It seems like they want Paxton Lynch to win the starting job, but the uncertainty needs to fade. And the same is true with their RBs. Who is going to play what role in the running game? None of this means they don't have the tools to succeed, but they have a lot of work to do and they need to do it quickly in a division with the Chiefs, Raiders, and yes even the Chargers. Even if they figure everything out, it's hard to see them passing the Chiefs and Raiders right away which your predictions seem to show.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:17 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

no superbowl contending team should be looking for romo.

shits crazy.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

I mean teams looking for QBs aren't usually considered Super Bowl contending teams anyway but yeah.
Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon
Location: Welcome to Silent Hill (The living's in the way we die)

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:36 am

Post by Bella »

I think Romo's going to stay unsigned into training camp at the earliest. He's 36, and turns 37 in April. He's played all 16 games 4 times in his career, and not since 2012. He didn't play particularly well in his last extended game action. I don't think he's going to rush into training camp for a bad team, and there's no way a good team is going to want him unless they're panicking because a starter goes down a la 2016 Vikings. I'm thinking he waits to see if a good opportunity opens up and if it doesn't, either takes a back-up job with a contender so he can get a ring, retires, or stays unsigned going into the season in case a QB goes down.
Show
Chloroform girl, how have you been?
Don't let me catch you sleeping again
You're only alive because I like you
It's been three years since you've seen the sunlight
But I know you're having fun
Bound, gagged and chained up in my basement
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Post by PokerFace »

@Nero, why do you think Romo goes to Texans?

I'm not saying I think they are happy with Brock, I'm saying don't they have too much money invested there to be willing to spend even more on Romo.

Texans, Denver, and KC could make a Superbowl with Romo. Jets could make playoffs with Romo

Romo can't save any other team you list
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Post by T-Bone »

I think we're getting slightly carried away with all the Romo love. "Romo makes THIS team a Superbowl contender". Romo hasn't completed a full season in 5 years. Temper yourselves.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

other than health issues I still think he's a quality QB.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:30 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

My list in post #5 isn't in any order. I was just listing teams that are QB needy who might try to get Romo. I had actually forgotten about Osweller and that's why I think he'd pick the Texans if they came calling. If Big Ben does retire I think he'd go there. Poker is probs right that Romo won't go to the Texans since there's that HUGE Osweller contract. Denver or stying in Dallas seems like the most likely things.

Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:43 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

In post 16, T-Bone wrote:I think we're getting slightly carried away with all the Romo love. "Romo makes THIS team a Superbowl contender". Romo hasn't completed a full season in 5 years. Temper yourselves.
The only one I agree that could be a Super Bowl team with him is KC and that's after asking myself "In the off chance he'd be the starter, would the change really be enough to take them out of contention?" I answer no, so I agree. KC with Romo is a Super Bowl contender. Denver absolutely not. The Jets have a lot of changes to make before they're a playoff team. Romo alone doesn't do it. And the Texans need to change their whole offensive playbook. It doesn't even matter who is throwing the ball for them at this point.

I agree with Nero though. Romo is pretty solid when he's healthy.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:24 am

Post by T-Bone »

Superbowl contenders tend to already have quality QBs and won't need Romo. KC being one of them.

Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:48 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

^Yep.

So Victor Cruz got cut. I'm sure he gets signed by someone looking to add WR depth. Might not be leaving the division.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:47 am

Post by Nero Cain »

Denver lost some pieces but weren't there a ton of injuries on defense last year? I think with better QB play Denver could have atleast been back to the playoffs.

Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:32 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Yeah, they definitely had their fair share of injuries, but they weren't a real playoff caliber team anyway. They overperformed in the firs month and a half or so, but once the schedule got tougher, they just couldn't keep up. The QBs both played fine most weeks other than the kinds of mistakes you expect from a young QB. Some consistency in the running game would do more for their offense than an upgrade at QB would. They seem to really want Lynch to be their guy anyway, so signing Romo probably isn't as likely as we all think it is.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:33 am

Post by PokerFace »

Cruz was good before his injury. Then odell stepped in. Cruz is gonna need the right team and place to do well again. Jennings was also let go by giants. Jennings had been pretty bad past couple of years and not for health reasons. I think It will be harder for him to find a team

Redskins are fools if they don't pay up to keep kirk. Redskins missed playoffs last year, but not because of kirk. Run game was inconsistent and defense needed to make more stops. They may also want to get a new kicker. Dustin Hopkins missed a few too many. Had he made the one against the Bengals in overtime, they would have made playoffs

Bengals and Steelers probably need better kickers too. Boswell did alright when he did kick but Steelers went for 2 a lot so there must be something they don't like about Boswell

Return to “General Discussion”