AirBnBs vs hotels

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

AirBnBs vs hotels

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

So I know MafiaScum hosts a whole bunch of meets and that AirBnB is the method of lodging.

In April, I'm going to go on a vacation with the wife over to Utah, and I was going through hotels. My wife and I disagree about what we can live with to save a buck or two, and the thought came into my head to look into AirBnBs.

At first glance, they look awesome. There are a bunch that are affordable and they look clean. They have some rules, but they all look very reasonable. (No parties, no smoking, clean your dishes, etc.)

I'm sure many of you would suggest one if we are using one for a lengthy period, but we are actually traveling along the state and will be probably switching lodging options each night, so for this purpose, would you suggest against AirBnB? (I have checked to make sure they're OK with a one-night stay, as many require a certain amount of nights.)

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:08 am

Post by zoraster »

I use both, and it depends on what you want.

The biggest thing about airbnb is you can get a variety of things. Hotels, even the crappiest ones, offer a pretty standard experience: you check in, you get a room with a bathroom (at least here in the states), and you have a check out time. Airbnbs have a much more varied offering.

Some Airbnbs can actually offer some stuff that hotels rarely will. This past October, we stayed with a vintner and his wife in their guest cottage in napa. We drank their wine and ate their estate produced olive oil while chatting with them about their 120-year-old Zinfandel vines that's been in their family since then. Never would get that at a hotel, obviously.

But it's not always. We're staying in a private room in a person's house that's close to the plaza for a trip to Sonoma in a few weeks, which isn't that different from a Bed and Breakfast situation, really.

Some suggestions:
1. Exclude shared rooms. You're with your wife. Don't make her sleep on a pull out.
2. See how many and how recent reviews were. One risk with airbnbs is that they'll take forever to get back to you (if not instant book) or cancel. That risk is a LOT lower if you use someone who does this a lot.
3. Entire house is a good bet, but private rooms are often great IF they've set it up to be kind of private. As above, the more traffic they get, the more likely it is that they have a system down where you'll have your own little area rather than feel like you're couch surfing (albeit with a bed).

I like to use Airbnb in two situations: (1) where there's a lack of hotel rooms for the number of visitors (as above, wine country, for example) because hotel rates can often be absurd but condos and what not might be much more reasonable and (2) where I think I can get a more unique experience. That's a similar reason I tend to book small B&Bs and hotels when I'm a tourist in Europe.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:11 am

Post by zoraster »

oh, also pay attention to cancellation policies. Airbnb's ranges a lot.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:16 am

Post by chamber »

I'd personally go for the more streamlined hotel experience if checking in and out daily.
Taking a break from the site.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:22 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

LOL. You're right, Zor, and I have kept that in mind - I don't care if we have a studio (as that's what most hotels pretty much are), but I'm not going to live in a campground bunk-like setting, in the sense that we all have a single bed in a room with twelve people. That's just not going to work.

Also, I think we both come from more urban/really busy places and going to Utah and reading the AirBnBs, people sometimes go beyond. This one place I'm more excited about, she said that she left breakfast stuff and drinks in the fridge and has a bunch of tea and coffee, that I appreciate. Another place said that he has a dog and apologized that the puppy might get excited and come say hi to us, which is something I'd absolutely love.

It has a more homey feel than a hotel, which I think brings out more of the rural feel of Utah.
In post 3, chamber wrote:I'd personally go for the more streamlined hotel experience if checking in and out daily.
Why is that? The only thing I've noticed is some places have security deposits. If I was staying somewhere for a week, that would make a lot of sense. However, five $100 security deposits mean $500 out of my pocket now, and I don't want to do that.

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:32 am

Post by zoraster »

most hotels will let you book with a generous cancellation policy for slightly more a night.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:36 am

Post by chamber »

With a hotel you know what you are getting. With AirBnB you need to do a fair bit of research. Having to do it for every day of a trip is something I'd find daunting. Also actually getting the bookings for any given airBnB can be a pain. having to do, say, 7 sounds like a nightmare to me.
Taking a break from the site.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:39 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

Fair points. I'm the kind of person who doesn't find doing the research oh so daunting. Thing is, I've taken a look at one of my other towns and AirBnB can be quite scarce.

I'm sure we'll do a mixture during our trips.

Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Post by Katsuki »

Personally hotels are the way to go unless you happen to stumble upon a gem such as Zora's Napa experience, presuming that we're excluding roach-infested inns.

Budget is obviously key but presumably the wifey does not want to sleep in a hostel etc.

On an unrelated note, heard some amusing stories about iridescent bugs and 3ft+ long (excluding tail) rats today.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 8, Katsuki wrote:Personally hotels are the way to go unless you happen to stumble upon a gem such as Zora's Napa experience, presuming that we're excluding roach-infested inns.

Budget is obviously key but presumably the wifey does not want to sleep in a hostel etc.

On an unrelated note, heard some amusing stories about iridescent bugs and 3ft+ long (excluding tail) rats today.
I mean, this is something I can be
dead wrong
about, but the perception I've been getting from the pictures of both hotels and BnBs of similar prices is that the BnBs look cleaner (less likelihood for bugs). More than that, I see better reviews for BnBs - although I ask myself if there's more of a pressure to leave positive reviews on BnB. Those potential reasons could be:
- Those getting BnBs tend to meet the hosts, and it's more personal than someone just seeing the check in associate at the hotel.
- You feel like you're welcomed into their home and there's a feeling where you won't want to say something to be rude to them when they let you in. (Despite that it's still a business transaction.)
- When you're at a hotel, people tend not to leave reviews for a good experience, as opposed to wanting to leave a bad one when you've had a bad experience - whereas at a BnB, you may feel more likely to leave good reviews.

Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Post by Katsuki »

Obviously goes without saying do your research. I've stayed in cheap hotels before that give you this for your birthday, which you'd be hard-pressed to find even in 5-stars. You've pointed out the reason behind the possibility of the illusion behind BNBs seeming better so gl hf on finding what works for you.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 10, Katsuki wrote:Obviously goes without saying do your research. I've stayed in cheap hotels before that give you this for your birthday, which you'd be hard-pressed to find even in 5-stars. You've pointed out the reason behind the possibility of the illusion behind BNBs seeming better so gl hf on finding what works for you.
That's a really nice gift!

Yeah, I've done my research. The only minor negative was she only had one review, although it was a positive one.

I've also had a conversation with her and asked questions and I've had a good vibe, so I think gut feelings are good indicators.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Post by zoraster »

In post 8, Katsuki wrote:Personally hotels are the way to go unless you happen to stumble upon a gem such as Zora's Napa experience, presuming that we're excluding roach-infested inns.

Yeah, I mean you have to be kind of careful but it's not that hard depending on where and at what budget. If you're trying to find a place for $75 a night, you've got to be a lot more careful than a place that charges $250 (assuming both are priced appropriately).

If you're staying for longer periods of time, VRBO is also a good place to look.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 12, zoraster wrote:

Yeah, I mean you have to be kind of careful but it's not that hard depending on where and at what budget. If you're trying to find a place for $75 a night, you've got to be a lot more careful than a place that charges $250 (assuming both are priced appropriately).

If you're staying for longer periods of time, VRBO is also a good place to look.
That is a good website. A lot of this trip is miscommunicated between the wife and I. She wants to stay in the SLC area, and I thought we were going to drive to some of the national parks and maybe even Four Corners, but I think we're striking that out and spending more time in the area.

But thanks for reminding me about that website. I think we'll consider that for future trips.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Post by zoraster »

Do you guys like to hike? Might consider staying a few days in a place like Park Cities (~40 min drive), which is a major town but is cute and much closer to some easy mountain hiking (can even take gondolas up and such so you can hike at the best views). Also, mountain biking if you're into that, but I'm guessing no.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 14, zoraster wrote:Do you guys like to hike? Might consider staying a few days in a place like Park Cities (~40 min drive), which is a major town but is cute and much closer to some easy mountain hiking (can even take gondolas up and such so you can hike at the best views). Also, mountain biking if you're into that, but I'm guessing no.
My wife isn't as physically fit as I am, and I think it might bother her, but I think we can do some light hiking. Have you been to the area? I'll take a look to Park Cities! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Post by zoraster »

Oh wait. You said April? That's nto the best time for Park City, unfortunately. It'll still be ski season or right after and it'll be kinda muddy and quiet. If it was summer, I'd definitely recommend it.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 16, zoraster wrote:Oh wait. You said April? That's nto the best time for Park City, unfortunately. It'll still be ski season or right after and it'll be kinda muddy and quiet. If it was summer, I'd definitely recommend it.
Ah, I see. Yeah, we try to plan our trips to warmer climates in the spring. We kind of also realized after we booked the trip that Utah isn't as warm as I first thought.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:51 am

Post by zoraster »

Nope! Not at all. Or at least not SLC, which is at 4,300 feet in elevation. I wouldn't expect it to be frigid during the day or anything, but I wouldn't expect to be lounging around a pool either.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:53 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

Yep. And silly me, too. I never expected Colorado to be warm, but they're both about the same latitude. We were doing more researching and I think we'll be entering CO for a little bit too.

I'm starting to remember how much I love to travel.

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:55 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In general, I've found hotels to be cheaper where I'm traveling. Most of the time. There are rare exceptions. When I went to Norfolk, it was cheaper to crash in an AirBnB instead of a hotel, but the AirBnB was also in a pretty sketchy part of town.

It's all about what you're willing to put up with... when I'm going to see my parents, I appreciate the hotel experience. I also, if I'm renting an AirBnB, want complete privacy, so I only search for "entire home" options, which are more expensive. I think it's just weird to have a private room in a house where there are other people living there I don't know.
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:59 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 20, xRECKONERx wrote:In general, I've found hotels to be cheaper where I'm traveling. Most of the time. There are rare exceptions. When I went to Norfolk, it was cheaper to crash in an AirBnB instead of a hotel, but the AirBnB was also in a pretty sketchy part of town.

It's all about what you're willing to put up with... when I'm going to see my parents, I appreciate the hotel experience. I also, if I'm renting an AirBnB, want complete privacy, so I only search for "entire home" options, which are more expensive. I think it's just weird to have a private room in a house where there are other people living there I don't know.
Yeah, although it depends. I stayed at this one airbnb that technically wasn't "entire house" but it was its own bedroom with a private entrance that was locked off from the rest of the house that had its own little sitting room, bathroom, etc. We still used their backyard to sit and drink coffee and wine, but it wasn't really much different than a guest house except it was technically attached. (This one). That's the kind of thing I tend to look for.

We're doing a quick Sonoma trip for my wife's birthday in April and staying at a similar place (I hope!)
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:03 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 20, xRECKONERx wrote:In general, I've found hotels to be cheaper where I'm traveling. Most of the time. There are rare exceptions. When I went to Norfolk, it was cheaper to crash in an AirBnB instead of a hotel, but the AirBnB was also in a pretty sketchy part of town.
I've noticed it cheaper for AirBnB for a lot of parts. But Utah is a different part of the country than North Carolina. I've taken a look at New Jersey and hotels are much cheaper than AirBnB, so I think the general answer to this is, "It depends."
Dude, I totally feel you on this. We were looking at a place just today where the hotels are expensive and one of the AirBnBs was reasonably priced and we would have a private room, but in a shared house.

My first thought was, "Not optimal, but OK."

Then I started thinking about shared bathrooms, and it became kind of awkward.

Then I thought about how I don't think the bedrooms would be individually locked and I got worried about leaving our suitcase there, and I didn't like it.

And again, the bathrooms. It's just awkward to share bathrooms with people you don't know. I'm kind of weird, but I'm conservative about who I want smelling my poop after I go. (Don't tell me lysol/febreeze. It doesn't do jack shit.)

Preview Edit - Zor: That's actually a nice place.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:09 am

Post by zoraster »

Yeah it was. It looks like she's moved to just doing monthly rentals now though. And I think that'd be kind of weird because while a couple of days there was perfect, there was only a kettle and a coffee maker for food type things and you'd run into her a lot.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:19 am

Post by Katsuki »

That Sonoma property just showed up on an airBNB ad offsite...
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a