The ethics of deposing a tryant

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
James3
James3
Goon
James3
Goon
Goon

The ethics of deposing a tryant

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:18 am

Post by James3 »

Suppose that Communists had taken over your country, they now have full control of the government, and they are beginning a massive religious persecution (including rampant murder of priests and rape of nuns).

You're an influential general with a good chance of being able to stage a relatively low-casualty coup d'état. What do you do?

Now suppose that you've attempted this, but only managed to take control of half the country. The other half is firmly in the control of the Communists. Do you keep fighting until they're defeated?
I'm not confused, I just realize that you're a damn loon. - Shaziro to Accountant
The Bulge
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:24 am

Post by The Bulge »

(Asking for a friend)
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Post by Zulfy »

how do u feel about participation trophies
no investigation no right to speak
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Post by Clumsy »

In my opinion, First one yes definitely. To the second, yes definitely if there were people who were still opposed to the new communist leadership. If it were a (relative) handful of people, diplomacy might be better to just bring those people over. But if a substantial percentage were stuck there and didn't want to be? Yeah I'd keep fighting.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Isn't there already a movie of this? Red Dawn?

Yeah kill hose commie bastards.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Post by Shaziro »

I agree with Clumsy, but if this is aimed at defending Franco, you've also gotta defend nazi supporting and concentration camps. So.
James3
James3
Goon
James3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Post by James3 »

There's nothing wrong with accepting military aid from bad governments.

Nor is there anything wrong with jailing people for war crimes.
I'm not confused, I just realize that you're a damn loon. - Shaziro to Accountant
Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Post by Shaziro »

Ah yes. Political opponents are war criminals. And deserve concentration camps. Gross.
James3
James3
Goon
James3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Post by James3 »

Communists who murder priests and rape nuns, yes.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

Do they murder nuns as well?
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
James3
James3
Goon
James3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Post by James3 »

Yes
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

Would things change if I take over half the country but kept things the same?
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
James3
James3
Goon
James3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Post by James3 »

Why would you keep things the same?
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

Cause this hypothetical person wants power. Though they change things, less murder so that they increese country population to a high degree.
This is my life now

James3
James3
Goon
James3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Post by James3 »

This not-so-hypothetical person wanted to restore civilized order to his country. He had no prior political ambitions.
Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Post by Shaziro »

Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

It is civilized to their point of view, no deaths. And this general is a she.
This is my life now

Selynee
Selynee
Goon
Selynee
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:51 pm

Post by Selynee »

It depends on a few variables in this...hypothetical scenario:

1) Are those Communists "taking over" the country with or against the the will of the majority? Because in the former case, what that general is doing is taking military action against the legitimate leadership of the country.
2) If they don't have the majority's support, what is he/she going to do with the power once he/she have taken it back? Give it to the legitimate previous government or if not applicable organize free elections? Because if not, that hypothetical leader is deposing a tyrant to take his/her place.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Post by CooLDoG »

Okay man, I have told people I don't want you banned. And I don't want you to be banned for specific reasons, namely that I think we can all (you mostly) from a discourse about your opinions. Some pointers: being PC especially in GD and you will not technically break any rules... With that said, if you are banned, I would laugh a little.

Now, you are my enemy. you are everything that is wrong in this world, with this said let's move into my argument that counters you. It will be purely negative, for I don't have the energy to propose a counter advocacy; your position is so shit that it should be reject on its own right.

1) Religion is the opiate of the masses I agree. But, and a big but here, why should we force people at gun point to be atheists? Why? Think carefully, the answer to this question commits you to various theoretical positions!
2) There is no such thing as low causality. Something is either causal or it is not. X causes Y or X does not cause Y. Low causality means nothing. Did you mean impact? if so...
3) If I control half a country for a sound cause (note, not valid, get versed in terms here bud) then this is a fucking high causality event! HOLY SHIT. Yes, for a sound cause I fight on, but your cause is, to use the campy word, fucking deplorable.
after a wank.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Post by Accountant »

If you're going to say that you think Communism is bad and you're willing to shoot people to make them not be Communists, then I think you should stop pretending to be all humble and ambitionless and just straight up go ahead and launch a revolt and then take over the state as the new leader with your own ideals. Don't bother lying to people, just go ahead and say "I am right, you are all wrong and I will shoot you" rather than try to hide or pretend. Show some honesty and stand up for you beliefs.

If you're not willing to go to that length, then stay meek and quiet and let the Communists go on killing priests and raping nuns.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
James3
James3
Goon
James3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Post by James3 »

In post 17, Selynee wrote:It depends on a few variables in this...hypothetical scenario:

1) Are those Communists "taking over" the country with or against the the will of the majority? Because in the former case, what that general is doing is taking military action against the legitimate leadership of the country.
2) If they don't have the majority's support, what is he/she going to do with the power once he/she have taken it back? Give it to the legitimate previous government or if not applicable organize free elections? Because if not, that hypothetical leader is deposing a tyrant to take his/her place.
They were elected.

Why on Earth would someone who deposed a tyrant who obtained power in a certain way, deliberately recreate the conditions for them to regain power?
In post 19, Accountant wrote:If you're going to say that you think Communism is bad and you're willing to shoot people to make them not be Communists, then I think you should stop pretending to be all humble and ambitionless and just straight up go ahead and launch a revolt and then take over the state as the new leader with your own ideals. Don't bother lying to people, just go ahead and say "I am right, you are all wrong and I will shoot you" rather than try to hide or pretend. Show some honesty and stand up for you beliefs.

If you're not willing to go to that length, then stay meek and quiet and let the Communists go on killing priests and raping nuns.
By "no prior ambitions", I meant he had not previously attempted to acquire power.

Return to “General Discussion”