UK Pol - #independenceday

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:33 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 45, mykonian wrote:
In post 25, Porochaz wrote:before an independent Scotland had a few things going for it, namely EU and oil. Since we don't/wouldn't have either it would be insanity to leave.
Mind explaining this one to me? I don't think I quite understand.
Indyref1's main argument for independence was "Scotland has oil". Soon after the referendum the oil industry in Scotland absolutely collapsed. Depending where you read, people within the EU have stated Scotland would not be in a financial state to join the EU, but what is known is that if we were to rejoin the EU after independence we would be placed at the back of the queue (which is fair) so it could be years before we rejoin. Spain has already stated they would block fasttracking us.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:34 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 47, Mac wrote:I don't live in Aberdeen, I live in the sticks, it's just easier to say Aberdeen here lol. I do work there though!
Living in the 'shire as well there would be a lib dem candidate, but considering you are entering Alex Salmond/other SNP stronghold territory, you might struggle.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:40 am

Post by zoraster »

I cannot speak to this list's accuracy but I provide it merely as-is: http://e.infogr.am/stop_the_tories-0
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 am

Post by Porochaz »

I look forward to the stop the SNP list...
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Post by Max »

Given that the lib Dems have ruled out coalition with labour, it means voting lib dem is only worthwhile in Tory/Lib Dem marginals. Odd. (Assuming opposition to the tories).
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:49 pm

Post by zoraster »

Push comes to shove, the chance of them rejecting coalition with Labour is basically zero. It's just something they say.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 50, Porochaz wrote:
In post 45, mykonian wrote:
In post 25, Porochaz wrote:before an independent Scotland had a few things going for it, namely EU and oil. Since we don't/wouldn't have either it would be insanity to leave.
Mind explaining this one to me? I don't think I quite understand.
Indyref1's main argument for independence was "Scotland has oil". Soon after the referendum the oil industry in Scotland absolutely collapsed. Depending where you read, people within the EU have stated Scotland would not be in a financial state to join the EU, but what is known is that if we were to rejoin the EU after independence we would be placed at the back of the queue (which is fair) so it could be years before we rejoin. Spain has already stated they would block fasttracking us.
Ah, gotcha. I found the news that you refer to, where profits got decimated, taxes on those profits as a results, because of the recent lower oil prices. Still, the moment Scotland went independent, it'd have a reasonable claim on quite a few of the oil and gas fields in the North Sea, given that was devided amongst the nations by their coast line. It's just that oil is fickle. I don't know how long it'd take for your claims to get ratified, I'd be more worried about that than the shifting oil price.

As for rejoining the EU, you must be satisfying most of the requirements already, there's no period where you have to implement EU laws and regulations, etc. Even if you weren't to get preference treatment because of some geopolitics between Europe and the UK, it shouldn't be too lengthy a process.

But you are right, it'll always be a time of insecurity, just as with brexit now. Just in that case, Scotland would have to do it on it's own, and Scotland is quite small.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Literally the only acceptable vote is 'whichever party is likeliest to keep the Tories or UKIP out of this constituency'. Remainers and progressives MUST hold their noses and do this. There has to be broad opposition to May and hard Brexit that gets other parties working together. I don't want to vote for this Labour party but you bet your arse I will do as the main rivals to the Tory incumbent here.
#greenshirtthursdays
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:20 am

Post by Porochaz »

It's more difficult than that. For Scotland at least. If we don't want another indyref then we have to consider that first before the tories. We're already leaving the EU, I don't particularly want to risk leaving you guys as well. (also SNP votes in the general election really don't help keep the Tories out)
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:42 am

Post by Max »

You're right in so far as Scotland has never made a difference in a general election. But I think in terms of another IndyRef, this election makes it a done deal. Without this GE May can argue that national unity is more important and so it would have to come in the 2020s. Whereas her argument against a Scottish referendum is shot, because she's holding an early election (despite "now not being the time". The SNP therefore have a case for an IndyRef even if they lose some seats.

The SNP would need to absolutely collapse this election for Sturgeon to not be pushing forward.

We discussed this at UK meet. (I think IndyRef2 will end with the same result barring some kind of crisis)

It's my constituencies emergency party meeting tonight. We're a swing seat, we're hoping the lovely man who stood last time will be able to do it all again. My current MP is a vile piece of work and we're hoping to overturn a 100 vote majority, we have word there won't be greens standing this time who got a couple of hundred votes in 2015.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:46 am

Post by zoraster »

Poro, Is your constituency likely to elect a Tory though? If not, you can make whatever decision you think best.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:05 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 59, Max wrote:We discussed this at UK meet. (I think IndyRef2 will end with the same result barring some kind of crisis)
I heard later that I missed you 3 talking about this. Wouldve been wonderful to hear your thoughts about it in a real conversation.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:39 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 60, zoraster wrote:Poro, Is your constituency likely to elect a Tory though? If not, you can make whatever decision you think best.
They were 3rd, about 1900 votes behind the incumbent Labour and the SNP (who won it). In all honesty I don't see any SNP seats being turned. The exhaustion over independence might make it more marginal for the SNP, but considering they were 8,000 votes ahead of Labour with 20,000, I don't see that big a turn-around. My posting is coming from frustration more than anything. I feel like I am being put up for ransom. My vote probably ultimately means very little. But for me it feels like a choice between Hard Brexit/Indyref2/Using my ballot to wipe my arse. As I said before as ineffectual as they are Labour will keep getting my vote. I don't feel comfortable voting elsewhere.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 am

Post by Davsto »

Spoilt ballot if you honestly feel like you can't choose. Not a vote as such but still is counted and shows unhappiness with the state of things. It'd be better if you voted for someone but it's preferable to not turning up at all
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Post by Max »

Interesting feedback from today. Nearby Blackburn is being treated as an "important seat", currently held on a 4,000 vote margin. Campaigning in such seats implies that Labour thinks it has to fight anything with a margin smaller than that. (N.B.: Blackburn has a history of BNP voting, so maybe there's fear the post-Brexit push might influence things.)

Currently there's a big question mark over whether last elections local candidate will stand again this time (any candidate from 2015 is allowed to stand if they so wish). He's a super great guy, though he is a "centrist" candidate.

Side note: Greater Manchester was already campaigning for the new Manchester Mayor position, and the by-election in Gorton. (Edit: so while we don't know our prospective parliamentary candidate we have been getting the vote out for Andy)
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

In post 64, Max wrote:Interesting feedback from today. Nearby Blackburn is being treated as an "important seat", currently held on a 4,000 vote margin. Campaigning in such seats implies that Labour thinks it has to fight anything with a margin smaller than that. (N.B.: Blackburn has a history of BNP voting, so maybe there's fear the post-Brexit push might influence things.)
do labour have the seat currently?
also lol BNP

criminal investigation into voter fraud by the Tories in Farage's seat in the last election could be a spanner in the works though
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed May 03, 2017 10:36 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

oh dear
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Wed May 03, 2017 10:47 am

Post by zoraster »

?
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed May 03, 2017 11:13 am

Post by Drench »

is this about abbott
join your union
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed May 03, 2017 11:25 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

It's about strong and stable leadership
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed May 03, 2017 3:11 pm

Post by Max »

This has been a very dull election. I sort of wish we had a sex scandal.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 2:29 am

Post by AniX »

There is still time for one of the Royals to die.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 2:42 am

Post by AniX »

I took Bella's quiz and I'm, unsurprisingly, pretty deep Sinn Féin.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 5:18 am

Post by Max »

A royal dying would probably be good for the conservatives, unfortunately. But Theresa May weeing on somebody or something would really liven up the campaign.

But it's local elections today. And I need to go and vote.
Mac
Mac
Mafia Scum
Mac
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 5:30 am

Post by Mac »

I don't think I've had a single leaflet through my door for the council elections. Although one of the candidates was kicked from the SNP party for refusing to bow to their demands about the community I think so he'll probably get my vote.

Return to “General Discussion”