Quick Health Question

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Quick Health Question

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

So I've had chest pain somewhat regularly since I was 16 (I'm 27 now). When I was younger, it would fade in and out for about five minutes and be done and it was usually when I ate greasy food. I thought maybe heart burn or something, no big deal. Since then I've heard everything from "it's probably from anxiety" to "chest pain is serious. Always get it checked out". I've never had it checked out and have been fine.

Over the last year or two, it's gone from maybe once a month or two to now just about every day. And now instead of fading in and out, it will be really bad for anywhere between a few minutes to like half an hour. But again, it goes away.

My question:
Right now it's like it's never been before. I can't stand to lie down and even sitting is rough so I'm walking around. It's more persistent and is above my heart and in the middle of my chest instead of right where my heart is like usual. And it's spreading to my back. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who hears of symptoms for something and goes "omg that's me". But this really doesn't feel good at all.

My phone is staying in my pocket in case I like fall over or something but it's still possible it's like nothing at all. I'm alone with my kids right now so it's not like I can go to a hospital or anything and I don't want to be laughed at if it's nothing anyway. My mom will be here to babysit in an hour or so because I have playoffs for my kickball league tonight. But if I go after that, she has to babysit longer which I don't want to put her through.

And now I'm sweating a lot and it's only 76 degrees in my house and AC is running.

Anyone have an idea what this might be? Hopefully nothing and you'll all come in like "oh yeah that's happened to me before. scary at first but no big deal" or something and I can go "ok I'm an idiot" and lock the thread.

Also want to mention I woke up with a sore throat and have felt like I have a cold all day. And have done quite a bit physically on not much sleep for the last week. Oh, and the chest thing is going on about an hour now.

Maybe I just need rest? I'll get that chance next weekend.

Actually it's getting better since I started typing.

If it starts again, is ibuprofen a horrible idea?
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:17 am

Post by Bins »

I'm of the firm belief that you should not ask MS and instead go see a doctor if you have chest pain. I know MattP is Dr. Feel Good, but even he isn't going to be able to examine you like a doctor in person can.

Chances are if you aren't feeling okay, it's best not to just ignore it. No one is going to come in here and be like "I've had this nbd" or "kmd ur a real dummy its ok".

Chest pain is something you should get checked out. Yes.
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:25 am

Post by chamber »

This is a go to the doctor level thing. I don't know if its actually serious, but things that are getting worse not better need to be dealt with.
Taking a break from the site.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

It actually kind of stopped all at once.

*shrug*
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:30 am

Post by chamber »

It's been getting worse for 11 years.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 am

Post by chamber »

Like if you don't want to go to the ER, at least schedule something with your GP.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

At the very least you should make an appointment and get that checked out if you can. I've had something that was pretty much just an annoyance for a couple years and I kept putting it off and not wanting to bother them for something minor, but I was glad I eventually did and found out because I got information that lets me act in a way to heavily mitigate it, but also just having that peace of mind is huge instead of constantly wondering.
deranged and incoherent
?
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 am

Post by Bins »

It may even be as simple as indigestion problems but still... going to the doctor will help that.
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 1, Bins wrote:I know MattP is Dr. Feel Good, but even he isn't going to be able to examine you like a doctor in person can.
i dont want to speak for matty but if he read this post i'd think he'd tell kmd to go to a doctor
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 am

Post by Vi »

This is what could be called "ignoring blatant warnings". It's what people do for a while before really bad things happen "out of nowhere".

Go to the doctor. It doesn't have to be urgent care if you feel better right now, but go to the doctor and get them to move you through figuring out what's going on. If your experience is like mine it'll take like weeks to get an appointment, so make that NOW because there's a dawdle delay built in already.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Post by MattP »

Its impossible to know without more info and tests but this sounds like a GI problem, possibly GERD or gallstones. Chest pain can be an emergency, you need to see a doctor to be properly tested.
SlappyKrust
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Post by MattP »

You should go see a doctor but in the meantime if you cant make an immediate appointment:
If you ever wake up with a metallic taste in your mouth thats a sign that it is GERD
Chest pain after greasy meals could just be an atypical gallstones presentation (it would usually be in your upper abdomen but it could be felt as chest pain). Next time you get it, try doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7N89sOSuc

___

If youve been having this pain sporadically since 16 the chances are this isnt so serious you need to go to an emergency department. The most likely diagnosis is GERD, followed by gallstones especially given the history of the presentation. However, if it is gallstones that can become a medical emergency and you need to see a doctor.
SlappyKrust
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Post by MattP »

Sorry for the million messages, but chest pain that radiates to your back could also be a sign of a way more serious issue like aortic dissection, which is incredibly uncommon in people your age but could happen if you have a genetic abnormality like marfans syndrome. But again if this has been going on since 16, it sounds way more GI. But go to a doctor don't be stupid
SlappyKrust
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Post by MattP »

In post 0, Kmd4390 wrote:If it starts again, is ibuprofen a horrible idea?
If its GERD ibuprofen will make it worse. Protonix will help GERD. Its now over the counter.

You also having a sore throat could be caused by GERD. That metallic taste in your mouth, if you get it, is stomach acid going up into your mouth and it can irritate your throat causing soreness. It can also cause a hoarse voice.
SlappyKrust
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Post by Psyche »

wow mattp ur like an actual person
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Thanks for the info, Matt. I really appreciate it and will definitely look it over tomorrow.
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:07 am

Post by MattP »

In post 14, Psyche wrote:wow mattp ur like an actual person
I just don't think that comes across well over Internet bc I overedit my posts but yeah I'm a real person I guess ty for just realizing that
SlappyKrust
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:07 am

Post by MattP »

In post 15, Kmd4390 wrote:Thanks for the info, Matt. I really appreciate it and will definitely look it over tomorrow.
Np
SlappyKrust
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Ok..so

-the metallic taste isn't anything I've ever noticed. After you point it out, uhhh maybe? I dunno. It's subtle if it's there and it might only seem like it because I'm looking for it.

-I'll keep the thing in the youtube video in mind, but I'm a little fuzzy on what it means if that's painful or if it's not. Would you mind elaborating on that for me?

-I don't really have a bad family history on much of anything. High blood pressure and alzheimer's but nothing with this kind of stuff that I know of.

-I don't think the sore throat is related. I definitely have a cold of some sort which might even be what made this feel worse than normal yesterday. Everything always seems worse while I'm sick.

-I'll look into protonix. I'm usually not one for medication, but if it's over the counter it's probably not a big deal. What are possible side effects or anything negative at all with it? Are antacids something I should be considering?

-I didn't mention that I get really bad ... what I assume is acid reflux? It's like I'm vomitting, but it stops at my throat. Once in a great while, it leaves a bad burning sensation or leads to coughing fits but it's usually a minor inconvenience if not for the fact that it's any time I eat or drink anything including simple things like water and bread. Coughing fits are also nothing unusual for me especially around cigarette smoke (yeah, 16 hour days working in a state prison in a locked building where most of 60 convicts are chain smokers sucks), but when it's from the acid reflux (or whatever it is) it's different.

I also googled GERD, which I'd never heard of, and it sounds more common and possibly easier to manage than I'd imagined. So if it's that maybe it's not that big a deal?

Again, I really appreciate the info you've already given me. I have never heard some of it before so even with it not being an official diagnosis or anything because you've never actually seen me, it's great to have some possibilities of what this could be. Like Raskolnikov said, the whole wondering what the hell is going on thing sucks and the more info I've got, the easier it is to deal with.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:51 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

I couldn't find that protonix. I saw antacids but they say on the back don't use them if symptoms persist for more than 2 weeks so I didn't buy them

Return to “General Discussion”