Fiction Rumble II - Week 26 (Current Champion: Zaphkael)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Post by Formerfish »

ego
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Post by kuribo »

Data Mayhem, 1423 Words

Spoiler:
“Code: BYPLAY, Priority Alpha, BRI 1100. INV/????”

The moment this message had arrived in my encrypted channel, I knew something seriously unprecedented was happening. An urgent request for a face-to-face meeting was almost unheard of among members of Mayhem 5, the protocol reserved only for the most dire of circumstances. Invictus--- the ranking member of Mayhem 5--- would be meeting me under the Fourth Avenue overpass at 1:00PM with another member whose identity I would not know.

I walked alone. The overpass wasn’t in a terrible neighborhood, at least not as far as Neo Holbrook is concerned. The slums had been pushed further to the outskirts of the city over the past few decades and the private police force had done a more than efficient job in removing the “undesirables.” Everything shiny, new, clean. Corporate. Everything Mayhem 5 stood against. The Fourth Avenue overpass was one of several places that didn’t have 24-hour surveillance.

When I arrived at the meeting site, a man in his early-to-mid twenties was slowly using a scanner to sweep the area under the bridge for listening devices. He motioned to me not to speak, and scanned across my person several times. This was Invictus. A second man in a hoodie and sunglasses was nervously smoking a cigarette. He was younger than Invictus, probably a teenager. I waited until Invictus gave me the all-clear to speak. When he was satisfied that I wasn’t compromised, he addressed me by my handle.

“Alright, Whisper, this is Chillain,” Invictus said, indicating the shaky smoker. “Chillain is in some deep shit right now. Three hours ago, we got an early warning that Warrant Enforcement Services had papers on Chillain.”

“Shit,” I said, “What’s the charge?”

“Four counts of illegal trespass into GenTech systems, two hundred thirty-five counts of Grand Data Theft,” said Invictus.

“Jesus, dude,” I said, “What did you steal?”

“I didn’t steal anything,” said Chillain. “I don’t know how my name even got into any of this.”

“Someone
allegedly
hacked into the GenTech mainframe two days ago,” said Invictus. They took the genetic data of over two-hundred GenTech customers, along with proprietary government beta software. This stuff is worth millions to the right buyers.”

Invictus sighed, then looked at Chillain. I looked too. Chillain was obviously afraid, and who could blame him? Charges like that, the government isn’t going to negotiate in sentencing. This is life imprisonment territory.

“I don’t think it was him,” said Invictus. “I mean, I’ve known Chillain since grade school. He’s got the hacktivist spirit. He’s been down in the trenches with us since day one, and I know if he’d had access to that system, he’d have destroyed the data instead of stealing it.”

Chillain spoke up. “Material gain isn’t my thing, man. I want to bring down the system, not profit off it’s back.”

I looked at Chillain, searching what I could see of his face. I instantly knew I believed him, and what’s more, Invictus was vouching for him. Invictus was usually an excellent judge of character.

“So you think---” I started.

“He was framed,” said Invictus.

“Who? How?”

“Probably those corporate sons-of-bitches at the Digital Cowboys,” said Chillain. “DC had a bounty on me after I took down their cyberwall at the Department of Redistribution.” He was bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet while he lit another cigarette.

I gagged slightly at the mention of the Digital Cowboys. Big business’ mercenaries, these hired keyboard warriors were the opposite of everything Mayhem 5 took pride in. I knew Invictus had a particular distaste for the group, as most of us did.

“Somehow they managed to attach Chillain’s digital signature to the attack on GenTech,” said Invictus. “If the hack even happened at all. I’ve heard rumors of the data turning up on secure auctions, but nothing concrete.”

“It’s bullshit,” said Chillain, pacing nervously a bit. “If I had millions of dollars coming to me, I wouldn’t be chain-smoking under an overpass.”

“So if Warrant Enforcement is after him, what am I doing here?” I asked.

“Well,” said Invictus, “W.E.S. doesn’t seem to have his physical name yet. The warrant is under his handle, which tells me that the feds don’t know who he is. Or where he is.”

“Right, but they must be close if they’re issuing a warrant,” I said.

“Exactly. They wouldn’t have put out a warrant if they didn’t think they could tie him to a physical name and address within forty-eight hours or so.”

“So we’re hiding him.”

“That’s where you come in, Whisper,” said Invictus. “We can’t let the government or the DC find him. In all likelihood, DC carried out the hack themselves. If a high-ranking member of Mayhem 5 gets arrested on charges like this? Shit, it’s the end of the line. We can’t carry out rebellious operations with our guys getting arrested for selling consumer data. He goes to prison, Mayhem 5 is done for, and all the good work we’ve done. Public opinion, media favor, all of it just vanishes in one warrant sweep.”

I exhaled deeply. I had considered, of course, that hiding a fugitive member was the reason I had been asked to this meeting. I’d done it twice before--- and successfully at that--- seeing as the government hadn’t found either of them to this day. But nothing on the level of a warrant for so serious a crime.

“I think it can be done,” I said, hesitating a bit. “We’ll have to act fast. There are safehouses, right here in the city. I can place you in one under an assumed name until we can get you out of town. I’ll use my back-doors at the Department of Identification to get you paperwork. By the time they serve that warrant, you’ll be a thousand miles away.”

Chillain just nodded. Given the choice between death and starting a new life, most people wouldn’t hesitate to take the latter. That doesn’t mean it’s an easy thing to do.

Invictus smiled wide. “That’s what I’m talking about. See, Chillain, this girl here, she’s got the power.”

I smiled back. “It’s what I do.”

I turned back toward Chillain. “Alright, you’re going to head to a safe-house on the corner of Cross Street and Byre. I’m going to need your physical name. Once I get home, I’ll go into the Department of Identification and change your status to deceased. I’ll contact you with a new name and within forty-eight hours, you’ll have all the paperwork you need to stay out of prison.”

“Thank you so much,” said Chillain. “God, I owe you my life.”

“Defending the innocent is what we do,” I said.

Later that night, I sat at my computer, tying up some loose ends. On the television to my left, a news bulletin caught my attention.

“Good evening everyone, today is July 1, 2125. Our top story tonight: Police have informed us that an arrest has just been made in the recent GenTech security breach. Dozens of consumers had their genetic data compromised, and multiple cutting-edge government projects were stolen as well. Police have identified the suspect in custody as Adam Layton, a nineteen-year-old hacker who called himself ‘Chillain.’ Police allege Mr. Layton is a known member of the hacker group Mayhem 5, who...”

My attention turned back to my computer. An encrypted message awaited me.

“DC Charade- Thank you for your help in recent matters. The Cowboys look forward to working with you in the future. Welcome to the rodeo, Whisper.”

I smiled, but it was nothing compared to the smile on my face when I received the next series of messages.

“Blackweb Market- Your auction of GT40663-032.dat was successful. The Winning Bid of $863,021.44 has been transferred to your account ending in X206 at SWISS SAVINGS AND TRUST.”

“Blackweb Market- Your auction of GT3353-221.dat was successful. The Winning Bid of $243,217.22 has been transferred to your account ending in X667 at FIN NATIONAL.”

“Blackweb Market- Your auction of GT3211-20.dat was successful. The Winning Bid of $114,566.20 has been transferred to your account ending in X521 at CA FIRST.”

I sat back in my chair, the messages continuing to come in, one after another--- Two hundred thirty-five, to be exact. Each auction closing in its turn, each for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Although Invictus was probably infuriated that his dream of a hacktivist revolution had died today, I had to admit he was right about one thing. I was the one with the power.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:40 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Spoiler: Creature
I can definitely tell you had to pare this one down to hit the wordcount limit. It had the effect of some of the plot elements seeming kinda random-- for instance, I'd have loved to see some hints beforehand about Alan Howard, or about the skull, and it seems like their entire plan pretty much fell into place without them really having to do much.

Wordcount-limited issues aside, the plot itself is solid, and your writing style definitely helps to keep the reader engaged. Not my favorite story from you, but not by any means a bad one.

Spoiler: student
I'm a sucker for motifs :P I don't know if Zuck is really a fan of classical music or if you made that up, but either way, it was well executed. It reminds me of how music is used in A Clockwork Orange.

Similar to what I said for Creature, I like plot twists that were hinted at somehow in the story-- ideally so the reader doesn't see them coming but understands it after the fact. I do like that it was emphasized how Zuck won the trial through money and connections despite his very weak evidence, because at the very least that makes it easy to believe that he was actually guilty. A lot of the description here was well done, particularly of how calm he was the whole time and how horrified his office staff was.

Spoiler: kuribo
I like this world. It's a pretty standard dystopian world, but you did a good job of establishing the setting and the conflict, as well as a lot of the background needed to understand it, quickly. I love the character of Chillain, too-- he's a talented and eager kid who got caught up in some mess beyond his control. One thing that confuses me, though, is that he's apparently a "high-ranking member," which doesn't seem to square with the description of him as a unsuspecting newbie being used as a scapegoat.

The ending was actually a little unsatisfying, too. Like I said with the other two, there didn't seem to be any indication that the narrator might betray them, especially a double betrayal such as this-- why would she work for the mercenary Cowboys when she just got rich off of the black market? Satisfying or not, though, the twist was well-executed, and I do like how she asked for his name and gave a plausible excuse for why she wanted it.

Spoiler: The Winner
student wins.
All three stories had a lot of good setup-- Creature's explained the situation, the plan, and details on why it worked; student's established exactly how smug and unconcerned Zuck was; and kuribo's created a world, a likeable victim, and a sense of urgency.

Of the three, though, I think student's best connected the setup to the plot and the resolution. Creature's plot had a lot of moving parts, between Kane somehow escaping and the skull swap bamboozle, it really wasn't possible to know what was going on until it was all over. Kuribo's plot was a backstab from someone who clearly had the means but had no discernible motive, meaning it was neither surprising that she was able to pull it off, nor interesting to finally understand why she did it. Student's also carried a random curveball, but it was better-established by the story-- he was going to divorce her, he had a weird and weak alibi, there was a video that he assumed was doctored, the lie detector, and then the reaction of his staff at the end.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:00 am

Post by kuribo »

Generally I don't agree with explaining one's own story after the fact. I believe the story should stand on its own feet, and any failure to understand should be seen as a failure on the part of the writer. So I guess I can call this more of a self-critique. When I read the prompt, I decided early on to make the story from the perspective of the unreliable narrator. I did drop very subtle hints, but I realized that maybe they had been too subtle. For example, Whisper mentions Invictus "usually" being a good judge of character. (He hasn't misjudged Chillain, but Whisper herself) She mentions the Cowboys and how "most of us" hate them.

Her motivation isn't necessarily made clear as you said, a failing on my part to work with the unreliable narrator. I missed a perfect opportunity to explain Whisper's motives because the story was written through her inner monologue. A little very basic character establishment would have taken this a long way, and I probably could have done it more reliably if I'd added a single paragraph.

All in all, a very basic element of a plot twist is that the reader shouldn't feel that the twist came out of nowhere. A portion of your readers should figure out the twist part way through, or at least suspect it's coming. I could have done a bit more basic housekeeping storywise that would have improved the story.

I like Fiction Rumble, by the way, it provides me an excellent opportunity to experiment with themes and techniques I wouldn't necessarily explore otherwise.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:07 am

Post by Creature »

I'm mostly proud of fitting a big plot within 1500 words and I don't think I struggled a lot with word cuts although I could use a few more words. Prompt was kinda hard and I wanted to write something that wouldn't bore the readers.
Sigh
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:10 am

Yeah, Fiction Rumble is awesome! :]

And I'm definitely in agreement that a story should stand on its own. I didn't really interpret Whisper as an unreliable narrator, even at the end, because she knew exactly what was going on. I think the "usually" and "most" linguistic cues were far too subtle because that can easily just be the style of the narrator (or the author) to avoid absolute statements.

Just out of curiosity, did you have a deeper motive for her in mind, or was it just greed?

Pedit: @kuribo
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:12 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 179, Creature wrote:I'm mostly proud of fitting a big plot within 1500 words and I don't think I struggled a lot with word cuts although I could use a few more words. Prompt was kinda hard and I wanted to write something that wouldn't bore the readers.

I liked your setting and the plot a lot, but I felt you had to rush through the story beats in order to get where you wanted within the count. It would have benefitted from a slow-burn marinade.

If this story, or this setting, were expanded into a 7000 word short story or even a 15000 word novella, I'd read it.

Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:14 am

In post 179, Creature wrote:I'm mostly proud of fitting a big plot within 1500 words and I don't think I struggled a lot with word cuts although I could use a few more words. Prompt was kinda hard and I wanted to write something that wouldn't bore the readers.
Yeah you did a good job of keeping the plot intact. I definitely think with more words you could have set some of the plot elements up better.

Sorry if you disliked the prompt, by the way-- I did a couple of vague ones before but most of the prompts in the previous thread were quite specific and the results were still interesting. I wanted to give a more specific one a try. I think it worked out well.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:15 am

Post by Creature »

In post 181, kuribo wrote:If this story, or this setting, were expanded into a 7000 word short story or even a 15000 word novella, I'd read it.
I could do it after I'm done writing a 15000-18000 words novella and if I have time before NaNoWriMo. I'm trying bigger word counts.
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:15 am

Post by Creature »

In post 182, Something_Smart wrote:Sorry if you disliked the prompt, by the way
Not really, your prompts initially make me unable to think of something but when I do I find it amazing.
Sigh
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:17 am

I personally like the shorter word counts because writing a longer story is a ton of effort (and not just physically coming up with more things to say-- the plot, setting and characters all have to be deeper and more involved). But I suppose maybe we should start setting the word limit higher because anyone who wants to go shorter is free to but it allows people like Creature to make good use of the extra words.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:19 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 180, Something_Smart wrote:Yeah, Fiction Rumble is awesome! :]

And I'm definitely in agreement that a story should stand on its own. I didn't really interpret Whisper as an unreliable narrator, even at the end, because she knew exactly what was going on. I think the "usually" and "most" linguistic cues were far too subtle because that can easily just be the style of the narrator (or the author) to avoid absolute statements.

Just out of curiosity, did you have a deeper motive for her in mind, or was it just greed?

Pedit: @kuribo
Well the unreliable narrator means more that the POV character is omitting knowledge from, or even lying outright to, the reader. Think Gone Girl or Odd Thomas as opposed to Fight Club.

Greed in terms of her stealing the money. I could have established that she was poor and tired of struggling financially without harming the story itself. As for betraying her friends, anti-corporate hacktivsm doesn't lend itself to a life of wealth. Her friends would have distrusted her knowing she'd used her skills for personal gain, as evidenced by Chillain's comment about why he wouldn't have done it. She needed a fall guy to avoid the police investigation and she knew that her group would come to her to hide one of their own. She had no intention of hiding him, obviously. This scandal would, in her mind, tarnish Mayhem forever and end its hope of doing havktivist work. The remaining members, ones whose real identities she doesn't know, would be looking for her, even with a new identity, and so she cast her lot with their rivals for her own protection. After all, they're pro-corporate mercenaries and she's exceedingly wealthy.

student
student
Watcher
student
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:15 am

Post by student »

hello!!! wow thanks!
I really liked everyone's story this week :]

@kuribo - I felt the same way as SS in the end. I think "I gagged slightly at the mention of the Digital Cowboys. Big business’ mercenaries, these hired keyboard warriors were the opposite of everything Mayhem 5 took pride in." this was the line that threw me off since I was surprised that Whispter collabed with DC after disliking them!
student
student
Watcher
student
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:30 am

Post by student »

The Prompt:

An Ordinary Person or Event

750 words or less (hope its not too draconian)

Deadline: (expired on 2019-10-14 13:00:00)
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:35 am

I'm okay with 750, but if other people would like it increased I wouldn't be opposed.

Also the deadlines have usually been 14 days, not 10. I think there weren't enough submissions with the shorter deadlines.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:10 am

Post by Creature »

I'm fine with the deadline being shorter. 750 words isn't much of a task. Also, I think it will allow one more deadline before NaNoWriMo.

EDIT: You can keep 750 too, sounds fun.
Sigh
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:30 am

Post by Formerfish »

Im not good at naming things and havent been writing long enough to know how to. So here:

FF's Story
712 words

Spoiler:
Any decision needing to be made has a period of time built in directly before it; where you weigh the pros and cons of each potential pathway. The time frame can vary depending on the choice about to be made, whether it large or small, and the person making it. There are some who have to look at every single angle to find the best and safest choice to make. Others are more willing to throw caution to the wind and make knee jerk reactions in moments of true spontaneity.

I have never been one to act rashly or impulsively, it's something that was ingrained in me from a very young age. It didn't matter how much I had thought something through my Dad would always find a way for it to go wrong that I had never seen coming. Going back as far as I can remember I was engaged in a battle of wits and intelligence to out think my father who was thirty years my senior. Each time we sparred in our mock battles I would erroneously believe that this was the time that I would best him. This would finally be the time where I have thought about every situation possible and have made plans and sub-plans and sub-sub-plans for each eventuality. Unfortunately that was a childlike fantasy that would never come to pass.

One thing I never realized growing up is that I would come to miss those skirmishes when he was gone. It wasn’t until I had my own child that I would truly understand what he was doing and why he did it. He knew that the world is a complex place and that if you walked through it with rose tinted glasses thinking that everything will work out the way you want it to, then you are never going to see the red flags for what they are because all flags look red to you.

My problem is that I went to far in the other direction. I spend so much of my time thinking about anything that could possibly happen and how I would react. Caution doesn't sound like it could ever be a bad thing, but when it turns into an inability to act it can be quite detrimental. There are some things that require a good deal of thought before coming to a final decision. Say you were looking for a new car, you would be crazy not to look into different models and years and makers and options and safety recommendations and a million other factors. Taking that same intensity and transferring it to a more mundane situation like what to have for dinner is going to cause more problems than it would solve.

All of this is leading to where I am right now. In a parking spot. Sitting in my car after 2 days at home debating with a ghost and forcing myself to circumvent any potential stumbling blocks that might be put in my way. My hand hovers near the keys. I have one more chance to change my mind and leave. No one would ever think twice about someone parking and then leaving a few minutes later.

No. I need to do this. I have been spending so much time stuck inside my head on this one I just need to be a little more reckless.

I turn the key and the motor dies with a sputter. I unbuckle the seat belt I am of course wearing and exit my vehicle. Walking unsteadily on shaky legs I make my way to the door, grabbing the handle with purpose. It swings easily towards me and gives a shrill jingle from a bell attached to the doorway. I take a seat by the door waiting for someone, anyone, to acknowledge me. Finally after what seemed like years a woman comes to the counter. Lacking any preamble she flatly asked my name, to which I gave a false one because you can never be sure. Nonplussed she enters it into the keyboard, waits for the information to process and then asks, "What will you be doing today?"

I reply, "I was thinking maybe just a little off the top and sides, and maybe clean up my neckline a bit."
Last edited by Formerfish on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:59 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

You know what? Let's try this for once.
I wish I were in from the start, but here I am now!
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:12 am

Post by vizIIsto »

This sure was fun to do!

Cold and Bitter Hope, 743 words

Spoiler:
Aah, Old Trafford. Good ol' Trafford. The closest visualization of a sports nirvana. That's how I used to see it in my childhood. To stand here, right on this pitch, is what I've always dreamt of: taking in all those glaring eyes of a mere seventy-thousand passionate fans, who desperately hope for a miracle monument of football greatness. They're the breath of soccer, they inhale it and exhale their proud chants to us. It is indeed breathtaking.
De Gea launches a long ball forward. In the corner of my eye, I see Pogba nutmeg De Bruyne with an exquisite display of soccer swiftness. What an incredible move of footwork, the commentators must have said at this very moment.
He crosses the ball towards me. Is this my time? Is this my time? One further step is separating me from the ball, and the goalkeeper, and the goal. I can feel it, this is going to be the goal that the spectators will speak about for days to come! I can show the rest of the world the victory dance I've been practicing for the past few weeks! A final breath, a delicate swing with my right leg, this is the time...

"Focus, Adam!"
Suddenly the frigid and bitter voice of my coach awakens me. I watch as I see how that godforsaken soggy ball rolls past my reach and into the personal space of a midfielder on the opposing team.
“There’s no time to play fool’s paradise, you numbskull! Wake up and focus!”
As much as I’d hate to say it, and as much as I hate him, William is right. I’ll never make it to Manchester United when I keep on daydreaming as much as I do today. Instead, I’m stuck here playing soccer on an old muddy lawn on a foggy Sunday afternoon. No immense crowds for me. I’ll have to do it with my mom, my pushy dad who stubbornly carries on giving me directions (there is a coach for a reason), the grandparents of my best friend and fellow teammate Zeke, who I suppose joined us since they probably have nothing better to do as old lonely souls, and a bunch of other unfamiliar adults that are forced to observe this match because they esteem their children incapable of biking to the match by themselves.

Ever since I moved over here to Macclesfield and joined the Tytherington Juniors, I didn’t like my coach William. Something about his whiskered eyebrows and the far sunken corners of his mouth terrifies me. I’ve been told by Mathew that the only reason I’m still playing in the starting 11 is because William finds a good acquaintance in my dad. During one match with the Prestbury Phantoms when he put me on the bench, my dad was screaming hellfire during the first 15 or so minutes of the match. My coach didn’t really value suchlike verbalization to be present during a children’s game of soccer.
Luckily I still have Zeke. It’s always good to share hobbies with somebody else. In my case, that hobby is drawing my own cartoons, and Zeke likes to draw illustrations as well. Together we created a cartoon called ‘Fishy Frank’, an old grumpy sea monster who lives on the ocean floor. Recently we tried to recreate the sunken city of Atlantis; it didn’t go as planned.
If I had the option to choose, I would rather draw Homer Simpson for the umpteenth time, than to play another soccer match on a freezing winter’s day for the umpteenth time. But then again, there are many more players that went on to be famous with a soccer career, than fantasy cartoonists. Plus, now that I’ve grown on to play as many matches as I do now, it would mean a huge letdown to my dad if I didn’t play. And I don’t like him when he’s moody. Nor my coach.

At least there’s a marginal spark of hope left. We are leading by two goals to nil. I haven’t scored a goal yet. I missed a big opportunity and slided the ball just wide of the post, but I don’t mind about that as much as I used to do. The only opportunity I really care about, is when I’m in a filled to the brim Old Trafford during the final of the FA Cup. Against our eternal rivals from Manchester City, of course. Because it must be a legendary final.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:43 am

Post by vizIIsto »

In the rules it says you shouldn't critique anyone else's story during the competition period. Is that for public critique only or also for private critique? As in, can I tell someone else what I thought of their story through PM's or not?
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:53 am

Post by Creature »

There's the chance they may decide to edit it/write something else, but if they are okay with it and promise to not change, sure.
Sigh
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:23 am

Post by vizIIsto »

Aah okay, that's a reason for me to renounce doing it.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:11 am

Post by Formerfish »

You can just say it if it's me. I don't care.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:16 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 194, vizIIsto wrote:In the rules it says you shouldn't critique anyone else's story during the competition period. Is that for public critique only or also for private critique? As in, can I tell someone else what I thought of their story through PM's or not?
It's because you can unwittingly influence the outcome of the judging period by critiquing stories before the deadline

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:06 am

Post by Creature »

Feel free to criticize stories from previous prompts. We like to hear something about our stories.
Sigh

Return to “General Discussion”