Fiction Rumble II - Week 26 (Current Champion: Zaphkael)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:06 am

Post by Creature »

Likely I will if there aren't enough submissions.
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:12 am

Post by Creature »

In post 224, Something_Smart wrote:I got an idea literally yesterday... if you extended it a few days I might be able to make it.
Hehe, I will try to go from scratch to a full story today.
Sigh
student
student
Watcher
student
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:36 pm

Post by student »

i have a faint slip of an idea too! let's extend the deadline
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:10 pm

Post by Mina »

I started something and might enter if you do extend the deadline.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:42 pm

Post by Creature »

New deadline:
(expired on 2019-11-02 18:00:00)

Is that okay?
Sigh
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:05 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Don't think this is gonna happen, sorry. Has nothing to do with the deadline, I just didn't end up liking my idea enough and the thought of writing it felt like a chore :/

Inspiration is hard ok.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Post by Creature »

Huh we're waiting the NaNoWriMo to end

I haven't written anything anyway, so I could continue this

If you want I can find a new prompt though
Sigh
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 6:05 am

Post by Equinox »

Now that we're all stuck at home, any chance of this coming back?

I totally remembered about this only after Zaphkael brought it up in the Title Fairy thread.
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 am

Post by Zaphkael »

I'll have to update the OP again, but I'm totally willing to do this again! I'll send creature a message if he still wants to do the prompt this time
But I know, at the end...
Shoot me a message if you need a game reviewed!
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 8:51 am

Post by Creature »

Idk I don't really care
Sigh
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 9:40 am

Post by Zaphkael »

unless you want to write this time, feel free to give us a prompt then!
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 10:08 am

Post by kuribo »

Ooooooo im down
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 11:00 am

Post by Creature »

I don't have one prompt in mind. Feel free to create a new one or use the latest as you desire.
Sigh
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 12:43 pm

Post by kuribo »

Just steal one from the Simple Prompts subreddit

Not WritingPrompts, I'm not doing 1000 words about what if my crush could read my thoughts and we all had a number floating over our heads indicating our sexual virility and also werewolves are attacking

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 1:02 pm

Post by Creature »

In post 238, kuribo wrote:Not WritingPrompts, I'm not doing 1000 words about what if my crush could read my thoughts and we all had a number floating over our heads indicating our sexual virility and also werewolves are attacking
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks r/writingprompts is bullshit
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 1:11 pm

Post by Creature »

The child from the underground
[Interpret it however you want]
Max: 2000 words
Sigh
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Sat May 09, 2020 12:08 pm

Post by Zaphkael »

This may or may not be kind of a very loose interpretation of the prompt but it's what I'm rolling with, I think.

Spoiler: Moments, 1219 words
“Have you seen him again since last time?”

I shook my head.

“No. He’s left me alone”, I lied.

“Good.”

One year ago. That's when this all began.
I was on my daily commute to school when I saw him. Third stop, where nobody ever gets on the underground. He did.

The slightly confused look on his face, his messy brown hair waving in the breeze that never seemed to end. The way he effortlessly hopped into the metro, and looked around with his big, hazel eyes. Do you know those wonderful, almost picture-like moments that seem to last forever? This one did. Everything about him was perfectly imperfect, and I couldn’t take my eyes off of him.

I was staring, but I realised only after I noticed that he was, too. There was this moment of awkwardness that wasn’t all that awkward, this feeling of comforting consciousness that I had never experienced before. Does love at first sight exist? Is it possible that moments like this feel like they should last forever?
It didn’t last forever. Fourth stop, and he was gone already. Disappeared, suddenly, abruptly bringing me back to reality. Who was he? Would I ever see him again?

The answer to that question came two weeks after. It was a beautiful summer morning when I was at the park. You know it, this exciting scent of a soon to be unbearably hot day, held back only by the sun rising through the budding leaves. It’s one of those moments when you can smell joy, when you can feel the frenzy, the thrill, the eagerness of every part of nature wanting to blossom.

Through the green of the leaves, and the orange of the sunset, I saw his hazel eyes. He smiled, awkwardly. Perfectly. Do you ever experience something so incredible that it must be a dream? This moment, it was one of them.
And then we talked. He told me about how he saw me, and remembered me. I told him the same. I don’t know how long it lasted, but does that really matter? What does time mean in a dream?

People stared at us, but we didn’t care. Why would we? I invited you to come home with me, and have dinner. And you said yes.
Time is a strange thing. One moment everything feels so unreal, and then it all comes crashing down. Iron pillars blocked the entrance to a tall, grim building. “Psychiatric Residency Goodwill”, the sign said. “This is all my fault”, my mom cried, and “I’m doing this for you. Only for you.” I didn’t understand. What was wrong with me? What was wrong with us?

The people you love the most, can hurt you the most. Not him. He never left my side, not even once. Whenever I was worried, trying to figure out why mom would ever leave me here, he held my hand and comforted me. “It’ll be all right”, he said. “We’re getting through this, you and me against the world.” And I believed him.
Not once did he care about anyone else. Not once did he even speak to anyone else. Is this what love really is? Complete, unconditional loyalty? I don’t think so, but who am I to say. He helped me, with everything, despite everything. The doctors gave me pills, but he told me to flush them. Because they would make me sick. Because my mom wanted me gone. Because for some reason, I wasn’t worthy of being alive. And I believed him. Why wouldn’t I?
Iron pillars blocked the exit of this tall, grim building, but he was here with me. And nothing could get between us. Right?

Wrong.

A new kid arrived, as scared and confused as I once was. I talked to her, about how she wasn’t alone. About how things would get better.
He lashed out at me. His hazel eyes now radiating hatred, his awkward smile nowhere to be found.
“Is this what I get back for everything I’ve done?! Is this how you repay my unconditional love?!”
“I’m sorry, I - “

He didn’t listen. For the first time in forever, the person who always listened to me no matter what, didn’t. I apologised to her, the new kid, but she didn’t understand. “It’s okay”, I told her; I didn’t either.
Would I ever see him again? Did I mess this up, for good this time?

Reality is so confusing. You think you know what is going on, you think you have figured out everything and everyone. But you don’t. You haven’t. It’s a riddle, over and over again, and you don’t ever get the time to solve it. But I, I wanted to solve him. He knew me, understood me, and all I wanted was to do the same.

He didn’t leave. He came back, to me, but things were different. We were more distant, colder, sadder. Until that moment. That moment.
I saw him sitting there, from the corner of my eye. Casual. Relaxed. It almost felt like how it was before, you know…

“I know where they keep their needles. Feel like getting some?”

Did he actually ask me to do drugs?

“I don’t know dude, I don’t think that’s a good idea? Doing drugs has never been my thing.”

“You’re letting me down again? Come on dude, this one time, do something for me. Please.”

Love is conflict. It’s doing things you don’t like because someone else does. He taught me that.

It happened in a flash, a fleeting moment. The light coming from my alarm indicated it was two in the morning, and we got up. Whispering, giggling, like little children doing something they shouldn’t be doing. Honestly, was there any difference?
Dark hallways, locked doors. A cabinet, small and seemingly red – the dim light that lingered throughout the building wasn’t nearly enough to see everything clearly – appeared, and we stopped.

“We’re here, take it.”

And I did.

We ended up in our room again, somehow, at some point. My hesitation within moments overwhelmed by his encouragement, his warm words. Not once did he stop loving me.

There were colours, and people. I think? Music, loudly. People screaming. Flashing lights, but nothing I could distinguish. I couldn’t see, I couldn’t think. As if some thick fog had taken a hold of me, I was blinded. What was time? Does “how long” really exist? It was all but moments, moment after moment, overwhelming all of my senses at once, and none at all.

Time is a strange thing. One moment everything feels so unreal, and then it all comes crashing down. Strapped to a bed, everything around me white. A doctor came to see me, and asked what happened.

Love is conflict. It’s doing things you don’t like because someone else does. But I couldn’t. I panicked.

“It was him. He made me do it. Please, he made me do it, forgive me.”

Worry is all I could see on his face.

“He doesn’t exist. He never has. You’re traumatised, and your mind refuses to admit it.”

And my world got shattered.

Hazel eyes stared into my soul, full of hatred. Furious. Betrayed.

“Have you seen him again since last time?”

I shook my head.

“No. He’s left me alone”, I lied.

“Good.”
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2020 12:54 am

Post by Zaphkael »

Six days left, you can do this!
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2020 12:54 am

Post by Zaphkael »

Is anyone still planning on doing this?
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2020 1:40 am

Post by Creature »

I think they come last minute
Sigh
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2020 8:38 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 244, Creature wrote:I think they come last minute

Gotta take some time to polish that turd if I'm gonna slap my name next to it.

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2020 9:03 am

Post by Creature »

In post 245, kuribo wrote:
In post 244, Creature wrote:I think they come last minute

Gotta take some time to polish that turd if I'm gonna slap my name next to it.
Guess I just wait until the very last minute to start writing and somehow come up with something
Sigh
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 8:06 pm

Post by Mina »

...so I wrote this at the last minute in one sitting, and HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME. (Consider this a disturbing content warning.)

Spoiler: The Golden Place, 1733 words (give or take a few when I do mad last-minute edits since I'm minutes away from the deadline)
Simon was a good boy. Mother gave him rules, and he always followed them.

The first rule was to stay away from the golden place.

But why, he asked. It was so pretty. Most of the time it hid from Simon, but when Mother came down, up above opened, and then the golden place was there again. Even though it was so shiny that it hurt his eyes, he could squeeze them so they didn't hurt as much and see a colour that Mother called blue. Sometimes, he would get on his tippy toes and raise his hand, and it felt warm, like a friend he'd never met.

Little boys shouldn't go up there, said Mother. It's dangerous.

Okay, said Simon. So he stayed in his home, in the dark, covered in dirt and with the creepy crawlies as his best friends.

The second rule was to be quiet when the noises came.

Most days, this was easy. Because he was always quiet. There was no one to talk to, except for the creepy crawlies, and sometimes Mother. The only time it got hard was when the noises above got very loud. Because then he'd get scared, so he had to bury his mouth in his arms and hide his crying.

Long ago, when Simon was smaller, he wasn't good at hiding it. He would make a lot of noise, and Mother would be mad. Mother said if someone found him, something terrible would happen. So he learned. He didn't want to be bad. When he was bad, the chains came out, and the needle that made his head all fuzzy, and the cotton rag in his mouth so he couldn't cry out.

The last rule was to get in the cage when it was time for meals.

Snacks were fine anywhere. Mother brought him things called apples and strawberries, cucumbers and carrots, and they would eat those together. Sometimes, when Simon was very good, she brought him treats. Simon's favourite treat was cakes. Those were so yummy. It all came from the golden place. Simon wished he could go and get cakes whenever he wanted from the golden place too. But the ladder always came and went with Mother. Besides, only bad boys went there. And Simon was good.

But meals were different. He knew that it was mealtime when he got very hungry. And Simon was so good now that Mother didn't even have to tell him what to do. She didn't need the needle that made his head fuzzy anymore, or the chains. As soon as he started to feel funny, he'd crawl into the cage, put the handcuffs on, and wait.

Whenever Mother came from the golden place and saw him in his cage, her hands got shaky. She would look silly, because her face would turn the colour of the inside of a cucumber. Then she'd say, you're such a good boy, Simon. And when Simon was only a bit very-hungry, he would say, thank you, Mother. When he was really very-hungry, so very-hungry it hurt, he would say, feed me you fucking bitch feed me feed me FEED ME.

Then Mother would go away for a long time, so long that sometimes, the hunger got really bad. And he would start chewing on the bars, or on his arms and legs until water the colour of strawberries came out. But Mother would always come back with a meal. It was never an apple or a strawberry or a cucumber or a carrot or a cake. It was something that wriggled a lot, like the creepy crawlies, except it was much bigger, and furry. And it would make funny noises. She would throw it into a hole in his cage.

Once Simon asked, Mother, why does my food make noises?

And Mother said nothing. Her eyes got watery, and she looked away.

His meals weren't yummy like the cakes. Actually, Simon could never remember what they tasted like at all.

So Simon stayed a good boy for a long time. He was so good that sometimes he got sad. Because he was all alone, and he had no one to play with. There was only just enough room for him to lie down. He spent all day walking back and forth, back and forth, or kicking the wall over and over again, or crying. And it was cold, so so so cold.

Then one day he heard noises.

Simon knew what to do. He buried his mouth in his arms, like a good boy.

But it was a noise he'd never heard before. It sounded a lot like his own voice.

And then Simon was bad. Simon was very bad.

He called out, Is someone there?

After awhile, the voice said, Who are you?

Are you Mother? You sound different.

I'm not a mother, said the voice. I'm only eight. Are you stuck?

Yes, said Simon.

Then something magical happened. Up above opened, and then a monster looked down at him.

Simon shrunk into a tiny ball and raised his arms and said, Please don't hurt me.

I'm not going to hurt you, said the thing. Why are you in a hole?

Simon said, Mother told me to stay here and I don't know how to leave. Are you from the golden place?

I'll get my mom, said the thing. What's your name?

Simon, he answered.

I'm Kylie, said the thing. Do you go to school?

Simon didn't know what a school was, so he said no.

Then it was quiet. The longer up above stayed open, the less shiny it got. Now he could see the blue without hurting his eyes.

Jesus, said another voice, one that sounded a lot like Mother but wasn't. I'll call the cops.

Everything was scary and strange. He moaned. He covered his ears.

It's okay, said the voice who wasn't Mother. Nothing will hurt you. How long have you been there?

Always, said Simon. I've never left.

The voice got all shaky. It said, What kind of sick freak would do this to a little kid?

Simon said, I feel funny.

It's okay, said the voice like Mother's. You poor thing. Are you hurt? I'll get you right away.

Something long and thin like the wriggly creepy crawlies fell. And then a person who looked a bit like Mother but wasn't Mother came down like it was a ladder.

But I'm hungry, said Simon. Mother says I should stay in my cage when I'm hungry.

Oh my God, said the person who wasn't Mother. I'm going to throw up. Come here.

Arms wrapped themselves around him. They pulled him up, up the long and thin ladder. Something about the warm arms made Simon's mouth water.

Simon started to get scared. No, he said, you don't understand. I'm hungry. I need to stay in my cage. I need to be good. Please. I'm hungry.

Hush, said the person who wasn't Mother. We'll get you food.

And then the person pulled Simon out, and he landed on something pointy that was the colour of broccoli. Above him was blue, lots and lots of blue. Everything was loud. So loud. Suddenly, the golden place wasn't pretty and warm and a friend he'd never met. It was sharp things that scratched at him, like the creepy crawlies that bit him sometimes. It was too open. It was too big. He couldn't be here. Not now. He needed his cage.

He heard Kylie say, What happened?

Someone very bad hurt this boy, said the person who wasn't Mother. And we're going to help him.

It hurts, said Simon. My stomach. It hurts. It hurts it hurts it hurts.

I'm here, honey. We'll call the doctor for you. We'll make it better.

The person wrapped its arm around Simon. And it smelled so juicy, so sweet and fresh, that Simon couldn't help it, Simon smiled.

He didn't understand why they both made such funny faces. The person who wasn't Mother took a step back.

Kylie asked, Why are your teeth so sharp?

The person who wasn't Mother grabbed Kylie. Yanked her away with thick, fleshy arms that jiggled tantalizingly.

They started running, and in the crisp air, the scent of their salty sweat was intoxicating.

And then it pounced, sinking its teeth into its prey, time to bite and rip the flesh and tear it to shreds, hear the crack of bones and taste the meat and suck the juicy blood and feed--

---

Mother wiped his face off with a cloth. Then she rocked him back and forth, stroking his forehead as Simon sucked his thumb. They were down below again.

Mother said, When you were born, you were the loveliest baby I ever saw. Such perfect white teeth and beautiful green eyes. And so well behaved, too. You slept soundly through the night. You never needed much milk, either. We found the rats, but I thought they were because of that cat, until it was the cat next. And then your father and I were scared, so scared. But we couldn't believe it. We didn't believe it until one day it was your brother.

Simon lowered his head, because he'd been bad.

Oh, Simon, said Mother. What am I to do with you?

Are you going to punish me, Mother, he asked.

Yes, said Mother. I'm sorry, Simon, but there's no other way. So Mother pulled out the needle, and also forceps.

When it was over, Simon had no more teeth, and everything hurt so much that he started to cry. Simon asked, Mother, do you hate me?

Of course not, said Mother. People tried to take you away from me, after what happened to your brother. People wanted to hurt you so bad that you wouldn't wake up again. But it's not your fault. You didn't put the monster in you. I know that you're a good boy. Whenever you smile at me, I see it.

Simon said, Mother, it hurts.

I know, Simon. It won't be so bad, you'll see. I'll mash your food up for you. It won't fill you up the same, when it's not moving. But there's no choice. But please be good, Simon. You have to be good. Otherwise I can't keep protecting you.

Simon asked, Mother, do you love me?

Mother said, Simon, I love you so much that I would die for you. One day I will die for you, and I don't even care.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 6:10 am

Post by Creature »

Oh shit time's up

I'll get to this
Sigh
Creature