Why do you like Movies?

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Why do you like Movies?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:40 am

Post by Firebringer »

I don't really know anyone who hates movies, but i do find people who have differing opinions of me on what makes a great or even good movie. So would like to hear what everyone thinks makes the best movie.
Spoiler: My criteria
1) Characters.
For me any and all movies can be saved if the characters in the movie are fun/enjoyable to watch and see in action, its also good if the character changes throughout the movie. I love seeing contrast of characters from beginning of a movie to end. I also like seeing good supporting characters, developed villians, and obviously compelling leads.

2) Theme.
If you have the characters down thats all you need to be a good movie in my book, but i think great movies have a central theme that they tell through creative story telling and through the characters. They try to inform you of some message the director/writer wants to say and they deliver it in a well written plot. If your plot is well crafted than the theme is likely well executed with good characters to do so.

3) Meaningful Scenes
This is kind of tied to theme, but I am talking about scenes that serve a great purpose in the overall story than just "we had to put in this action scene here because audiences expect it" things work together and strengthen the overall movie. Action scenes are often the biggest offender when it comes to meaningfulness but you can also have pointless conversations or simply things that don't match the tone of the film that really takes you out of it.

For me if a movie gets down those three than everything else can be handwaved and still be called an amazing movie.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:20 am

Post by Plotinus »

I am picky about movies. I like movies that make me feel something but not if it's too cheesy or sappy or makes me feel manipulated. I like movies where the pacing is kinda slow and there aren't too many camera angle changes, which I find disorienting. So low budget stuff tends to please me more. I want to see something newish or unusual. Not the same old story with the serial numbers filed off. I want the characters to look like real people. If everyone is white with roughly the same haircut then it's hard to tell people apart. Funny is ok but I like serious better but I want it done well. I don't want to watch a Very Special Episode about for example drugs are bad.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:28 am

Post by mykonian »

sure:

There's one thing a good movie needs and that's a story. Don't care for explosions and I can't judge acting. After that all that I ask is that I'm treated with some respect, don't try to sell me garbage where it's just a couple of star actors and a lame plot. And that doesn't mean that every movie has to be the godfather. Say, Forrest Gump is totally silly. I don't care, I'm being told a fun story. It's like reading books, if it's not to let me experience a different world for an hour or two, and have me think about the story for another 2, what good is a movie?

After that, atmosphere. Tends to go with a good story, but this is what can take it over the top. If you want the movie to hit home, it has to engage me, affect how I feel. Make me wish the room wasn't so dark, make me cry when a character dies, etc. This is ages ago, but say, the sense of dread that "The Wave", imparted.

Last but not least: A good villain. Can be the opposition or a morally dubious (main) character. No surprises, this guy can make a movie himselves. My favourite disney movie is Hercules. Don't care about Phil, or Hercules. Megara.. now she's intriguing, a nice dubious character. But Hades... wow. Yes please, more of that.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:06 pm

Post by ThinkBig »

I'm honestly not the biggest movie fan and not the biggest movie buff. Personally when I watch a movie, I want to be able to relate to the story and feel good about it.

My biggest problem with movies nowadays is that they all have similar plots and are so predictable as to what is going to happen next.

I do enjoy older films and classic movies and I am a huge fan from music from movies.
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Post by Aronis »

My criteria:
I only watch movies that are A. Star wars or B. Marvel
I just can't be bothered to care about anything else for some reason
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:35 am

Post by inte »

i don't have to live my life for 2 hours

lol
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:06 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 4, Aronis wrote:My criteria:
I only watch movies that are A. Star wars or B. Marvel
I just can't be bothered to care about anything else for some reason
:neutral:
third best scummer of all time
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:09 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

I watch movies mainly to have something to talk to hiplop and BPC about in the car.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:15 am

Post by hiplop »

:oops:
In post 7, Cheetory6 wrote:I watch movies mainly to have something to talk to hiplop and BPC about in the car.
<3
third best scummer of all time
Empire
Empire
Mafia Scum
Empire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:19 am

Post by Empire »

I don't have any defined criteria for what I like in film. I'm satisfied when a movie makes me think and feel something. Bonus points if the filmmakers take risks and find a new way to communicate or tell a story.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:22 am

Post by Annadog40 »

There are a lot of elements that make up a movie. Sometimes acting, set, directing and other backgroujd elements can make a weak story and characters enjoyably.

That being said, I like character driven work more. Any premise can be great depending on how it's handled.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.

Return to “General Discussion”