Windows 10

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Windows 10

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:48 am

Post by RedCoyote »

I know we had a thread about Windows 10, but I couldn't find it on the top page and didn't feel like necroing it.

Are there any Microsoft certificate holders here? I'm currently interested in taking a course that would prep me for a basic certification in Windows 10. I've never gotten a MS certification. Ideally, it would be something focused on upgrading from 7 as that would be the environment I'd be using it in (upgrading existing systems, teaching end users changes to UI, etc). Any input would be appreciated.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:28 am

Post by Psyche »

i love windows 10 i can't think of a complaint about it
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:05 am

Post by inte »

what certs/experience do you have?
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:27 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Is this an employment thing?
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:27 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

I'm going to high jack this thread and ask for a good resource to learn powershell
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:27 am

Post by inte »

In post 4, Flubbernugget wrote:I'm going to high jack this thread and ask for a good resource to learn powershell
https://www.manning.com/books/learn-win ... nd-edition
Show

Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:59 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

<3
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:25 am

Post by Creature »

I have Windows 10 but I only use Microsoft Edge, so most features are useless for me.
Sigh
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:43 am

Post by RedCoyote »

In post 2, inte wrote:what certs/experience do you have?
Just A+. I don't have any Microsoft certifications. I do field service work, mostly hardware related, but I'd like to become more familiar with Windows 10. My company does a lot of work in the public sector and pretty much everyone is running 7 at this point. Windows 10 upgrades are inevitable in the future, and the company would pay for me to take the exam/exams for certification. I don't deal with servers or networking or anything like that, so I was just looking for advice strictly for something that would be helpful in regards to upgrading current machines. I've done some googling, but there's a lot of stuff out there and I'm not too familiar with the world. There's just a million different outfits that offer prep courses. I want to be sure to find a good one.
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:28 am

Post by inte »

In post 8, RedCoyote wrote:
In post 2, inte wrote:what certs/experience do you have?
Just A+. I don't have any Microsoft certifications. I do field service work, mostly hardware related, but I'd like to become more familiar with Windows 10. My company does a lot of work in the public sector and pretty much everyone is running 7 at this point. Windows 10 upgrades are inevitable in the future, and the company would pay for me to take the exam/exams for certification. I don't deal with servers or networking or anything like that, so I was just looking for advice strictly for something that would be helpful in regards to upgrading current machines. I've done some googling, but there's a lot of stuff out there and I'm not too familiar with the world. There's just a million different outfits that offer prep courses. I want to be sure to find a good one.
you say its inevitable but my machine at work still runs win7. i work for a 2.5bn+ revenue isp

honestly if you're looking for a career path, start studying for something like the mcsa for server 2012 or 2016. servers are just basically more complex pcs and pc os certs aren't very useful. if you have the a+ you're probably already tapped out on what you need for field tech work
Show

Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 7, Creature wrote:I have Windows 10 but I only use Microsoft Edge, so most features are useless for me.
You're either a monster, or a monster troll
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

So my new Win10-running laptop is running into an issue where a lot of the Windows-default updating screens are showing up in really low definition. Having this issue with my older but still Win10-running desktop as well. Is this normal?
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:06 am

Post by CooLDoG »

In post 1, Psyche wrote:i love windows 10 i can't think of a complaint about it
fucking can't press a key on my keyboard to go to the programs that start with that letter. Breaks my workflow...

Other than that, after you get the bullshit sorted, it is pretty nice. Except for gimping the control panel and other such settings.
after a wank.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Post by Psyche »

just press the start button then start typing or is that not what you're talking about
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:10 am

Post by talah »

I spun up a server 2016 server a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not sure if it's updated or if it's not, but it's repeatedly trying to install GB optical character recognition and failing and it is spamming the absolute crap out of internet calls (from firewall logs - something like 5 times the amount of calls from every single other device on the network through our web filter) with no indication of why it would do that. I'm guessing it's by default online and I need to shut that down by GPO but it's super laggy too.

Thinking Server 2016 is the new Vista, but unfortunately Windows 10 is apparently going to become version/codename-specific so that we plebs can't convey to the regular person that "Windows 10 release xyz was a dog and it's Microsoft's fault".

Most regular users are okay with it due to what I'll call "Steam conditioning" but when you have like 100 business applications and a bunch of them get broken for your staff, by updates even through WSUS critical-only updates - you get an idea of Microsoft's business plan. Which is basically "fuck localised IT by making them walk the line between security updates and broken updates, and then immediately fix the problems for Office 365 customers".

Also did I mention that server 2016 is a pile of bandwidth-hogging lagging shit?
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

As a sysadmin what Microsoft is doing really sucks, but from a developer standpoint I hope it changes coding culture to better embrace changing technology. Windows is the only OS with a culture for long-term compatibility, and that won't be a sustainable model forever.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:22 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

On that compatibility note, the fact that windows is a single entity is a huge relief when I've been fumbling around on Linux too much. "Compile from source" gripes just scratch the surface of how rediculous this can be. The "Unix philosophy" culture causes so much unnecessary BDFL bullshit that a distro can crumble under its customizability right out of the box. Centos 6 has two network managers running out of the box. Configure one and the other steps on it in pretty unpredictable ways. There's a similar issue with dchp servers on raspian. As noble as it is for Linux to want to keep everyone happy, the old adage still stands that such a goal is just going to leave everyone pissed.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Excuse me, we already have a thread to talk about Windows UI...this is the NK nukes thread please stay on topic.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Post by talah »

KAPAP

Actually I'd heard (vaguely) that .NET is moving to a more universal platform model, either that or it's just that smarter people are finally abstracting the platform for use in different ways. I mean we have most (funtional, user) applications moving toward web, it's just be super-nice to be able extricate business systems from dependency on Microsoft. They do some things so well and others so badly (and the badder(?) things are generally those without an option to move away).
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:14 am

Post by talah »

In post 0, RedCoyote wrote:I know we had a thread about Windows 10, but I couldn't find it on the top page and didn't feel like necroing it.

Are there any Microsoft certificate holders here? I'm currently interested in taking a course that would prep me for a basic certification in Windows 10. I've never gotten a MS certification. Ideally, it would be something focused on upgrading from 7 as that would be the environment I'd be using it in (upgrading existing systems, teaching end users changes to UI, etc). Any input would be appreciated.
Microsoft used to have these things called "Self-paced Training Kits" back in the day of Server 2003. They were physical books that you would buy and they covered the absolute crap out of exactly how to use and configure the operating system, notes on best practice and security considerations, incidental considerations and study notes. Since 2008 the training kits seem to be just "perform function x" and they don't really bring together the essence of what you'd need to know in configuring a system based on a server OS. I do own an Win7 Administration guide though (also published by MS Press) which was much better than what was available for Server 2008 at the time (not much was published about 2008 R2 - Which was the Win7 Equivalent - at the time it started become mainstream, as opposed to the 2008 & Vista equivalence).

I think most of the back-end stuff has now become most readily accessible through paid training but it's bloody expensive. Like a couple of grand for a 3-day course. You do get the training materials and the ability to do things in practice in a lab but depending on your instructor and the enthusiasm of your classmates it may or may not be the best way to go. I think there is also some free training available from Microsoft in a virtual lab context but can't for the life of me remember where I found that. It's official but just has some wierd URL.

I'd still recommend MS press books or the like. Some of the "official" stuff is just a bit not-so-useful in practice lately though so it might be worth googling what people think about it.
When I want to know about a tech I'll generally start by googling "MS Press" + (topic), take a look, and then jump on Amazon and search for books on (topic).
You can get most Microsoft books through (puke) Kindle.

Return to “General Discussion”