10 Years

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

10 Years

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:11 am

Post by Porochaz »

Man, 10 years on this site.

I knew I was going to make this post (although not the contents) for a while. It's pretty self-indulgent but I guess today would be the day to do it. I don't even know what the contents are going to be, but Im going to write and hopefully not edit too much, as I have been prone to do recently. This will be a long one folks, for newbies who don't know me, it won't be worth reading.

I wanted to talk a little about my 10 years. Nothing too much, as Im certain I've said a lot of it before. I joined the site before uni, like a few weeks before. I can't really remember why I was trying to remember the name of this game that I had played at a Scout meeting and I found it through the wikipedia page. About a year later I was in a shitty living situation and mafiascum gave me respite from the shitty flatmates I was living with. In retrospect, I wasn't the greatest housemate but as you grow and evolve and reminisce you realise things that sometimes you aren't always the good guy. I enjoyed playing and made lots of friends on-site. I got to do some things that I thought I would never do. I went to the US on my own... twice! I met some really nice people and think of them as some of my closest friends. I had a lot of friends from scumchat, which was an AIM server which to outsiders was a trolly clique, but beyond a small subsection was a closeknit group. I was sad when it shut down, more by LOL than anything else. Sitechat, is good, but in a different way, and for me at least, it will never be able to recapture some of the essence of what made the site special to me.

However, for all the benefits of mafiascum, there was a fair amount of things that I didn't like as well. I'd put a significant part of me not doing so well at uni down to mafiascum. There were nights I didn't sleep as I was in a number of games or I was chatting to people on scumchat. At times I kinda forgot what was important. It was the same at work, I never got pulled up for it, but I was on MS (and other sites tbf) a lot. There were times I chose the site over going out with friends... I can't blame the site for that, that was me. For the escapism this site provided me near the start, it did also keep me from doing things which I'm now finding help me when I get down. This site is a game site, it isn't therapy. Which I feel people should be told regularly on this site.

The wheels came off for me a while ago. A number of years ago, actually. The site meta had started to change. The idea of shouting people into submission and that was somehow fun became the aim, ridiculing them until they replaced out combined with the spam, and whilst this may have changed now. I have no desire to find out. I modded my last game not so very long ago. It became an utter shitshow. I couldn't keep up with said spam. Everyday I would receive PM's about how I was unfairly treating people, usually from the worst offenders. The line between people being my friends and people I was modding was so blurred I didn't mod very well and these people took advantage. I'd say that that game very definitely ruined at least one friendship on site and removed my desire to mod ever again either. On the GD side, Forum 62 and later, Speakeasy became a thing and both have come with problems that have never really recovered.

About 3/4 years ago I joked that I'd leave the site at year 10 at the latest. Thinking I wasn't going to last that long. But there was always things going on, or I held too much sentimentality to the site. Even now, Im enjoying playing video games with some of the oldies. But I decided around March/April now was the time to go. The site's meta has changed, as has the age range of the site. Despite my best efforts I've been getting older, and the site on average seems to be getting younger. Which is absolutely fine. But not for a 28 year old, who used to be 20 having fairly non-PG conversations with other people of a similar age on site. I've also spent a third of my life as a member on this site. That's just way too much for anyone. Especially someone who hasn't used this site for it's primary purpose for years now.

So for now this will be my last post. I want to be my best self and currently this computer is holding me back. I want to do things like discover the outside and play my trumpet again. I'll still be on the discord to play games and apparently facebook is so ingrained in my life that I have to keep that, but I've removed Skype from my hotbar and likely will avoid it for a while. If oldy mafia 3 is a thing I'll almost definitely come back for that (provided it doesn't happen soon) and if anyone ever wants to plonk me in an invitational, I would consider it. In regards to meets, we'll see. I have an urge to go out and see the world, an itch that meets don't usually scratch and limited holidays don't really let me have the flexibility to do everything.

I didn't want to leave this post on a crappy note. I wanted to give a summary of some of my highlights
Spoiler:
(The Corsican Syndicate - my second game entered, won as SK, Batman Mafia - Town RB'er, blocked the scumkill at least 3 times and found three of the four mafia - the only game I deserved a scummy for and it got eaten by the site crash - and Oldy Mafia 2, Scum, where my scumteam were my absolute favourites and we got a hard fought win)
and talk about some of the people I met during my time here. I'm not going to list them as I will inevitably forget a few, but there have been a lot of really cool people and I will miss the few of you who are still around. To the new people who I don't know and think Im an old fart speaking too much, some of the people will be good friends if you let them.

Anyway, that's me. Thanks for all the memories. Good luck all, you can add me on facebook if you know me (or if you don't, I just won't add you). May all your Eggnogfasmas's be merry!

Prozac
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:14 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Sayonara.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:15 am

Post by Majiffy »

Poro noooo
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:29 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

The wheels came off for me a while ago. A number of years ago, actually. The site meta had started to change. The idea of shouting people into submission and that was somehow fun became the aim, ridiculing them until they replaced out combined with the spam, and whilst this may have changed now. I have no desire to find out.
This. So much this.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:32 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Actually basically everything contained in this post contributed to my 6 month long hiatus a little whiles back.

I'm still not sure I'm actually back. But everything here is everything I feel too.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:12 am

Post by shaft.ed »

hey poro

remember that time in that game where that thing happened and it was kinda funny?
I'm too old to remember, so let me know if you do

Anyway, don't worry about getting old, you'll only get older doing that
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 am

Post by vonflare »

I love you too porzak
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 0, Porochaz wrote: But not for a 28 year old, who used to be 20 having fairly non-PG conversations with other people of a similar age on site. I've also spent a third of my life as a member on this site. That's just way too much for anyone. Especially someone who hasn't used this site for it's primary purpose for years now.
Just @ me next time.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

cheers mate
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:45 am

Post by The Fonz »

Wow this thread is a nostalgia trip.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:49 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

TSQ likes this.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 am

Post by Korts »

Good luck, Prozac. I hope you don't come back until you actually want to.

Welcome back, Fonzie!
scumchat never die
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:22 am

Post by shaft.ed »

if enough old people come back it might eventually offset the prozac loss
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

To quote AniX: Enough Stalling, free the champ!
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 am

Post by Majiffy »

CHESSKID
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:29 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 14, Majiffy wrote:CHESSKID
haHAA I never get tired of this
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.

Return to “General Discussion”