General Language-Learning/Duolingo Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Chevre
Honourable Mention

Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 pm

We've been discussing Duolingo in Sitechat for a few days so we thought to start a thread! (especially since one of the achievements requires you to get friends :P )

For those of you who don't know, Duolingo is a neat language-learning program/app that covers several languages! It's based on daily practice and review.

My Duolingo name is kittymaster9000 and I'm on a 17-day streak in Japanese :D I also dabbled a bit in the spanish and italian ones, but have fallen off the wagon :P

Post with your hot updatesies and discussion about any sort of language-learning!
GreenLiquid is awesome
Last edited by Chevre on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A scandal has rocked our village of West Covina!

Annadog40 (9:45pm)
If I was Brain surgery, would I be a dog?

Annadog40
Waiting in the Sky

Pronoun: She

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 pm

I was on a 21 day streak in Spanish and had a successful club named "El club" the group notifications woke me up in the middle of the night. I lost my streak during vacation.
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.

Also all of my limbs fell off, I must of tripped oh no, hope I don't fall in a bowl of boiling water, then I would drown.

Aristophanes
Paid the rent

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 pm

I just changed my name to Aristophanes in it! =D

I do french, like, when I remember every week or two

Edit - it keeps changing back to sheehc as my username. Add that I guess.
Proud owner of a rare Virtual Elbirn Hug! <3

"Amazon is the reason Ancient Egypt revered cats." - Jingle
"yOu beTtER wAtCh iT oR i'Ll rePoRT yOu" - podoboq

N
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm currently on a 75 day German streak! I think I once had a 400+ day streak in Swedish, though.

My username is probably nfromms. I'll add some people if I can figure out how.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy (go stick your head in a pig)

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:04 am

Fuck Chevre took my name
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

GTKAS Jiffy! (Part 1) || GTKAS Jerfy (The Sequel!) || How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart) || In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

vonflare
ドオト

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:12 am

In post 4, Majiffy wrote:Fuck Chevre took my name

if my name is Fuck Chevre

does that mean I took your name?
This post was auto-generated

Errantparabola
Jacket of All Trades

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:38 am

would be cool to extend this to general language learning thread.
Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops. --implosion

Raskolnikov
disclaimer: unqualified

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:02 pm

OOOOU a thread I like

I was learning french and hungarian like I kinda want to for like maybe two months at a slow pace but then a week ago I noticed japanese came out of beta for weeb web (for some reason the web one took longer than the app version) and went full inner filthy weeb mode on that the past 5 days. When I get to the point where I can start incorporating mango and animu things should hit critical mass (still not a weeb)

the official story is that naturally as the hardest language so far (holy moley hiragana katakana and kanji) the challenge makes it the most intriguing whereas what should be easier (french) is kinda boring tbh

on an unrelated note probably never going to learn russian but a week ago spent like 2 days looking at the cyrillic alphabet on wikipedia and practicing pronouncing things written in it for funsies (mostly names)
slightly deranged
"How did this game end in 5 pages"

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:35 pm

This is relevant to my interests.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic

Creature
Posting Frenzy

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:44 pm

Yeah, used to use that when I was learning english, but then it was basically just "keep your percentage up" and got tired of it.

tbh haven't tried other languages.
Make mafiascum great again

Equinox
Shot Count

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:18 pm

My username is Nameraka.

I used it a few months ago to learn some Spanish and review whatever French I forgot from high school (je ne sais pas français), but I stopped when I forgot a day and the imperfectness of not making a streak bothered me. I should pick it up again.
revise and resubmit

Zulfy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 am

I forgot about this. Had some sort of streak in German, might pick it back up. Was also doing Portuguese but it felt like a game of touch-the-cognates more than actual learning.
I'll look up my name later.

Tangentially, if anyone would like to practice their Spanish speaking I'd be glad to help.
Chib'ek
Chitz'aqatajik.

Zulfy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:08 am

In post 10, Equinox wrote:I stopped when I forgot a day and the imperfectness of not making a streak bothered me. I should pick it up again.

What bothered me was all the effort it took to get that bar to say 100 percent or whatever after not attending for a week.

Also this thread sorta nationalizes my chauvinism since the guy who made the app also made Captcha and was born where I was born.
Chib'ek
Chitz'aqatajik.

Keychain
Goon

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:54 pm

Ooooh language learning!

I was trying to keep up my French with Duolingo for a while after I stopped studying it formally, but got kind of bored of it because I was trying to remember words for topics I had exactly zero interest in.

I didn't realise they had Japanese now. I loved learning Japanese, it's such a cool language. I just took the placement test and got level 5 so I haven't forgotten absolutely everything over the last couple years :D it thinks I know my hiragana hahaha. I'll see if I can get a streak going.

My username is now Key.chain and anyone is welcome to be my friend! It seems you can create clubs, as well. That might be an idea.
Keychain#9808 :]

He aha te mea nui o te Ao? He tāngata, he tāngata, he tāngata. || speak for yourself, I am IMMORTAL thankyouverymuch

Xiao Long
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:42 am

I've heard bad things about Duolingo's Japanese course, but I haven't used it myself so I can't say for certain.

If anyone is really serious about learning language, Anki is probably the best thing you can use, but there's not any gamifying in it. Memrise is pretty good too, if you like the whole "streak" aspect of things.
Not trynna shit on Duolingo though, just figured I'd give some other good resources as well since you said it's a general language learning thread.
"The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent."

Raskolnikov
disclaimer: unqualified

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:38 pm

Oh yeah the course is very rough/undeveloped still from my experience and occasionally I'd get like the same one or two questions repeatedly but like I'm not picky, might check out aniki though ty as it's probably significantly more efficient at least for the courses still WIP in duo.
slightly deranged
"How did this game end in 5 pages"

HolySpiritTurtle
Goon

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:44 pm

I used to do Japanese on this until I forgot about it.

Xiao Long
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:59 pm

In post 15, Raskolnikov wrote:Oh yeah the course is very rough/undeveloped still from my experience and occasionally I'd get like the same one or two questions repeatedly but like I'm not picky, might check out aniki though ty as it's probably significantly more efficient at least for the courses still WIP in duo.

Anki is great in that it's spaced repetition which is pretty much the best way to learn a shit load of vocabulary in a short time. You can also completely customize the cards in your decks. But since it's a flashcard software, you need to have something to supplement the grammar stuff, which I suppose Duolingo would suffice. I personally used Genki and Tae Kim's grammar guide.

Use whatever will keep you learning, though. Something is better than nothing.
"The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent."

Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:34 am

I tried Spanish for a while a couple years ago. I didn't last long. I got bored.

I did however find local classes and started learning to sign. That has really peaked my interest. I'm much more of a visual person, so I think a visual language really just clicked with me on a more personal level. Plus the deaf culture is insanely cool.
Garlic is the spice of life.
GTKAS

25 days, 14 hours, 3 minutes

Errantparabola
Jacket of All Trades

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:38 am

How far along are you, Chickadee?
Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops. --implosion

Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:43 am

In ASL? I can hold very basic conversations. I had to stop taking the classes because of money. I want to get back into it.

In Spanish? I can't remember. It's been too long. I know how to say "Hello, how you you?" "Very good" "I do not speak Spanish" and a few colors.
GTKAS

Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:44 am

My grammar is ASL is not great, but i know a good bit of sings, and honestly, fingerspelling can get someone a long way.
GTKAS

Annadog40
Waiting in the Sky

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:46 am

I can finger spell and ask people for their names.
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.

Also all of my limbs fell off, I must of tripped oh no, hope I don't fall in a bowl of boiling water, then I would drown.

Errantparabola
Jacket of All Trades

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:53 am

Yeah, ASL. I'm also learning.

Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:53 am

I can finger spell, introduce myself, tell you about my family, I know some animals but I'm a big rusty on those. I know how to sign some common household items/rooms and such. I can tell you where I live and such, ask for or if you need help.I know all my colors, and a few signs for various foods. I can count/sign pretty much any number (fuck the entire 20's...they can all just go to hell). I know some other stuff too.
GTKAS

Next
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion