Fun with words!

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Fun with words!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:02 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Which of these words doesn't belong with the others?

Axe Pickaxe Adze Hoe Mattock

Axe

Why?

It's blade is in plane with the shaft. The blade is perpendicular on the others.

All the things my brain could be doing today and it points this out to me. So I figure I might as well do something with it. Otherwise my brain just totally wasted its time. So here it is for everyone to enjoy I hope. Or maybe it just inspired you to call your brain to task for the silly things it does when you aren't keeping a close eye on it. So here is something funny or informative or insightful or maybe just an out of the ordinary way to spend the last few seconds of your day.

So there brain. I made your random thought somewhat useful. I hope you will think about all of the work that you just made me go through the next time you think about having one!
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:19 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

contact.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:37 am

Post by Ectomancer »

relief.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:50 am

Post by schadd_ »

relieve
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 am

Post by schadd_ »

why do you suppose your brain wasted its time unless other people see the thing?
free darius mccollum

Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

In post 4, schadd_ wrote:why do you suppose your brain wasted its time unless other people see the thing?
It is an attention whore.

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:47 am

Post by schadd_ »

it has sex with people in exchange for attention? that is an interesting notion
free darius mccollum

Katyusha
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 pm

Post by Katyusha »

i never knew i'd relate so hard to someone's brain : (...
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

In post 7, Katyusha wrote:i never knew i'd relate so hard to someone's brain : (...
You've left my brain practically speechless because really that is all it has ever wanted. :nerd:

Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Okay, more fun with words. So I had this idea of a phrase and was needing some help analyzing it. You see I like puns. And I thought this entire phrase might in itself be one. But I think it is a far more complicated construct. So here it is:

"I believe that conspiracy theorists have taken over the history channel."

So this is a sentence that I feel changes meaning depending upon how the listener feels about the speaker.

Do you take it as a serious statement? Okay, so they just floated a conspiracy theory about
conspiracy theorists
. What do you call that?
Or was it a joke? Because they are conscious of the fact that they are floating a conspiracy theory about conspiracy theorists and hope the listener catches that and finds it amusing.

Do you see why, if a joke, I considered it at least related to the pun? A pun exploits the possible meaning of a word and in this case the joke in itself is the definition of the word it is addressing. Plainly said, this is a conspiracy theory about conspiracy theories and thus aims to tickle the funny bone using the same vector as the pun. An exploit on the meaning of a word.

Also, have you seen this History Channel lately? I honestly would not know if someone was serious when they said this. And what if they wouldn't reveal whether it was a joke or not?

Anyhow, yes I am bored. Maybe I should sign up for another game? :P

Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

Ecto, you're over-thinking it.

That's not a pun. It's a type of joke called a one-liner. The setup and punchline are within the same sentence.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

that definition of one-liner is way better than the one I've been using
To be clear: quack
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:28 am

Post by Ectomancer »

In post 10, Kublai Khan wrote:Ecto, you're over-thinking it.

That's not a pun. It's a type of joke called a one-liner. The setup and punchline are within the same sentence.
Thanks! I bet that I am prone to a similar behavior playing mafia :lol:

Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

I heard that someone was going to put on a wet T-shirt concert. I wonder how that plays?

Return to “General Discussion”