Song Contest 113 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:54 am

Post by Parama »

lol i haven't even started this yet whoops
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:07 am

Post by Parama »

Senegal – I find it hard to have any real opinion one way or another on this. It’s not obnoxious and it sounds pleasant enough, I guess. I don’t really care for the vocals, the female vocals are okay I guess but buried in the mix. It’s a bit samey across its runtime but it’s short enough that that’s not really a problem? This is just like the definition of average. (AVERAGE)

Cote d’Ivoire – Oh god, yeah, I hate this lol. It’s basically a cappella except for that clattery percussion and like, some dumb water drop sound effects. The vocals have that same overly sugary tone a lot of J-pop has and having like five layers of them doesn’t make it any better. Yeah, we’re done here. (DID NOT FINISH)

Hungary – Okay this is just a slightly better version of Senegal’s song. Like, vocals are a bit better, there’s a bit more atmosphere. But at the same time it’s also twice as long and just as lacking in variety or dynamics. Yeah I lied this isn’t better, it’s slightly worse because it goes on longer without having anything to offer beyond the first minute of the song. Ehh. It’s not bad but kind of dull. (AVERAGE)

Isle of Man – Tbh any metalcore that clearly has no interest in being interesting musically is metalcore I don’t really have any interest in. This is okay and the break in the middle was nice but besides that there’s really nothing particularly worth coming back to here. (AVERAGE)

USA – Like this right here, exactly. This isn’t really -core but it’s way more dynamic and musically interesting than the last song while still having a good hook when it needs to. I wouldn’t call it mind-blowingly good or anything but in direct contrast to the last song, yeah, I can definitely get behind this. (GOOD)

Bhutan – It’s like the bastard child of bland trap and K-pop that the world never asked for or needed. Like I’ll be fair in that it’s much better as a trap song than what gets popular in the US and she sounds decent enough but it’s still about the last thing I’d ever want to listen to. (BAD)

Burkina Faso – I’ll totally appreciate an artist being openly trans and owning it like this but it doesn’t really matter to me if the music just sounds bad, like this does. She just ain’t a great singer lol. And there’s not much to the beat either. There’s a few decent moments here I guess but on the whole, ehh, pass. (MEDIOCRE)

not a great start lol
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Post by Parama »

Egypt – Not really a fan of how nasal her vocals are but besides that this is a pretty solid pop track? Like really not much else to say about it. It’s okay. (AVERAGE)

Scotland – Hmm, this isn’t exactly fresh territory but he has a pretty good voice and there’s a lot of passion in the performance. Also, I’ll always dig those touches of horns. Maybe goes on a bit long for what it is but maybe not, it’s pretty solid stuff. (DECENT)

Ireland – Oh god I cannot stand his voice at all. Do I have to suffer 9 minutes of this? Well probably not, I see this being a did not finish already. And it’s not exactly like this is musically something I want to hear, at all. I skipped ahead some and it’s basically just a 5 minute electric fiddle-thing solo in the back half which, yeah, bye. (DID NOT FINISH)

Spain – Okay I’ve seen this album cover before because this album was fairly popular this year. Cannot say I’m much a fan of these vocals though, especially when they title drop in the chorus, it just sounds goofy. Besides that yep this is definitely a punk rock type song alright. Okay. It’s… fine I guess. (AVERAGE)

Libya – I don’t really… have anything to say about this at all. It starts off a bit slow but pleasant. Second half is a bit more upbeat but doesn’t really have any unique flavor to it. I do kind of enjoy it and might like it more on relisten but I can’t say it’s doing that much for me. (AVERAGE)

China – I listened all the way through this and… I just can’t, really. Basic beat that ends with this really obnoxious passage that I just can’t stand. Vocals are serviceable and the harmonization is fine but nothing that really stands out. And a weird detour right at the end that amounts to nothing. Mmmno. (MEDIOCRE)

Latvia – Yup, this is definitely some electronic stuff with a bit of a rock edge to it. Vocalist sounds very 80’s darkwave to me. It’s got solid driving energy to it and decent texture at times too. I can kind of get into this but it could serve to be two minutes shorter, too. It’s one of the better songs in this set though. (DECENT)

yep, this is definitely A Contest
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:52 am

Post by Errantparabola »

For the last contest, I gave Iceland (Gunship) a 7 but I regret not giving it a 10 or 12, it's really stuck with me.

Anyway, rough contest. struggled to find even 7-8 for this list.

[empty]
--
USA (I the Mighty - Pet Names) - its got a good rhythm, nothing outstanding but it's just a solid song
Scotland (Paolo Nutini - Iron Sky) - He's got a nice voice. Smooth. Brass? Nice.
Greece (Bitter:Sweet - The Bomb) - I liked it?
CAR (Supertramp - Breakfast in America) - good job car
--
Libya (As Cities Burn - Lady Blue) - it was pretty good but didn't strike me in the way that i think it was trying to
Latvia (Iris - Lands of Fire) - It's a foot tapper.
Taiwan (Amara Touré - Lamento Cubano) - cool
Netherlands (Ira! - Envelheço na Cidade) - mhm
China (Ibeyi - River) - Nice voices but its all the same.
Wales (The Drones - Shark Fin Blues) - Fine. Why the dislikes i wonder?
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 am

Post by Creature »

Finally voted. Finally a good song contest.
Sigh
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Post by Parama »

Slovenia – Yup, this is some light acoustic folk thingy with a female singer alright. She sounds fine enough. There’s like, a slight Spanish feel to this I guess? It’s far from bad, it’s pleasant enough, but it’s not particularly ear-catching. (AVERAGE)

Wales – He sings like a slightly more tolerable Tom Waits. That’s not much of an improvement though. Musically this is just completely unremarkable. Like there’s some okay buildup but it’s not enough to save the song considering the vocals. (MEDIOCRE)

Central African Republic – “oh, this song” I feel like Davsto ran out of the good classic rock bands a long time ago and thus we’re just getting the dregs that nobody really remembers by name but are kind of familiar with. I don’t really care for this too much but it’s like, fine. Instrumentation is a bit too goofy for me. Vocals not my thing either. I dunno, it’s a bit on the edge. (AVERAGE)

United Kingdom – Why does anyone anywhere do the chipmunk vocal thing. It has never once sounded good or contributed to a song in a positive way. Like besides that? Yeah, pretty chill downbeat song with a solid vocal performance, I could see myself liking this… except for the chipmunk voice. Bleh. (AVERAGE)

Greece – I mean it’s upbeat and kind of fun, the instrumentation has its moments. It’s kind of… generic though, I feel like I’ve heard it before despite knowing I haven’t. Ehh. (AVERAGE)

Netherlands – Everything is tending so frustratingly towards the middle in this contest and it’s getting really tiresome. This is another one that doesn’t necessarily sound bad & gets some nice energy in the second half but it’s kind of just some kind of Spanish bluegrass thing and it’s just, not a genre I ever get much from. Probably the best in this set so far though, I guess. (AVERAGE)

Taiwan – There’s just something… off about this one. It’s not very dynamic, the guitar lines constantly seem just a little bit off-key, the bleepy bloopy sounding flute (?) in the background is really obnoxious, stuff just comes in and out with no real rhyme or reason. I can’t say it’s completely unlistenable but it bothers me in a way I can’t really describe. (MEDIOCRE)

Iceland – I love pretty much everything about this song, the slow & chill intro (that guitar tone GOSH), and especially the entire second half just jamming on that one groove. Such a great groove, the drums are friggin’ excellent. Ends way too soon if you ask me but it’s the kind of thing I’d be okay with just having loop forever.

there were a grand total of 3 songs that caught my interest in any positive way this contest.
christ.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Post by Vijarada »

im really dreading this one.
get a warrant
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:42 pm

Post by Parama »

i'm sorry for getting your hopes down
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:47 am

Post by Creature »

I'm already pretty sure which song is winning. I'll just hope mine makes it to top 10 atleast.
Sigh
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:01 am

Post by Song Contest »

Hey Creature remember to vote
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:02 am

Post by Song Contest »

And to everyone else, a more general
reminder that votes are due by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time tomorrow!
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:36 am

Post by Creature »

In post 84, Song Contest wrote:Hey Creature remember to vote
I thought I already did.
Sigh
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:54 am

Post by Song Contest »

In post 86, Creature wrote:
In post 84, Song Contest wrote:Hey Creature remember to vote
I thought I already did.
Yeah but you also asked me to remind you, so I am.
Sesq
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:55 am

Post by Sesq »

oh shit fuck
SnowStorm
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:27 pm

Post by SnowStorm »

Taiwan - It's ok. Some nice sounds.
USA - Terribly uninteresting.
Senegal - I like the instrumental. Vocals and lyrics not so much.
United Kingdom - This is pretty cool actually.
Libya - 1st half was interesting, 2nd half was just generic post-hardcore christian rock (ty wikipedia).
Scotland - Ok I guess. Not a fan of speeches in the middle of songs.
Slovenia - It has a nice vibe. Was expecting worse judging from that picture.
China - I like this.
Cote d'Ivoire - I don't like this.
Isle of Man - nope.
Netherlands - Not a fan, but nice seeing someone else entering songs in Portuguese. Happy birthday to you too.
Iceland - This sure is long.
Spain - Ok..
Egypt - This is nice.
Central African Republic - oh it's that song.
Hungary - eh, ok.
Wales - meh.
Latvia - no.
Ireland - that's pretty neat, but no.
Greece - ok.
Bhutan - ok, I'll give points to this.

It wasn't so bad. Liked some songs, disliked a few; an average contest imo.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:50 am

Post by Parama »

Certified long
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:45 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Votes are due at 11:59 p.m. Pacific time tonight!
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 am

Post by toolenduso »

Top 10

----

Scotland - Paolo Nutini - Iron Sky: I like this dude's voice. Somewhere between Joe Cocker and Bob Marley. This is pretty cool. It's epic-sounding. Doesn't feel like six minutes. GOOD.

Greece - Bitter:Sweet - The Bomb: Hey now, this is cool. Lo-fi jazzy recording with what sounds like stand-up bass, synth and sax mixed in sparingly and creative, winding vocal melodies? Yes please! GOOD.

China - Ibeyi - River: Track is awesome. Reminds me of Lafawndah. Overall the song is a little bland. But I do like it. DECENT.

Netherlands - Ira! - Envelheco na Cidade: Sounds like hippie anthem rock, and that's fine but I don't dig it very much, man. The picked-up rhythm jam at the end helps though. DECENT.

Taiwan - Amara Toure - Lamento Cubano: It's all right. It's just pretty simple. It'd be a nice song to have playing live at a chill bar. Pairs nicely with a manhattan. Sounds ripe for hip hop sampling. None of the solos are anything that special. DECENT.

UK - Tokimonsta - Don't Call Me: Interesting track. Kind of like an evolved version of neo-soul or something. It's aight. DECENT.

Egypt - NAO - Girlfriend: Hey hey, you you, I don't like you're girlfriend! Nah jk. This is kinda neat. I like what she's doing with the rhythm. This is the kind of song where I like it, but I'm fairly confident I wouldn't be that into the rest of the artist's stuff. DECENT.

Ireland - That 1 Guy - Striped Light: This is pretty good for what it is. The thing about self-imposed musical restrictions like this is that they force the musicians to become creative with the little they have. But the limitations are so restrictive that even when they get creative they can't achieve as much as musicians with more conventional setups. So if I like one or two songs from a group with a self-imposed restriction, such as playing with one novel instrument, they're not going to be a group I listen to a lot. Anyway, this is fine and it'll probably get mid-to-high points. But it's not gonna get first and I'm not gonna check out more from this dude. DECENT.

Iceland - Solstafir - Djakninn: So many minutes of solo guitar riffing. OK it was only 2:50. Now at 6:30 and this song has pretty much been nonstop quarter-note jamming since the rhythm section kicked in. It gets a little tedious. There were some fun guitar moments. But it's like, if you were gonna stick within such a narrow range, why make it last so long? That only works when the song has an interesting atmosphere, and almost always those songs are slower than this. Yep, that was the whole song. This just did not need to be what it ended up being. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it either. DECENT.

CAR - Supertramp - Breakfast in America: Oh, it's this song? I had no idea this is what it was called. I'm kinda disappointed, actually. I already knew this song and liked Supertramp for it, so I was hoping to hear something from them that I hadn't heard yet. Oh well. This......might step over the line on my rule about songs being too well-known to be entered into the song contest. I mean, I really like this song. But it's super popular. I've heard it many times on the radio. GOOD.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:08 am

Post by toolenduso »

Supertramp would've been higher if the song wasn't so well known.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
wilky
wilky
Mafia Scum
wilky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:12 am

Post by wilky »

In post 89, SnowStorm wrote: Scotland - Ok I guess. Not a fan of speeches in the middle of songs.

Fun fact on the speech. The speech is Charlie Chaplin from the film "The Great Dictator"
wilky
wilky
Mafia Scum
wilky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:12 am

Post by wilky »

In post 89, SnowStorm wrote: Scotland - Ok I guess. Not a fan of speeches in the middle of songs.

Fun fact on the speech. The speech is Charlie Chaplin from the film "The Great Dictator"
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Post by Parama »

Sorry you're so wrong, tool
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

wilky
wilky
Mafia Scum
wilky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Post by wilky »

In post 96, Parama wrote:Sorry you're so wrong, tool
Me?
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Post by Parama »

No, tool, the user whose name starts with tool
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

wilky
wilky
Mafia Scum
wilky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Post by wilky »

In post 98, Parama wrote:No, tool, the user whose name starts with tool

Oops, my bad.

Return to “General Discussion”