Star Wars (Spoilers)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #375 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:44 am

Post by Annadog40 »

Could be like a Braking Bad kinda story/better call Saul?
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #376 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:26 am

Post by shaft.ed »

I'd rather it be Bosom Buddies except with Han and Chewie
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #377 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:43 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 374, zoraster wrote:the opinion that han solo should not have a backstory and be left somewhat of an enigma but yoda should have his fleshed out is not one I agree with.

i'm not sure how i feel about han solo getting a movie (probably largely dependent on movie quality), but yoda to me is the perfect example of someone who's best left as a mystery.

one of the problems with a han solo movie is that it probably has to portray him as some level of heroic by the end in order to have a character arc. But that somewhat dilutes the power of ANH.
the thing about a yoda or maz backstory is that it wld take the plot line back to a time where there is a better understanding of how things ended up like they were in the first place that had nothing to with either of them.

I suppose after thinking about it, mebbe it isn't character development that I am looking for. it is the star wars universe that I am wanting to explore and be a part of and for movies to go more in depth. I think this is what every fan wanted when they first saw the original SW movie (IRL).

/bring on the SWotOR stories

there is something to be said for leaving things to the imagination. the last 3 films are meant to resolve old plot lines, I get it, even if I think they are dumb. but if they want to yield to the momentum to the rebirth of what the original films were about then lets get down with what was cool about the movies in the first place. maz and yoda are only hints, there has to be more.
whew!
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #378 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:08 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague but I finally saw this. Was pretty mehed but this is not episode 1 levels of hate.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #379 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:55 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 3, Majiffy wrote:like Luke's aunt and uncle were meaningless in the scope of the whole thing.
uncle owen and aunt beru were boss.
In post 19, Majiffy wrote:LJ lets all flip our wigs over Leia's stupid fly-through-space shit. That was goddamn awful and indefensible.
agree
In post 22, TesXX wrote:Yeah I thought we'd see more of snoke and phasma in this one
i kinda feel like they wanted to end things. This felt so much like a "return of the jedi" type conclusion and I'm not sure why they kind of skipped over an "empire strikes back" type movie that really explains why the rebels are in such dire straits and we could have seen more Snoke and Phasma.
In post 49, scotmany12 wrote:-The very ending with the kid and the force grabbing the broom. Don't care about some kid. I also don't think it works as the ending to part 2 of a trilogy.
I don't think you understood the meaning then. Someone in the small group of resistance survivors asks "how will the resistance survive?" or something like that. That little boy was one of the kids that Finn and Rose had freed. It was meant to show that the rebellion still had hope. Also, possible foreshadowing that that kid joins them later in life.

I'm also not understanding something about the first battle. Ships get blown up and ppl die in battle so I'm not really getting why Poe is getting flak here. Was this an unsanctioned battle and Poe just convinced all the alliance fighters to follow him into battle? If one bomber was enough to destroy the dreadnought why risk all 3? Or is this just a plot point so doesn't necessarily have to make sense?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #380 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:25 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 71, hiplop wrote:They kiss, and from then on finn cares about her safety and wellbeing and thats the end of their story.
is it? it's prob a setup for a future romance. Also when they were on the Falcon didn't Rey glare @ Finn who was watching over Rose? Love triangle?

I'm of the opinion that Darth Vader wasn't really needed that much in RO. Maybe a voiceless cameo early in the movie and then him in the final scene where he chases the cruiser and that's it.

Agreed that luke dying was silly. The other thing I was not a huge fan of is that he insisted that that Jedi order should die and that was never really explained. If the "explanation" is that he was tormented over Ben Solo then that seems like a massive overreaction.

I mean, yeah. There is a
MASSIVE
gap between ROTJ and TFA. I don't know what the time period is meant to be but yeah its really unexplained. I still think that TFA was a rehash of "a new hope" and TTJ was "return of the jedi". I feel like both of these were more for fans of the OT than expanding the star wars universe. TLDR; Disney isn't taking risks and seems to be playing it safe.

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #381 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:28 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

It's 30 years. They say this in TFA.
green shirt thursdays
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #382 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 am

Post by Nero Cain »

ah. Thanks.

hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #383 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:47 am

Post by hiplop »

TFA is not a rehash of new hope ffs

nothing tilts me more
third best scummer of all time
TwoInAMillion
TwoInAMillion
Mafia Scum
TwoInAMillion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #384 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:38 am

Post by TwoInAMillion »

In post 383, hiplop wrote:TFA is not a rehash of new hope ffs

nothing tilts me more
New superweapon that's shaped like a planet.
First Order instead of the empire
New desert planet
Protagonist is a nobody.
Innocent civilians are killed.
Droid convinces protagonist to stay with her.
Antagonists pursue droid.
Protaganist discovers force powers.
Bar filled with strange aliens.
Father figure is killed.
Rebels destroy superweapon at end.

This isn't a rehash?
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #385 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:46 am

Post by Ginngie »

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-force ... s-rip-off/

JJ Abrams made it quite clear that he made the same story but added like one or two new elements.
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #386 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 am

Post by hiplop »

if you read that and take away "rip off" youre really dumb
TwoInAMillion
TwoInAMillion
Mafia Scum
TwoInAMillion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #387 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:49 am

Post by TwoInAMillion »

I feel like Episode IX won't have the same "end of story" feeling as Return of the Jedi because of the likelyhood of the X-XII trilogy.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #388 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 am

Post by Ginngie »

In post 386, hiplop wrote:if you read that and take away "rip off" youre really dumb
I read it as he took the same plot and added one or two elements and called it a movie

That's literally what it is.

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #389 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:54 am

Post by Ginngie »

JJ wrote:The story of history repeating itself was, I believe, an obvious and intentional thing, and the structure of meeting a character who comes from a nowhere desert and discovers that she has a power within her, where the bad guys have a weapon that is destructive but that ends up being destroyed — those simple tenets are by far the least important aspects of this movie, and they provide bones that were well-proven long before they were used in Star Wars.
JJ wrote:So I understand that this movie, I would argue much more than the ones that follow, needed to take a couple of steps backwards into very familiar terrain, and using a structure of nobodies becoming somebodies defeating the baddies — which is, again, I would argue, not a brand new concept, admittedly
The director bloody says he's reusing material to launch his story

hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #390 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:02 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 389, Ginngie wrote:those simple tenets are by far the least important aspects of this movie, and they provide bones that were well-proven long before they were used in Star Wars.
reading is hard huh
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #391 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:08 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 389, Ginngie wrote:
those
simple tenets
are
by far the least important aspects of this movie
TwoInAMillion
TwoInAMillion
Mafia Scum
TwoInAMillion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #392 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:11 am

Post by TwoInAMillion »

Whose opinion is this?
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #393 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:23 am

Post by Ginngie »

In post 390, hiplop wrote:
In post 389, Ginngie wrote:those simple tenets are by far the least important aspects of this movie, and they provide bones that were well-proven long before they were used in Star Wars.
reading is hard huh
In post 391, hiplop wrote:
In post 389, Ginngie wrote:
those
simple tenets
are
by far the least important aspects of this movie
least important doesn't mean that he didn't do something

All I'm bloody saying

Is that he reused a lot of material from A New Hope

and he fucking said he did

is that not clear?

hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #394 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:28 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 386, hiplop wrote:if you read that and take away "rip off" youre really dumb
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #395 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:33 am

Post by Ginngie »

So you're going to deny that JJ used material from the previous movie?

Even when he said he did

Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #396 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:33 am

Post by Ginngie »

like you can't answer a simple question yes or no

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #397 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:41 am

Post by Nero Cain »

Am I being a bit harsh? like I guess all star Wars movies would follow a similar path.

hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #398 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 395, Ginngie wrote:So you're going to deny that JJ used material from the previous movie?

Even when he said he did
:|
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #399 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:34 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I mean, its not like star wars is that original to begin with. I think I'm just a bit sore that there's this big unexplained 30 years between return and awakens ( though mayhaps they'll do prequels to awakens for that time span) and that the opening to TLJ is confusing to me.

Return to “General Discussion”