Song Contest 115 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Post by Parama »

USA – Clean vocals on this are pretty solid, harsh vocals not so much. Besides that the only things that stand out are the synths on the bridge near the middle and that cool atmospheric drum break about two-thirds in. The riffs are find, it’s decently catchy, but I don’t hear a ton here that stands out too much. Still, the cool moments are enough to elevate it at least a little. (DECENT)

Western Sahara – I’m not a huge fan of this style of vocals but the smoky guitar textures make up for it, the overall atmosphere of this track is pretty nice on the whole. It’s very clearly going for a throwback style between the vocals and the organ but the production is blatantly modern, and honestly I prefer it that way? Yeah, I like this, quite a bit actually. (GOOD)

Thailand – Ahh, it’s an Adele cover. Of one of her songs I’m pretty meh on. I know these guys too, I don’t remember when I first heard of them but their youtube videos have been around forever. Hate to say it but the guy is way off-key on the chorus at the very least, sounds awful. And he definitely can’t match Adele’s intensity. And honestly I don’t know what the instrumentation is trying to do here either. Yeah, none of this works really, bleh. (MEDIOCRE)

Slovakia – I have always passionately loathed this song and I have no intent of listening to it again.

Scotland – This is the kind of song that always gets an average score from me because it’s an average song with average vocals and average instrumentation that does nothing to stand out in any way. It’s pleasant but being pleasant only gets you so far and I have no reason to prefer this over the hundreds, thousands of similar songs like it. (AVERAGE)

Australia – Yep, this is definitely a pop punk track. It’s got energy, I guess. I don’t mind listening to it. There’s not really any part of it that makes me go “oh, that’s cool” or “I’m kinda digging this” though, it’s just 3 minutes of being there and then it’s done. (AVERAGE)

Latvia – Artist image makes me thing I’m going to hate this. Ehh, nah, it’s just… fine. Vocals are okay and it’s got a decent groove but it’s a bit repetitive and definitely way too long. But yeah. It’s okay. (AVERAGE)

Mali – Yeah, this falls squarely into the category of “not really anything wrong with this but it’s not for me”. It’s kinda repetitive and monotonous, is the biggest issue I have with it. Again pleasant enough but doesn’t really evolve or change in any meaningful way over its runtime. (MEDIOCRE)

thought this would be a better contest from the first two tracks but nah it's very average so far
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Post by Parama »

Bhutan – Ehh, not a huge fan of his voice. This is completely fine besides, not really standing out for me in any real way but it’s not bad. A bit too short to leave much of an impact. I don’t have anything else to say about it. (AVERAGE)

United Kingdom – This is another case of “ehh the music’s okay but I’m not super into it and the vocals kinda bug me”. That’s like, the theme of this contest so far. Not a great theme, but it could be worse too, I guess. (AVERAGE)

Chad – I don’t even remember exactly who Chad is but I know exactly what to expect from a Chad entry and I’m never really disappointed but also rarely am I excited. This has the benefit of at least being marginally more exciting than the last two songs but also damn the production on this is muddy as heck. Can’t say it’s a bad song or anything, it’s got decent power to it but man is it generic. Ehh. I’d rather listen to this than most of what I’ve heard so far in this contest though. (DECENT)

New Zealand – Oh god, can we let these guys stay dead? A MISIRLOU SAMPLE OF ALL THINGS? God, I loathe will.i.am, sorry but he’s utterly talentless and this is just suggesting he always has been. Like, sure, this is better than the average black eyed peas song but that’s just because of a good sample that’s pretty hard to ruin. But what the actual members of the group add to this track, isn’t a lot. Fergie’s okay here I guess. Like, I don’t mind listening to it but I’m kind of opposed to its existence on principle. (AVERAGE)

Timor Leste – Was already not into this but the voice pitch shifting near the end is a huge turnoff. But I mean besides that, not into her voice, the instrumentation is chintzy in a way that I don’t like much, it’s not offensively bad aside from the pitch shifting but it’s nothing I’d ever want to experience again either. (MEDIOCRE)

Burkina Faso – Eeehhh I could see this kind of thing in a different context being something I really dig but the lyrics are offputting for me and also more goddamn pitch shifted vocals. The instrumentation is chill I guess but doesn’t really grab me and isn’t really that varied, her voice is nice I guess but eehh, I’m not feeling it enough. (AVERAGE)

China – Yep, another vocal performance I just do not care for. His voice is okay but the awkward rhythms & melodies just do nothing for me. And the repetitive piano line starts to grate pretty quickly as well. It’s only half over too? Geez. But yeah musically this isn’t bad & he has an okay vocal performance near the end but this goes on too long and never really works for me at any point. (MEDIOCRE)

Syria – Yup, there’s not a single thing about this I like. The vocal style isn’t for me, the random sounds and awkward percussion throughout are a big turnoff too. The bass is okay I guess? Like, the core instrumentation is fine though not that compelling but when you put all this other stuff into the mix I don’t really want to listen to it anymore, even as short as it is. (BAD)

ok
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:55 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Aw shit I got through half the list and forgot to finish!

Time to get on this!!!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Post by drealmerz7 »

In post 32, Plotinus wrote:Question for the people who usually submit on the last day: do you usually use most of the given time making your selection or do you usually forget about it and pick something out at the last minute when you're reminded that the contest exists (by the thread being bumped or something), or something else?
neither, none of the above

I'm just a pro procrastinator

-

wtf is Bird is the Word doing in this contest? great song, but 'too known', imo

hesistant to vote for it

wtf is Eurythmics Sweet Dreams doing here? again, great song, but WAY too known, at least submit the Manson cover or something, yeesh

wtf are The Rolling Stones doing here? one of their better songs (90% of their discography is crap)

- introducing my new crapscale! the only way to judge song contests apparently (which songs are less degrees of crap or happen to rise above being crap! if it's not on the list, it rose above being crap! or it was mine - stuff rated boring is better than crap but didn't clear itself enough to be off the craplist)

Hungary - crap
USA - crap
Syria - crap
Iceland - crap+
Timor Leste - supercrap++
Djibouti - boringenericrap
New Zealand - puketasticrap+++ (310million views? huh? this world is doomed) - first Black Eyed Peas song I ever listened to, good to know my instincts are spot on
Burkina Faso - crap
Mali - boring
Switzerland - omfg no crap ... is it over yet? geebus
Chad - boringenericrap
Greece - boring
Australia - omfg no supercrap+
Western Sahara - superboringcrap++
Scotland - crap
Bhutan - omfg no supercrap

why do I bother?
Last edited by drealmerz7 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
balance among all things
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Post by Alisae »

I submitted the thing :}
GTKAS
| here.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Post by Parama »

oh, i forgot about this over the weekend lol oops
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Post by Parama »

Iceland – This entire album is really good and this probably isn’t the best track but the last track is 11 minutes long and this one is still amazing so whatever. Right side.

Greece – This is pretty nice & chill but at the same time it’s a little on the generic side and definitely not long enough. Still, I liked it well enough. Not much else to say. (DECENT)

Djibouti – Oh, the artist image for this made me think I’d hate this but honestly this is pretty good actually. Solid atmosphere & while it’s nothing unique it’s just well-done and endearing. Probably also just fits the mood of “tired” I’m in right now but whatever. (GOOD)

Switzerland – I think all of these songs are benefitting from being really chill tunes I just happen to be listening to late at night but I like this one quite a bit too? The vocals aren’t great, a little shrill I guess, but they work well enough in the song & everything else is pretty solid too. (GOOD)

Hungary – Hmm, he’s a pretty good singer but the piano-only accompaniment doesn’t do a ton for me. Still, it’s pleasant enough and, again, really chill, so I don’t mind it. I think the piano has too much of a “church piano” sound to it is the biggest issue. Ehh. It’s fine. (DECENT)

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines – I’m skipping this because it’s a trash meme song and it’s late at night and I don’t have the patience for this.

Central African Republic – Honestly I have never liked the Rolling Stones but you can try to surprise me, I guess. The start of this made me think it was gonna be something solid but then it turns into “just another stones song”. Like yeah, it’s absolutely fine, there’s some solid guitar work, but this just doesn’t evoke much of any emotion in me. They’re like the plain white bread of classic rock. Serviceable enough but pretty flavorless too. (AVERAGE)

Slovenia – Hmm this is, kind of a mess. I dunno, it’s nice enough but this song cannot seem to figure out what it wants to be. And considering it’s not much longer than 3 minutes that just makes it seem incohesive. But it’s pleasant enough to listen to & again the vocals are pretty fine. It kinda toes the line here but I’ll be generous I guess since it doesn’t matter in the long run and what really matters is the final rankings I’m gonna decide on tomorrow. Everything is pointless. (DECENT)

naturally all the solid stuff ended up in the last set of songs. thanks, random.org
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 am

Post by Song Contest »

We're pushing the voting deadline back by one day. Please get your votes in by the end of
tomorrow
, March 13, by 11:59 p.m. Pacific time!
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:52 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Votes are due by midnight Pacific time tonight!
KidAmn
KidAmn
Mafia Scum
KidAmn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 am

Post by KidAmn »

I put this off for so long because I really didn't expect to actively enjoy the majority of this contest
And hoo boy was I not surprised
Ended up giving a meme point to the meme song there was so little enjoyable in this
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Post by Parama »

voted. only a few worthwhile songs in the entire contest and even then they weren't -that- interesting. guess i need to enter something awful again to motivate you all to send interesting music
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:58 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

I am in the process of voting now, banking on having enough time before tool wakes up to do one more listenthrough
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:15 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Iceland (via rail) - Actually ended up liking this song a lot even though I don't remember thinking it was anything special when I listened to it the first time through. I like his voice and I like the music but the part that stands out to me the most is the pacing - sometimes I dislike long songs because they're either too repetitive or they sound long and rambly and bad but I like how this song kind of hooks you in with the rises and the falls. Seems like a really good song to represent a journey, don't know if that's what they were going for by the "via rail" title but if it was than they nailed it.

USA (Shinebox) - Mixed bag here. I don't mind his voice (screaming or no) but, as weird as it as, I find when he chooses to scream in the intro to be kind of weird and kind of jarring. Like the general energy enough, there's just not really anything for me to grab onto past that.

Slovenia (Laimes Satelits) - I felt okay about this song. It sounds generally upbeat and happy but not to the point where it could actually change my mood. The background to his singing is sort of boring, but not bad.

Syria (Mr Your On Fire Mr) - Didn't really like this song. Songs like this are usually hit or miss from me. Sometimes disjointed and chaotic works for me and sometimes it doesn't; this time it didn't.

(Meme Song) - Song is amusing enough in super small doses or when you're trying to troll someone but trying to listen to the whole thing is kinda brutal.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:44 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Mali (Senegal Fast Food) - This is the song I was waiting to hear because it stood out to me as a great song, glad it still stood up. Think that there's a really interesting blend of sounds and moods here and they all just blend together really well; the thing that I think is a harmonica (but don't actually know because I don't know shit about music) just fucking works even though it's definitely not something I would think would be a good addition (like cottage cheese to sea trout) and if I had any idea at all what they were saying I'm sure it'd be incredibly catchy because it's a song that makes me want to move.

Timor Leste (Everybody Wants to be Famous) - I liked this song a lot. Don't know a good way to describe it but I think that her voice (not emotionless necessarily but definitely a flat delivery), the ridiculous beats (good beat with sound effects that make it ridiculous), and the vibe that is just a little too happy combines to make a song that is cheesy in a way that I fucking love.

Burkina Faso (Loverboy) - This song is a bit repetitive after it shifts from the intro, but I love her voice and I love the beat and too much of a good thing isn't really a bad thing. This is the type of disjointed that really appeals to me - sometimes when there's weird pacing or whatever in a song it sounds like an artist trying to be different for the sake of being different but here it somehow manages to add a more relaxed, more mysterious (?) vibe.

Djibouti (Lost Direction) - Another very solid song, but the big draw for me is definitely his voice and the general emotion of the song, definitely something that I could see myself belting out at like 3AM when it's pitch black out and I'm walking somewhere and feeling very deep and meaningful.

New Zealand (Pump It) - So I don't actually mind this song all that much but it's mostly due to nostalgia; I liked the dance on Just Dance for it and it was some of the music on the preowned iPod Shuffle I had when I was a small child, but the rap verses are bad in the worst kind of way. I appreciate the shit out of ridiculousness (so bad it's good), I like things that are hype as shit and they don't have to be good, but there are zero lines that are good or entertaining in the whole thing and he seems to struggle very very hard with a delivery that shouldn't be that difficult but doesn't do it poorly enough where it's fun, it's just... bad.

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:13 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

United Kingdom (Meant to Be) - Liked this song quite a bit. Normally find screaming in songs to be grating as shit but I actually liked it in the places I found it here; it's really easy to draw me into high energy songs and I thought this song had some pretty solid energy and I like her voice in general.

Latvia (Lightbringer) - I like his voice and I like the general industrial feel of the song, but it lasts just a bit too long for me. In particular, the part in the middle where he stops singing and starts sort of talking along to the song lasts just a bit too long and the music, while excellent, isn't quite enough to pull it out buut if that wasn't there then this would be a very solid song.

Chad (Bite My Tongue) - Not at all a bad song, but suffering from the "can't really find anything to actively like/dislike" here. His voice isn't bad but it isn't good, the music isn't bad, but it isn't good, just feels like I want just something more from this song and it's not there.

Slovakia (Sweet Dreams) - I have loved this song for a long time, but I've also listened to it many many times and so it's not really doing it for me right now.

Central African Republic (Monkey Man) - I like a lot of Rolling Stones songs, but this is not one of them. The music isn't bad but there's nothing that draws me out and don't like Jagger's performance at all; he sounds bored and distant. Guitar solo doesn't help me much at all; I don't usually like them in general but if they're in a middle of a good song then it feels like something that's earned but here it's just making a boring song worse.

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:20 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Australia (Every Day's the Weekend) - Took a couple listens to grow on me, but I definitely like this song. Lyrics are great and while I don't think her voice is exceptional I think her delivery here is very solid, want to describe it as "crisp" but I'm fairly confident that's not at all the word I'm looking for, but the more I listen to it while I try to describe it the more I like it. I don't know why.

Bhutan (Fine, Great) - Lyrics boost this song quite a bit because I don't really like his voice and I don't really like the music behind it. I like the love/hate relationship described here, think that it describes a pretty interesting mess of fucked up feelings.

Scotland (Where We Came From) - Shaping up to be another one of those OK songs - it has some good elements in it, but the music behind it is a bit flat and doesn't seem to add anything to the song and the singing sounds okay but there doesn't really seem to be a significant message or point or feeling to the song that I can grasp and that usually kills it for me.

West Sahara - I liked this song when I listened to it initially but when listening to it now I'm hearing windchimes in the background and they're ruining everything for me. It's like one of the bandmembers has an amazing personality and is really fun to be around but has not an ounce of musical talent so the band gives them some windchimes to play with while they jam out but it doesn't work. It doesn't work.

Thailand - I don't like his voice and some of the beatboxing sounds like fart noises.

Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:29 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

iceland - 7,7
timor leste - prefer the unplugged version - 6,4
djibouti - 7,6
bf - 7
mali - 6,3
switz- 6,6
uk - oh
chad - chad
china - 6,4
latvia - interesting choice of covenant song - 7,6

solid contest so far, but I might not be able to finish it. as always, I skipped all songs I expect everyone to know (monkey man, bird is the word, sweet dreams)
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:55 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Hungary (Kyzganamyn) - I love his voice and I love the emotion he brings to the performance; while it's not a song that I would seek out normally but there's something to be said for its ability to drop a big calm aura over everything.

Greece (Fade) - It's an enjoyable song; she has a good voice and the beat is good, but the song is too short to actually form an identity and I don't think that the calm laidbackedness of it really meshes with the "we can do anything we want but fade" bit at all.
'

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:10 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Switzerland (Wolf and Sheep) - I don't really like this song at all. His voice is a bit annoying, the music is the best part and it isn't special, and I don't like the lyrics at all - "jenny lost her virginity and now her life is ruined to the point where
she wants to die
" is :? at best. However, there are two important redeeming qualities here: 1) youtube comments and 2) puddles the clown singing "chandelier" is in the related videos.

Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:22 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Every time someone says the "meme song" I think they mean Pump It XD
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:23 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

I don't even know wtf that means
balance among all things
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:23 am

Post by Parama »

that's just a normal bad song, not a meme bad song
anyways given the posts in the thread it's looking like i won't actually be rightsiding, shame
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

KidAmn
KidAmn
Mafia Scum
KidAmn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:54 am

Post by KidAmn »

USA was good enough I actively sought out other stuff with the vocalist in it

Everything else was PEWP
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob