The Venting Chamber

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:52 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

people born after 1990 are 4x more likely to get cancer than people born before 1990

-

ohman, Lycan, it's nice to hear other left-handers having similar/the same experiences - the smudging! there are some pens that don't smudge as much as others but then no erasing and you're still probably going to get some smudge

I'm mostly ambidextrous, but my left hand is slightly dominant - my handwriting is atrocious with either hand but slightly less atrocious with the left, and for a lot of life people (teachers) wanted to make issues out of it or whatever and I simply ignored it all and am better off for that because I knew I had to do what worked best for me, and that was being able to get my thoughts out faster, not have them stifled for the sake of others ease of reading. I wanted to type my assignments starting in 1st grade but wasn't allowed.

the left and right sides of the brain DO function differently, and right-brainers (right brain 'controls' the left side of the body, leftbrain 'controls' right) are more creative - perhaps he simply needs to take up something creative as an outlet for that energy AND as a way to teach his brain to focus more ? Does he have interest in musical instruments? Drawing? writing?
balance among all things
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:20 am

Post by shaft.ed »

@KK, I grew up before ADD was really a thing, but I'm p sure I'm guessing I'd have had a high chance of being diagnosed. What my parents worked out with the school, was to put me into a 'special needs' type class. I was in there for two years (grades 1 and 2) and then for grades 3 and 4 I had to attend special councilor sessions a few days a week. I don't really know if this was the best course of action for me because, while it did correct my behavioral issues, the social stigma of being in the special ed program really stuck with me. But academically, and in adult life, I'd say it was mostly for the better. It might be something to think about if its an option and you are wary of jumping into medication
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:57 am

Post by MattP »

In post 50, drealmerz7 wrote:people born after 1990 are 4x more likely to get cancer than people born before 1990
First off, where did you get the 4x number? I even just searched it and there is nothing I can find that says that.

Also, what is your indicator of "sicker"? Living longer but accruing more health problems? Cancer risk is directly correlated to length of lifetime. Everyone would get cancer if they lived long enough to get it. Cancer happens because of a combination of genetic mutation (which constantly is occurring each time your cells divide because your cells need to copy your genome with each copy and there are set proportions of mistakes that occur with copying the genome. There are set checkpoints in your body to destroy aberrant DNA but they fail with a set expected proportion as well, and as you live long enough more genetic aberrations will persist and if all the right aberrations occur your cells will begin to divide with no control) and your body failing to destroy the cancer once it happens (we all have cancer happen to us during our lifetimes, our immune system is just supposed to recognize it as "other" and destroy it, but your immune system can fail at doing this because A) the cancer mutates in a way that the immune system cannot engage it and B) you are immunosupressed for whatever reason). As you get older you a) have accumulated more genetic aberrations and sequentially increase risk of having the right combo to have cancer and b) your immune system continues to weaken and become worse at detecting and destroying cancer (its the same reason older people get more infections in general, like pneumonia or flu, with those infections in general being more deadly for older people). People also are more likely in recent years to be diagnosed with cancer because we are using better screening tests for identifying a) cancer earlier and b) "cancer" that would have ultimately never been an issue during the person's lifetime because it is relatively slow growing, which ups the rates of reported cancer.
SlappyKrust
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:57 am

Post by MattP »

Youre also just picking some arbitrary thing (cancer risk is up 400%) to ignore that life expectancy has doubled

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _50_80.pdf
This is based on cohort analysis and is backed by the UK gov using mortality rate data accrued to date and mortality risk projection
SlappyKrust
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:00 am

Post by CooLDoG »

This bullshit:
https://qz.com/1242749/google-and-amazo ... potential/

my god. People are buying shit that will literally spy on them to try to get them to spend money on shit that they don't need. What the hell. It's time to stop with this constant connection to the internet and the overall creep factor of putting all of your information into the hands of mega corporations who only care about extracting money form your wallet. The sick part about this to me is that you are actually paying for this shit. How goddamn hard is it to punch something into google on your phone or your computer? Do you really need something to spy on you because you are too goddamn lazy to press 5 buttons with your fingers? Jesus christ. Can we kill all of them with fire? And can we get Mark Zuckerberger, Sundar Pichai, and Bezos' heads on pike already?
after a wank.
DirtyDishSoap
DirtyDishSoap
Goon
DirtyDishSoap
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Post by DirtyDishSoap »

In post 50, drealmerz7 wrote:people born after 1990 are 4x more likely to get cancer than people born before 1990
You could try providing sources.

tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat May 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Post by tn5421 »

In post 16, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 15, hiplop wrote:
In post 12, Thestatusquo wrote:For what its worth, I got falsely diagnosed with add when I was a kid.

I don't want to go into too many details but lets just say that the medication kind of fucked me up really badly.

I would strongly suggest getting a second opinion

Signed,
Shea
In post 20, Flubbernugget wrote:Yeah, unless he's hurting people when he puts his hands on them (doesn't seem the case in this context), you need to get a second opinion on drugging your kid.

When you get to the office, if you see lots of medication posters/ads, that's a red flag.
WIP

Return to “General Discussion”