2018 NFL Football

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2018 11:27 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 224, TwoInAMillion wrote:You appear to be wrong...

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html
so are you as offended when your neighbors leave their flag out at night without illumination?
TwoInAMillion
TwoInAMillion
Mafia Scum
TwoInAMillion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2018 11:39 am

Post by TwoInAMillion »

In post 225, shaft.ed wrote:

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.

so are you as offended when your neighbors leave their flag out at night without illumination?
I'm sure some parts of the code are more important than others. Standing during the anthem is taught and encouraged. Keeping the flag lit at night is not.
"It's official. TiaM > Nero Cain." Smocaine
Taking pre ins for Three Games At Once Mafia
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2018 11:49 am

Post by shaft.ed »

so selective pearly clutching it is
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Post by PJ. »

It's easier to pick at the part of the code he's mad about.

For instance, fans are not in uniform. Should the NFL shut down concessions and memoriabilia shops in the stadium 5 minutes before the anthem and open them after, to increase patriotism and make sure everyone is "facing the flag and standing at attention". What about bathrooms? Or is that only for fans of color that need to respect the flag? White guy getting pre-game nachos ok but black guy next to him's nachos are disrespecting the flag?
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2018 3:24 pm

Post by PJ. »

Also you're not allowed to wear the flag on clothing, so do you kick up a fit every June when forever 21 is selling American flag halter tops and shit?
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 214, BROseidon wrote:They are systemically rotten and full of rotten individuals
no
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2018 11:57 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 228, PJ. wrote:It's easier to pick at the part of the code he's mad about.

For instance, fans are not in uniform. Should the NFL shut down concessions and memoriabilia shops in the stadium 5 minutes before the anthem and open them after, to increase patriotism and make sure everyone is "facing the flag and standing at attention". What about bathrooms? Or is that only for fans of color that need to respect the flag? White guy getting pre-game nachos ok but black guy next to him's nachos are disrespecting the flag?
I'm also really curious if there is an exception for non-US citizens
Does Jay Ajayi have to do the anthem?
I guess beisbol does, but I'm p sure the guys from Canukistan in the NHL don't
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 12:09 am

Post by PJ. »

NHL does double anthem, right? Or oh canukistan up there and the on true anthem down here?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 12:10 am

Post by PJ. »

Also are nachos ok as long as neither nacho getter is kneeling?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 am

Post by PJ. »

I'd really like to know which parts of which of these rules are the important ones. The parts that are so important that they overrule things like free speech and egalitarianism(which
real
libertarians support, ftr)
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 12:37 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 233, PJ. wrote:Also are nachos ok as long as neither nacho getter is kneeling?
obv no
kneeling is horrible
standing with nachos on heart
facing the cash register
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 2:55 am

Post by shaft.ed »

i also wish we could talk about the flip side of this whole thing. Why does the anthem even need to be at sportsball events in the first place? When I go to the movies, or improv comedy, or the symphony, I don't have to do the anthem. The only other place I can think of is Woodstock. Doesn't the fact that the NFL and other leagues have co-opted the national anthem for their own national pride image cheapen it? What's next, athletes draped in the American flag being used to sell children's cereal?

And on the other hand, why are the same people complaining about government reaching into the lives and shoving things down their throats perfectly happy to have this forced display of allegiance pushed on them every time they want to relax with their favorite sports franchise? Shouldn't we be drowning it in the bath water and not signing its praises nearly every day of the year?
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 1:10 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Should, not must. It, like many other parts of the flag code, are suggestions, not commands.

For example...
It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.
"Display the flag during daylight only...unless you want to also display it at night, then just illuminate it."
(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
The flag code, is in fact, a set of guidelines. It was conceived so that the public may observe the flag using the same traditions as the military does. Obviously, many parts of the flag code are "violated" constantly...and we seem to be pretty okay with it.

Now, of course, there is no penalty to the flag code, and it is just about respect.
This code is the guide for all handling and display of the Stars and Stripes. It does not impose penalties for misuse of the United States Flag. That is left to the states and to the federal government for the District of Columbia. Each state has its own flag law.
And you might say, 'the code is clear, you must be standing, this is not open to interpretation.' However, there is an EXACT provision in the code that states this very fact.
While the Code empowers the President of the United States to alter, modify, repeal or prescribe additional rules regarding the Flag, no federal agency has the authority to issue 'official' rulings legally binding on civilians or civilian groups.
Consequently, different interpretations of various provisions of the Code may continue to be made.
The Flag Code may be fairly tested: 'No disrespect should be shown to the Flag of the United States of America.'
Therefore, actions not specifically included in the Code may be deemed acceptable as long as proper respect is shown.
The two bolded lines make my point. A) The Flag Code is up to interpretation. B) Actions not specifically in the code are acceptable as long as proper respect is shown.

As we already know,
kneeling was chosen specifically because it is respectful

That leads to the question. Why is this a debate? Why can't we just address the problem (police brutalities on minorities)?

And knowing that multiple parts of the flag code are violated CONSTANTLY, how am I supposed to believe that the issue with kneeling is that it is "disrespectful" when no one gets up and arms about any thing else related to the flag code? Where is the outrage on wearing the flag on football uniforms?

It seems infinitely more likely this is about black people protesting. How am I wrong on this?

Kneeling is not, was never not, and never will be the problem. That's the bottom line.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Hilariously though, if this issue was truly about "disrespect"...the President is empowered by the flag code to change it. He could specifically make kneeling for the flag disrespectful...or he could change the language to say that people must stand at attention.

However, this issue isn't
actually
about the kneeling so...
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 2:07 pm

Post by Wraith »

I love it when I provoke bickering among liberals and forget I did so until days later
In post 189, TwoInAMillion wrote:nope I'm not a racist. I know liberals like to paint anyone who's not a communist as a racist bit it's not true.
Ehehehehe posts like this give me sustenance.

Tell me more how the literally most mild-mannered protest against anything that has ever existed if actually deeply offensive to "some people", TIAM.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 3:54 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

TIAM isn't a liberal though :./
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 4:00 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I also have no clue why Seattle signed Marshall. Maybe to sell tickets but I don't think it makes a ton of football sense.

Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

It's probably because they missed out on some key WRs In free agency, still needed help at the position, and grabbed whoever they could. But with Dez, Maclin, and Decker still out there, they had better options so it's an interesting choice.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

you know who I'd take a flier on? Cody Latimer

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 4:43 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 243, Nero Cain wrote:you know who I'd take a flier on? Cody Latimer
off. He was apparently signed by the Giants.

Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 9:15 pm

Post by Wraith »

In post 241, Nero Cain wrote:I also have no clue why Seattle signed Marshall. Maybe to sell tickets but I don't think it makes a ton of football sense.
Seriously?

Seattle FO Dude #1: We need to reinvent this team by dumping the aging veterans. What should we do in free agency?

Seattle FO Dude #2: Sign Brandon Marshall
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 11:30 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

ok?

Anyways. I'm not sure why we signed Dion Lewis like at all. Like I guess the Titans are sticking with the same 2 back approach but Derrick Henry should be the "lead" back. If the Titans intend on doing that then I'm not sure why he'd agree to join the Titans unless the promised some 50/50 role or some such.

shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2018 12:06 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 241, Nero Cain wrote:I also have no clue why Seattle signed Marshall. Maybe to sell tickets but I don't think it makes a ton of football sense.
he's Jimmy's replacement
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:37 am

Post by brassherald »

Bold predicition 2018, the next super bowl winner will be... the Houston Texans.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:38 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 245, Wraith wrote:
Seriously?

Seattle FO Dude #1: We need to reinvent this team by dumping the aging veterans. What should we do in free agency?

Seattle FO Dude #2: Sign Brandon Marshall
Brandon Marshall will play for all 30 teams before retiring.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.

Return to “General Discussion”