This website had a pretty big influence in who I am today

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
mb53
mb53
Mafia Scum
mb53
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

This website had a pretty big influence in who I am today

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:12 pm

Post by mb53 »

Hi all.
I very much doubt anybody here remembers me. I joined 2010, left 2012. This was during middle school for me. I only completed a couple games, and flaked out of a shameful amount of others. But this was the first (and only, really) forum that I ever posted on. I learned so much about the internet, and the world, thanks to you guys and gals. I loved browsing and posting in GD and Hamsterdam. I was introduced to anime. Madoka Magica was the first that I was convinced to watch thanks to you guys talking about it, and now I have watched 400+ hours of anime. I am sure this site is one of the reasons I consider myself "skeptical, but open minded" which are two traits I value highly. One of my favorite quotes of all time was from hasdgfas.

Anyway, this thread doesn't have much of a point, I just got reminded of my "internet origins" if you will, and thought I would share. I'm happy to see many of the same names still around. Thank you all for being cool people. I might join a game and start browsing again.

To open it up to other people: have you been changed as a person by this website? What have you learned or discovered from here?

PS please don't read my post history, I know I was cringy as a middle schooler, we all were.
Last edited by mb53 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i literally need to start a driving blog, please remind me
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

same
To be clear: quack
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:44 am

Post by AniX »

It's hard for me to determine what effect this website has had on me since I've been here so long I wasn't even really a fully formed personality when I joined.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:28 am

Post by Korts »

Hi. I vaguely remember you. Nice to see you again. Yeah, this site shaped me too.
scumchat never die
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:30 pm

Post by nonny »

Hey, I recently found my way back to the site too. I was here through my high school years and then some(2004-2009), taught me a lot of critical thinking skills and nurtured my need for debate. Spending time in scumchat back in the day also opened me up to new movies and music I never would have known about, to which I'm grateful. Also understand about old posts, I looked at some of my old stuff and cringed hard.
*insert bad joke here*
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Post by vonflare »

madoka magica
Good choice
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Draynth
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:25 am

Post by Draynth »

Welcome back
It's cool to see some people who have moved on end up coming back, whether it be to just check in or to play mafia again
"just got my hands in cooking! feel free to give me suggestions. So far completed: noodle in soup, noodle stuffed clam over noodle, red white and bluedle american noodle, hot brown noodle"

Brand New, Improved, Totally Awesome GTKAS
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:07 am

Post by Kison »

Welcome back! I had completely forgotten that Forum 62 was originally called Hamsterdam.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:19 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

good to see you again mb
green shirt thursdays
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:07 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

I remember you from back in the day. Nice to see you again!
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
mb53
mb53
Mafia Scum
mb53
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Post by mb53 »

Thanks everyone <3 I did miss you
It's been a trip reading the ban thread, RIP those foolish souls
i literally need to start a driving blog, please remind me
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:20 am

Post by vonflare »

haha yeah
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:59 am

Post by AniX »

Who were you back then?
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:01 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 13, AniX wrote:Who were you back then?
an ad for moon lamps obviously
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:51 am

Post by Xdaamno »

I'm struck revisiting mafiascum how much text I was consuming, and how many personalities I interacted with.

I wonder how frequently this occurs for teenagers today compared to ten years ago.
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:59 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 14, Xdaamno wrote:I'm struck revisiting mafiascum how much text I was consuming, and how many personalities I interacted with.

I wonder how frequently this occurs for teenagers today compared to ten years ago.
OMG daamno <3
green shirt thursdays
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:59 am

Post by Varsoon »

I'm always designing setups or playing games even when friends of mine are around.
Being a part of this site has been a core part of my identity and a large hobby of mine since I joined.
I've even met up with and hung out with a few scummers.
I appreciate the people I've met here and the fun we've had together.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Nice avatar
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Maemuki
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:18 am

Post by Maemuki »

Hey, thanks for posting this. I subscribe completely to basically everything (down to the flaking, ha) you said, and I do periodically lurk here just to see how many names I still recognize. It's a lot more than I expected, so that's good!

I went three pages into my post history and I couldn't handle much more... Again, all middle schoolers are pretty cringe. On the other hand, starting to play mafia as a middle schooler with a basic grasp of English at best was pretty ballsy! I don't think I would've become so confident in my english skills if I hadn't thrown myself into the wolves like I did, so I'm kinda proud of that. I agree that the average teenager nowadays probably doesn't interact directly with people that are outside of their own social circle so I'm also glad that I got to do so.

I have to gather the courage to join a game, for old times' sake, but it'd have to be either a super slow game or a super fast one. I'm also scared that I've forgotten how to play, but it's not like I was a great player to begin with so I don't have a reputation to uphold or anything.

Anyway it's nice to see that this website didn't go the way of so many other forums, dead and forgotten. I'm glad to see that something that was so important to me is still alive and kicking <3
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Post by Taly »

This site helped my self awareness.

Playing mafia on this site helped me build confidence in my own perception and let me be comfortable in asserting it.

My thoughts and feelings are less of "this exists and I don't know what to do with it" and now more "this is what I believe, how and why".
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Post by Creature »

I learned people sometimes are dumb but not necessarily scum.
Sigh
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:40 am

Post by Vi »

I recognize every name in this thread... except maybe Taly. (Sorry :( )

I found some words overnight, so let's post them.

It wouldn't be unfair to say that I was socialized by this site... which probably explains a lot. Because of that, I think my RL behavior is more cringy than anything I've posted here :?
Despite that, I bailed for a year and a half because while this site is capable of a lot of good - and I believed in that even while I was a moderator - it's also pretty darn toxic at times and it doesn't need to be. Another contributing factor, being totally honest, is that I got tired of not telling people that my social life was on a site about arguing over the Internet where a word that can be interpreted as racially charged is thrown around freely (although I've heard zoraster has said and done things about that).

I tried to find a community that was nearly as interesting and personable as this one. I failed, and my social circle has tightened as a result. (I warned you all in advance about how rubbish I am about keeping up with people.) If I had to guess what this place's secret sauce is, it's that a site about arguing over the Internet invites people who are willing to be open and invest themselves in other conversations about whatever they please. People can be very real here, even when they say they're here for the trolling. That openness is something you usually only find in therapy groups, and a whole community with it, etc.

The people here come from several very different walks of life, tend to be rough around the edges, enjoy spear-fishing with awful puns and memes, are mostly nothing like my parents' idea of polite company, and by and large are fundamentally good and pleasant to be around (even if they don't realize it or take advantage of it). And for better or worse, I fit into this mix better than most anywhere else. You are "my kind of people". Despite all evidence to the contrary, I've never thought of this place as home... but after so much time away, I guess it was true.

I don't know if it presently is. I looked through the threads and... it doesn't seem like a lot has changed since I left. The old threads are still there and the old topics are still circulating. I was struck by how I didn't feel a need to respond to much at all, even to throw a well-timed pun in. I think I would have reached this point even if I hadn't left, which is what's holding me back from thinking that I threw away something good, but...

I guess what I mean to say in so many words is that I miss you. I don't say that to many people, so feel honored, dammit.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:02 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

aww vi
green shirt thursdays
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:15 am

Post by Varsoon »

<3
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

vi I'd play one if you played one
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop

Return to “General Discussion”