Animal Health Hotline

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Animal Health Hotline

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:48 am

Post by dramonic »

Disclaimer:
I am not a veterinarian, I am a vet tech. I know a lot, but I might be able to answer certain questions. Posting here and following given suggestions and recommendations does not replace a regular visit to the clinic. Every advice given here should be considered to have "if the problem persists, consult your local clinic" added at the end.

I will check the thread as often as I can, but as this is not
literally
a hotline, don't post here if your dog gets hit by a car, go to the ER.

That being said.

Instead of spamming the PWAN thread with veterinary recommandations, I've decided to make a thread where you can all ask questions, voice concerns, or talk about special things you do with your pet that you're curious about in terms of long-term effects.

You can ask stuff that's previously been mentionned if you want more details, or ask stuff "just in case", I'll answer anything to the best of my abilities.

(I cannot help yet with reptiles and avians)

[spoiler="Foods/Meds/Drugs":]
Things to not give to your animal (including non-food):
-raisins/grapes
-anything with a pit (you can give small pieces of fruit like apple but not the core)
-Meatwise anything too fat or that has been marinated/spiced up
-Anything with bones. Dogs are given rawhide bones as chew toys and not animal bones for a reason. Animal bones can break and perforate, or become foreign bodies. If you wanna give chicken debone it.
-chocolate (the darker the more toxic)
-artificial sugar (specifically xylitol)
-Nuts (specifically macademia)
-Any meds that aren't prescribed (duh), with an emphasis on acetaminophen/ibuprofen/aspirin

-drugs (le gasp)

Seriously, your dog on weed is only funny to you until he collapses and gets ill. And when you bring him to us, be honest. I dont care if you did a line of coke, I care that your dog ate your coke tissue.
We will not tell the cops about your drugs, we just wanna save your dog
Keep in mind that your dog is (probably) way smaller than you are. That slice of baloney is like... more than your chihuahuas daily food intake, but by God he will eat it all if he gets it.
Portion what you give and deduce it from their food bowl. Obesity is an animal plague
Bones as chews: There's a double problem of "this is too small/brittle and can break and choke/hurt my pet" and "this is too hard and my pet will damage his teeth chewing it". It's why even though there's no way to choke on em we really discourage cervidae wood chewtoys
Raw meat/Bone marrow: It'd be better to just give her marrow instead of raw drumsticks since cats aren't immune to salmonella + bone chips yada yada yada. Also size.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler:"Grooming n stuff"]
If brushing your cat becomes a hassle, it's much better to shave him (not to the skin though) than to stop brushing. A matted coat can lead to skin infections and other problems.
Cats are self-groomers, so it can also help if your cat has hairball problems to shave some off.
[/spoiler]
Last edited by dramonic on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:03 am

Post by Majiffy »

Will my cat get pissed if I shave him I'm getting tired of brushing him every week
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:07 am

Post by dramonic »

In post 1, Majiffy wrote:Will my cat get pissed if I shave him I'm getting tired of brushing him every week
If brushing your cat becomes a hassle, it's much better to shave him (not to the skin though) than to stop brushing. A matted coat can lead to skin infections and other problems.
Cats are self-groomers, so it can also help if your cat has hairball problems to shave some off.
I'm a hoot
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:10 am

Post by dramonic »

And I mean, your cat isn't emotionally attached to his fur. He might dislike the razor though, so turn it on further from him to lessen the risk of him jumping at the sound. Generally shaving isn't too bad though, if your cat likes you.
I'm a hoot
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:58 am

Post by Annadog40 »

My friends new male cat keeps peeing in places other than the litter box.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Post by dramonic »

How old is this cat?
How often do they clean the litter?
Do they have other animals?
I'm a hoot
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:31 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

The cat is three, they change the litter every day and have no other animals.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Post by dramonic »

Does the cat also use the lllitterbox?
Have they tried different kinds of substrate?
I'm a hoot
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:55 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

The cat does, they think the problem is the cat is scared.
This is my life now

dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Post by dramonic »

He might be, how long have they had him?
I'm a hoot
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

A few weeks.
This is my life now

dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Post by dramonic »

They could try installin a Feliway diffuser in the room the litter is in, it should make the cat feel less stressed in that area of the house and may make him more inclined to use the litter there. Alternatively if they use a litter with a top removing the top can help as some cats feel trapped in a closed litter.
Or contact the previous owner and ask about the type of litter they used, if that's an option.
Is he spayed? If not then he might be markin as opposed to urinatin per se.
I'm a hoot
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Post by the worst »

sometimes I have two legs, two arms and no beak.
do you have any idea what's causing this?
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:52 pm

Post by dramonic »

Please don't shitpost :<
I'm a hoot
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:05 am

Post by Majiffy »

In post 11, dramonic wrote:They could try installin a Feliway diffuser in the room the litter is in, it should make the cat feel less stressed in that area of the house and may make him more inclined to use the litter there. Alternatively if they use a litter with a top removing the top can help as some cats feel trapped in a closed litter.
Or contact the previous owner and ask about the type of litter they used, if that's an option.
Is he spayed? If not then he might be markin as opposed to urinatin per se.
Location, too. My cats had a definite preference for a nice dark and out of the way place to do their business, took a few moves around to find one they liked
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

Return to “General Discussion”