Song Contest 126 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:41 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Just an egopost
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:23 am

Post by MiniDeathStar »

*Self-reminder to listen and vote before the 17th* :idea:
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:10 am

Post by Parama »

Finland – Okay so when the percussion comes in it sounds ever so slightly out of sync with the rest of the instruments which is driving me completely insane. Like, it makes this entire feel seasick. And I kind of doubt it was intentional because the bits of the song without the percussion sound fine. Anyways, it wouldn’t even be that interesting disregarding the percussion issue but it’s borderline unlistenable in this state.

Andorra – Oh, the hollow knight soundtrack. Great game, GOTY 2017 probably, DLC mostly sucks though. And the soundtrack is fine enough but I can’t say it’s ever left a huge impact on me. This is probably one of the better songs though, yeah, even if I haven’t heard some of it ever because it’s super easy to get to the second phase of this fight quickly. (DECENT)

Republic of South Ossetia – I mean, I don’t mind this style of music but it doesn’t really… stir up any emotions either, and this is a bit long for how repetitive it feels, as well. Not bad or anything, just… ehh… (AVERAGE)

Greenland – This is a complete disaster of a song that only even barely resembles the original. I am generally not a fan of remixes in general but this is just a special kind of unlistenable. Didn’t even get halfway.

Liechtenstein – I mean I’ve been aware of this one for like a decade but that’s like… also the last time I listened to it because, it’s a joke song. That’s 20 minutes long. Ironically still better than the Most Wanted Song though. I imagine this is what alternate-universe Godspeed You! Black Emperor sounds like. Basically nothing new is introduced after like the first 5 or so minutes though so I got bored.

South Korea – I’ve seen this musical once before but I don’t really remember it. This doesn’t strike me as a particularly strong performance, or maybe just not one of the stronger songs. It’s just… standard musical fare. (MEDIOCRE)

so far all i can say is OOF
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:47 am

Post by Song Contest »

A good alternative, I will put it into the entry list.
I mean I guess this is probably better than nothing, but it's three minutes shorter than the one that was entered...
Ugh, I didn't realize that the link submitted didn't go to an actual video. I'll put this link up for now but it's a tad NSFW so I've messaged Latvia for alternatives.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:55 am

Post by Song Contest »

Found an alt link for South Ossetia/Goodnight Texas that works.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Post by Parama »

Hungary – This really the best vid you could find? Anyways it’s just… a generic euro-pop song with some folk elements. Nothing new, nothing interesting, it’s a particularly obnoxious brand of pop too. At least she’s a decent singer, but that’s really all there is to say here. (MEDIOCRE)

Macau – Probably fair to call this a little generic but having a lush soundscape behind your chill, downbeat indie rock song goes a long way towards making it enjoyable. It’s nothing I’m going to remember but, yeah, I liked this. (DECENT)

Djibouti – At first I was like “oh, it’s one of these”. Not a style I care for. Then the vocals came in. That first dude is pretty dang convincing. I liked it. Then the cello doofus started singing and he sounds AWFUL, dear lord. There’s basically no substance to this song besides the vocals so when I hate half of them and am pretty indifferent to the music there isn’t much for me here. (MEDIOCRE).

Tanzania – I hate her voice and could make it all the way through this one. Again doesn’t have much substance besides the vocals and it’s waaayy too long for what it is.

Iceland – Zero expectations of getting any decent score with this but this is easily one of my favorite albums I’ve found this year & this is one of the better tracks for sure. Especially that last minute, just so INTENSE, god. But yeah. Right side here I come.

Bhutan – This is not the first song referencing Ric Flair to come out this year and that’s… something, alright. Anyways it’s a fun enough funk jam. Not really my genre as I’m never too into music that doesn’t take itself seriously but I’d rather listen to this than the majority of stuff in this contest so far. (DECENT)

Somalia – Oh, Minus the Bear. I’ve tried to get into this band before but nothing I heard really clicked for me, I’ve never listened to this album though. This is kinda solid, I guess? I’m not too into the vocals and the guitar lines don’t quite work all the time but it’s got decent groove and I’m kind of into it. Still not a huge fan though I guess. (DECENT)

i almost forgot about this
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Post by Plotinus »

The other videos for this song were worse. The song was originally a csárdás; I don't know if you like that better or worse, but that's a bit too soprano for me. What makes me want to listen to song 100 times on repeat is what happens to the melody around the word "kérte" (end of the third line).
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Songs I liked a lot this time: Liljankukka, Sealed Vessel, Tucumari

Songs I liked this time: Boyish, I hope your world is kind
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Post by PJ. »

I'm really a big fan of Taiwan. Sounds a lot like Rancid/BTMI!
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:06 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Three days until votes are due!
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:53 am

Post by Parama »

The Federated States of Micronesia – I just don’t like The White Stripes and this is three minutes of complete nothingness to me. I don’t get the appeal, at all.

Egypt – No.

Australia – This is absolutely the kind of song that I don’t mind but leaves not the slightest impression on me. Decent singer, horns are fun and all, but I mean. This is about as generic as it gets, and it doesn’t really evoke… any emotion whatsoever. (AVERAGE)

Latvia – Yeah, this got turned off about a minute and a half into the song. Not a single thing about this style I enjoy.

Taiwan – Not a huge fan of the vocals but they don’t distract that much. And I dig the instrumentation here a decent bit. What’s up with Japanese rock bands having a good bit of math rock influence? Not complaining, just. I’ve seen it rather frequently, relative to a lot of other bands. (DECENT)

USA – Actually pretty interesting musically (and all over the place) but between the meme-y title and the lyrics themselves I have a hard time taking this seriously, which does hurt my enjoyment of it a fair bit. (AVERAGE)

Slovenia – Eehh. Folk like this is always music that I can tolerate more than I enjoy. I don’t mind listening to this but it’s not something I would ever actively seek out. (AVERAGE)

out of 19 songs, i hated 7 of them and tolerated at best another 7
why did i enter this contest
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:39 am

Post by Creature »

Wow this contest feels melodramatic so far
Sigh
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:57 am

Post by MiniDeathStar »

I voted but I didn't like most of the entries :(

Slovenia was the only one I really really liked.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:12 am

Post by Aristophanes »

I need to do this. Probably tn
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Andorra - Christopher Larkin - Sealed Vessel
Yes yes yes!
Epic music to set the mood! This is great!
The gothic feel is real, the bells and quick violins with the staccato'd percussion is awesome!
The middle slow section is tragic.
And it ends on such a mellow! Awesome choice!

Iceland - Mithras - Howling of the Distant Spaces
This is an interesting start. Intriguing even. Quite the distorted guitar. I want to hear more.
OH WAIT IT KICKED IN I DON"T WANT TO HEAR ANY MORE AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa!!!

This has been a real time reaction session by Aristophanes.

Oh god, this gets worse as it goes on. Who entered this noise!?!?
Sorry I don't appreciate whatever it's going for, but like, that's headache inducing!

South Korea - Russell Crowe as Javert in Les Misérables - Stars
I never noticed this song was in 6/8 time and I really like that revelation!
Also, Russell Crowe has a surprisingly good voice! Really like this :)

Slovenia - Auri - I Hope Your World Is Kind
Celtic flute and another gothic feel! :O
Makes my want to get out my pitchfok because there's a beast that needs slaying. A beast with a kind heart and a lady who loves him.
Tragic.

Basically it would be perfect in Beauty and the Beast!

The Federated States of Micronesia - Jack White - Effect and Cause
"The White Stripes - Effect & Cause"
Is this correct?
I like it, and I like the lyrics, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it.
His voice works for the genre well but meh.

Liechtenstein - Komar & Melamid and Dave Soldier - The Most Unwanted Song
Oh god, this is 21 minutes long...
I hate you for making me waste a vote :P
Honestly didn't mind a lot of this, and liked some of it a lot better than some songs that have been entered in these contests.
Like if they weren't purposely making it SO extra, it could be decent.

13 minutes in and they're recommending I shop at Wal-Mart on Labour Day which is...almost ironic?

Listened to it all. Wasn't so bad! Why tho.

USA - Andrés - Andrespacito
Oh no. Is this a Despacito meme?
Oh! It's not! And it's decent! :O
Solid beat and good vocals. His fastrapping is nice. Still something I find very hard to understand but he does a good job of it!

Australia - The Rubens - God Forgot
This is good stuff! I really enjoy the whole thing to the point I don't have any specific compliments towards it!

Hungary - Dankó Szilvia - Jegenyefán fészket rak a csóka
Fun stuff! Euro Techno beat or whatever I like!
I do feel like it's harder to get into sometimes unless it's got something that will grab you, mostly because of the language difference, and this didn't have that for me. It lost me when it sped up too sadly.

Republic of South Ossetia - Goodnight, Texas - Tucumcari
Solid southern feel. Follows Westerns very well which gives it a lot more depth than a lot of modern country songs.
Oh, and the heavy guitar ending is great!

Macau - Japanese Breakfast - Boyish
Oh, I wasn't sure about this at the beginning, but it's got a really nice miz between a throwback highschool dance and newer vocalization styles.

Greenland - Gorillaz - Kids With Guns (Jamie T Remix)
I thought I had 2 tabs playing at once when this started. It didn't get better.

Djibouti - The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
Ah, my own song. It's a little out of place in this contest but that's aight!

Latvia - R3HAB & KSHMR - Karate
This started out really slow and I was quite wary due to the artist names.
But once it kicked in I enjoyed it!
And quite the video! lol Did 2 girls combine into one in a spinning karate room at one point!?

Bhutan - Tom McGuire and the Brassholes - Ric Flair
This is fun! I love the sound and videos like this are good fun :)

"Whenever Ric "WOO"s, its always B flat
(Actually C sharp but who’s checkin)"
Oh my god this is fucking good! XD XD

Trombone solo sells it for me! This song is fantastic!

Somalia - Minus the Bear - Dr. L'Ling
This is a nice piece but the guitar is a bit too intense for me tbh.

Egypt - Sydney Gish - Bird Tutorial
Gah! This is legit taking Lichtenstein's spot on the list because I actually enjoyed it quite a bit but there's not enough to it to give a proper spot!
I hope someone else has the true 0 score blocked.

Taiwan - Nezumihanabi - クラッシュ (I think it means Crash)
GDI!
When the video started with her walking alone down the street I figured this would be something cute and fluffy. The guitar is so grating in this though! :(
And his voice isn't nice at all, sounds way overextended.
And like, the video has a story for sure, but I don't get it. It counts down. Spells out "You and me", "crash", Aaaaaasexsexsex", and "crash" again among the ones I picked up on but I sincerely do not understand and it flashed too fast for me to process anything.

Tanzania - Kate Nash - Merry Happy
"Merry Happy" - *starts with minor progressions*
Already hooked.

She's totally trying to convince herself she's happy now and can be alright alone. Wow!
I actually really love this! Feel this song really hard tbh.

Finland - Laura Voutilainen - Liljankukka
Gah, this deserves to be a ranking song but I don't have slots left and it doesn't feel quite enough to knock out any of the others.
I did enjoy it though!

The top 3 I voted for in this contest all deserve top spot and I an so sad I can't give it to them all!
Well done guys!
- Jingle
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

Macau -- caled stop making me give you 12s LOL
Bhutan -- you knew i was going to like this

--

Taiwan -- japan loves their seventh chords:anyway yeah this is pretty good... i dont even know what genre i would call this? Toe-adjacent? i guess it's like japanese rock in general probably
Finland -- wait, what the fuck? am i crazy or is this song in septuplet swing? that's pretty lit.

--

Somalia -- cool
Slovenia -- i really just wasn't into this, much in the way that I am not into, say, the Skyrim theme as music. That being said, the solo cello + vocal middle section is legitimately really good at some points.
USA -- some solid music ideas behind this but I don't like his voice nor the rapping nor the limp progression nor the lyrics so in the middle it goes
Djibouti -- Hmm... this song kind of grew me over time! Good vocals and an insistent quality to the instrumentation. I will not listen to it again
Iceland -- I think the atmosphere of this song builds pretty well. I really liked the layering to it but ultimately it's excessively percussive and yeah the vocals are there too
Tanzania -- i love chord movements where the middle note stays the same. however, your safely arranged, vocal-centric indie tune does not need to be five minutes with a full minute breakdown and full minute outro. i liked the chords the first 50 times. IN THE MIDDLE IT GOES

--

Hungary -- There was some legitimate fun i had with the fiddling and the foot-tapping acceleration, like theres definitely that aspect of virtuosity to appreciate
Australia -- each section just didn't tie into the others at all and the horns werent well-used imo, but it was okay? hm
Ossetia -- It dragged
South Korea -- I will say that russell crowe was better than people said he was in this, i like his voice.
Andorra -- the orchestration doesn't sit right with me at all. Middle section is alright but doesn't feel natural and lacks movement.
Micronesia -- I have no thoughts on this

--

Greenland -- is this that gorillaz band that everyone goes nuts over
Latvia -- I had to wait 40 seconds for the song to start and it wasnt worth it
Liechtenstein -- I have objections to this being an entry so even though it has greatly amused me in the past (shoutouts to 12tone) it is getting my bottom spot
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:33 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 39, Aristophanes wrote:Whenever Ric "WOO"s, its always B flat
i didn't pick up on that line at all on my listen, you inspired me to go back and listen with the lyrics

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 27, Parama wrote:Okay so when the percussion comes in it sounds ever so slightly out of sync with the rest of the instruments which is driving me completely insane
HAHAHA okay i'm not crazy, it's definitely not on beat. this is definitely a reasonable reaction

--implosion
provided
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:28 pm

Post by Parama »

voted & very dissatisfied with some of the stuff i had to vote for
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 41, Errantparabola wrote:
In post 39, Aristophanes wrote:Whenever Ric "WOO"s, its always B flat
i didn't pick up on that line at all on my listen, you inspired me to go back and listen with the lyrics
=D

The lyrics in that song are on point! Glad to have been a positive influence :)
- Jingle
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Post by PJ. »

I voted and I didn't like it. I hope I win. Or japanese rancid wins.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:00 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Votes are due by midnight tonight!
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:06 am

Post by PJ. »

Is japanese rancid winning
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:23 am

Post by Song Contest »

Actually horsedick dot mpeg is winning
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:01 am

Post by Parama »

the winner is, once again, ska
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Return to “General Discussion”