iOS vs Android

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Allomancer
Goon

Pronoun: It

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:07 pm

Considering what my next phone should be. My past couple phones have been iPhones, but the new iPhones are being made more expensive because of features that I never wanted. However, the few times I've used an Android, I have noticed how confusing and unintuitive the OS is. I am also concerned about the security flaws of Android.
"Who the fuck counts in Babylonian? I'm impressed sir. So impressed that I'm going to ruin your counting."—xofelf
"This might be the worst hydra I've seen in all of mafiascum history."—T-bone
"idk, you don't feel like an easy mislynch"—Creature

Raskolnikov
disclaimer: unqualified

Pronoun: He

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:39 pm

LineageOS
slightly deranged
"How did this game end in 5 pages"

hiplop
T-Bird Won One World

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:14 pm

Android
third best scummer of all time

Annadog40
Waiting in the Sky

Pronoun: She

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:40 am

In post 2, hiplop wrote:Android
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.

Also all of my limbs fell off, I must of tripped oh no, hope I don't fall in a bowl of boiling water, then I would drown.

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:51 am

I prefer Android for ease of use, actually, but I've never bought into Apple's "simple" advertising. Especially having used them in college and internships for audio.

If security is your primary concern, Apple will always be the way to go. Theyve got quite a good track record on protecting their IP and as a result they are very user secure as an unintentional result.

That being said, there are numerous steps you can take to secure an Android relatively easily. Turn off your WIFI and BT when you aren't using it, for example.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

GTKAS Jiffy! (Part 1) || GTKAS Jerfy (The Sequel!) || How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart) || In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

Xtoxm
EBWOXM

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:52 am

android, iphone seems needlessly expensive
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
And you and X played a really good game. I won't feel bad at all if we lose, tbh. - Jingle
Xtoxm, I’d rather we just roll scum together. - Boon

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:23 am

In post 4, Majiffy wrote:That being said, there are numerous steps you can take to secure an Android relatively easily. Turn off your WIFI and BT when you aren't using it, for example.

Also, don't put the Facebook app on your phone.

Equinox
Shot Count

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 am

In post 0, Allomancer wrote:I am also concerned about the security flaws of Android.

Have an anti-malware app on your phone. Lookout is a popular one. After that, understand the permissions that each app requests from your phone before you install it. Does that flashlight app really need access to your SMS history? Common sense for security on a typical Windows computer would also apply to an Android phone. I assert that there aren't "security flaws" on Android so much as you have significantly more control over what you do on your device than you've had on iOS, and that can make it easier for things to go wrong if you don't take basic precautions.

I would also second not letting the Facebook apps anywhere near your device.

As soon as you get your phone, enable password lock and encryption. If you get Lookout, then there are some additional security features, including taking a photo of whomever attempts to unlock your device after a certain number of unsuccessful password entries.
revise and resubmit

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:19 pm

I switched from iOS to android (pixel 3) earlier this year after I accidentally went swimming with my iphone 6s.

After an initial week or so, the "unintuitive nature" becomes pretty intuitive. I still don't love the way it does notifications (figuring out why my phone just buzzed is a constant battle) but other than that, I have few complaints. Biggest thing is if the people you're close to use imessage, but it wasn't that hard to get my family to use whatsapp instead.

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:40 pm

In post 6, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 4, Majiffy wrote:That being said, there are numerous steps you can take to secure an Android relatively easily. Turn off your WIFI and BT when you aren't using it, for example.

Also, don't put the Facebook app on your phone.

Or just delete your Facebook account. It's garbage anyhow.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

GTKAS Jiffy! (Part 1) || GTKAS Jerfy (The Sequel!) || How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart) || In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

cristian555
Watcher

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:36 am

I've never used iPhone before so not able to comment on that but in case of android, I found it quite easy to use. Android phone has some good features like infrared transmission, no touch control, wireless app download etc. it is user-friendly.

YellowSnow
Goon

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:07 pm

iphone is better if you are techologically challenged, but I don't like Apple's monopolistic policies towards their phones and high prices.

PokerFace
Too Useful

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:33 pm

If the phone is for development purposes, you want to program things on a platform that let's you do what you want, screw the apple hierarchy, android.
If for a child or consumer that generally wants a safer experience with more security standards, iPhone
Plays as PokerFace on irc
Plays as Noj on scumchat
I love to Vidge on Night 0

shEll
Watcher

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:06 pm

sOrrY cAnT hEAr YAll bROKe pPl thrU mY AiRPOdS

shEll
Watcher

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:08 pm

All jokes aside I prefer android, but I don't think a shell should dictate your decision

[ + ]

Return to General Discussion