Song Contest 128 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:29 am

Post by toolenduso »

Welp, I did not expect that. But glad everyone liked it so much! I'd definitely check out the rest of the album, unfortunately the band was not very long-lived and I guess they have one more album (EP?) but I've never heard it. Other favorite tracks on this album (All At Once):

-Window Frames
-Programs
-What Are You

They're all good, but some of them are just better than others is all.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 am

Post by Parama »

I checked out the album and it's so bizarre that the reissue removed 1. The title track, which 2. Is one of the best songs on the album

The Gabriel Kahane album was cool too, Kensington a bit more mixed & suffers from production issues pretty consistently
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:35 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 51, Parama wrote:I checked out the album and it's so bizarre that the reissue removed 1. The title track, which 2. Is one of the best songs on the album

The Gabriel Kahane album was cool too, Kensington a bit more mixed & suffers from production issues pretty consistently
It is kind of weird they removed the title track, yeah. Especially when the album wasn't that long to begin with. But my brother and I bought it from their merch table at a show and that version didn't have the title track, so I didn't even know about it until years later when I started listening to music on YouTube consistently. And by then the track felt kind of weird to me, like a rare b-side or something.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:47 am

Post by Song Contest »

Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:49 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 26, Parama wrote:Egypt – It’s certainly interesting enough for a 9 minute track, but I feel the transitions between different sections don’t work so well, and the song seems to want to make me feel more that it actually ends up doing, or that’s the impression I get from the lyrics. Also wish the female vocals were used more. But I mean I do like this a decent bit, regardless, it’s pretty solid. (DECENT)
sorry for the necro, but to respond to this-- your latter point would be exactly my one criticism as well.

this album being a sufjan-esque "retrospective of los angeles" type deal, it seems almost disingenous to me that he's trying to insert himself into the emotional core of this complex tragedy without any real connection to it. especially the whole "i was too young to die" line just does not really land at all for me.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Post by Parama »

yeah i do like the song but i think it's overly romanticizing something that really shouldn't be
i'm not super into the "white guy speaking for a black girl's point of view" the whole thing has going on but it did grow on me on relisten tbh
checked out the album too, it's not half bad
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.

Return to “General Discussion”