Song Contest 131 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Like the new proposal, seems fair and encourages voting while also hopefully shortening deadlines unless necesarry. Also tbf I think I did literally lose a song contest by 1 point to parama and I remember actually giving that entry points so at least once it would have been strategic to just take the 5.

Edit: Twice same thing happened in song contest 130
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Aw cripes how did I miss the double djibouti.

Hang on.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Post by Song Contest »

fixed
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Hey guys. I thought it would be fun to join Parama & others and share my thoughts and opinions on the songs too. So here I go!

Bolivia:

First impression:
That piano jingle really catched my ears! I love that opening, can't wait for more! Besides, it really sides with what I hear thinking of a blue sky... :D
On second thought...:
When I heard them start singing, I expected something at least... more uplifting. Some stronger vocals. Now it doesn't get across that well. Which is a shame, because I think everything else is really good about it.
Overall rating:
7.5 out of 10.

Greenland:

First impression:
I know the story of Laika the dog. If this is as a spectacular feat as that, this is bound to be good!
On second thought...:
I was like 'whoa take it easy' when they suddenly started with the chorus. I like this song, the only complaint I have is that the song could be less rock-style. That one guy is cracking his voice occasionally.
Overall rating:
8.5 out of 10.

Poland:

First impression:
Yay, that nice vibe I get at the start.
On second thought...:
I still have those vibes at the end of the song. This makes me simply forget the world. Great!
Overall rating:
9 out of 10. Bonus points for the dancing in the clip.

Hungary:

First impression:
Ooeh, typical folklore music? The opening is catching...
On second thought...:
Ghastly voice... I don't know what to think of this. Also, why is the video random pictures of flowers? Is the song about flowers? Because then the rhythm doesn't really get along with that. I need answers! :(
Still, I am not 'against' this song. I just wouldn't like listening to this, even if I was going on holiday in whatever country's language it's sung.
Overall rating:
6 out of 10.

United States of Awesome:

First impression:
When the song title can't even choose between North or South, so can't I. Bring it on!
On second thought...:
The setting of the video clip is fitting: This is just like a high school band that's trying a bit too hard to get everyone off their seats and sing along. Now the beat goes too fast for my likings and it's just a bit disappointing.
Also, I love how at 2:04, the ball's clearly gonna miss the net, but the next shot shows a clean shot. lmfao
Overall rating:
6.5 out of 10.

Sweden:

First impression:
Sweden is usually good at the Eurovision Song Contest, but OH GOD NO that representative picture!! :eek:
On second thought...:
Wait, so this isn't heavy metal? It's just creepy? Then it's good for a creepy song. :mrgreen:
Then, 0:42 kicks in

:facepalm:
These songs just are not for me.
Overall rating:
2.5 out of 10.

Norway:

First impression:
DJ Mikesh, Partycrasher... is this like Mr. Worldwide?
On second thought...:
There's... way too much autotune. I would prefer the voices even with no autotune at all in this song. Now it's like robots are singing. And it's just a party rave song at your average disco club. Still, disco clubs have good music like this!
Overall rating:
7 out of 10.

The remainder will come later.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:00 am

Post by vizIIsto »

Here's the second part!

Israel:

First impression:
The opening beat is so intense! This sure sounds like the start to one hell of an experience! And then the voice steps in...
On second thought...:
That voice is divine! Delicious! Tasty! (Okay now I'm going too far with my Candy Crush references). The beat is like we're being chased by the police or something. Sometimes the singer's voice comes close to shouting, but hey, that's singing with affection!
Overall rating:
9.5 out of 10.

Japan:

First impression:
If this song includes heavy breathing, I'm out. Well, at least it's better than heavy metal... Sooo it's just whispering instead of singing?
On second thought...:
It's actual singing. I like how there's multiple genres in this, with some rap, but also pop. And just being Japanese. Hey, this is actually very catchy! I would recommend friends to listen this, at least.
Overall rating:
9 out of 10.

Djibouti:

First impression:
Djibouti? Really? :lol: You can only see the combination of Dua Lipa + Djibouti in something like this, I guess. Dua Lipa is one of the few artists I already heard of, so I can expect some good music or a bit under average.
On second thought...:
Aah this song. I've already heard it. It sounds cooler on the radio, I don't know why that is.
Overall rating:
7.5 out of 10.

Portugal:

First impression:
Tacocat is one of the funniest palindromes I've ever heard of :D Give it your best shot, you delicious feline mammal!
On second thought...:
WHAT ON EARTH AM I WATCHING???
Cringeworthy videoclip aside, this isn't all too disappointing. It's quite repetitive, though. The only reason I wouldn't share this clip with friends is because of the clip. Not the song. But if the clip was any better, I don't think I'd share it anyway. It's just bland.
Overall rating:
5.5 out of 10.

Chad:

First impression:
Is that I think this is going to be an artistic
(master)
piece
On second thought...:
The song wasn't all too bad, until 0:39, where there's a sudden blast of... whatever that was. As if I'm walking on the beach with a gentle breeze, and suddenly a 30 feet tsunami crashes onto me.
About the song itself, it feels more of a mess than that it's well organized.
And then I heard those creepy-sounding voices come in... oh lord.
Overall rating:
4 out of 10.

Liechtenstein:

First impression:
Who are 'The Beatles'? Meh, I'll stick to Dua Lipa for now. Also, a remastered version means the original was... not good? So basically an improved pièce de résistance which could not resist? Or which we could not resist listening to? What does this all mean? I have no idea.
On second thought...:
I like music where something is happening. Here it's just one guy singing (and occasionally the rest of the band jumps in) and the same tune all song long. I know this is The Beatles, but I don't quite think the remastered version lives up to the iconicy these lyrics represent.
Overall rating:
7 out of 10.

Brunei
Bhutan:

First impression:
The picture, the opening of the song, the first lyric of the song. I think I'm gonna like this song. ... ...you expected me to say 'Sooner or later I will'? :igmeou:
On second thought...:
Ohhh... awesome! Only issue is that the song really had me at the start, but that feeling slowly died out as the song went on... explosive start, exploded end.
Overall rating:
8.5 out of 10.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:44 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Submitted my votes.

Now it's up to
YOU
, Parama, and all you others out there, to do what you always like to do with these songs: get 'r ranked! And if you're Parama, trashtalk the songs.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:03 am

Post by Plotinus »

I really liked Israel's entry this time.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:34 am

Post by Parama »

In post 55, vizIIsto wrote:Submitted my votes.

Now it's up to
YOU
, Parama, and all you others out there, to do what you always like to do with these songs: get 'r ranked! And if you're Parama, trashtalk the songs.
lol I'm done with these contests, I didn't even enter this one and I'm definitely not listening to the entries either

here's my reviews just looking at the entrants:
carach angren are awful
idgaf is the better dua lipa song but that one's okay
I've hated every fka twigs song I've ever heard
There are man man better Beatles picks
Lol I remember Aaron Carter being a teenybopper star when I was still in grade school
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:01 pm

Post by PJ. »

That Aaron Carter song is lit tho.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

I had a better song in but New Rules required this song so *shrugs*
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

viz I totally hear you with regards to the repetitiveness on Tacocat thing but that music video is great and I will fight you

Spoiler: tacocat fun fact
their bassist is Dave Mustaine's daughter

this is her bass btw
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 59, Aristophanes wrote:I had a better song in but New Rules required this song so *shrugs*
I was very surprised that new rules hadn't been entered already, I was sure it had.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:33 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Alright! Let's do this and avoid some penalties! =D
Also, vizIIsto, I'll read what you wrote after I do this myself. I like to go in untainted by preconceptions, but comparing afterwards is great fun! :)

Bolivia
Blue Sky Black Death - Absentee
This is damned unique!
I really like the intro and the singing is fun. I feel like I'm floating through space looking at galaxies when I listen to this, and it's awesome! =D

Greenland
Boston Manor - Laika
This sounds like a pretty standard rockish song that I could have in the background and never care about.
That's mean isn't it...

Poland
half alive - still feel
OMG!
This song is literally in my favourites on YouTube, and is IN MY POTENTIALS LIST FOR THIS CONTEST!!!!!
Needless to say, I love it! =D
The music is fun, the video is awesome, and the vocals are so enjoyable and impressive at spots! He has great control!

Hungary
Arabeske - Kad procvatu behari
This is an interesting piece. The vocals give it an earthy tone and the music Is somewhat peaceful.
I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it, but I enjoyed it.

USA
Between You & Me - Dakota
I...
I don't even know what to say about this one!
Like, okay, this may become a rant, so I will preface it with the fact that I actually enjoyed this song and the early 00s feel of it!
But okay, uh, I'm a Boy Scout. (Well, no longer "Boy Scouts" as it's co-ed and whatnot and my group is actually all female scouts {I'm a leader but I also went through the program since I was literally 4 years old so yeah} so I'll just call it Scouts from here out.)
This is deplorable Scouting behavior! They swear, they cheat, they steal the girl, and they TIE THE GUYS SHOES TO WIN A GAME!!! WTF!
Literally I would be so disappointed if any of my scouts did this! Where is their leadership? How old are they nyway? I'm pretty sure they literally would have aged out of the program by the time in their life this song was written about! Ang Oh My God DO NOT use your Necker as a Bandana!
UGGH!
Anyway, good song.

Sweden
Carach Angren - Lingering in an Imprint Haunting
Well, I really enjoyed the haunting sound of the first 44 seconds.
Uh, I mean, this is alright as a rock-halloween-showtune maybe?
I'm very torn.
Okay, I've decided. It's a bit much.

Norway
DJ Mikesh - Partycrasher (DJ Gollum ft. DJ Cap Remix Edit)
OOOOOO! I am very excite for this one! It has Gumi Gumi Bears vibes right from the get go!
Crazy Frog vibes maybe?
Iunno, it's great and I love it and I want to play it in a club and have fun! =D

Israel
Jeroen van Koningsbrugge - Wit Licht
Ooo a lot of emotion, a good build, and what I can only assume is a great story building over the song!

Japan
AB6IX - Breathe
Yay! Kpops :)
Honestly, what strikes me most about most Kpop and the like is the calculated production behind them. The music is made to be catchy and mass produced. The choreography is on point, always. The videos are sweeping and grand and gapture the intended mood so well!
This song does all of that and well, and I loved it!

Djibouti
Dua Lipa - New Rules
Yes, I always comment on my own song.
Okay so I submitted this song to celebrate the New Rules in this contest. I also love this song though or I wouldn't have sent it in!
Like okay, it's fun, it's bright, it's got a good message about strength, shows the power of friendship and sticking together, and got me through a really rough time when the V drama was blowing up. It's really a song that is dear to me and I love it!
Now, on this most recent listen I noticed that there's a recurring motif in the background music that sounds like a message tone from a cell phone and I noted that it gave me a bit of a happy hit whenever it happened which was...well interesting and concerning, and also impressive If intentional! I'm amazed I've never noticed it before! Anyone else?

Portugal
Tacocat - Grains of Salt
I actually quite enjoyed this! Fun song, and the repetitiveness never got to me :)

Chad
FKA Twigs - Figure 8
This felt more like an odd convergence of sounds than it did a song.
Sorry.

Liechtenstein
The Beatles - Blackbird
I mean, this is a classic, and I own the "1" album where they remastered much of The Beatles' music.
It's pretty alright and I enjoy it.
Perhaps not as much as I used to, but it's good.

Bhutan
Aaron Carter - Sooner or Later
Okay Aaron Carter, let's see what you've got!
I mean, I actually like this. I feel like in a lot of contests it might get bumped, but it definitely makes the list this time!

Like, okay, this is the first time I've gotten to the end and not had all spots easily filled. I actually havee to search for the final slot filler, which is very odd.
Then again, it was a slightly smaller contest so maybe that's why.
Also, no Parama which makes Ari sad.
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 61, PJ. wrote:
In post 59, Aristophanes wrote:I had a better song in but New Rules required this song so *shrugs*
I was very surprised that new rules hadn't been entered already, I was sure it had.
I definitely triple checked because I was really surprised too!
- Jingle
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

i had to search for my final 3 spots
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:55 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Brutal!
- Jingle
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:20 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Bolivia - 2 - this is pretty much exactly what I mean when I talk about a song's vocals feeling generic; there are probably a million dudes who could do exactly what this singer does just as well, and while I was pretty into the instrumental section at the beginning of the song, the rest of it just didn't do it for me. according to the YouTube comments, Day[9] used to play this song during some kind of thing frequently, which is neat. he's a nice guy. sadly, association with him doesn't make me like this more.
Greenland - 2.5 - this is just a good enough pop punk song, and, like, if I wanted to listen to a bunch of pop punk on a road trip and this song came up in the playlist I wouldn't be upset, but I also wouldn't be
that
excited about it. the fact that it's British pop punk is a little fun because, hey, it's at least different from most of the rest of the genre, but it's just fine.
Poland - 5 - this is an absolute bop, and I know this is about the songs, not the music videos, but this is also a top-tier music video. extraordinarily good submission!
Hungary - 1 - this just isn't for me, sorry! there's probably a version of me where I'd be like "oh this is really good" and give it a higher score but that me is a different me. that me would've thought that last song was pretentious garbage. you get one or the other but mever both!
USA - 2.5 - another pop punk song that's just good enough. okay.
Sweden - 1.5 - y'all are just gonna keep throwing this sort of music at me and I'm going to keep giving 90% of it a 1.5 at best. just because something takes technical proficiency and skill to produce doesn't make it good.
Norway - 2 - this sure is a song that happened. I listened to the whole thing. it was an amount of time spent by me. I felt emotions about it the whole time.
Israel - 3.5 - this is pretty good. the passion and intensity in this singer's voice is nice, and it carries the whole song pretty well. absolutely solid and it goes in a lot of fun directions musically.
Japan - 4 - I went to the Wikipedia page for this band, and this is what it said about their name: "AB6IX is short for "Absolute Six", meaning that the full line-up of Brand New Boys achieve absolute perfection when the five members and the fandom are together. Their name is also an abbreviation of "Above BrandNew Six" which reflects the hopes that the five members and their fans will open up new horizons for Brand New Music." I'm pretty sure that's the definition of marketing bullshit for "we thought this group of people would sell the most records together and someone at the meeting where this band was put together definitely said something about corporate synergy," but it's still a good song.
Djibouti - 4.5 - hehe I get it "new rules". anyway as soon as it got to the chorus I was like "oh I think I've heard this one before." it's a pretty good pop song! I do have one complaint: there's a bunch of sounds in this that sound like notifications to various apps I have installed on my computer. I kept thinking I'd gotten a message on discord or something but that was just an artistic decision. also holy shit this thing has 1.8 billion views. that's so many. the average human being has seen this video approximately nearly .25 times.
Portugal - 3 - this isn't bad at all, but something about it just doesn't... capture my attention in the way I'd hope. is it unfair of me to be that infuriatingly vague when assessing this? yes, it is. please address any and all complaints to my PM inbox, where I will ignore them.
Chad - 2.5 - I know a lot of people who have listened to a lot of FKA twigs music, but I'm not one of those people. this is a pretty decent song, but I'm not sure it compels me to become someone who listens to a lot of FKA twigs music. I don't mind music where the overwhelming mood is how weird it is, but that's not what makes me want to listen to music.
Liechtenstein - 5 - I'd heard this song a bunch of times before I heard it live about 7 years ago, but something about the context of that performance made it one of my favorite Beatles songs. there are certain songs from certain concerts that left deep, important impressions on me, and this was one of them.
Bhutan - 2 - this Aaron Carter song sure is a song, I suppose.

overall not too many things that were just awful but a lot of mediocre things and only a couple that were really great.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:03 am

Post by Parama »

Ari listen to this and pretend I actually sent it I dunno
https://youtu.be/FwXMxrZUytM
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:15 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Votes are due at the end of tomorrow!
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:55 am

Post by vizIIsto »

I hope enough people have voted already.

And, Parama, please...

#bringbackparama
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:12 am

Post by PJ. »

Fu k..I forgot
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:59 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Votes are due at the end of today!
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:16 pm

Post by MiniDeathStar »

I like Carach Angren tho. Unlike most black metal bands, Seregor's vocals are very intelligible and the music + horror lyrics make the sound haunting and memorable. Ofc you're not going to enjoy it if you aren't into extreme metal to begin with, buuuut since you guys keep torturing my ears with generic and repetitive pop, it's only fair if I do the same :P
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Post by MiniDeathStar »

Maybe I'll switch back to suomirock for the next contest tho. We'll seeeee.
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:55 am

Post by ceejayvinoya »

Ugh. I didn't know my song was that bland.
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst

Return to “General Discussion”