Song Contest 132 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Song Contest 132 (Results posted!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:39 am

Post by Song Contest »

Welcome to the One Hundred and Thirty Second Song Contest! Plenty of roast boar to go around.

Submit your song via this FANCY FORM!

What is the MafiaScum Song Contest?

The MafiaScum Song Contest is a competition modeled after the annual Eurovision Song Contest. It's a means to gain exposure to new music through the tastes of your peers, like it or not. Those that enter must also vote for the people they are running against based on how much they like the songs. Everyone picks an alias in the form of a country (any one of your choosing) and sends in a song that they like in order to expose it to the other contestants. After voting, they are tallied in the thread and a winner is named. No matter who wins, everyone wins by gaining new knowledge of songs, artists, albums and genres of music in the process!

List of Previously Entered Songs

How to Participate in the Song Contest:

1. Find a song that you like on any internet medium that isn't restricted or private.

2. Submit it via the form linked above!

3. Wait until I reveal the entries. You may or may not be cut (as stated at the end of this post).

4. Once entries are revealed, you will rank your top 10 countries! You will do this via a Google Form link to be provided later. The point values are as follows:
12 points - 1st
10 - 2nd
8 - 3rd
7 - 4th
6 - 5st
5 - 6th
4 - 7th
3 - 8th
2 - 9th
1 - 10th
Please rate fairly by giving all countries a listen. You may not vote for yourself. Everyone, regardless of entry or cut status, may vote, so you can still participate even if you chose not to enter or if you got cut! However, if those that entered and are accepted do not vote, they will get a 20 point penalty and be banned from entering in the next contest, so please consider that before entering.

5. Wait for results. It's that simple!

What entries are/aren't allowed?

In order to eliminate bias, certain entries based on previous performance are banned. After dozens of contests and a following of a vague "Code of Ethics" by the Song Contest population, there have been so many entries that a rule system is now in place as to what can and cannot be entered. Please refer to the list of entered songs linked above and CTRL+F your artist AND song name to make sure it isn't included in the following list.

What isn't allowed?

-You cannot enter an artist that has won ANY contest in the past, no matter how far away that contest is.
-You cannot enter an artist that has been entered in the last 15 contests.
-You cannot enter a song that has been entered before, regardless of placement. (You can enter a cover or different version of that song.) For example: You cannot enter in "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes, but you can enter in "The Hardest Button to Button" by The White Stripes.
-You cannot enter an artist that has gotten Top 3 in a Battle of the Best. For example: You may not enter anything by the Doves, as they got 2nd in a BotB.
-You cannot enter something that is not a "song". We generally interpret this term very loosely, but here are some examples:

Things considered a song: Anything created with an actual artist and song title that is INTENDED for the listener, even if it's painful to listen or even if there's nothing included (Examples: Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit, Eminem - Lose Yourself, Barney - I Love You, John Cage - 4'33, Sunn 0))) - 0))) Bow 1, etc.)

Things not considered a song: Anything without an artist or title, a video clip of something random, a comedy routine (unless it's an actual song a la Stephen Lynch), a large square wave, an animal barking, total silence not being attributed to an artist, etc. (Examples: A clip of Louis CK's Shameless, an ibex screeching, a clip of a game show, a clip of someone screaming, etc.)

I will let you know if your entry does not meet the criteria of a "song," but it should be fairly obvious.

What IS allowed, then?

-You can enter an artist that has gotten 2nd or lower at least 15 contests ago, as long as you do not repeat a song.
-You can enter an artist that got top 3 in a song contest, unless it won that contest or also got top 3 in a Battle of the Best.
-You can enter a different version of a song entered before, such as a cover (or the original if the cover was entered first). For example, Johnny Cash's "Hurt" has already been entered, but you can still enter Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt".

Other than that, you're good! If your entry violates one of these rules, you'll have until the deadline to fix it or we reserve the right to deny your entry (as if you haven't entered one at all) due to time constraints.

Voting (***New Rules***)

Anyone is welcome to vote regardless of whether they've entered a song into the contest, but
those who entered songs are required to vote
. If you enter a song and fail to vote, you will be penalized in the form of deductions from the points your song earned from other people's votes (see below).

If fewer than 75% of the people who entered the contest haven't voted by the end of the first deadline, the voting deadline will be extended, and anybody who hasn't voted will get a penalty. This process will repeat until either 75% of entrants vote or until 16 days have passed (three extensions). As more extensions are needed, those who haven't voted yet will receive escalating penalties, as follows:

-If you fail to vote and fewer than three extensions are needed: You lose 12 points
-If you vote after the first extension: You lose 5 points
-If you vote after the second extension: You lose 10 points
-If you vote after the third extension: You lose 15 points
-If you fail to vote, even after three extensions: You lose 20 points

Reserved Countries

Bhutan
Bolivia
Djibouti
Greenland
Hungary
Israel
Japan
Liechtenstein
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Sweden
USA

Deadline for entries is Friday, June 28 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.

Spoiler: If we get more than 26 entries, the 26 participants in the competition will be decided based on the following criteria:
1. First-time entrants

2. Last winner (VashtaNeurotic)

3. Current Song Contest Team (toolenduso and JurgenVW)

4. Any entrant who was cut in the period of the last 3 contests (except those cut for not voting) and has not used their guaranteed bid.
3 Contests remaining: Nobody!
2 Contests remaining: Nobody!
1 Contest remaining: Nobody!

5. Everyone else

Anyone who does not make the cut is guaranteed a spot in one of the next 3 contests.
Last edited by Song Contest on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:40 am

Post by Song Contest »

alignment is momentarily disabled, so please enjoy your left-aligned...

Entries!

Votes are due on Monday, July 7 at 11:59 p.m. (23:59) Pacific Time!

Brian David Gilbert - The Perfect PokéRap

Mario Galaxy Orchestra - Gusty Garden Galaxy (Wind Garden)

Lillasyster - Total Panik

Cuarteto de Nos - Ya no sé qué hacer conmigo

Led Zeppelin - Hey Hey What Can I Do

Dean Lewis - Be Alright

Red Handed Denial - Empire

Chris Webby - Solitaire

Knower - Overtime

Leningrad - Svoboda

Turisas - Rasputin (Bounce Remix)

ONEUS - Valkyrie

Something Corporate - Me and the Moon

SBTRKT - Wildfire

Last edited by Song Contest on Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:05 am

Post by PJ. »

ego
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:34 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 2, PJ. wrote:ego
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Post by xyzzy »

I submitted a song that's excerpted from a longer video, and I specifically submitted the video with a timestamp to the beginning of the song -- I recommend watching the whole thing if you get the chance, but you don't have to if you really don't want to, because it *is* rather long. also, it's a live recording, and there's a studio-recorded version that's just the song, but I'm specifically submitting the live one because 1)I think the live performance aspect adds some value to it and 2)I want to make it easier to watch the whole thing for folks who might be inclined to do so.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:16 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Entered a song of a composer I really wish to enter every 15th contest after this one.
Expect me to submit a song by the same artist in Song Contest 147, because their songs are my most amazing childhood memories.
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:15 am

Post by MiniDeathStar »

I've decided to be merciful this time and spare your ears the black metal (:
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

I've entered the song I was going to enter last time!

Good times.
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

I entered "chickcore"

lol.

im gonna be overseas during voting so who knows if ill get time to blast these out.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:56 am

Post by PJ. »

Overseas? You scouting more rui hachimoras or what?
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Post by Skygazer »

ego !
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:19 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I remembered to submit something
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:16 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Inb4 deadline is extended
- Jingle
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Hello?
Song Contest?

:shifty:
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Working on it. Somebody submitted an ineligible song.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Entries posted! I may be adding one more, but we'll see...
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:25 pm

Post by schadd_ »

Spoiler:
liechtenstein: sorry, i dont like this all that much. i'll probably go and watch the rest of the way through if i have to (ive seen a bunch of gif sets from this thing, he talks about big pharma at some point). i dont like the haircut he has & i'm worried that he's going to ask me to watch an art house movie and insist after i say no because its better when you watch art house with someone who has studied art house.revisit: he's still kind of failing to get a rise out of me unfortunately. sometimes i just like the names of the pokemon. sorry i think i dont like this guy the only thing he did i thought was funny was when he suggested "wet bowser"

switzerland: fun game! and the music is good. i think nintendo music had a lot more character back when it was like, one or two people who were also programmers trying to make the most interesting thing they could do with like seven bytes of memory. i dont think the modern soundtrack scenario lends itself to me liking it as much. sorry for not discussing any detail of the song at all. its fine. i have an assumption as to who submitted this. tragically it sounds a little compressed but i cant find a version thats not like that.

sweden: i liked watching the band almost play for like 60 seconds. um, didnt get an ear for this style between last time and now. the video makes me pretty uncomfortable, like, theyre just playing outside and not in an evil church castle or something. also all of them look like they've never noticed the weather outside or seen a dog

new zealand: its fine. spanish green day sort of thing. dia verde. seemed more interesting when i learned "ya" means something like "already"

finland: led zep!

aristophanes the booty: boy with lorde voice. no way "i know you love her but it's over mate" could have any emotional weight to me. peppa pig. it has the like mr. brightside lyrics that are incredibly whatever to me - doesn't feel like there's any poetic license taken and its just an unfiltered retelling of somebody's experience (and like it might not even be that). ari dude i don't think this stuff is good for you. . lol

amerikkka: yeah i guess its called "death metal." i guess i should give it points because the vocalist is in a sort of androgynous range

poland:
He started listening to rap at a young age admiring Eminem,

lithuania: wheeeee so fun. the submitter already knows i like it. im like so sold on every part of it - it says "look at genevieve" and i do!!!! i love it when people are good at playing music. it would make me very sad if their overarching goal was to make a cool youtube video .. but i doubt it.

hungary: kind of interesting. whispery russian vocal grabs the ear. the drum and guitar both track sound like MIDI to me. excited to see the internet crimes they are doing while driving. leningrad is uh a fun name

norway: the dancing is great - though it seems to just repeat 2 minutes in. don't know how the image in ties in. it has that vintage dance pop alternating-octave bass thing. at face value it's just a gimmicky remix thingy but it has a lot of character though i'm having trouble placing where it comes from

japan: very often songs that use a I-flatVII-flatVI thing will give me a distant feeling they were written by aliens. um, i liked the kpop song from last time better. this is kind of boilerplate - i mean every song kind of is but idk when i heard it use this rhythm in the synth i was like, ok whatever. it switches between drum beats a lot but in a way that feels less fun and eclectic and more incoherent, as though it doesn't really matter which one they're using.

iraq: all 5 of those dudes are pretty clearly annoyed at my use of the word "marginalized." "the reasons like seasons they constantly change" wow! god i might have to give points to this ughghhgghhhhhghg. brief vocal harmony in the chorus that was ok........ lol

bhutan: liked this album! wildfire wasn't a top track for me but its still a jam. vocalist is really tangy, really like the "heee-eeeyyyy yeaaaeeeyy" with high reverb & backing vocal. there's just a lot of little nice things the producer does to make the singer more interesting, which i would describe as "Nice" and "Polite"
Last edited by schadd_ on Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:51 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Alright, another Song Contest, let's share my opinions on all the songs again! Starting with...

Liechtenstein:

First impression:
Oh my god look at that cat!! :] But if this really is a rap about Pokémon, I might just stop after 10 seconds.
Reminds me of...:
Not Pokémon. I might not know a lot of Pokémon, but this is not Pokémon. It reminds me of someone that tries rapping for the first time and just blabbers random words that mean nothing. Which is... most of today's rap.
Overall rating:
3 out of 10. Just no.

Switzerland:

First impression:
In case you're not sure: yes this is my song. Is it a song? Yes, it is, because it's music. I had my first impression when playing this game for the first time, and this song blew me off my seat back then. It was some 6 years ago, and I loved the game.
Reminds me of...:
My childhood. This game was probably the game in particular that got me into hardcore gaming. Before that, I just played some games once every so often, but I usually did some fancy writing, drawing, and physical games and such for the most time. Now I'm an addict. Thanks, Nintendo.
Overall rating:
9 out of 10. I mean come on, if I were to rate one of my own submissions anything lower, then why would I submit it? :?

Sweden:

First impression:
At least it's not black metal
BANG BANG RAAAHHWRR
. If I can trust MiniDeathStar...
Reminds me of...:
Those types of songs you usually hear in movies when there's a car chase.
Also, that singer is not going dope on the song? It's still cracking his voice... not a favorite.
Overall rating:
5.5 out of 10.

New Zealand:

First impression:
Hey, it's summer! Let's listen to a summer song! I'm in the mood for this... don't submit this in the middle of February.
Reminds me of...:
All those Spanish or Portuguese songs we hear on the radio more and more often during summer break. It's like we link Spain and Portugal with everything that's hot, and joyful, and pleasing. But for me, this is just, how to put this, 'another song'.
Overall rating:
7 out of 10.

Finland:

First impression:
Our friends of Led Light Hindenburg. The first 10 seconds got me smiling. :D
Reminds me of...:
Hippie America? Oh, and the annual Top 2000 I listen to during the back end of each year, with all the best songs. It has a lot of classics from this time high up the charts.
Overall rating:
8 out of 10.

Djibouti:

First impression:
Which song with 'Alright' in the title is this one? A cpl months ago there were like 4 or 5 songs that were all titled 'Alright' or 'Be Alright' in a matter of weeks. They were all good to listen to though, so let's give this one a spin!
Reminds me of...:
This was the 'Be Alright' song I was thinking of. It reminds me of someone I wanted to stay in touch with because I liked them. Just a few days ago, we said each other our last words. I don't think I'll speak with them again, but I will always keep thinking of 'em... so sad. r.i.p. my self-confidence.
Overall rating:
9 out of 10. This is kickin' awesome!

United States of Awesome:

First impression:
This is not the quality I was used to get from USA. It's awful.
Reminds me of...:
Still awful.
Overall rating:
3.5 out of 10.

My parents wouldn't allow me to listen to that last song. Still better than a dumb PokéRap though... that's kind of the main point of this whole review.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:26 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Spoiler:
Liechtenstein - i liked this, i approve. it doesnt have relisten value for me, but i enjoyed watching it once. 4/5
Switzerland - i think this would feel better with the game scenery to associate it with, but it's a pretty decent video game track. 4/5
Sweden - could do without the full minute to get started, but it gets good. i like the vocals. 4/5
New Zealand - doesnt do a lot for me, but its alright. the backing music present in the majority of the track is nice. 2/5
Finland - led zeppelin have never really done anything for me. 2/5
Djibouti - good start, i like his voice. backing music to go with is a bit on the dull side. 3/5
USA - good guitar. good vocals. yep. the soft vocal parts let it down a bit, but this can have full marks. 5/5
Poland - the rapping is good, the repetitive backing track isnt. 2/5
Lithuania - boring all round. 1/5
Hungary - vocals are ok. 2/5
Norway - i love the thumping bass throughout this track. the pic is because i had to look up the band this was a remix of. with these remixes, i'm not really sure what to put as artist. like, is the youtube user "DJ Smile" the artist, or is it the band?
Japan - this is pretty catchy. 4/5
Iraq - too dull. 2/5

it wasn't a struggle to score points to 10 different songs, so this was a good contest.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:29 am

Post by PJ. »

I hope you guys listen to my song when tool posts it later =(
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:30 am

Post by Plotinus »

I will. I almost voted and then instead i wrote down my preliminary votes so that i could wait
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:38 am

Post by Aristophanes »

I will refrain from listening until all songs are up so none get a biased ranking :)
- Jingle
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:40 am

Post by PJ. »

This was real funny

This is meh

This is weird

I dig this surprisingly

Zeppelin yawn

544m spins on Spotify dear lord.

Where do you find new metal core at, peg? This is fun. Digging the female vocalist

Weehaw, no thank you. Oh man "molotov flow" hahaha, I should of turned it off before. Oh man. This guy definitely calls out a bunch out a bunch of weird dudes, including a dead dude?

I'm okay with this, but I wish it has a more creative break beat part. Maybe some glitch or something. Maybe fuck her vocals up. Something more interesting.

What a weird car commercial.

Reminds me of becky lynch.

I feel like I hit play and blacked out

When did something corporate decide to sound like this? Bad decision. I liked them better when they were all American rejects rejects. There was definitely a girl in my high school that loved these guys.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:45 am

Post by Xtoxm »

oh shit theres another coming? i already voted
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:01 am

Post by Song Contest »

Bhutan has been added, please listen to it before voting!

(For those who have already voted, you can always re-vote before the end of the contest and I will take the most recent ballot from each person)

Return to “General Discussion”