Song Contest 133 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 44, Formerfish wrote:How do you guys pick your entries?

I usually go for something that has been stuck in my head for a bit and I dont hear many people talking about, or like a super deep cut of your favorite track from a famous artist or group that not many people know about.

I like being exposed to new stuff and have taken some heavy shit for stuff ive posted, but its always fun to see who votes where when what is submitted is.
mostly I pick songs that I have wanted to loop over the last few weeks. Youtube algorithm is nice for this because it notices when you do this and keeps those songs in "My Mix", so I tend to just skim there. And then I've just learned from experience to filter out stuff that requires really dedicated listening and/or is super-simple musically and entirely driven by the lyrics. Things like Haruka Nakamura's "SIN" and John Prine's "Sam Stone" are good examples of songs I adore but wouldn't submit.

Or to put it another way, I don't have any special formula for "oh, this is a GOOD song for song contest" - I just pick songs I like - but there are definitely some BAD songs for Song Contest I will veto. But luckily, the kind of song you want to loop in the background while you do things tends to be the best kind for the contest, so it usually just works itself out.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:37 am

Post by Parama »

i guess it's time to rabble
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:32 am

Post by vizIIsto »

K
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:37 am

Post by vizIIsto »

In post 44, Formerfish wrote:How do you guys pick your entries?

[...]
There's usually plenty of good songs that I can pick from. I keep them in my database. It's called 'the Netherlands'. :wink:
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:39 am

Post by vizIIsto »

Yeah whatever I probably shouldn't have shared my strategy to being successful (bcuz so far, I'm being pretty successful) with all you guys. Oh well.
There are enough stellar Dutch songs anyways, so it's not like I'll run out of great songs soon if you were to also submit a bunch of songs by Dutch artists all of a sudden.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:48 am

Post by Parama »

"i've been listening to this recently and this song might do pretty good i guess"

actually the song i sent isn't my favorite off the album but it's close & it's been a universal constant that both music critics I follow & friends I've shown it to all like it. last place. right side
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:54 am

Post by Song Contest »

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:12 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Entries posted! Apologies for the delay.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Post by Skygazer »

Spoiler:
Latvia (NF - The Search)

Intro is cool and spacey. Ufh I don't like the beat though. Sounds like a weird mixture of like Hanz Zimmer and hip-hop? Not digging the vocals; not sure if it's his timbre or like the mix? The beat just sounds really generic between the generic movie soundtrack sound and the generic trap sounds. Idk, not my thing aesthetically.

Brazil (Os Mutantes - A Minha Menina

For some reason the guitar line reminds me of like a car commercial or something. Sometimes the vocal timbre bugs me but like I dig this track a lot.

Liechtenstein (William Shatner - Bohemian Rhapsody)

Nice meme. I prefer Leonard Nimoy's music career, though.

Switzerland (Kate Higgins - Jump Up, Super Star!)

Fun track. Lots of swing/jazz tropes arranged in a fun way. Not sure if there's a lot of artistic merit because of the reliance on the tropes but it's fun sounding especially in the context of a video game.

Sweden (Suvi Teräsniska - Jäätkö kanssain valvomaan?)

Like a Swedish Hallelujah. The distorted guitar sounds really 80s to me. Like this whole thing sounds like an 80s power-ballad. Oh god, that key change was so abrupt. Not really my thing I think.

Libya (Emery - In a Lose, Lose Situation)

I can't tell if this is going to be like indie or metal. Oh never mind it's metal. Idk, in the heavy parts the vocals feel like kind of subdued in comparison to the guitars/drums. The synth kind of sticks out weirdly to me as well. Okay there's screaming and dissonance now. I feel like the dissonant distorted guitars would sound better if they were like clean/acoustic and reverberent. Like some of the harmonies are cool I just don't dig the timbres/mix I think but that's a genre thing.

USA (Wired For Havoc - Safely Sleeping)

Hmm. Interesting bass tone. I feel like I'm drowning in reverb right now. The vocal filtering (autotune? vocoder?) in the softer part is pretty interesting. Idk it doesn't do much for me in terms of song-writing but it feels like they're making interesting mix choices. Oh now there's screaming. Eh. It feels like a weird mix of like Owl City and like some screamy band.

Norway (Spectralizers - Let Go)

EDM! Idk this also just doesn't do a lot for me. Some of the glitchy sounds are cool but like the drums/lead are just kind of very generic EDM to me in like a 90s sort of way? :/ That kick in the heavier parts is just kind of like obnoxious to me too but I'm very picky with drum design stuff.

Bolivia (Lucius - Eventually)

Cool cover. Don't think I've listened to much Tame Impala. Production-wise it has some neat ideas, also the arrangement is like kinda neat. Probs my favorite thing so far? Why does the record say nudes in the video? A mystery.

Poland (Bjarte Ylvisåker - I Will Never Be A Star)

Why does this remind me of like a Disney musical where like he'll like have a redemption arc and become famous or something. Okay this is funny and has some good song-writing/production stuff. "I spin a pen around my thumb" made me laugh. This had like a pretty good energy build-up too. The shouting part right before the end wasn't that good; idk. Reminded me of Lonely Island or something. Why is most of this video me?

Hungary (Letu Štuke - Minimalizam)

Oo. His vocals are kind of like too forward in the mix/loud imo but I'm into the song. Feels like a nice 2000's indie song I would've listened to as a kid. Oh my gosh that reverberant sample was cool and unexpected. Both of the spellings of reverberant I used in this post show up as misspellings and I'm too lazy to look it up rn. The oldie samples are back, neat!

Egypt (Car Seat Headrest - Sober to Death / Powderfinger)

My friend has a band that has an extremely similar name to Car Seat Headrest and if you google their band name + the word 'band' you just get results of this band. They make similar kinds of music too. Pretty good song, reminds me of like 60s music in some of the song writing with like modern indie aesthetics. I dig this song I guess. Sounds kind of dad-rock-country to me at times the longer it goes on. Oh and it's pretty long aaa idk.

Macau (The Marías - Cariño)

Neat.Chill. Oh my gosh that vocal production. This is good!! Why have I never heard of them before? I dig this a lot. Ugh they're playing in Philly at this very moment and I'm missing it.

Portugal (Olympia - Shoot To Forget)

Oo! Some very interesting/asymmetrical phrasing in the verses. This is also good. Neat!! I dig the background vocal line thing. Pretty good production imo.

Sealand (K's Choice - Everything for Free)

The light phaser effect on the vocals in the beginning isn't my thing. Oh neat more late 90s heavy music. Idk this isn't really my thing I don't think. The chorus's random harmonic shift is like kind of jarring but it's neat they tried something different for the chorus?

Macedonia (The Oh Hellos - Bitter Water)

Is this The Lumineers? The woah-oh-oh reminds me of that folksy pop trend thing that got super popular. Oh yeah it basically does fall under that trend. It's pretty interesting though considering that? Reminds me of like Appalachia or like WVA which I need to go hiking/camping out there again soonish. Idk doesn't do a lot for me but some parts sound like they had thought put into them!

Costa Rica (Soul Coughing - Super Bon Bon)

There's like an aesthetic mismatch between the drums and acoustic bass that I'm digging. Reminds me of early Beck for some reason. I dig the beat I guess. Not the biggest fan of the vocals some of the parts remind me of like Korn or Limp Bizkit or something like that idk if that's accurate or just my brain making that association for some reason.

Iceland (La Dispute - Rhodonite and Grief)

Dig the guitars/drums. Not the biggest fan of the vocalist. Like the brass trills in the background at times. Reminds me of a cheesy song my friend was really into for like a couple months.

Bhutan (Kaytranada - Dysfunctional)

Digging the beat. This is fun! Very well produced too. Pumping from the side-chaining might be a little too excessive at times? But I like the bounce from it. The bass is cool too.

Japan (Stray Kids - MIROH)

Idk. Feels like generic loud electronic music. The first half of the intro (of the song not the video) is aesthetically pleasing to me at least until it starts building up, not much else is.
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Post by Formerfish »

I can dig it:
Latvia- NF- The Search
USA- Wired For Havoc - Safely Sleeping
Libya- Emery - In a Lose, Lose Situation
Iceland- La Dispute - Rhodonite and Grief
Portugal- Olympia - Shoot To Forget
Sealand- K's Choice - Everything for Free
Poland- Bjarte Ylvisåker - I Will Never Be A Star
Sweden- Suvi Teräsniska - Jäätkö kanssain valvomaan?
Bhutan- Kaytranada - Dysfunctional

S'ok:
Costa Rica- Soul Coughing - Super Bon Bon
Macedonia- The Oh Hellos - Biter Watter
Liechtenstein- William Shatner - Bohemian Rhapsody
Bolivia- Lucius - Eventually
Hungary- Letu Štuke - Minimalizam
Norway- Spectralizers - Let Go

Not my cup of Tea:
Japan- Stray Kids - MIROH
Macau- The Marías - Cariño
Egypt- Car Seat Headrest - Sober to Death / Powderfinger
Switzerland- Kate Higgins - Jump Up, Super Star!
Brazil- Os Mutantes - A Minha Menina
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:33 pm

Post by Parama »

Costa Rica – Oh no, this is the gross 90’s. This is just like a bargain bin ripoff of RHCP. I don’t know why I wouldn’t just listen to RHCP if I ever wanted to listen to this sound, which I don’t. (MEDIOCRE)

Sweden – Oh, yeah, this is definitely a pretty solid power ballad right here. Doesn’t really mean anything to me since I don’t understand the lyrics but there’s also a chance knowing what the lyrics mean could make it worse too. We’ll settle at “I didn’t find it especially noteworthy but I did enjoy it.” (DECENT)

Hungary – With how many little things and samples going on in this song that there are, it’s amazing how completely generic it ends up coming out sounding. Like it’s vaguely pleasant. A lot of the samples are actually kind of intrusive and annoying which pushes this slightly more to the negative side of average than positive, but it remains average all the same. (AVERAGE)

Libya – Honestly I like the backing vocals on the chorus more than I like the actual singer here. I think he’s the real letdown of this one, that and the fact that the music is really pretty standard for the genre, but it’s… y’know, s’alright. (DECENT)

Bolivia – Covers are a risky entry at any point in time because if you tell me it’s a cover then it’s got to both be good on its own and feel like it deserves to exist in comparison to the original. I can tell you for certain this is incredibly bland and safe on its own, would work better if it dropped the percussion and only had one voice, make it more of a singer-songwriter thing, but then I listened to the original and it’s just way more striking and unique than this generic indie folk song they turned it into here. So I don’t really see any reason this needs to exist, thus I don’t feel like it’s worth rating.

Latvia – NF’s entire career is like doing the reverse of that “take a song and make it a slow dramatic movie trailer” thing, he takes movie trailer songs and raps over them about how woke he is or how emotional he’s feeling. There’s this veneer of fakeness to all this stuff that I can’t really get on board with but at the same time I have to admit I prefer what he’s doing with rap to the two hundredth generic trap rapper. Genre still isn’t really my thing in general though, so. (AVERAGE)

Japan – I think this has the same chords as Kesha’s Die Young, which I’m only thinking about because I heard it again yesterday. I’m actually pretty sure the whole K-pop phenomenon is generated by nostalgia for the late 00’s/early 10’s style of dance-pop that these bands have basically brought through the entire generation and there’s probably some research paper out there about this. Anyways I just have never been partial to this specific sound and while they do it well enough I don’t get much out of it. (AVERAGE)

Norway – I just don’t understand people who listen to dance music like this outside of, like, clubs or dance floors. I don’t understand what value it has on its own or what musical enjoyment you get out of it. It’s not like it particularly sounds awful, it’s less egregious and obnoxious than plenty of other similar tracks I’ve heard, but it isn’t particularly distinct or meaningful in any way either. (MEDIOCRE)

Macedonia – Welcome back hito! Turns out I’m still not a huge fan of most of your music :V I dunno, songs with this level of twang are rarely gonna do a lot for me, and while I dig some of the swell this gets towards the end, I don’t really find it gripping enough to outweigh the stuff I’m not really much a fan of. It’s probably the best thing in the average tier so far though, at least. (AVERAGE)

Bhutan – They’re all pretty decent performers but I don’t find the melodies that sticky and I’m never really a fan of percussion-heavy beats like this one either. It mostly just ends up sounding a bit meandering and repetitive, I don’t really get any sense of movement from this track between the disjointed melodies and lack of any notable beat change. (MEDIOCRE)

this is the only reason you want me here right
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

itlepip
itlepip
Mafia Scum
itlepip
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:57 pm

Post by itlepip »

Spoiler:
NF - generally pretty generic rapping over a beat which is sort of overdramatic. I didn't dislike anything here but nothing great 5/10
Os Mutantes - The sound quality wasn't really that great. Sounds like music I would here in the background of a restaurant, with some really heavy guitar noises which don't really fit for me. The singing/harmonies were quite nice. 5.5/10
William Shatner - :| 2/10
Mario - Really nice song for the game, doesn't work as well by itself, still a nice song 7/10
Suvi Teräsniska - super nice, I wish the backing was a bit subtler but amazing vocals, wish I understood the lyrics. 8/10
Emery - Opposite problem to the above songs, really nice instrumental, but mediocre vocals. I kinda hate screaming so 4/10
Wired for Havoc - Why did the song explode like it did halfway through, it was decent before that 3.5/10, would've been much higher before the middle.
Spectralizers - really generic EDM stuff, feels like someone is hitting me with the beat 4/10
Lucius - Nothing really stuck with me, but nice tune, 6.5/10
Ylvis - Really nice until the drop 6/10
Letu Štuke - kinda too long for a stripped down song in a language I don't understand. Ending was kinda cool 5.5/10
Car Seat Headress - I feel like I recognize this band, anyway my favorite track so far, nice indie song 8.5/10
The Marias - Super nice song, one of the songs that totally loses you in the song. 8.5/10
Olympia - this might get stuck in my head at some point and go wayy up, but right now a solid 7/10. I might listen to it again, but I'm not sure I want to.
The Oh Hellos - The start of song was interesting with the banjo and the female vocalist. It definitely needed to do something to elevate it over a standard folk song, but the choir was not the right choice. Really unclear what this song wants to be, but is generally fine 7.5/10
Soul Coughing - Feels really close to a really classic track but the things that it is missing take a lot away from it. 5/10
La Dispute - Starts off really good, I have a soft spot for talking songs. The screaming is much worse than the talking, really don't want to listen to it again due to that, 5.5/10
KAYTRANADA - has a very nice groove, again seems really close to a song I would like but not quite there, everything in it seems to fit generally okay with the other pieces 7/10
Stray Kids - Decent dancing song I guess? There are way better songs that hit this exact groove though, 6/10.
Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place.

"Show him the fucking bread"
-Ether June 12, 2016, at 11:14 pm EST
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Sealand not available in my country because Sony owns the song and doesn't allow me to watch it.
At least, that's what I found 'content by SME' meant.

Here's an alternative link
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Also same thing for Bhutan's entry. It's Spotify, and I don't have Spotify, so here's another alternative link
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Post by Parama »

it's free to make a spotify account
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:30 pm

Post by xyzzy »

it's only free if you don't mind giving more of your personal information to Mark Zuckerberg. I've specifically avoided creating a Spotify account to limit how much of my personal information Facebook has. (they still have tons of my personal information, of course, but why intentionally add to what they collect on me?)
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Post by PJ. »

You can just sign in through Facebook, problem solved, 0 more info to the Zuck
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:48 pm

Post by PJ. »

Also, limiting your online footprint is a fool's errand
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

In post 66, PJ. wrote:You can just sign in through Facebook, problem solved, 0 more info to the Zuck
But then I need to make a Facebook account... :igmeou:
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Also, if I found an alternative link which is on YouTube and I prefer YouTube, then I can watch that, right?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:53 pm

Post by PJ. »

Don't care, honestly but I'm probably going to be only linking from spotify cause it's mega easy for me, especially if it's a foreign language song.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:17 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 70, PJ. wrote:Don't care, honestly but I'm probably going to be only linking from spotify cause it's mega easy for me, especially if it's a foreign language song.
I found a YouTube version myself. Might not look on YouTube in the future...
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:40 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Spoiler: reviews
Latvia - Hmmm...I don't mind NF but like most of his songs I found that his songs go for an edgy feel while lacking enough of an edge to justify it. It also gives me Eminem vibes but in a way that doesn't nearly match up. Still I at least remember it. 6/10

Brazil - Not sure if it's the audio quality or not but I did not like this one and at times it just hurt my ears. 2/10

Liechensterin - So William Shatner has some bangers (his cover of common people is legit amazing but has already been entered). This is not one of them but I did laugh a bit at it and bohemian rhapsody is always listenable, but that's as far as I go. 3.5/10

Switzerland - Eh it's alright, I like the beat and the Mario lyrics and I can bop to it, but not quite my thing. 5.5/10

Sweden - Nice voice but just too slow for me to enjoy and remember it. Mostly just not my thing. 4/10

Libya - Very american rock bandy but like...not in a way I enjoy. I swear I've heard 1000 songs that follow this same kind of pattern and sort of shouty chorus. Very forgettable. 3.5/10

USA - Was decent until they turned into screamo. 2/10

Norway - If you like EDM this is for you. I am not big on EDM but at least appreciate it, though I don't know how to distinguish it from literally any other EDM song. Kind of reminds me of the tetris theme tbh. 5.5/10

Bolivia - For some reason while this one is sort of slow in a way that makes me find some songs boring, this song I find to be actually really soothing and relaxing. It's kind of really nice. 7/10

Poland - So...I love Ylvis, they're a great group and I wanted to make sure the first exposure to their sort of comedy songs was not the Fox, because it really confuses their reputation. Though this also isn't exactly Ylvis, this is their brother (hence why I listed it under his name since this is a Ylvis-esque song without quite being Ylvis). But anyway I love so much about this song, from it being a legit great song to the pen trick to the joke about him never being a star in a song that goes viral. If you like it check out other songs actually by Ylvis such as the Cabin, Old Friends, and ofc Stonehenge.

Hungary - All right song. I like the beat quite a bit though the harmonica is a bit hard to take sometimes, but it's still low key enough that I like it. 6.5/10

Egypt - Yeah...just kind of found this to be a boring slog. 2/10

Macau - Can really hear the singing too clearly, the beat is dreamlike but it just doesn't quite have enough of a pop for me. Still it's alright. 5.5/10

Portugal - So at this point in the song contest I was worried because I hadn't quite found a song in the song contest I could fall in love with, and usually I have something I really like by this point. And then this one came on and I loved it, it's just very upbeat and kind of mysterious in a way I liked. Not gonna be my favorite but definitely was a turning point for me. 8.5/10

Sealand - 90s rock...like real 90s rock. I love 90s rock and I loved this one. The tempo, the voice, the inflections, it's just all so perfect for me. This song practically hypnotizes me and yeah. 9.5/10

Macedonia - Very folk rock/mumford and sons esque, which is just a genre I really enjoy for reasons. Not my favorite by any means but it's very very lovely. 7.5/10

Costa Rica -DAMN! 90s pseudo-rap song with a great beat and honestly a very memorable chorus. Like this is just sooo me and so dancable. Definitely could see me listening to this like anywhere. It starts off pure awesome and continues. 9.5/10

Iceland - It's a parama song, which means that it's quite good but not exactly my speed. Dislike the yelling but the music is just soooooooooooo chill. 7/10

Bhutan - I dig this, I really dig this. Can definitely see me dancing to it or just walking down the street listeing to this so yeah, I enjoyed it quite a lot. 8/10

Japan - Ugh this is a K-pop song, but I am incredibly suscpetible to good k-pop songs and this is one of them. This song is pretty good to start off but then the beat drops and the chorus begins to come through and it's just soooo good and dancable. 9/10
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:00 pm

Post by Parama »

Portugal – It’s like if an indie rock song forgot to have any flavor or personality to it. I’m sitting here trying to think of things to say about this featureless nothing and I just don’t have any. It’s absolutely “fine” in the sense that it doesn’t offend in any way but that’s the closest to a compliment I can scrounge up for it. (AVERAGE)

Macau – I dig the jazz touches around the edges of this and the generally chill vibe. I dig a bit less the incredibly washed-out sound of her voice, it sounds too distant from the sound of the instruments and mutes her performance. It’s like her voice is coming from an old gramophone while the rest of the song plays on modern speakers. I also think sometimes there’s a bit too much going, like dropping a guitar line would enhance the overall atmosphere. Despite the gripes I still did enjoy this a fair bit, but I suspect it won’t hold up as well on relisten. (DECENT)

Poland – Oh god this dead meme. Or apparently there are several brothers and this is the one not in Ylvis. Anyways this is a comedy song that can’t be listened to in a serious context, so. It -sounds- fine enough I guess, if not a bit generic, but I don’t see any reason to listen to this as, well, a song. I didn’t really watch more than scattered moments of the video either, if that’s supposed to help give it context. (MEDIOCRE)

Brazil – Like I understand that this song is over 50 years old but that electric guitar sound is friggin’ disgusting. And besides that, well, this just isn’t a style I care for. I’m not going to subject myself to the entirety of this when less than 2 minutes can tell me it won’t be anywhere close to getting points.

Switzerland – Mario Odyssey was a pretty great game and in context this song works really well! I wouldn’t listen to it on its own, for any reason. Like, it’s a video game theme song, and one crafted specifically for the game. Sure, it’s a fine enough song on its own but how referential the lyrics are is pretty distracting and it’s intentionally going for a very standard interpretation of big band music (w/ the donkey kong theme in there to make it more Mario-esque) but like. I just get frustrated with submissions like this and worry y’all don’t listen to enough music outside of games. (AVERAGE)

Sealand – This is very 90’s too but not, like, the lame 90’s that aged about as well as roadkill. Nothing about this is especially noteworthy, but it’s all just solid. Solid vocal performance and kinda sticky melodies to accompany it, decent guitar work, especially in some of the melodic lines. The sound quality is garbage but I think that’s the fault of whoever decided to pick out a 480p video for this. But yeah, wasn’t thrilled by this but it’s better than a lot of stuff in this contest. (DECENT)

Iceland – I dunno, there’s something about the chill guitar line mixed with the loose yet somehow still tense drums. I’m generally not too into the rambling, spoken-word style of vocals here either but he mixes it up on this one with some more melodic lines and something approaching a hook. The horns that come in towards the middle and the buildup at the end, too, for a relatively short song it moves well within its runtime and has the kind of emotional pathos I really like. This isn’t even the best song on the album, IMO, but the louder ones I figure would do even worse in song contests than this one. Honestly I totally forgot there were even harsher vocals in this one lol because they’re such a small part of this and totally justified by the rising intensity.

Liechtenstein – Nice meme. Take a wild guess as to how much of this I listened to.

USA – I think the general sound of the cleaner parts of this is a maybe a touch too sterile (or that I’m just not that keen on his voice) and it feels a bit lacking in dynamics too. It does get louder towards the end and I dig that part a fair bit even if I’m not sold on the harsh vox either, nor the djenty riff. But there’s some power there regardless I can’t really explain. I can do way better in the genre, though, I feel, but this is likely to get decent points regardless. (DECENT)

Egypt – Oh dear, it’s a live performance. Oh god, it’s 8 minutes long. I tried listening to this album last year (the rerelease) but the super low-fi sound of it was a pretty big dealbreaker for me so I’m honestly surprised this sounds as clean as it does. Granted, I don’t think I made it past the 13-minute opener (what the heck) so. I’m not really sure where the song split here is or if there is one at all though it just seems like one (definitely overlong) song. But I mean, it’s decently pleasant enough and there’s at least minor changes going on throughout. I think it’s maybe lacking the level of emotional intensity I’d like it to have, but, it’s nice. (DECENT)

i guess there's enough stuff here for me to put together a top 10
Last edited by Parama on Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:06 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 73, Parama wrote:Granted, I don’t think I made it past the 13-minute opener
oh pleaaaase let me join your cult~
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided

Return to “General Discussion”