Song Contest 134 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:01 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Okay I won't have much time the rest of the week so... let's do this

Spoiler: My Ratings
Brazil - so basically it's a twist on Crocodile Rock but a little more shouty. To be honest, I'm surprised I enjoyed this and it is noticeably different from the original song in a way I can dig. Overall, pretty solid opening song but definitely room for something better. 7.5 / 10

Poland - Look I found Blues Saraceno because of watching Lucifer and then I heard this song and I knew I'd enter it. It just has an incredible sound, it's not too country/folk rock, not too dark but still has the same feel that I love from the genre in a way I think other people will enjoy.

Latvia - YOU DO NOT NEED TO SHOUT THIS SONG. IN FACT PLEASE STOP SHOUTING THIS SONG. Also this song is more spoken word poetry with a backing track, but like damn is the leads voice annoying when he shouts like that. And well, he said if I ask him to he'll shut up, so please do. Still I can appreciate what he's going for and the backing track is not that bad if not my thing. 2.5/10

Costa Rica - This doesn't quite speak to my soul like the last song that Costa Rica entered, but it's honestly pretty nice and chill and I enjoy it a lot. The lead singer's voice is all that and it does feel a bit repetitive at times, but still pretty good. 8/10

Bolivia - okay...this is okay at the start. I am very nervous about whether this will transition to something cool or something I can't stand which means that this will likely end up being really high or low. And instead it just...never gets off the ground. Like it's really really relaxing but like I need...something more than just ambient music and slight transitions. It was enjoyable and memorable but not quite what I want. Still would listen again. 7/10

Northern Ireland - So this woman can sing, but like...I just don't think Imagine is the right song to showcase vocal strength. Like what makes the original imagine so great is how simple and humble it is and this...takes that away to show how strongly this girl can sing. It's a huge risk covering songs and this was...not done right. Still a good original song and a good singer so... 6/10

Sweden - Such 80s rock it's kind of great. Strong vocals, good guitar and man is it easy to just listen to. I can feel the emotion in the song, everything. Not perfect, but damn is it great. 8.5/10

USA - Kind of angsty, decent chorus, decent guitar. Very much a peg song that doesn't go all shouty and fortunately for me, I dig those. Not gonna get my top rating but still quite enjoyable. 7/10

Italy - Well the song says it...this song is fire. Like it's amazing, it's not too overbearing at anything it does, it has a nice sort of funky beat, it does sythnthy stuff and all while maintaining it's identity. The singer is also great, though he does sound a bit like bruno mars. Like this song is low key incredible and I owe whoever submitted this a huge thank you. The only complaint is the use of the lyric "prom queens" feels a bit clunky at the start but like aside from that...it's just everything I want in a song. 9.75/10

Portugal - This had a hard song to follow but damn did it deliver. Like it's fun and upbeat without being too heavy. Lead singer is pretty decent and damn do I like the main riff even if I'm certain I've heard it in other songs before. I's just a fun romp to dance to and I absolutely love it. 9/10

Norway - The only song I know from Alan Walker is Faded (which is great) and while I don't think this is better than that, it is definitely an enjoyable song. I think it gets a bit too EDM at times (and in a way I think very much detracts from the song) but damn did I like it when it first started...mostly cause it reminded me of a song called Pirate Ship. Not exactly my thing and gets a bit too repetitive near the end but still pretty good. 6.75/10

Hungary - This is interesting given how few views the video has, very curious what it entails. The song never really takes off for me and the harmony is just kind of okay. Apparently the band is a satirical political band and I appreciate that that genre exists but this song doesn't quite do it for me. Still not terrible. 5.75/10

Palau - This started and no. I skipped ahead and it got worse. No NOOOOOOOOOOO. 1/10

Macedonia - Okay this is a bouncy start...it can go wrong but maybe it won't. Not loving the keyboard but it depends on what gets added and... I did not really need that next whatever. Yeah no....my ears are being hurt by all the noises. This is not my jam, this is not my thing at all. And it only gets weirder later on. 2.5/10

Sudan - It starts and no...please no...ow ow my ears. This has been a trifecta of terrible imo. I hate this. 1/10

Bhutan - This title is quite interesting...will it deliver? Dammit Bhutan...I trust you to deliver stuff I like...I do not like this. Like it's not quite dubstep with anime girl sounds but it pretty much is. I will give it points for that description but not much more than that :( 3/10
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:59 pm

Post by schadd_ »

Spoiler:
brazil: he's great! tragically i don't happen to really recognize or like the songs that are probably being mashed up. oh, the tragedy. 3.3

poland: mmm this song was made in a factory. youtube description says "i own nothing" which is always a funny overshoot. um, this is fine. 3.5

latvia: a couple of the dudes in the cover thing look cool. music video kind of uncomfortable. he has a kind of fry voice when he's talking like its coming from the back of his mouth. GOAT ahhh. the singer guy looks like a disney channel character. sure! 3.7

costa rica: well i
dont
like any of
those
4 guys. oh and then the band name! drums neat. waiting for the singer to be bad though. . . . ... ... oh he sounds like the red hot chili peppers guy! anthony kiedis. this is fine i guess. very neutral energy. "ca'aj". 3.6

bolivia: i took that picture : ) !!! i thot this had a fun music video.

fake ireland: hi davina michelle! john lennon suxed, so good luck. pretty regular pop song ver. 3.5

sweden: hmmm. i don't wanna lose your love, toniiiight. umm i never really liked the queen sort of rock thing. 3.2

usa: singer is kinda neat. this is probably gonna like kick up unfortunately. oh but it did it in a kinda cool way! ahhh no it turned into a song contest song lol. feels like im playing tony hawk again! im gonna graciously evaluate it on the first minute abouts. 4.0

italy: ahh watch out dude theres a candle burning on u. kind of looks like a less hot version of mattp. is this a dude doing adele voice in falsetto ?? ?? im googling this dude and he looks like "just heard about fire damn that shit sucks man." um, this is fine. 3.6

portugal: i'll trust your judgement that this isn't a commercial. ooh they got cheeto to be in the video!! i think dua lipa's dancing was better. this is fine. damn i could have sworn cheeto was straight. 3.6

norway: this youtube video title has so much stuff in it beyond the point of being remotely descriptive. that said, the song really sounds like something that has that title. is the video like a video games thing?? ohh ok and then it became that european style repeating synth melody thing. and the video is like trying to convince me "this song is really good!!!!" again. 3.0

hungary: uh this one just falls... short. one of the band members is incredibly cancelled. tragic 3.2

palau: weirdly this has a very faint kpop scent, which is nice because japan sat this one out. i do not have a good guess as to this language. this is good actually. does it make me pretentious to say its a little bit relaxing? like i was like "auh..." when it ended. 4.1

macedonia: kinda dig the ringing bass drum. bing bing bing. kind of harkens to the lovely planet soundtrack which i like. fun track! kind of thick but not really overdone, there's a lot of little organ. 4.0

sudan: fell asleep to this once last night, lets see if i do it again. the singer sounds like hhrrghuuuuhhh somebody. axl rose /?? probably a bad comparison and i made it for no reason. fuckgcgh its 6 minutes but the top comment says the outro is good ahhhh. yeah ok the outro is kind of nice. interesting seventh chord (?) voice leading thingy in guitar. 3.8

bhutan: no
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Post by PJ. »

One anime girl sound and everyone gets bent out of shape...smh
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:20 am

Post by InflatablePie »

schadd_ wrote:the singer sounds like hhrrghuuuuhhh somebody. axl rose /??
he sounds like some amalgam of the lead singers from
Coheed and Cambria
, Iron Maiden, and Whitesnake

[edit] I forgot what Coheed sounded like. idk he also sounds familiar to me and I can't place the correct comparison
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:33 am

Post by schadd_ »

ok!
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:17 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 28, InflatablePie wrote:Whitesnake
I'm just pumped that someone else knows about Whitesnake.

I grew up on my dad's tapes of theirs and still love them.
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:30 am

Post by InflatablePie »

whitesnake has more than one song?

MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:46 am

Post by MiniDeathStar »

Whitesnake have some great songs, too bad their vocalist David Coverdale is a top grade arsehole. :dead:
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:47 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 31, InflatablePie wrote:whitesnake has more than one song?
They have whole albums. Multiple albums.
Show

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:18 am

Post by vizIIsto »

I wish people would vote my entry based on the song they hear, not on knowing about the original or the abundance of other lame covers that are out there.
It's like saying you don't like Milka white chocolate because you know the original milk chocolate tastes better and many of the other variants suck balls.
White chocolate is yummy, okay. So vote it based on that yumminess.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:30 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 34, vizIIsto wrote:I wish people would vote my entry based on the song they hear, not on knowing about the original or the abundance of other lame covers that are out there.
It's like saying you don't like Milka white chocolate because you know the original milk chocolate tastes better and many of the other variants suck balls.
I think that's the danger in doing a cover of such a well known song. Especially when the original is probably the best version of it.

Like her doing the cover was a showcase for her voice, not a reinvention or the song in some new and unique way. So in reality we aren't even judging the song here because it's not about the song it's about her voice.

Asking us to forget that it's a cover is impossible. We will always judge it against the original and if it isn't bringing anything new to the table then we have to judge off voice alone otherwise we would all submit versions of the greatest songs in history and expect easy wins.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:54 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

oops forgot i entered this
green shirt thursdays
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:12 am

Post by Aurathebirb »

Ratings possibly skewed based on how tired I was when listening to these

Spoiler:
(7/10) Brazil - Neil - I like his mashups and this is one of my favorite so this meets my approval.

(5/10) Poland - Blue - His voice is a bit too nice for this genre of music I think? Like it almost sounds like a Johnny Cash song. I guess it's okay. Not too exciting. Too clean.

(3/10) Latvia - Hobo - This has some elements that I normally like but its put together in a way that I just find annoying. Also can't stand the singer.

(6/10) Bolivia - Low - Yeah this is pretty neat, drags on a bit too much in the second half though. Feels like it could've had more progression. I can't say I didn't enjoy it though.

(2/10) Northern Ireland - Davina - Kinda boring, don't like singing of this type

(4/10) Sweden - Rainbow - Hmm this organ intro is going on a bit too long. Alright it's a pretty dull 80s rock song.

(5.5/10) USA - Puppy - I was gonna say it kind of reminds me of Andrew Jackson Jihad but it's not really chaotic enough. I guess it's alright.

(7.5/10) Italy - Perta - Ooo this is pretty funky. That's good. I'm not huge on the singer but its yeah I guess its prettty good.

(8/10) Portugal - Rugrats - Good song good aesthetic yep. Maybe first for me.

(1.5/10) Norway - Alan - why overwatch tho? Song is meh, not my thing and the sped up vocals are really grating

(3/10) Hungary - Moxie - I dunno don't like folk acapella that much and the lyrics don't really capture as much as I thought they might.

(2.5/10) Palau - AWS - I'm not really big on metal, but a few songs in the genre are alright. This didn't pass that bias.

(4/10) Macedonia - Hal - I liked the start but didn't really care for where it went. Curious what the original was like, this sounds sped up.

(3.5/10) Sudan - Protest - oh no more metal. I guess its better than the other metal song. Wait no I like the singer less. Yeah about the same. Wait no this intro is pretty decent. Some nice guitar playing here. I guess that bumps it up though I'd never listen to the whole song so I guess its still pretty low

(2/10) Bhutan - Weeb - why
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 34, vizIIsto wrote:I wish people would vote my entry based on the song they hear, not on knowing about the original or the abundance of other lame covers that are out there.
I wish people would vote my entry based on the song they hear and not on it being weeb shit =(
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Spoiler:
Brazil (Neil Cicierega)- C-: I'm a huge fan of mashups and some of Neil's stuff is alright. But he always veers a bit too far into weird for me to actually enjoy it.

Poland (Blues Saraceno) - C: This is fine. It's nothing earthshattering and a lot of it sounds pretty generic? But overall, yeah, it's fine.

Latvia (Hobo Johnson) - C+: This is interesting. I usually hate the whole "I am rapping but screaming in the process" thing but it kinda fits the vibe of the song. Not my favorite.

Costa Rica (Whitest Boy Alive) - B-: It's got some good vibes. Probably my favorite so far.

Bolivia (Low) - D: This is nothing.

Northern Ireland (Davina Michelle) - C: Covers are eh IMO, and this one specifically tries to take on an all-time classic. Her voice does that Christina Aguilera-style lilt. She has a good voice, it's solid, but I don't love this interpretation of things.

Sweden (Rainbow) - C+: Not bad at all. I dunno, not much else to say about it. Has a very Meatloaf vibe and that's a good thing for as good as a Meatloaf vibe can be.

USA (PUP) - D: This is just not my thing at all.

Portugal (The Regrettes) - B: Alright, there we go. This is definitely my speed. I'm not sure it does a ton of new or interesting things but it does what it does well.

Norway (Alan Walker) - D: I really don't like EDM.

Hungary (Moxy Fruvous) - D: Yeah, not my thing at all. Yikes.

Palau (AWS) - D: See above.

Macedonia (HALFBY) - C-: See Norway, but I did find myself more willing to tap my foot during it.

Sudan (Protest the Hero) - D: See Palau.

Bhutan (cute girls...) - D: See Sudan.

Well, yikes, there were just a lot of things in this contest that were immediate passes from me because I just don't like/understand the genre.
green shirt thursdays
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 38, PJ. wrote:I wish people would vote my entry based on the song they hear and not on it being weeb shit =(
I voted on the song. It didn't spark joy in me.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

I'll have u know i like some anime songs
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:09 am

Post by Plotinus »

i remembered to vote!
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

In post 42, Plotinus wrote:i remembered to vote!

Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Votes are due at the end of today!
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:31 am

Post by Formerfish »

Hey Pie, I like your quote. Where's it from?
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:37 am

Post by InflatablePie »

I wanna say it's from House MD, but I honestly forget at this point and google didn't help me any

Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:46 am

Post by Formerfish »

I could totally see that, i miss that show.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:35 am

Post by Song Contest »

I will start posting results at 11:30 a.m. Pacific time
Song Contest
Song Contest