Advice for Building a Desktop

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:15 am

Post by Bitmap »

In post 48, Pine wrote:
In post 47, Bitmap wrote:The build looks good. Might want to consider R5 3600X as your processor instead of just the normal R5 3600.

If you have a bit extra money, you can splurge on a better case. It'll make building the PC a lot easier.
Got a case recommendation? I liked the price and the aesthetics, but form is the vassal of function
https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/h ... 10-section
In post 49, Pine wrote:Also, can you explain the substantive difference between the R5 3600 and the 3600X, aside from a 20-25% price increase?
Minor clock frequency increase by 0.2. Not sure if it's worth the price increase but it's up to you.
"I give up on trying to read you. You're unimaginably scummy, with a dose of ultra-Town thrown in for spice."
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:34 am

Post by Pine »

Yeah, but that’s more than twice what the other one would cost. Is there a space issue? Cooling? Sockets or something?

Remember, I’m parting this out to family for Christmas, so any parts I can keep down to a reasonable price (like $50 vs $110) are important.

By all means, if there’s a substantive difference, I’ll go with the better model. I just don’t know what those differences are.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:20 am

Post by Bitmap »

In post 51, Pine wrote:Yeah, but that’s more than twice what the other one would cost. Is there a space issue? Cooling? Sockets or something?

Remember, I’m parting this out to family for Christmas, so any parts I can keep down to a reasonable price (like $50 vs $110) are important.

By all means, if there’s a substantive difference, I’ll go with the better model. I just don’t know what those differences are.
Usually better cases have better cable management space and are aesthetically cleaner. Otherwise your case is fine if cost is a big factor and they could always upgrade down the line.
"I give up on trying to read you. You're unimaginably scummy, with a dose of ultra-Town thrown in for spice."
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 49, Pine wrote:Also, can you explain the substantive difference between the R5 3600 and the 3600X, aside from a 20-25% price increase?
Integrated graphics on the x so if something goes wrong with your video card you can actually boot up with integrated graphics and see if you can fix the problem instead of buying a new video card or having a cheap video card on deck for emergencies.

Base Clock time and overclock potential are important, but like I told the other day, AMD admitted to having "slow" chips in the 3rd gen so you could very well get unlucky and get a chip that doesn't reach the listed values. I think the 3600x is likely worth the money but maybe not for you(i.e you're not overclocking and an in case of emergency situation might be "take it to a cpu guy").

But honestly, I have more issue with the motherboard than the decision between the cpu. I really, really do not like AsRock. Everything I've ever gotten from them has been defective and that's common in my circle of people I talk to and a lot of those prebuilts on NewEgg with trash reviews have AsRock components that bluescreen and shit. I think the 200 dollar boards for the x570s are just the best x570s on the market and getting a budget Asrock x570 board just feels like a trap. If you're going to go cheaper than 200, please go with the Gigabyte x570 Gaming X.
Last edited by PJ. on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:00 pm

Post by PJ. »

Also a couple links for you on your GPU selection but I know nvidia boys gonna nvidia

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 4049vs4045

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 4049vs4046
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:47 pm

Post by Pine »

Ah, onboard backup graphics would make a difference

I have no specific preference on Nvidia or whomever.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Post by PJ. »

I might actually be wrong on the integrated graphics, did some additional research and it's unclear to me whether it has it or not. It certainly has higher clock speeds, an auto-overclocking software and a better cooler bundled with it though that doesn't come with the non-x.

If it were me, I'd keep the 3600, switch out the nvidia card for the cheaper AMD card that has equal/slightly better performance, and use the money I'd saved on the GPU to get the better motherboard. Because to be frank, you'd be way better off going with the older motherboard without PCIe 4.0 and flashing the BIOS(B450 Tomahawk) at that price point than getting a shitty budget asrock board.

I wouldn't stress about the case because you can get reasonable cable management with zip ties.

literally a picture of a build using that case with totally reasonable cable management.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Post by Enter »

Most modern cases that I've had have had more than enough wire-holders and zip ties for my needs
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:17 am

Post by Bitmap »

If you go with an AMD processor, consider getting RAM with higher speeds.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:32 am

Post by Pine »

We’re not building a dream PC here - I am budget constrained

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:50 am

Post by Bitmap »

Ah ok, you're fine then.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Post by PJ. »

he already has 16gb 3200. Ram speeds are neglible anyway.
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:06 pm

Post by Bitmap »

I always thought AMD processors got a nice benefit from higher clocked ram speeds.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:46 pm

Post by Alisae »

any suggestions for a monitor?
While I feel like this one is good enough to be a 2nd monitor to like, have MS or something else open, the screen tearing is becoming such a problem that I feel like its about time to get a 2nd one
GTKAS
| here.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:33 am

Post by Pine »

Update:

I’m zeroing in on the “rough draft” of this build. I added on my SSD to check compatibility, and left it there for now to complete the build. For a monitor, I have a lightly-used 19-inch HDMI-compatible TV in storage, which will do temporarily. I’m aware of potential lag issues between TV monitors compared to purpose-built monitors, and will be looking to replace it in the late/winter early spring.

I’ve done a bit of research on GPUs, and have been pointed towards the upper-end Radeon cards repeatedly within my budget bracket, especially the RX 5700 XT chipset.

Part list here

Thoughts?

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:11 am

Post by Xtoxm »

i feel like you're kinda overkilling on the ram given the cpu/gpu selected, why not start with 16 and upgrade later if u want the 32? since ur on a budget
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:22 am

Post by Pine »

It should only have 16. I’ve been tweaking the parametric filters to include more items, it may have saved wrong

Edit: Yep that’s what happened. I refined the RAM filter this morning and both the new and old were showing up

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:42 am

Post by Xtoxm »

mmk.
on a similar note, do feel you need the +2tb hdd off the bat?
1tb ssd is a good amount

you already got other peripherals, ie mouse/kb/headphones?

choices for ram and mb look good, i rate both.
R5 should be good for cpu. (idk if ppl typically do this for r5 but: u considered a dedicated cooler as opposed to stock? just to throw it out there)
i'm not familiar with you chosen gpu.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:59 am

Post by Pine »

Do I *need* 3TB storage? No.

The 1TB SSD is salvaged from my laptop, and has my OS and major programs etc. It’s about 1/3-1/2 full. I intend to use the HDD for storage of bulkier files and libraries, like music, photos, archived stuff etc., most of which are not presently on the SSD. It’s a luxury addition.

I have all of the needed peripherals. My monitor is only 720p, so it’s next on the list to upgrade. I’ve decided not to part this out for Christmas, and have already purchased case and PSU. Trying to convey what I want to relatives who are not tech-savvy would be a huge headache. The rest I’ll get myself when it goes on sale. The monitor upgrade is not strictly a necessity, but it IS something I can ask for for Christmas. It’s in my wife or parents price range, and the specs are easier to understand for the lay person.

For the CPU, I know it’s more than I need. I’m buying for five years down the line rather than today.

The Sapphire Nitro+ is brand new, and has gotten a boatload of praise. Here is a review.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:37 am

Post by Xtoxm »

that's fair, just checking

r5 is a solid choice, its the chip aimed at gaming and that's what you want. seems to fit with your other selected hardware too.

i'd keep an eye on temps (im excessively paranoid) but it looks like a good build.
Pine wrote:My monitor is only 720p, so it’s next on the list to upgrade.
for sure ;p
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Post by PJ. »

I like the build, obviously.

I have more a theoretical statement that I'd like for other cpu nerds to chime in on then legitimate advice because I'm not sure this is viable for your lifestyle (ie. You have responsibilities). I'd consider skimping on the graphics card now and going with a budget model to get a better mb and processor then in 2 years, get a higher end card. My reasoning for this is that you're essentially stuck with those pieces and the gpu is the easiest thing to upgrade and an rx 580 would handle all your current needs and your processor/mb would be more "future-proof". But again, this is more theoretical then something I suggest for someone with responsibilities.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:26 am

Post by Pine »

This from the guy who was recommending a Tomahawk mb, which is RX 480 iirc.

Just yanking your chain. I had the Tomahawk listed until I read that review of the Nitro+, and it specifically recommended pairing it with an RX570 mb and Ryzen 3000-series. As for the future, it can’t do ray-tracing, but I’ve never been a bleeding-edge kind of guy

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:57 am

Post by PJ. »

B450, and yeah, I just don't find a lot of value in the sub-200 (or the 2 price points above 200) of the x570 boards. The big feature of the 570 boards is PCIE 4.0 and we haven't come close to maxing out PCIE 3.0 yet(and yeah that's contradictory to the notion of future proofing). Also the heatsinks and non-PCI features on the Tomahawk actually are just better than the low end 570. It's a bias :shrug:

But yeah, there's a balance to everything, and your build is wonderful and will last you a while, mostly was just highjacking the thread to see if other people agreed with going big on a processor and upgrading the GPU (and reselling the old unit) was a better way to get more mileage out of a rig instead of getting the best part your budget allows for each unit. I also think that it's a valuable conversation to have just to broaden the scope of what you or someone else would consider.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:26 am

Post by Pine »

Final build

As far as I can tell, there's no point to waiting for Black Friday for PC components, only peripherals. I'll wait on the monitor, but I'm pulling the trigger on the rest after my next paycheck.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare

Return to “General Discussion”